PDA

View Full Version : G&R Tactical Custom 1911 Phase Two

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 15:32
The second version of the G&R Tactical 1911 is now complete! The components on the first 1911 were selected to follow the popular trends in the 1911 world. The second 1911 was built to shatter many misconceptions about some unpopular components and their reliability.

So let’s get on with the show!

C4

Parts Selected:

Caspian frame and slide
Schuemann Ultimatch Barrel
Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod
Wilson Combat Slide Stop
Wilson Combat Pin Set
Greider Precision Match Trigger
STI Firing Pin
Cylinder & Slide Hammer, Sear, & Disconnector
Novak Tritium Front Sight
Caspian External Extractor
Caspian Ejector
Nowlin Plunger Tube
Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety
Ed Brown Firing Pin Stop
Ed Brown Hammer Strut
SDM magwell (welded)
Gemini Custom (Dragon Scales Metal Work)
Heinie Rear Sight
VZ Double Diamond Green/Black Micarta Grips
Cerakote Flat Black (Frame/Slide)
Cerakote OD (Dragon Scales)
Superior Firearms (Builder)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20side.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20side1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20top.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20top1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20rear%20sight%20dragon%20skin.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20rear%20sight.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20front%20stra.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20mag%20release.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20Magwell.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20Magwell1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20barrel.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/GT%20Guid%20Rod.jpg

rubberneck
11-03-07, 15:48
Nice looking gun Grant. I was confused about the following:

The second 1911 was built to shatter many misconceptions about some unpopular components and their reliability.

I have full house customs built by Novak, EGW, The Action Works and Tripp Research, and no serious 1911 fan would ever call that list of components unpopular or unreliable. What am I missing?

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 15:54
Nice looking gun Grant. I was confused about the following:

I have full house customs built by Novak, EGW, The Action Works and Tripp Research, and no serious 1911 fan would ever call that list of components unpopular or unreliable. What am I missing?

On the first 1911 we had built, we went with standard barrel and bushing and an internal extractor. For this weapon, we went with a bull barrel and an external extractor.

C4

KintlaLake
11-03-07, 16:19
I don't know diddly-squat about 1911s, but I like this one because it looks like if anyone tried to turn it into a Safe Buddha, it'd leave the premises under its own power. ;)

rubberneck
11-03-07, 16:50
On the first 1911 we had built, we went with standard barrel and bushing and an internal extractor. For this weapon, we went with a bull barrel and an external extractor.

C4

There is nothing wrong with bull barrels. The Caspain extractor was re-designed from the ground up by George Smith at EGW after the SIG disaster and is quite good.

I understand where you are coming from with this build, but as it is with the guys who will tell you a Bushy is better than a Colt you will find it is the same with ill-informed 1911 owners.

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 16:55
There is nothing wrong with bull barrels. The Caspain extractor was re-designed from the ground up by George Smith at EGW after the SIG disaster and is quite good.

I understand where you are coming from with this build, but as it is with the guys who will tell you a Bushy is better than a Colt you will find it is the same with ill-informed 1911 owners.

Right you are. When we did our first 1911, we got tons of flack because we were looking at an external extractor.

C4

Derek_Connor
11-03-07, 17:08
Im floored to see you Marc Morganti getting in on this....a true gentleman and one of the best out there right now......

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 17:15
Im floored to see you Marc Morganti getting in on this....a true gentleman and one of the best out there right now......

The work he did was simply fantastic to say the least.

C4

Derek_Connor
11-03-07, 17:21
The work he did was simply fantastic to say the least.

C4

Agreed, I have a slide with him for his fast back treatment...

M. Morganti for those who do not know, is a veteran 1911 pistolsmith that has eye for detail that most dream of. The way he sets up his cuts and smoothing...is just damn amazing.

He is a one man shop and you can get him on the phone anytime during the day, he is never rushed, never hurried, and a true salt of the earth to talk to about 1911s and life in general...

[/plug over]

M4arc
11-03-07, 17:47
Is this GrantHawk II?

:D

Trim2L
11-03-07, 18:12
How many pistols will be in each phase?

C4IGrant
11-03-07, 18:14
How many pistols will be in each phase?

Most likely just one unless we feel convinced to do more.

C4

Paulinski
11-03-07, 18:21
Exceptional 1911 Grant. The attention to detail is what really intrigued me. Ex continuing of the dragon skin into the rear sight.

Kudos for doing it with EE. :D

C4IGrant
11-04-07, 10:40
Exceptional 1911 Grant. The attention to detail is what really intrigued me. Ex continuing of the dragon skin into the rear sight.

Kudos for doing it with EE. :D

Thank you.

C4

SHIVAN
11-04-07, 11:40
Just looking at that guide rod gives me the heebie-jeebies...:p

C4IGrant
11-04-07, 11:42

It shouldn't. This might be one of the best guide rods on the market. It is an impressive system to say the least.

The really interesting thing is that it allows you to break down the gun like you would and M&P! It is truly a tooless operation.

C4

graffex
11-04-07, 11:43

I was thinking the same thing.

SHIVAN
11-04-07, 11:45
Well nothing about semi-purists is logical...;)

C4IGrant
11-04-07, 11:47
Well nothing about semi-purists is logical...;)

I am not really a "purist" kind of guy. I am a "what is best" kind of guy.

C4

Patrick Aherne
11-04-07, 12:59
Grant Hawk II, LAV coined that one, right?

That pistol sucks, Grant, and obviously will not work,even when fed high quality ammo. Therefore, to prove you wrong, I am willing, because I am such a nice guy, to test it for you, at no charge. I promise to run only factory AE 230 gr. and HST2 loads through it for a year, minimum of 5k rounds and two pistol classes with industry professionals.

Let me know when to send my FFL info.

UVvis
11-04-07, 15:54
The green on the scales is a very nice touch. What I especially like is that the green isn't even on all the scales, making it look organic.

lewis
11-04-07, 20:27
I have seen this gun in person. Joe at Superior Firearms is a very close friend of mine. He built me a Caspian from the frame up, working with me to get me exactly what I wanted. His work is outstanding.

As good as this gun looks in the pics, it is even better in person. Anyone looking for 1911 rail gun would do well to take a long hard look at getting a gun built by Superior Firearms.

williejc
11-04-07, 23:02
I didn't see mention of a firing pin safety, a double action feature, or decock device. Are you going to pin the grip safety and add an ambi-extended slide release? What? No Pro-mag high capacity mag capability? If you don't think that an external extractor ain't the same thing as an external hemmorrhoid, just ask the guys at Kimber.

This piece has the worst engraving job I've ever seen except one my brother-in-law did. If it'll make you feel better, I'll take it off your hands so you can start over.

Yours truly'
Williejc:D :cool:

olds442tyguy
11-05-07, 14:17
Nice! That pistol screams practical and logical to me.

If I ever get the extra cash, I still want to build a Series 80 Caspian railed Commander with an external extractor, integral plunger tube, and fiber optic Novak's. Things that make the 1911 purist really cringe. :D

Nathan_Bell
11-06-07, 09:05
I have seen this gun in person. Joe at Superior Firearms is a very close friend of mine. He built me a Caspian from the frame up, working with me to get me exactly what I wanted. His work is outstanding.

As good as this gun looks in the pics, it is even better in person. Anyone looking for 1911 rail gun would do well to take a long hard look at getting a gun built by Superior Firearms.

Met Joe this spring at the M4C/LAV carbine course, and he had a couple of his 'business card' pistols with him.

Top notch craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Stainless
11-07-07, 10:00
I have seen this thing, up close and personal.

$4,000... and (according to LAV) STILL THE KING OF FEEDWAY STOPAGES.

Why?

Why do you all worship at the feet of such a thing?

Lemme say this again, FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For a thing, that is NO more reliable than a glock.

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 10:07

Why?

LOL, silly Robert. :D The 1911 is the KING of CQB. You will not find a more accurate, more ergonomic fighting tool around.

C4

Trim2L
11-07-07, 10:08
$4K? I thought Grant's 1911's were in the $2K range?

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 10:11
$4K? I thought Grant's 1911's were in the $2K range?

You are correct. The base model is in the $2K range. There is NOTHING basic about the gun here. I wish that we could build this gun for $2,000, but parts, metal work and Cerakote alone is well over $3K (at dealer pricing).

This weapon is also not for sale as it is mine.;) We just wanted to show people some options that are generally not seen.

C4

Stainless
11-07-07, 10:19
LOL, silly Robert. :D The 1911 is the KING of CQB. You will not find a more accurate, more ergonomic fighting tool around.
C4

Bleh. I say again, BLEH!

FOUR thousand, and STILL the king of feed way stopages, and MALFUNCTION drills. How on EARTH is this KING?

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 10:26
Bleh. I say again, BLEH!

FOUR thousand, and STILL the king of feed way stopages, and MALFUNCTION drills. How on EARTH is this KING?

I think you might be under the impression that a 1911 has a malfunction one time in every magazine. I have run my WC CQB through 1,200rd shooting schools without a single issue.

It is true that the 1911 platform sees more malfunctions than say a Glock, but it isn't a lot more.

C4

Stainless
11-07-07, 11:37
I think you might be under the impression that a 1911 has a malfunction one time in every magazine.

It is true that the 1911 platform sees more malfunctions than say a Glock, but it isn't a lot more.

No sir. I am not hung up one that one aspect. It is a combination of that, AND a $4,000 price tag. And even at a discount price of $3,000, over 25% off, it is STILL too much.

I am not trying to troll, Grant, you know this.

I am just trying to present another way of thinking. I know other people think the same way, but they aren't saying anything, I am.

If some one wants a 3-4k 1911, because they want one, I am all for it.

And don't even get me started on 8 round mags.;)

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 11:47
No sir. I am not hung up one that one aspect. It is a combination of that, AND a $4,000 price tag. And even at a discount price of $3,000, over 25% off, it is STILL too much.

I am just trying to present another way of thinking. I know other people think the same way, but they aren't saying anything, I am.

I guess you have to look at it like the difference between a Ford Taurus and a Ferrari. The Taurus is a low budget mass produced vehicle. The Ferrari is built in small qty's by hand. So if we take this type of thought and apply it to hanguns, it would be a Glock (the Ford Taurus) and this 1911 (Ferrari). See the difference??? The Taurus will take you from point A to B just like the Ferrari will, but it is no where near as fast, handle as well or have the high CDI factor that the Ferrari does.

Some people do not understand why anyone would spend that much money on a Ferrari, but I do. ;)

C4

KintlaLake
11-07-07, 13:52
I guess you have to look at it like the difference between a Ford Taurus and a Ferrari.

C'mon, Grant, keep your comparison in the same food group -- what you really mean is that a Glock is to a 1911 as a Corvette is to a Ferrari. :D

I mean, nobody chooses a Ferrari over a Taurus... :rolleyes: ;)

At $200,000+, the 599 GTB costs roughly five times what it takes to own a C6 Coupe ($43,000, give or take). Figuring a Glock for $500 versus $3,000+ for a handcrafted 1911 is analagous.

Me? I'm pleased with my G19. As for the CDI factor, the love of my life is fond of saying, "No matter how tough times might get, don't you ever, ever sell that 'Vette!"

:D

bigbore
11-07-07, 16:28

Why?

You and I are on the same page. I shoot and carry a RRA 1911. I wouldnt trust ANY production grade, mass produced 1911 in sub $1K price range. 1911s need to be built properly, but that can easily be done for well under $2k. Paying extra for cosmetic blending and pretty finishing touches is nuts IMO. I'll put the functional reliability of my $1500 1911 up against ANY 1911 and at the end of the day, there will be no difference other than I was able to buy a LOT of practice ammo with the money I saved. :D

The 1911 people are an odd lot. Most of them own/carry 1911s because they think they are "cool" and like showing off the meaningless things like blended magwells and barrel bushings. They dont shoot them for shit, and would be much better off with other handguns, but the 1911s are "cool".

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 17:07
You and I are on the same page. I shoot and carry a RRA 1911. I wouldnt trust ANY production grade, mass produced 1911 in sub $1K price range. 1911s need to be built properly, but that can easily be done for well under $2k. Paying extra for cosmetic blending and pretty finishing touches is nuts IMO. I'll put the functional reliability of my $1500 1911 up against ANY 1911 and at the end of the day, there will be no difference other than I was able to buy a LOT of practice ammo with the money I saved. :D

The 1911 people are an odd lot. Most of them own/carry 1911s because they think they are "cool" and like showing off the meaningless things like blended magwells and barrel bushings. They dont shoot them for shit, and would be much better off with other handguns, but the 1911s are "cool".

We are actually on the same page Steve. Quality parts and basic labor is around $2K. The extra on this gun (which drove the cost) is the finish, welded magwell, metal work, etc. I have a stock WC CQB that is my "beater." This weapon was meant to show off a bit, but will be run just same as the WC (maybe even more).

C4

Robb Jensen
11-07-07, 18:48
Cool gun, but if it were mine I have to replace that rear sight with a Warren and have the front thinned down to .110".

Is it wrong to love 1911s, Glocks and M&Ps? And ARs & AKs?

M4arc
11-07-07, 19:19
The 1911 people are an odd lot.

You can say that again!

11-07-07, 22:49

Hmmmmm.......You guys who can't afford the FINEST in things always have to rationalize reasons not to own the BEST.......:D

Glock never malfunctioning is like beliveing that there will be 72 virgins awaiting your arrival.:p

williejc
11-08-07, 22:50
Would not a Les Baer 1911 suffice for a carry gun for the guy who thinks that $2000 is the minimum that will buy a reliable 1911 .45?

I've never owned a L.B. and would like to hear Grant's and others comments on this brand.

C4IGrant
11-09-07, 08:18
Would not a Les Baer 1911 suffice for a carry gun for the guy who thinks that $2000 is the minimum that will buy a reliable 1911 .45?

I've never owned a L.B. and would like to hear Grant's and others comments on this brand.

Oh sure. A LB is just fine I think as is a RRA or WC.

C4

lewis
11-10-07, 05:58
I have never been a big 1911 fan for exactly the reasons that some folks have stated here. Most production 1911's that I owned in the past were less than stellar in the reliability department. I have a safe full of Glocks that work exactly like they are supposed to. When I had Joe build my personal gun, I told him I wanted a 1911 with high cool factor that would run like a Glock and not complain if it got put on my tac vest and thrown in the back of Explorer (take home cop car). He delivered. Does it replace all my Glocks? No, but it's the only 1911 I have and I love it and one day when I'm gone, one of my sons will get it.

My Superior built Caspian runs like a sewing machine. The Kart barrel fitted to the slide is far more accurate than I could ever hope to be. I qualified with it and actually do carry it off duty and use it as a training gun.

I also have an M&P45 on order. Variety is the spice of life.

bigbore
11-11-07, 14:22
I also have an M&P45 on order. Variety is the spice of life.

Yes it is, and I often see members of the "gun of the month" club in classes fumbling their way though, looking for controls that arent on the gun they brought with them.

lewis
11-11-07, 23:59
Yes it is, and I often see members of the "gun of the month" club in classes fumbling their way though, looking for controls that arent on the gun they brought with them.

Wow. I'll do my best not to fumble my way through. Thanks for the insult, I appreciate it.

dubb-1
11-12-07, 00:12
Disregard...

Bushytale
11-12-07, 04:28
Wow, how did this thread go from checking out Grant's custom high speed 1911 to Glocks are better and if you like more than one design you will be fumbling the controls and 1911s are malfunctions waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Rant off!!!!!!!!!!

Nice full blown custom Grant. Please keep us (anyone interested in 1911s that is) posted on how the external extractor works out as the round count goes up. A lot of people are not sure about 1911 EEs not being dependable after some of the recent designs not working out.

:cool: enjoy it Grant.

Billy

hoveyh
11-12-07, 21:56
First I am very new here ... a nobody, but via this cool forum I get a say. Second I think that the 1911 in question here is very well thought out and purpose built wih the best parts and knowledge available.
I have SIG's, HK's, an XD and several custom 1911's. I completed/passed a Advanced Farnum class and shoot at a expert level in multiple divisions of competition. I have been a 1911 guy for a long but the last two years I have shot stock carry type guns as a personal change of pace choice.
In October to end the season I got out a custom Caspian hard chromed 45 and shot a IDPA match cold with it. I could not believe how easy that 45 was to hit with. The trigger and pointability of that 1911 just allowed me to hit multiple targets at speed without even trying to make it forcebly happen. The gun just shot istelf as I engaged threats. So, IMHO There is not a more user friendly, hit with under stress firearm to employ to stop the threat than a well built 1911 in 45acp.

Respectfully, Harold H.

das028
11-14-07, 13:19
Let me just say that my Colt 1991A1 is just as reliable as my Glock19. I also shoot it better, faster, and more accurately. It rattles, has a bushing that I can get off with me fingers, has a firing pin saftey (oh no!), and it even has skateboard tape on it, instead of a checkered front strap, imagine that! Let me also say I didnt spend $4,000 on the damn thing. Take that how ever way you want it.

Failure2Stop
11-14-07, 13:46
I effing love guns. I love Glocks. I love AKs. I love ARs. I love 1911s.

If someone wants to spend $20,000+ on some over-under skeet shotgun, super. If someone wants to drop the same amount on a transferrable MP5, I whole-heartedly support it.

If someone wants to spend $4,000 on the pistol that he has envisioned, who am I to judge that? I am sure that my income is far under Grant's, but I merrily doled out about $3k on my custom 1911. The first time I wrapped my hand around that cold, perfectly checkered frontstrap, aligned those crisp, black sights, dropped my finger to the precisely fitted trigger, and applied about 4 pounds of pressure to let the hammer drop, I was truly happy. At that moment I owned the perfect pistol, the best in the world, and it was all mine. I still wince when I let someone else hold it (I almost called it "her" there).

Glocks are like good dogs, they are always there, and generally reliable. 1911s are like women, finicky and moody, but treated right they are a lot more fun than most dogs I have owned.

Paulinski
11-14-07, 14:30
I effing love guns. I love Glocks. I love AKs. I love ARs. I love 1911s.

If someone wants to spend $20,000+ on some over-under skeet shotgun, super. If someone wants to drop the same amount on a transferrable MP5, I whole-heartedly support it.

If someone wants to spend $4,000 on the pistol that he has envisioned, who am I to judge that? I am sure that my income is far under Grant's, but I merrily doled out about $3k on my custom 1911. The first time I wrapped my hand around that cold, perfectly checkered frontstrap, aligned those crisp, black sights, dropped my finger to the precisely fitted trigger, and applied about 4 pounds of pressure to let the hammer drop, I was truly happy. At that moment I owned the perfect pistol, the best in the world, and it was all mine. I still wince when I let someone else hold it (I almost called it "her" there).

Glocks are like good dogs, they are always there, and generally reliable. 1911s are like women, finicky and moody, but treated right they are a lot more fun than most dogs I have owned.

Excellent post. I agree 100%

KevinB
11-14-07, 14:47
I saw it in person - handled it and watched Grant shoot it in the house drills.

I must say - I'm awful tempted by it.

FWIW - every 1911 stoppage I had on the LL course with my 1911 was attributed to Nighthawks POS mags -- the Wilsons with the tripp followers worked fine. My Iraqi work 1911 has been 100% (except the 1943 ammo dead primered rounds I was shooting on the range).

I saw quite a few G19 stoppage on the class...

Nothing man made is 100% and nothing handheld is 100% either.

C4IGrant
11-14-07, 15:33
I saw it in person - handled it and watched Grant shoot it in the house drills.

I must say - I'm awful tempted by it.

FWIW - every 1911 stoppage I had on the LL course with my 1911 was attributed to Nighthawks POS mags -- the Wilsons with the tripp followers worked fine. My Iraqi work 1911 has been 100% (except the 1943 ammo dead primered rounds I was shooting on the range).

I saw quite a few G19 stoppage on the class...

Nothing man made is 100% and nothing handheld is 100% either.

I saw a couple Glock fail as well. There were a lot of 1911's in the class and only say one malfunction.

I am always amazed that people believe Glock to be superior to a 1911 (in the reliability arena), but I am constantly seeing them malfunction (including the one I owned).

C4

carshooter
11-14-07, 15:50
I am sure that my income is far under Grant's,

Dude, don't get the wrong idea......

Grant works in/ owns a gun store. Let me assure you, he could probably take home more money flipping burgers in the local McDonald's. :D

As someone else who's been employed full time in the industry for almost 10 years, let me assure you, most of us spend a seriously out of whack amount of money on our Gucci Gear and toys relative to our level of income

C4IGrant
11-14-07, 15:52
Dude, don't get the wrong idea......

Grant works in/ owns a gun store. Let me assure you, he could probably take home more money flipping burgers in the local McDonald's. :D

As someone else who's been employed full time in the industry for almost 10 years, let me assure you, most of us spend a seriously out of whack amount of money on our Gucci Gear and toys relative to our level of income

Or working for Uncle Sugar as a contractor. ;)

C4

Dport
11-14-07, 16:28
I am always amazed that people believe Glock to be superior to a 1911 (in the reliability arena), but I am constantly seeing them malfunction (including the one I owned).

C4

I see the most problems with G19s, in my experience. I don't think it is a good design. I see it as a compromise gun.

I don't recall ever having a bobble with my G17 in many thousands of rounds (I'm going to have to guess in the 5k area).

That said, I think the fuss about the lack of reliability of 1911s is overblown. I think the main problem with 1911s is the magazines. There are so many variants out there its ridiculous.