PDA

View Full Version : Noveske: VIS vs. LoPro...thoughts

WS6
08-16-11, 09:23
I have been thinking long and hard about how to go about getting the best possible rifle for my suppressor. I word it this way, because I want a silenced AR. Not an AR with a silencer. I want it tailored around the suppressor.

Originally, I was set upon the Noveske Lo-Pro.

Then I heard about the Switchblock. I called Noveske. I called Mike Mers. Both basically said that the SB was something I would regret not getting since I plan on shooting the weapon 95% of the time suppressed.

Then I looked at it, and the Lo-Pro with the switch-block is only a about $100 less than the VIS.

I want a 14.5" rifle with a pinned MITER mount to go with my SPR/M4.

Anyway, I HATE proprietary parts. I know Noveske will take care of me, but I am a more self-sufficient type person if I can help it. I have spare parts for most of my weapons, enough so that I can build another one given a barrel and a frame. Anyway, Noveske did not list the straight (proprietary) gas-tubes on their site. Or the special roll-pins.

Vltor has already mailed me 2 roll-pins for their VIS/MUR.
What about Noveske?

I called and spoke with a Sherri. Usually when I call someone, I am answered by a receptionist, and then handed off to a technician. I am not sure what Sherri does for Noveske, but she was able to accurately and intelligently answer all of my questions, and was more than happy to manually enter an order for me for 2 gas-tubes with roll-pins for a 14.5" midlength weapon equipped with SB. No proprietary "send us the rifle if you want this replaced" BS. I was very happy! She sounded cheerful, happy, and lacked the totally vacuous tone in her voice that so many receptionist types get when you ask them about something like a gas-port size or some other technical question. Whoever this Sherri is, and wherever Noveske found her, she's an excellent employee!

Anyway, she mentioned that Noveske was VERY proud of their SWS rail and that it was as good as the VIS, functionally, and there may be a bit more stability for long barrels/silencers dangling off the end as a virtue of the large (long) barrel-nut vs. the VIS's smaller one.

This is where I form the postulation...

Yes, the Noveske/SWS rail does have a large barrel nut. I can easily see this helping to heat-sink the chamber. However, the barrel-nut is steel. It interfaces with the barrel (also steel). The receiver is aluminum. If you were to break an AR-15 at the barrel-nut, I hypothesize that the weapon would fracture at the receiver. Therefore, being as the threads on the VIS and the non-VIS MUR are the same as far as I can tell, would the barrel-nut not be a moot point regarding barrel stability, since the receiver used is the same, and the amount of interface with it is the same, or am I looking at it all wrong?

I know there is a lot of collective intellect here and although my mind is pretty much made-up to go with the VIS with SB (easy access to clean the barrel with CLP...it's humid here, gas-tube can be replaced through the receiver since the tube is perfectly straight, and Noveske is not prudish about selling them, so it is 100% user-serviceable), I am curious if I am looking at things wrong and the Noveske/SWS rail really does offer a more stable package than the VIS, considering that I am planning to hang an 18oz weight from the end of my barrel.