PDA

View Full Version : Colt CCO (Talo)...any info?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-15-11, 21:46
Hey guys,

I just noticed the Talo Colt CCO. This seems like on heck of a pistol. Has anyone picked one up yet?

wetidlerjr
08-16-11, 06:32
You might try 1911forum.com for some info. I, too, have thought about one but after picking up a "Wiley Clapp" LWT Commander (also from TALO) I find it hard to justify the purchase as there is little or no advantage for me with a "CCO" style pistol for CCW. :cool:

turdbocharged
08-16-11, 07:33
The Talo 1911's are beautiful. I love their Royal Blue finish, although I end up being stupid and not shooting it. I hate babying guns as they are just tools, but that Royal Blue is sooo shiney... So I got a Colt to beat the hell out of it.

High Tower
08-16-11, 13:40
Greg,

I have picked one up as in fondled it. We had one in the shop for a couple of days.

It was a Colt = needed some TLC inside of it, but other than that it was nice. I would prefer the Dan Wesson CCO, but it costs half again as much. The price savings could be spent on a quality smith to tune it up and then you would end up with a really, really nice carry gun.

Dump1567
08-19-11, 12:21
I bought one, but still in a waiting period. Like the weight and feel. Shorter grip for concealability, but can add a longer 8 round mag if needed. Nice fitted beavertail. Even the short trigger feels good with my big hands.

Overall well pleased. Just need to actually pick it up and shoot it.

DAT85
08-24-11, 04:07
Had one pass through the shop I work in.(FFL transfer).
Purchaser let me handle it.
I would compare it to a Dan Wesson CCO in both fit,finish and price.
The DW CCO has Novak style sights and the proprietary finish but the Colt,well,it's a Colt.
Some people put a premium on the "prancing pony" :)

DAT85

ThirdWatcher
08-24-11, 06:03
The Talo 1911's are beautiful. I love their Royal Blue finish, although I end up being stupid and not shooting it. I hate babying guns as they are just tools, but that Royal Blue is sooo shiney...

IMHO, a little honest wear on a nice pistol just adds character.

Smuckatelli
08-24-11, 11:33
I have a Talo Colt Night Commander (http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=COO4091HCC&items=talo) that Santa gave me last Christmas. I have fired 2850 rounds through it so far with no modifications. Multiple types of ammo, only had FTF issues with Winchester PDX1 230 gr JHP.

wetidlerjr
10-22-11, 08:46
but I couldn't resist buying a Colt CCO (TALO) when I found one locally for a great price. I changed the stocks for some VZs and switched out the rear sight for a King-Tappen as well as replacing the Delrin MSH with an aluminum VZ part. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/TALO_COLTCCO101111.jpg

Captiva
02-04-12, 07:58
I handled both the Dan Wesson CCO ($1,535) and the Colt Talo edition CCO ($1,100) at two separate local gun shops the past week.

The fit and finish was better on the DW, series 70, modern sights, cleaner break.

The Colt was very nicely finished, series 80, John Browning sights, about a 5+ # clean break.

I suspect both guns would go bang reliably, with the paper punching accuracy nod going to the DW.

Sam
02-04-12, 10:17
Like Captiva said, the DW CCO is a better executed gun.

I have handled both guns at the SHOT show. I have shot the DW CCO as a friend of mine has one. The Colt has more sharp edges and in my opinion is just a slightly dressed up gun. The trigger is heavy as described by Captiva, while the DW has better trigger and better sights.

I'd go with the DW even though it cost a little more. If you look hard enough, some online dealers have better prices than gun store prices. My buddy paid less than $1300 for his.

phirehawk
02-10-12, 22:51
I've shot both. I came really close to buying the Colt when Sig stepped in and offered a deal on a C3+ I couldn't pass on. The CCO style of gun is my favorite CCW gun. The DW is definitely better executed, but it doesn't say Colt. By that I mean DW is owned by CZ and I can't bring myself to pay that much for a CZ. Don't ask about the Sig, same story, but if you knew what I paid...

To put this into perspective, my first 1911 was a Kimber CDP Compact II. Same style gun. Out of all of the above, the Colt felt the best to me. I (don't shoot, please) prefer a Series 80 gun for carry (my Colt Rail Gun has one as well) and all but the DW offered that. The DW is a slightly nicer trigger, but I didn't buy this as a range queen or target gun. All of them are reliable, and if money were no object, I'd take the Colt and trick it out.

Stainless is a big deal for me and the sights on the Sig were hard to pass up. The CCO concept is gaining ground quickly and you will do well with either.

The DW feels better executed, but the Colt feels more like a tool. Both shoot well and to point of aim at ten yards, but the Colt lacks night sights and front strap checkering. Both will serve well, but in the end you have to be happy with your choice. I am very happy with mine (even if it has an external extractor - it works!).

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-12-12, 10:07
My CCO has a trigger that comes in right at 5 pounds. The slide is dehorned under the slide but it clearly wasn't tumbled to remove every edge. It does, however, have the unmatched deep Colt blueing and the classic commander hammer.I sent my slide off the Heinie to get the Ledge sights installed with a tritium front and a black rear the way I prefer.

1911-A1
02-15-12, 18:21
I played with one in the local shop. In all honesty, it didn't feel much different than a standard S70. The slide felt a little rough when I retracted it, and the trigger wasn't anything to write home about. They had it for about $1080.

notorious_ar15
02-15-12, 20:10
I think the price stated for the Dan Wesson CCO is a little high. You can find one online for around $1350.
I have been able to shoot my friend's DW CCO on a number of occasions. I think for the options you get it is a good choice in the market for a "CCO" size 1911.
I will also say that my previous experiences with DW\CZ customer service have been good (extractor tuned). Sample size of one, of course.

turdbocharged
02-16-12, 07:16
From what I've read they were a limited production 800 or so. I'd like to take a chance on a Colt CCO. Would be a neat companion to my government model. Only thing is I'd have to get better sights I'm not a fan of those I've seen in the pictures.

wetidlerjr
02-17-12, 04:43
From what I've read they were a limited production 800 or so. I'd like to take a chance on a Colt CCO. Would be a neat companion to my government model. Only thing is I'd have to get better sights I'm not a fan of those I've seen in the pictures.

The new Colt Special Combat Officers (CCO style) is a Custom Shop pistol that you order with whatever you want (to a point).

Special Combat Officers
Ordering information for the Special Combat Officers is as follows. The base gun will be a lightweight receiver and carbon steel slide. Base finish is black anodize and blue. The sights are basic combat sights as on the 1991. Grip safety is the new Colt upswept with palm swell. Main spring housing is standard polymer serrated. Base cost is $1125 MSRP. Ordering will be done through the custom shop by your dealer as we do for custom SAA’s. All options will be priced according to our 2011 Custom Shop Catalog or upon request. Order lead time at this point is approximately 6 months, but we expect that to improve over the next 90 days. This model will not appear in our catalog at this time.

Above from the Colt Rep on 1911forum.com

This pistol is listed in the Colt 2012 catalog under the "Custom Shop". You can download this catalog (PDF) on the Colt web site. :smile:

turdbocharged
02-17-12, 08:05
Oh I didnt even know that one existed. I thought we were talking about the Talo CCO.

wetidlerjr
02-17-12, 11:02
Oh I didnt even know that one existed. I thought we were talking about the Talo CCO.

We were but I noticed you didn't care for the TALO CCO sights so I gave you another option. :smile: