PDA

View Full Version : Info on a good .22 lr auto pistol

PdxMotoxer
08-16-11, 01:49
*i did a few searches and found some info but not much here about .22 lr auto's*

I'm looking for a fun and fairly cheap .22 lr auto pistol to take along
and just enjoy some good ol' cheap plinking fun.
(I own a ruger single six 22lr, I've had for 27 years)

I took the neighbor and his kids shooting last weekend and this was their VERY FIRST time "shooting" and
forgot the smiles and fun an old 22lr single six can be and Ruger 10/22 rifle (my very first my dad got me back when the 10/22's first came out)
with a few 10rd and 25rd banana mags can be.

MY Question:

I'm looking for like a Walther P22 or what other auto's are out there
around the $300 (it's only going to be used a few times a year)
would you guy's suggest?? (i ask because i respect the members views here a lot!)

Thanks guys!!

OMD
08-16-11, 02:02
Used Ruger Mark 1,2,3 or 22/45. If you like the grip angle. If not, then any of the other semi-auto old school or even a cheaper Colt Cadet, S&W 22 series, Browning Buckmarks, etc. Or you might get lucky and find an affordable S&W revolver used or a well used High Standard or Colt Woodsman (my favorites).

spamsammich
08-16-11, 02:04
I recently picked up a Browning Buckmark for around $330 if I recall correctly. It has a fiber optic front sight and a plain serrated black rear sight with windage and elevation adjustment. It is a shit ton of fun to shoot and a good preview of how I want to set up my sights in the future, plain black with a wide notch and a fiber front. I've shot a Ruger Mark II and III (not the 1911 grip) and love them too. A used Ruger or Buckmark can be had for under $300 if you look hard enough.

Dienekes
08-16-11, 13:59
Pretty hard to beat the Ruger semi autos--even secondhand ones.

maximus83
08-16-11, 14:34
I agree with the Ruger Mark II/III series. I've owned several of them, they've all been extremely accurate and also adequately reliable. They are all a bit large and bulky, but then you aren't going to be carrying these as a CCW anyway. If you want to carry for woods carry/camping/hunting use, you can find some good standard OWB holsters that will fit the Mk II/III series just fine.

There are a lot of different Ruger model variations, but IMO, there are just 2 broad configurations that you can get:

* Models based on the 22/45 frame (http://ruger.com/products/2245/index.html). These are intentionally designed to mimic the more upright grip angle of a 1911. I prefer them, as do many other current and former 1911 shooters. The internals are mostly the same as the Mk III standard models, what differs is mainly the grip angle, magazines, and the positions of the controls such as safety and mag release, which are designed to mimic a 1911.
* The Mark III standard frame (http://ruger.com/products/markIII/index.html). These have a more angled grip, and are every bit as popular as the 22/45 series, probably more so. Definitely before you buy, try to get a chance to shoot both or at least grip both models side by side, and figure out which grip angle you prefer.

One other cool thing about the Ruger Mk III series is that because they've been out there so long, there are a ton of cool aftermarket add-ons. Just last week, I ordered one of the Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite receivers (http://www.tacticalsol.com/products/pac-lite). These barrel/receiver combinations basically drop right onto your Ruger Mk III frame, replacing the barrel and receiver. But they drop nearly 3/4 of a pound in weight, are even more accurate, and have better options for sights and mounting optics.

turdbocharged
08-16-11, 14:48
Another vote for the Mark II or III Rugers. The most accurate 22 pistol I've ever shot was my father in law's Ruger Mark II from the 80's. It's the government target model with a 5 or 6" heavy barrel. The recent Mark III's don't even come close to the accuracy this thing has in my opinion.

I've also tried a few different .22 autoloaders and have found All of them wanting. I tried really hard to like the Walther p22. It is very nice and compact, but that doesn't help really for anything as I would never carry a .22. I've also fallen in love with the older square butt double action S&W .22 revolvers.

Personally I don't agree with the mentality that .22's should be tacticool, they're just for fun, or target shooting (IMHO). I don't like the conversions either. I guess it's all in what floats your boat.

crusader4x
08-18-11, 15:17
The only .22lr handgun I shot was a Beretta Neos and it was reliable and extremely fun to shoot. I can't comment on durability because I only borrowed the gun for one day.

If you can get over the "sci-fi raygun" look of a Beretta Neos, you might want to test shoot one and maybe it'll be what you're looking for.

FYI, I have ZERO experience with all other .22lr handguns.

BTS
08-18-11, 19:35
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45.

Reliable. Relatively accurate. Plenty of upgrades available. Magazines are everywhere.

tuck
08-18-11, 19:55
I've owned a Ruger MkII Competition Target Model for going on 10 years now. Every time I take it out it puts a smile on my face. It's scary accurate as well.

Grizzly16
08-18-11, 20:25
Hard to beat the rugers. But I've shot a buddies Walther P22 and Beretta Neos. Didn't care much for the Neos. Didn't seem very accurate for the size. The p22 felt great in my hands. And as an added bonus the barrel is already threaded if you ever go down the road of buying a silencer for it.

saddlerocker
08-18-11, 20:28
S&W M&P22 is out now.
Will probably be similar in reliability to the P22 (Its made by Walther I think)

PdxMotoxer
08-18-11, 20:36
I looked at the M&P22 (I own a M&P9c) but for the asking price
and it's just going to be a plinker.. i would go tword a S&W 22a

Yes Ruger is now on my list but so is a S&W22a

any one own or shot a 22a????

Thanks again all!!

RagweedZulu
08-18-11, 22:59
Love my Ruger 22/45! It's the perfect economy plinking pistol. Light (enough), accurate, with a 1911 grip (the newer model with checkering). As was mentioned above, you just cant go wrong with these. I take mine with me while teaching a youth 4H .22 LR class. After the official business, we play around with it and the kids LOVE it. Good cheap fun.

Wiggity
08-18-11, 23:03
I think the Ruger mark II is about the best plinking gun you can get

charmcitycop
08-19-11, 14:25

PdxMotoxer
08-19-11, 20:05
arggg I'm 100% "lefty" and both the Ruger markII & III seem right manual safety and so is the S&W 22a.

Good thing this will be a range/toy camping plinker.

(at least the only models of those i have seen are... if there are any
ambi or no manual safety please let me know... like i said other than the old ruger single six's i've never even shot a .22 auto)

This weekend is the "big" gun show here in Portland but i stopped going
when they rose it to $9 to get in, $7 parking and most everything inside
was over priced, or cheap made in china nylon crap.

BH375
08-20-11, 17:40
We've had a GSG 1911-style .22 LR for some time now. Build and finish quality are both good, and my daughters have no problems with handling the frame, despite their petite hands.

An Undocumented Worker
08-20-11, 22:02
I looked at the M&P22 (I own a M&P9c) but for the asking price
and it's just going to be a plinker.. i would go tword a S&W 22a

Yes Ruger is now on my list but so is a S&W22a

any one own or shot a 22a????

Thanks again all!!

I've owned a 22a-1 and well, I don't own it anymore. It was accurate, but not all that reliable. The slide peened the feed ramp leaving a deep divot and a big burr I had to file off to help reliability, anyhow I dumped it. It was accurate though.

I also went through a Beretta U22 Neos, grip was too small, sights blowed goats, roll pins walked out and couldn't shoot it accurately.

I've settled on a Browning Buckmark, it's accurate, reliable, easy to clean, has a superb trigger, the factory sights are great, and the grip is unmatched by anyother mass production 22 semi auto pistol I've shot. If you want to learn more about em check out rimfirecentral.com

I also have a conversion kit for 9mm for cheap training on that.