PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grip/Thumb Question

Ranger325
08-16-11, 13:33
I took my new-to-me OD G34 out to the range this past weekend for an initial run. Wow - what a great pistol, why did I wait so long?? The only issue is I have a tendency to ride the slide lock - you guessed it, I'm an old 1911 guy - and the slide doesn't lock on the last round.

What do you guys do? I'm trying folding the right thumb over the left to keep it out of the way. Hell, Kyle Lamb's new book recommends replacing the extended with a standard size lock!

I really like this pistol - gotta go reload more 9mm...................!!

Regards,

F-Trooper05
08-16-11, 13:35
Replace it with a Vickers slide stop.

cqbdriver
08-16-11, 13:54
I had that problem when I 1st got my G34 years ago. I just adjusted my right thumb out a little. I place my right thumb tip on the rear joint of the left thumb. After years of firing, it natural indexes to that spot now & I haven’t had the slide inadvertently lock back in years.

I use a Vickers slide stop on my carry gun (G19).

Ranger325
08-16-11, 15:45
Replace it with a Vickers slide stop.

Good idea - hopefully it will help with thumb placement. Thanks!!

YVK
08-18-11, 18:14
I took my new-to-me OD G34 out to the range this past weekend for an initial run. Wow - what a great pistol, why did I wait so long?? The only issue is I have a tendency to ride the slide lock - you guessed it, I'm an old 1911 guy - and the slide doesn't lock on the last round.

What do you guys do?

As a not so old 1911 guy, the only real answer is practice rolling out your strong side thumb. I position mine over my support hand thumb.
Vickers lever is not going to help by itself, but it'll make it less prevalent comparing to extended slide release of G34. Many folks, myself included, actually have this problem even with a standard slide lever which has slimmest profile of them all. You'll find that it is rather easy to adjust your grip when you're picking up the gun from the bench, but when you're coming out of the holster it is harder. I've been shooting Glock for some 18-20 months now, and even now I get no-lock occasionally. Usually, when going against the timer out of holster.
I've spent a good deal of time training to keep my strong thumb away during the presentation and place it only after support hand assumes its position. As a considerable secondary benefit, this allows for a higher placement of a support hand.

nickdrak
08-18-11, 18:28
Another vote for the Vickers slide stop lever. Perfectly designed to eliminate your issue. I suffered the same issue before replacing mine with the Vickers.

Wiggity
08-18-11, 23:27
Get the vickers op, it works wonders.

Ranger325
08-19-11, 12:09
Thanks for in input - LAV slide stop should arrive today and I'll install this weekend. Any tips or 'pearls of wisdom' on the installation?

ElrodCod
08-19-11, 12:18
A factory standard slide release will work just as well.

Failure2Stop
08-19-11, 12:25
The standard is a beyotch to use as a slide release.
I recommend using an extended one and learning to properly position the thumb to avoid riding the slide release.

JonnyVain
08-19-11, 13:43
Personally, I just press down with my knuckle instead of the pad of my thumb. I haven't had any issues so far.

cqbdriver
08-19-11, 15:21
Any tips or 'pearls of wisdom' on the installation?

These aren't mine, I just googled them:
http://membres.multimania.fr/shooter/glock/trigger.html

You can skip step one (removing locking block pin). Just remove the trigger pin (left-to-right) while moving the slide stop back & forth. You don't have to completely remove the trigger pin to replace the slide stop. When install the new slide stop, make sure the slide stop spring is under the locking block pin.

You may want to search for the "glock 2009 armorers manual" (there may be later dates). There are PDF's of it out there. It is page 39, if you find it.

oldtexan
08-19-11, 20:40
I had an issue with inadvertently activating the extended Glock slide stop several times in the first few hundred rds with my two G34s. I then replaced the extended slide stop levers with standard G17/G19 slide stops and the problem went away immediately and hasn't resurfaced in my G34s since. I also replaced the extended mag release buttons with standard G17 ones because I wanted to avoid the possibility of unintended magazine releases.

Lately I've had a few unintended activations of the slide stop lever on my G19s using the standard G17/G19 slide stop lever. So I currently am experimenting with various cut-down versions of the standard G17/19 slide stop lever on the G19s to give a little extra insurance that the slide stop doesn't get activated unless I want it to be activated.

I am an old 1911 guy but transitioned over to Glocks several years ago. I don't favor modifying my thumbs forward grip(or any other technique) to accomodate equipment peculiarities. I'd rather use equipment compatible with my techniques, or if necessary, alter the equipment so that it works with my ingrained techniques, all other things being equal.

RagweedZulu
08-20-11, 00:45
Maybe consider re-training your thumbs instead of trying to solve the problem by buying aftermarket gear.

I have the G34/35 slide stop on a G23 but I shoot with both thumbs loose and pointed at the target. This method provides a more natural point of aim (for me) and the loose thumbs work even with my. 1911s. I've never noticed a lack of control by loosening my grip in this area, and I've never activated or prevented the stop from working as designed.

Wiggity
08-20-11, 01:41
Maybe consider re-training your thumbs instead of trying to solve the problem by buying aftermarket gear.

I have the G34/35 slide stop on a G23 but I shoot with both thumbs loose and pointed at the target. This method provides a more natural point of aim (for me) and the loose thumbs work even with my. 1911s. I've never noticed a lack of control by loosening my grip in this area, and I've never activated or prevented the stop from working as designed.

Retraining takes a lot more time and money than just buying a new slide stop.

ck1
08-20-11, 12:11
Just go to the lower profile "stock" one instead of the extended one or the Vickers one.
The Vickers one sticks out nearly as much as the extended one anyhow so it's not going to cure the issue completely. The flatter Glock stock one works great and provides plenty of leverage to drop the slide from slide-lock after a little bit of practice and learning to press it directly down rather than just swiping at it like most guys are used to doing with most guns (whether they realize it or not), it's profile keeps it out of the way of one's grip while shooting, but when it's at slide-lock there's actually a fairly good-sized platform available to press when the time comes.

AGENT TIKKI
08-20-11, 15:27
I personally like having the extending slide stop levers on all my Glocks. I haven't hand any problems with accidently releasing the slide. But I have had problems trying to release it with the standard lever.

I'm right-handed. I hold usually have my support hand as high up on the grip as possible, with as much real estate from support hand on the grip as possible. My strong side thumb is always over my support hand. So its not anywhere close to the lever.

I just started shooting a 1911 and took a couple range trips to get comfortable with having my thumb on the safety. Kinda like it now, after getting used to it.

Nephrology
08-20-11, 16:51
The standard is a beyotch to use as a slide release.

I think I am the only person in the world who thinks it is perfectly adequate....

ck1
08-20-11, 22:01
I think I am the only person in the world who thinks it is perfectly adequate....

Nope, there's you, me, and at least Dave Sevigny and Bob Vogel too...

YVK
08-20-11, 23:35
Retraining takes a lot more time and money than just buying a new slide stop.

I am willing to bet that for most people, and especially an old 1911 user accustomed to riding the thumb safety, a new slide stop alone won't solve the problem completely.

Never had a problem too but, in fairness of discussion, my Glock is grip-reduced for easier reach and engagement of slide stop.

Rock
08-21-11, 07:40
Just go to the lower profile "stock" one instead of the extended one or the Vickers one.
The Vickers one sticks out nearly as much as the extended one anyhow so it's not going to cure the issue completely. The flatter Glock stock one works great and provides plenty of leverage to drop the slide from slide-lock after a little bit of practice and learning to press it directly down rather than just swiping at it like most guys are used to doing with most guns (whether they realize it or not), it's profile keeps it out of the way of one's grip while shooting, but when it's at slide-lock there's actually a fairly good-sized platform available to press when the time comes.

That's the way I see it. I don't know how a release that sticks out even further is going to help keep someone from activating it unintentionally.

cqbdriver
08-21-11, 08:12
That's the way I see it. I don't know how a release that sticks out even further is going to help keep someone from activating it unintentionally.

It is not how far it sticks out, but how far the extended slide stop sticks back. For my hands & grip, my thumb touches the extended slide stop. As I mentioned before, after some initial slide locks, I adjusted my grip slightly & it hasn't been a problem since & still use it on my competition G34.

Also, I don't have a problem with the standard slide stop. It is what I use on my carry guns until the Vickers came out recently. After training with M&P’s for the last few years, I already knew how much that I like the M&P slide stop over the standard Glock. When I saw the new Vicker slide stop which matched the M&P profile, I knew that I would like it.

The Vickers isn't miracle cure for me, but a slight improvement over the OEM standard slide stop. It extends no longer back then the stand version while give better grip.

polymorpheous
08-21-11, 09:05
Sorry if this is a derail...
Does anyone know if the Vickers slide lock can be used on the older 2 pin Gen3's?

cqbdriver
08-21-11, 09:11
I just added it to a G19 Gen2 this week & ran 200 rds through it with no problems. Not an extensive test, but looks good so far.