PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new polymer .45.

Mauser KAR98K
08-15-11, 22:15
I'm really really leaning towards the S&W M&P just by the feel (close to what my 1911's feel like), gear options, post teething problems, and that it isn't an overly large weapon. I'm looking for this to be a competition weapon and a CCW/practical weapon. In summary, this will be the .45 I will own and shoot for quite awhile. My questions are: how are reloads, especially with RN lead cast bullets, brass wear and multiple brass use with the M&P?

I'm also still considering two to three other pistols that could take its place: FN FNP, the Springfield XD, and the HK USP.

I like the USP for the cool factor and that it is HK, but I'm not made out of money, and it seems to me, and how I dress normally, that it could be a little difficult to conceal (yes, I'm wanting a FS pistol).

The FNP has the 15 shot capacity, and really wasn't as large in the hand purchase as I thought it was going to be, but it is pretty big pistol. I'm also turned off on the factory stippling on it: feels like I'm gripping a block of dull tacks. However, the round capacity, ambi features, maintenance and ease of the slide still has me looking hard at it.

The XD is also a close second to the FNP just for its reliability my friends, and my history professor praise about. The grip and feel is not as comfortable and natural as the M&P but I had to really notice comparing the two pistols side-by-side. from the .45 my friend had let me shoot, it had a hard recoil to it, compared to my Colt Goldcup Series 80. (plus they look like they came out of SCIFI film).

My choices revolve around that they must be a polymer frame, have the option for an external safety, hi-capacity .45, and is full size, comfortable to almost on par with the 1911, and isn't too difficult to conceal in as a full size frame.

Thanks.

KhanRad
08-15-11, 22:21
Don't over think it too much. The M&P is a fine all around .45acp, and it sounds like that's what you have your eye on anyway. The other choices you listed are not as ergonomic and user friendly. Unless you consider the HK 45.......

Still, go with the M&P.

Mauser KAR98K
08-15-11, 22:26
Don't over think it too much. The M&P is a fine all around .45acp, and it sounds like that's what you have your eye on anyway. The other choices you listed are not as ergonomic and user friendly. Unless you consider the HK 45.......

Still, go with the M&P.

Yeah, that's the thing, the USP and the HK45 feel really good in my hands, and I can manipulate all the magazine releases, safety and slide release without having to shift my hand...but I'm in college, and I'm not made out of money.

Steve S.
08-15-11, 22:55
Yeah, that's the thing, the USP and the HK45 feel really good in my hands, and I can manipulate all the magazine releases, safety and slide release without having to shift my hand...but I'm in college, and I'm not made out of money.

I would first figure out if you want a thumb safety or not. That will X a few off the list. Then I'd suggest handling each safety - should you want one. Those are all fine guns you are looking at - but to ME the M&P and 1911 are the only two handguns that have a well-thought out thumb safety. The HKs and FNs can be difficult to manipulate with a proper grip.

Being able to drop the slide with your firing hand isn't a big deal. I personally like guns with the slide stop far enough away NOT to interfere with my primary thumb. You should really use your reaction hand thumb to either hit the slide stop or go "hand over slide" for dropping the slide.

I also don't think dropping the mag without breaking grip is that important. It can be done on most the guns listed. I would look first at whether you want an American button or European lever for mag release. Either choice will X some more off the list.

For a fullsize .45 of the plastic variety - I'd choose these in this order. 1)M&P45 2) G21 3) HK45. In reality I'd take the M&P45c, G30, and HK45c over the fullsize guns - but that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you get.

And although the HK45 is a dream in the hand - I find it interesting you found the USP to be the most ergonomic. To each their own. I wouldn't worry too much about how it feels in the hand though. It doesn't matter all that much IMHO.

PD Sgt.
08-15-11, 23:28
I would also recommend handling as many as you can before buying. Based on your initial post, I will make a few recommendations from my experience.

You mentioned lead reloads. While there are people who claim to have no problems with these in HKs, HK warns against them in their pistols. It is due to the polygonal rifling, the same as Glock uses (and they recommend against the use of lead as well).

My own M&Ps have cycled just fine with thousands of reloads; lead, plated, and FMJ. These were all in 9mm and .40, but I just ordered a .45 compact and I do not anticipate any problems. To be fair, my HK 45c also has cycled (plated) reloads with no problems either. IMHO, case OAL leads to more problems than brass wear or type.

Personally, I never cared for the XD. The high bore axis bothers me, I much prefer something a little more compact. I am with Steve in saying I would look at the compacts first before going full size for EDC.

HK mags and accessories can get a little pricey. If you are buying a pistol for EDC, you are not just buying the pistol, but the whole system. Spare mags, replacement/spare parts (springs et al.)holsters, weaponlight, etc. should all be factored in.

Personally, I would recommend the M&P. It is able to handle lead reloads, has reasonably priced support/aftermarket parts, has great S&W customer service, adjustable grip panels, and the safety can be fairly easily removed if desired. It also has a very reasonable base price.

Mauser KAR98K
08-16-11, 00:16
I would first figure out if you want a thumb safety or not. That will X a few off the list. Then I'd suggest handling each safety - should you want one. Those are all fine guns you are looking at - but to ME the M&P and 1911 are the only two handguns that have a well-thought out thumb safety. The HKs and FNs can be difficult to manipulate with a proper grip.

Being able to drop the slide with your firing hand isn't a big deal. I personally like guns with the slide stop far enough away NOT to interfere with my primary thumb. You should really use your reaction hand thumb to either hit the slide stop or go "hand over slide" for dropping the slide.

I also don't think dropping the mag without breaking grip is that important. It can be done on most the guns listed. I would look first at whether you want an American button or European lever for mag release. Either choice will X some more off the list.

For a fullsize .45 of the plastic variety - I'd choose these in this order. 1)M&P45 2) G21 3) HK45. In reality I'd take the M&P45c, G30, and HK45c over the fullsize guns - but that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you get.

And although the HK45 is a dream in the hand - I find it interesting you found the USP to be the most ergonomic. To each their own. I wouldn't worry too much about how it feels in the hand though. It doesn't matter all that much IMHO.

I'm a safety freak when it comes to firearms, and I only own two rifles (Mosin Nagent and a K31) that do not have safeties to them. It also means are revolvers are always unloaded. I'm 28 now, but I started shooting my 1911 Gold Cup since I was 9-10ish. That thumb safety is engrained into me. So it is no problem for me to have it on my weapon.

I have a USP airsoft replica I have had for many number of years, and use to do in house draw drillls, and sight picture. When I tries an HK45 on, I really didn't like the finger grooves.In fact, I had changed out a finger groove grip on my AR to a Magpul because the finger groves felt like they were fatiguing my hand. I have thin guitar fingers, so they feel more comfortable close together.

I would also recommend handling as many as you can before buying. Based on your initial post, I will make a few recommendations from my experience.

You mentioned lead reloads. While there are people who claim to have no problems with these in HKs, HK warns against them in their pistols. It is due to the polygonal rifling, the same as Glock uses (and they recommend against the use of lead as well).

My own M&Ps have cycled just fine with thousands of reloads; lead, plated, and FMJ. These were all in 9mm and .40, but I just ordered a .45 compact and I do not anticipate any problems. To be fair, my HK 45c also has cycled (plated) reloads with no problems either. IMHO, case OAL leads to more problems than brass wear or type.

Personally, I never cared for the XD. The high bore axis bothers me, I much prefer something a little more compact. I am with Steve in saying I would look at the compacts first before going full size for EDC.

HK mags and accessories can get a little pricey. If you are buying a pistol for EDC, you are not just buying the pistol, but the whole system. Spare mags, replacement/spare parts (springs et al.)holsters, weaponlight, etc. should all be factored in.

Personally, I would recommend the M&P. It is able to handle lead reloads, has reasonably priced support/aftermarket parts, has great S&W customer service, adjustable grip panels, and the safety can be fairly easily removed if desired. It also has a very reasonable base price.

Thanks for the lead problems with the HK's, PD Sgt. That was a critical analysis I needed to hear and use in my decision. I do lots of reloads for my .45s and 9mm, and right now with my meager income, lead casts is the way I have to roll.

The XD's high bore axis has also been a negative to me. When I was an LEO some moons ago in Florida, weapon retention was a big thing for me in defensive tactics, and was always in the forefront of my mental drills. The XD, to me, looks like a lot of gun a certain individual could grab a hold of in a really bad situation.

To be fair, I have pretty much handled all the pistols I have mentioned above in some form or fashion, with the exception of the M&P .45 that I held one as a compact, but still felt great, though a little wider than the 9mm/.40S&W., but not by much. I have two weeks before I need to purchase one and get signed up for a CCW class, and get confident with drills with whatever weapon system I go for (which is looking really good for the M&P). I'm posting this just as a feeling in case I am overlooking something that could swayed me in some fashion. Easy accessibility of mags, parts, and accessories is also a major mitigating factor, and the M&P is really winning on that front.

I will be buying 1,000 of factory ammo for the break in period before I start running reloads.

m39nut
08-16-11, 07:09
I think the M&P is the way to go. Keep in mind the M&P9 was chosen over the FN in Belgium by their police which says a lot about the design and quality of the pistol.

Magic_Salad0892
08-16-11, 07:19
HK45C, or wait for the striker fired version of the FNX-45.

DeltaKilo
08-16-11, 08:05
HK45C, or wait for the striker fired version of the FNX-45.

Nothing wrong with a hammer.

DocGKR
08-16-11, 14:11
The M&P45 is the first .45 ACP pistol I've liked enough to compel me to abandoned my beloved 1911's that I relied on daily since I was commissioned in 1986 until January of 2011 when I transitioned to the M&P45 w/ambi-safety, Apex Duty Kit, 10-8 magazine base plates, stippled frame and backstrap, 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS, and SF X300. I recently ran an M&P45 in a Pat McNamara class and shot as well with it as any other pistol I've use in that type of setting: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84232

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/greygroupcommunity/MAC%20-%20Castro%20Valley%20-%202011/IMG_0623.jpg

DeltaKilo
08-16-11, 14:30
The M&P45 is the first .45 ACP pistol I've liked enough to compel me to abandoned my beloved 1911's that I relied on daily since I was commissioned in 1986 until January of 2011 when I transitioned to the M&P45 w/ambi-safety, Apex Duty Kit, 10-8 magazine base plates, stippled frame and backstrap, 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS, and SF X300. I recently ran an M&P45 in a Pat McNamara class and shot as well with it as any other pistol I've use in that type of setting: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84232

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/greygroupcommunity/MAC%20-%20Castro%20Valley%20-%202011/IMG_0623.jpg

Darnit, doc, you're costing me money here.

Magic_Salad0892
08-18-11, 18:17
Nothing wrong with a hammer.

I personally prefer striker fired pistols.

ralph
08-18-11, 19:06

B.S. on the lead in HK's comment...(otherwise I pretty much agree with your post) The manual that came with my P-2000 (A USP manual, go figure) makes NO mention of using lead or not, and just to clairfy things, it isn't the polygonal rifling that's the problem..it's the way the bullet transitions from the chamber into the rifling that's the problem, and that problem IS FOUND ONLY ON GLOCKS! On HK's, the start of the rifling has a long bevel that helps guide the bullet into the rifling, on Glocks they have little or no bevel, causing the bullet to scrape some material off as it transitions from the chamber into the rifling, this has been proven to cause problems with GLOCKS,(increasing pressure in the chamber) and not with HK's. Lead can be safely shot in HK's, I've shot several thousand through my P-2000 2-300rnds at a time, and there were never any problems. In fact, I've yet to see a HK barrel that was damaged JUST from the use of lead bullets only, The key here is keeping the velocitys to a reasonable level and you'll be fine, The warning in the manual is just for legal reasons. Lead in a Glock? NO, Lead in a HK? No problem blaze away..People assume that just because you can't shoot lead through a Glock, you can't shoot it through any polygonal barrel, This is hardly the truth.

John_Burns
08-18-11, 19:46
Count me as another M&P convert from the 1911.

I just switched but so far I am very happy with my decision. This darn plastic pistol flat shoots.

I have run 230gr RN lead bullets and 230gr FP lead bullets with great results. It just eats anything you can get to fit in the mag.

I took it to a bowling pin match and shot it better than I did my 1911.

C4IGrant
08-18-11, 19:55
If you are a 1911 fan and like a TS, look no further than the M&P with TS and the Apex Tactical FSS trigger system. You can make the trigger between 4-5LBS and it will have the same short trigger pull like a 1911 has.

C4

Joe R.
08-18-11, 21:24
THREAD HIJACK: Exposed lead in a P7 is not a good idea. Not because of the rifling but rather the gas system. If any is shaved off as the bullet travels past the gas port you will not be very happy when you have to clean the gun. Too much lead and the gun will not function properly.

And yes, I'm pretty sure. I worked for HK ITD for 8 years...

Mauser KAR98K
08-18-11, 21:52
Thanks, everyone. I have week before I can foot the bill for an M&P. I'm gonna try to order from you Grant, but I really want on in black with the thumb safety.

Again, thanks all. Might grab either the HK or FN FNP once I'm outta college and have a really good job...or at least a job.

ccosby
08-18-11, 22:43
Thanks, everyone. I have week before I can foot the bill for an M&P. I'm gonna try to order from you Grant, but I really want on in black with the thumb safety.

Again, thanks all. Might grab either the HK or FN FNP once I'm outta college and have a really good job...or at least a job.

You should be happy with the M&P> I'd personally take it over the XD any day. Just can't shoot the xd as well as other guns. Friends have had the same issue.

The HK pistols are nice as well, the m&p is a good bit cheaper though.

careboy
08-18-11, 22:52
The other choices you listed are not as ergonomic and user friendly.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/18.games.jpg

Wiggity
08-18-11, 23:10
I can tell you that my next pistol will be a usp 45.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-11, 02:42
If you are a 1911 fan and like a TS, look no further than the M&P with TS and the Apex Tactical FSS trigger system. You can make the trigger between 4-5LBS and it will have the same short trigger pull like a 1911 has.

C4

Forget what I said earlier. M&P .45 Midsize.

ralph
08-19-11, 02:55
THREAD HIJACK: Exposed lead in a P7 is not a good idea. Not because of the rifling but rather the gas system. If any is shaved off as the bullet travels past the gas port you will not be very happy when you have to clean the gun. Too much lead and the gun will not function properly.

And yes, I'm pretty sure. I worked for HK ITD for 8 years...

You're quite right,The P7 is the exception to the rule..Other than it, P7m8,m13, Lead can be ran in HK's without problems.

Polizei
08-21-11, 08:43
A few months ago I was running a basic firearms course for a local PD. Their issued firearm is the S&W M&P45. Four of the five guns were mid size and 1 compact. The four mid size guns also had manual safeties and magazine disconnects. All guns had each about round 1000 rds. fired. A problem that was happening was there was a pull of the trigger and nothing happened. They then did a tap, rack, observe and fire. We checked the ejected rd. and it had no hit on the primer. This occurred about 10 times between 4 of the 5 guns. One of the mid size guns ran perfect with no problem. They sent the guns back Smith & Wesson to be checked. Anyone ever have this issue with the 45s? Thanks.

DocGKR
08-21-11, 08:56
The "dead trigger" is a well known issue with some M&P's using the early small sear spring--the solution is to put in a larger sear spring to eliminate the sear bounce that could occasionally result in this condition. The newer M&P's come with the improved sear housing assembly that corrects this issue. Despite being around a lot of M&P's, I have only personally seen it occur one time in an M&P45--in this case a mid-size.

ralph
08-21-11, 09:09
A few months ago I was running a basic firearms course for a local PD. Their issued firearm is the S&W M&P45. Four of the five guns were mid size and 1 compact. The four mid size guns also had manual safeties and magazine disconnects. All guns had each about round 1000 rds. fired. A problem that was happening was there was a pull of the trigger and nothing happened. They then did a tap, rack, observe and fire. We checked the ejected rd. and it had no hit on the primer. This occurred about 10 times between 4 of the 5 guns. One of the mid size guns ran perfect with no problem. They sent the guns back Smith & Wesson to be checked. Anyone ever have this issue with the 45s? Thanks.

Sounds like the infamous "dead trigger" The root problem(as you may be aware) is the small sear spring (.060 dia) These have been changed and are now something like .125 dia. It could be that some of the pistols they sent were older models with the older sear springs. I had it happen to my 9mm M&P, (FS) right after I installed a Apex DCAEK, Apex modified the sear housing to accept the new, larger sear spring, and I've never had another problem. I've got a .45 mid, and never had the dead trigger issue with it, It's got about 3000rnds on it, it had the older sear spring in it. I recently had the Apex FSS installed and had to have a new sear housing installed(I was told this may happen, so It was no suprise) with the larger spring in order to get the FSS to work 100%.

Polizei
08-21-11, 09:14
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to the PD. I don't know how long they have had guns. They were all brand new.

Travelingchild
08-21-11, 09:21
I'm a safety freak when it comes to firearms, and I only own two rifles (Mosin Nagent ...).. that do not have safeties to them. ..

Sorry for the drift but it does.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm
Not user friendly at all (for me or my buddies that own one)
Found by "accident" when the rifle wouldn't fire.;)

St.Michael
08-21-11, 10:26

well they always say buy what feels great. There are a LOT of HK usps on gun broker for really cheap. I see em as low as 500 bucks sometimes

drsal
08-21-11, 10:53
I have had glock 30sf for about two months, like it better than an xd 45 I used to have, despite the reduced capacity, but its not my edc so not really an issue. Just wanted another pistol, and it 'felt' better than the xd oddly enough.

warpigM-4
08-21-11, 10:59
I carried Both the Glock 30 (felt like I was holding a 2x4)and then the XD45 ( to high of a bore axis)sold both

I found a HK USP 45 Compact on gunbroker for right at 600 (Looked brand new and a safe queen).the HK hands down is the winner for me ,Fit my hand well and Built like a tank.
Mags can be a bit hard on the wallet .But you know they will last .

I have seen HKs on Gunbroker as low 500 just keep looking in this Jacked up economy people are cutting their own throats to get some cash to pay the bills.

I have No shooting time with the M&P But after handling one I just was not comfortable with it.

I damn someone beat me to the safety on the Mosin Nagant :p

Wolverine954
08-21-11, 17:57
I'm really really leaning towards the S&W M&P just by the feel (close to what my 1911's feel like), gear options, post teething problems, and that it isn't an overly large weapon. I'm looking for this to be a competition weapon and a CCW/practical weapon. In summary, this will be the .45 I will own and shoot for quite awhile. My questions are: how are reloads, especially with RN lead cast bullets, brass wear and multiple brass use with the M&P?

I'm also still considering two to three other pistols that could take its place: FN FNP, the Springfield XD, and the HK USP.

I like the USP for the cool factor and that it is HK, but I'm not made out of money, and it seems to me, and how I dress normally, that it could be a little difficult to conceal (yes, I'm wanting a FS pistol).

The FNP has the 15 shot capacity, and really wasn't as large in the hand purchase as I thought it was going to be, but it is pretty big pistol. I'm also turned off on the factory stippling on it: feels like I'm gripping a block of dull tacks. However, the round capacity, ambi features, maintenance and ease of the slide still has me looking hard at it.

The XD is also a close second to the FNP just for its reliability my friends, and my history professor praise about. The grip and feel is not as comfortable and natural as the M&P but I had to really notice comparing the two pistols side-by-side. from the .45 my friend had let me shoot, it had a hard recoil to it, compared to my Colt Goldcup Series 80. (plus they look like they came out of SCIFI film).

My choices revolve around that they must be a polymer frame, have the option for an external safety, hi-capacity .45, and is full size, comfortable to almost on par with the 1911, and isn't too difficult to conceal in as a full size frame.

Thanks.

I cannot comment on the HK, but I own both the FNP 45 and the XD45 4" model. I like them both. I shoot the FNP better, probably because it has a smoother single-action trigger. The XD has a sharper recoil impulse, but is definitely a little easier to conceal. The XD also eats lead reloads longer between chamber scrubbings. The FNP seems to be a little intolerant of lube and lead build up & the barrel guts fuzzy in a hurry. The FNP is made in the USA - as is the M&P, if that's a factor.

RogerinTPA
08-21-11, 20:34
Another vote for the M&P midsize. It is the cat's ass.

Mauser KAR98K
08-21-11, 22:53
Sorry for the drift but it does.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm
Not user friendly at all (for me or my buddies that own one)
Found by "accident" when the rifle wouldn't fire.;)

Well, I'll be damned.

1trp45
08-22-11, 08:27
I preivously owned the HK 45 Compact and sold it after the high cost of the magazines turned me a little sour on it. The trigger wasn't bad but the heavy side. My dealer turned me to the S&W M&P series and I purchased the S&W M&P 9mm in FDE brown and I used the small insert and found it to be the nicest handling polymer 9 MM. The trigger needed some work and I had the APEX Competition sear kit installed and it is very nice. I am purchasing the M&P 45 with the 4 inch barrel and I will have the APEX sear kit installed also. I have the S&W M&P ergonomics to be excellent and the way to interchange the grips to be very easy. I suggest handling the all of the pistols you are interested and try renting them at a local range if possible to see which one you actually will like. This will save you alot of money in the long run no matter which 45 you choose.

C4IGrant
08-22-11, 08:46
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to the PD. I don't know how long they have had guns. They were all brand new.

Unless they were purchasd in say the last 2 months, they had the older sear housing block.

C4

Mauser KAR98K
08-25-11, 09:31
I should be either picking up or ordering an M&P, here, this week. I want to start on the CCW as soon as possible, but hearing about wait times has me discouraged.

C4IGrant
08-25-11, 09:35
I should be either picking up or ordering an M&P, here, this week. I want to start on the CCW as soon as possible, but hearing about wait times has me discouraged.

We just got some M&P 45 (mid-frames) in with TS and have the Apex FSS in stock. ;)

C4

Mauser KAR98K
08-25-11, 10:27
We just got some M&P 45 (mid-frames) in with TS and have the Apex FSS in stock. ;)

C4

Aww...but I want a full size...:):) (I know, picky,picky, picky.)

C4IGrant
08-25-11, 11:21
Aww...but I want a full size...:):) (I know, picky,picky, picky.)

No you don't. Trust me when I say you want the mid-framed one. ;)

C4

Redhat
08-25-11, 11:29
Grant, I looked on their web site and saw both 4.5" and 4" bbl. Is that the one you are referring to?

If so, why do you recommend it over the fullsize?

Thanks

Pappabear
08-25-11, 11:32
Lotta good guns out there. If you like the safety, go HK45 or work with Grant. The S&W need a little refinement which will already be done via Grant.

C4IGrant
08-25-11, 11:38
Grant, I looked on their web site and saw both 4.5" and 4" bbl. Is that the one you are referring to?

If so, why do you recommend it over the fullsize?

Thanks

This is what we just got in: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=307507

I like the mid-size as it conceals more like a G19. I also think it looks nicer, but that is just personal opinion.

C4

Redhat
08-25-11, 11:41
This is what we just got in: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=307507

I like the mid-size as it conceals more like a G19. I also think it looks nicer, but that is just personal opinion.

C4

So that's the 4" model? Little hard to tell with the slide locked back.

Thanks again

C4IGrant
08-25-11, 12:47
So that's the 4" model? Little hard to tell with the slide locked back.

Thanks again

Yep.

C4

mbogo
08-25-11, 12:59
I like my Kahr CW45. It is light and has a slim profile.

mbogo

dhunley1
08-25-11, 13:25
You really can't go wrong with the M&P .45. I've had mine for a few years now and I absolutely love it.

Mauser KAR98K
08-27-11, 00:15
Pulled the trigger today. Store had two, I left with one, and I think the guy hovering over my shoulder got the other.

Grant, looks like mags and an Apex might be in order.

ralph
08-27-11, 06:45
Pulled the trigger today. Store had two, I left with one, and I think the guy hovering over my shoulder got the other.

Grant, looks like mags and an Apex might be in order.

Did you get a FS, or a Mid?I recently had Grant install a FSS in my .45 mid, probably the single biggest improvment I've done to it.. Better than the DCAEK, Believe me, it's well worth the money.

Mauser KAR98K
08-27-11, 08:52
FS.

I've been thinking of the DCAEK but I'll have to consider the FSS.

RepeatDefender
09-02-11, 10:33
I've had my M&P45mid for a few months now. Installed the DCAEK, minus the USB (doing that when I change the sights). It has become a very nice and capable .45 that fits my hands just like my M&P 9's and 40.

OldState
03-25-12, 20:44
Im in the market for and trying to track down a M&P 45. I some how missed this thread in my research.

I see that the mid size is very popular. Is the extra .5" really that hard to conceal?

Being that you can run 10 rounders in a compact (plus XGrip makes and extender) why wouldn't you want the compact over a mid?

Wouldn't you have more options that way?

I own full size 1911's and an compact sized one because the commander never made sense to me....and that's with a 3/4" smaller barrel. A commander is not really any easier to conceal that a full size so if I want a full grip I might as well take the full size barrel.

Am I missing something?

Blayglock
03-25-12, 21:26
If you can be patient Rock River Arms is coming out with a poly framed single stack 1911

EDIT: didnt read last page before post. See you bought a S&W.

Voodoo_Man
03-25-12, 21:47
I had an FN 45 Tactical, which is slightly different than the standard FNP 45.

If you have not shot one, go shoot it, awesome gun.

Or if you want a dependable laser guided rocket launcher, buy a glock 21.

Congrats on your S&W.

Hogsgunwild
03-25-12, 22:42
Im in the market for and trying to track down a M&P 45. I some how missed this thread in my research.

I see that the mid size is very popular. Is the extra .5" really that hard to conceal?

Being that you can run 10 rounders in a compact (plus XGrip makes and extender) why wouldn't you want the compact over a mid?

Wouldn't you have more options that way?

I own full size 1911's and an compact sized one because the commander never made sense to me....and that's with a 3/4" smaller barrel. A commander is not really any easier to conceal that a full size so if I want a full grip I might as well take the full size barrel.

Am I missing something?

Yes, for me, the grip length difference between the .45 compact and midsize (or fullsize) is a big deal. Glock 19/23s, P2000s, M&P compacts and HK45 compacts are very practical for every day carry vs the G17/22, P30 / HK45 and larger M&Ps. I can conceal anything (have an IWB Bladetech for my HK USP .45 and USP Expert) but a majority of the time I carry the M&P compact sized guns (some would call these midsized guns, it's all semantics).

Lately I have been infatuated with my M&P midsize and compact .45s.
I carry both, but, I carry the compact more. I could get by with either one (although it's not my style to own just one of anything). The slides are the same on the midsize and compact but I do shoot my midsize a bit more accurately than the compact. The more I shoot the compact, the more I am closing the gap on the accuracy difference between the two.

To the Op: I see no reason to have the extra weight in a carry gun of the fullsize M&P .45 when the midsize is so incredibly accurate and yet a reasonable weight for a carry gun. I am comparing my midsize to the accuracy of high end 1911s and I am not so sure that the M&P doesn't win in the accuracy department.

I have also run the midsize in a class (for one of the days) and it was a dream in all regards. Performed better at all ranges than my M&P 9MM FS.
All of my M&Ps have the Apex FSS and triggers on them, by the way.