PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40 Questions

azairman86
08-15-11, 19:19
Everyone has been telling me how great the M&P's are but I'm still on the fences from their earlier problems. (Extractor issues, the Strikers breaking, and the bad triggers) Now I know that was a long time ago so does anyone know if those issues have been corrected. If so what would I need to look for when purchasing one to make sure its not one of the earlier models? I also have read that the M&P 9's have problems with certain types of 9mm ammo, does anyone know if the 40's have a similar issue?

Ryan327
08-15-11, 19:34
I would say just go out and buy one! You'll be happy in the end.

I have a very early .40 and and pretty new 9c. The .40 has some issues, but in the end I don't think they were really the guns fault, but sent it in for service just to be safe.

I thought it was having light primer strikes, got a new striker and still had them. Then later with my reloads was having issues with crushed brass...ended up being the loads were way too light.

Sent the gun in anyway and they changed the striker out and put in a new recoil spring.

I tossed the rounds that were giving me light strikes (Georgia Arms Canned heat) since they did the same thing in my .40 Kimber. Upped my reloads and have had not a single issue since. So I don't blame the gun, really an ammo issue for both.

My 9mm has not had a single hiccup. If you are buying new you won't get an old one, if used I'd say don't worry about it. But if you do care don't buy one with serial #'s starting with MP XXXXX.

And the trigger isn't bad at all from the factory, it's no 1911 but its not garbage.

RogerinTPA
08-15-11, 20:10
The full size 40 and 45 are the only ones that I haven't had an issue with. The full size 9 and 9c have had a few minor issues, like light primer strikes after shooting 4-5K rounds of eastern european ammo with the red primer sealant. It absolutely clogged the striker and channel, like red jelled wax. After disassembling the striker and cleaning with is rubbing alcohol, and using western 9mm ammo since, they have been GTG. I had 1 dead trigger on the 9c, but after a thorough cleaning and inspection, I could not duplicated it, even several thousand rounds later. The M&Ps are pretty reliable, but I run the 9s much harder than the others, with both well over 15K (9c) and 20K(FS9) rounds fired. The 40 and the 45 are my favorites to shoot, but since I shoot quite a bit, they are too cost prohibitive for what I do, except for the occasional monthly shoot and pulling bed stand duty.

azairman86
08-16-11, 11:57
So the 40's didnt have the same complications that the 9's had or they were fixed by now. That's good to know

azairman86
08-16-11, 12:00
Does anyone know if they come with the frame in OD Green and the slide in black? Or do they just have Tan

DocGKR
08-16-11, 14:04
azairman86--Did you go to S&W's website and look?

FWIW, I believe the S&W M&P40 is the best .40 cal pistol I have shot to date. I was involved in a M&P40 trial at a large agency where four M&P40's fired 7000 rounds each in 1 week without any significant issues. Up to this point, we have not seen any major problems yet with M&P40 & 45's--they just keep steadily improving. The Apex duty kits offer a substantial improvement to the M&P trigger feel. An M&P40 w/ambi safety and Apex duty kit will be the service pistol I'll pick if I ever go back to patrol duties again.

azairman86
08-18-11, 04:40
Yeah I looked and only saw the Tan VTAC one. \

Thats good to know about the 40's. Is the APEX trigger standard or is it an after market? The manual safety looked to be kinda flimsy.

chapperjoe
08-18-11, 06:25
are the .40 M&P's cheaper?
Or is that just on the second hand market....

jmreagan
08-18-11, 19:25
I agree with DocGKR about the M&P.40fs being the best .40 to date. I have a M&P.40fs with 1k trouble free rounds with Blazer Brass and Blazer Aluminum and self defense ammo. Never a hiccup. It's was made in December 2010. I've dry fired it maybe 1500 times with no problems. OP, just make sure you buy one with a silver striker and your good to go. All the teething issues are done with the .40 versions. I have the Apex trigger with the RAM and it is the closest thing to a 1911 trigger in a polymer pistol. I have a .40c model too that is just as good. Buy with confidence and enjoy the platform.

C4IGrant
08-18-11, 19:49
Everyone has been telling me how great the M&P's are but I'm still on the fences from their earlier problems. (Extractor issues, the Strikers breaking, and the bad triggers) Now I know that was a long time ago so does anyone know if those issues have been corrected. If so what would I need to look for when purchasing one to make sure its not one of the earlier models? I also have read that the M&P 9's have problems with certain types of 9mm ammo, does anyone know if the 40's have a similar issue?

All issues have been corrected and to be honest, the most reliable M&P made is the one in 40.

In regards to the 9mm having issues with ammo, it was always with the Winchester ammo (more specifically white box). WIth that said, if you shot 1,000 rds of this ammo, you might have 1 or 2 FTE.

We have NEW M&P 40's in stock (to include the FDE Range Kit), Raven holsters for them along with Apex Tactical components (which we professionally install).

C4

C4IGrant
08-18-11, 19:51

Thats good to know about the 40's. Is the APEX trigger standard or is it an after market? The manual safety looked to be kinda flimsy.

Apex Tactical offers after market trigger upgrades that totally change the M&P trigger X 10.

C4

C4IGrant
08-18-11, 19:52
are the .40 M&P's cheaper?
Or is that just on the second hand market....

All M&P's are the same price (no matter the caliber less certain 45's).

C4

jmreagan
08-19-11, 06:31

The M&P safety is solid.

jmreagan
08-19-11, 06:47
All issues have been corrected and to be honest, the most reliable M&P made is the one in 40

C4

Would that translate into the M&P .40 the problem compacts as well? My .40c has been flawless along with my .40fs.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP.
C4, if I were to swap in 9mm Storm Lake barrels in my M&P .40fs and c models would they be reliable enough for carry/home defense purposes or would this be considered a range toy?

ZombieDefenseHQ
08-19-11, 06:57
Out of all my handguns, if I had to choose only 1... it would be my M&P40c without hesitation. Add a couple Apex Tactical key components and you make your go-to-gun even better.

C4IGrant
08-19-11, 08:54
Would that translate into the M&P .40 the problem compacts as well? My .40c has been flawless along with my .40fs.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP.
C4, if I were to swap in 9mm Storm Lake barrels in my M&P .40fs and c models would they be reliable enough for carry/home defense purposes or would this be considered a range toy?

Conversion barrels fall into the category of "guilty until proven innocent." Meaning that if I had one, I would really test it before I would view it as anything other than a range gun (no matter who made the conversion barrel).

C4