PDA

View Full Version : Documented FTF in BCM upper

Eurodriver
08-18-11, 15:09
I know this question gets tossed around a bunch, and I've tried to do my best to see exactly what these BCM uppers are capable of reliability wise. To do that I know I had to be meticulous in my records from Day One.

Today I reached my first failure of ANY kind at 3,164 rounds, and figured now would be a good time to post what I have documented.

11/15/2010: Ordered BCM 14.5" Midlength with Larue 9" rail and perm'd BCM A2X. Received 7 days later. Immediately cleaned, lubed, and installed on a complete LMT Defender 2000 Lower.

11/27/2010: Fired 100 rounds of Federal XM193 with a carry handle rear sight and PMAGs. Did not clean, apply lube, or wipe anything down.

12/15/2010: Fired 500 rounds of Federal XM855 with TA31RCOM4 optic and PMAGs. Did not clean, apply lube, or wipe anything down.

12/28/2010: Fired 280 rounds of Federal XM855 with TA31RCOM4 optic and USGI Mags. Cleaned meticulously, as I was going to be gone for six months. Barrel, chamber, bolt, receiver, all were scrubbed and a generous coat of lube was applied.

05/27/2011: Fired 600 rounds of Federal XM855 w/ TA31 and PMAGs. Wiped down the bolt without disassembly, used a rag to clean the chamber, barrel extension, and receiver. Then lubed generously with CLP.

06/13/2011: Upper sent to ADCO to remove pinned FH and have an AAC Brakeout installed.

06/29/2011: Weapon received from ADCO.

Between July 6th and today I went to the range five more times. I fired the remaining rounds (1,684 of PMC XTAC Edit: First 500 rounds were PMC Bronze .223) without any cleaning whatsoever. I did not break the weapon down or sqirt lube through the ejection port. Absolutely no maintenance was done and at round 3,164 I got a double feed using a pre-2004 LE Marked USGI aluminum magazine with a green follower.

I doubt it was the weapon's fault, but I will still treat it as such until I experience more failures with that same magazine.

Specs:
14.5" BCM Midlength
Larue 9" FF Rail
H Buffer
LMT Defender 2000 Lower

Today I will thoroughly clean and lube it, no sense in beating up an upper for no reason, but the documentation will continue. I don't want a failure, either parts-related, carbon-related, or magazine-related but getting a short stroke or stovepipe would have been a sure indication of a weapon related failure as opposed to a double feed which is almost postively magazine related.

For an extra bit of info: Today I shot an 8" group of 20 rounds at 300 yards with PMC XTAC M855 with this upper. I was shooting at an 8" Shoot-n-c target and there were zero shots off the sticker. Just over 2.5 MOA. That seems to be typical for this upper and M855.

To end this, I am not trying to brag about BCM, be a fanboy of any type, or make wild claims of what this rifle is capable of. I just wanted to present the undisputed facts of what I've been keeping note of so far. Also, I have alot more information recorded than what is posted (weather, etc) so if there are any questions about something that I haven't mentioned, please ask.

Shiz
08-18-11, 16:47
too bad you don't have a piston setup for 300 dollars more. It would have been more reliable. :rolleyes:
:D

BTW, thank you for your update. Nutin wrong of being a fanboy of something that works..and works...and works.

JohnnyC
08-18-11, 19:34
Stupid story time. I've got a BCM 16" midlength that has about 3000 rounds through it, never cleaned since first inspection/cleaning. I'm taking a carbine class, small, low round count, with 3 other guys. About round 10 one dude has problems with his Stag. This continues with the other two guys as well, each experiencing malfunctions, something on the order of every 30ish rounds between the 3 of them. At around round 250, I get a failure to fire. Dimpled primer just didn't ignite. PMC Bronze. The line stops dead, everyone looks at me, and one guy finally chimes up, "you finally had a malfunction!!!!" I picked up the round off the ground (had already did proper malfunction clearing and finished the course of fire) threw it back in the chamber, click. Yup, bad round. I've never seen someone so steamed about my gun running like a top. Still have yet to have a gun-related malfunction to this day. Round count around 4000ish, nothing but lube, sometimes just 10W-30. Those BCM 16" kids just love to run!

jet80tv
08-19-11, 09:07
That's great about your rifles but haven't you heard of Filthy 14? It's well documented what a BCM can do though the original bolt "only" lasted 16,000 some rnds the rest of the rifle went 40,000 plus. It was cleaned and lubed at various points.

Doc Safari
08-19-11, 09:45
These glowing reports don't surprise me at all. My BCM carbine is approaching its first thousand rounds without a single malfunction of any kind, and only using new but nothing special GI mags. I have lubed it, but I have never cleaned it.

Kfgk14
08-19-11, 14:21
That's impressive, I must say. I'm glad I went BCM with many of my parts on this latest build.

Eurodriver
08-19-11, 16:58
That's great about your rifles but haven't you heard of Filthy 14? It's well documented what a BCM can do though the original bolt "only" lasted 16,000 some rnds the rest of the rifle went 40,000 plus. It was cleaned and lubed at various points.

I am well aware of Pat's rifle but that doesn't mean I can't document my own rifle. Also, pat's rifle is a 16" Midlength.

There have been myriad threads made lately about the 14.5" midlength not providing enough gas to cycle the action using weak (pmc bronze, wolf, etc) .223 ammo or when the upper starts to get dirty.

BC520
08-20-11, 08:35
EAG# 70 is a 14.5. As of July it had around 12,000 rounds, 1500 of them mine. Its filthy and ran like a sewing machine for me. Just saying.

I have the utmost trust in BCM 14.5 ML's.

Eurodriver
08-20-11, 08:47
I have the utmost trust in BCM 14.5 ML's.

As do I. Aside from my A4 clone they are all I own.