PDA

View Full Version : Any (bird) hunters on here?

Packman73
08-18-11, 15:29
I'll be getting the shotguns out this weekend to inspect and clean before dove season. I didn't get out for coyotes this year because I've been too busy but I can't be kept from doves, quail, ducks and occasionally, pigeons.:cool:

Travis B
08-18-11, 22:11
I do some quail hunting with my girlfriend's dad every year. He's in it more for the training for his German Shorthaired Pointers, but it's still a great opportunity to knock down a few birds. Hopefully I'll have my dad's old 16ga Remington 1100 up and running for this season. It's a beautiful shotgun, but the gas system is worn out.

Jfkudla
08-19-11, 07:42
Big waterfowler here. I'm in New England, so we have a nice flyway with a good spread. Although we don't get the quantities lie some of the shows on TV, I see enough birds to keep me into it.

Packman73
08-19-11, 08:48
Ducks are probably my favorite to hunt. A lot of people don't realize how amazing they are. I got some brand new decoys this summer for a steal and I can't wait to try them out. :cool:

Jfkudla
08-19-11, 08:53
Ducks are probably my favorite to hunt. A lot of people don't realize how amazing they are. I got some brand new decoys this summer for a steal and I can't wait to try them out. :cool:

Absolutely. I went nuts buying new gear last year..I got a dozen GHG Mallards, a dozen G&H Mallards, and a dozen of GHG divers for realism. I got the "quivering butt," and I forget who makes it..but that thing rocks. Cabela's usually puts Mojo decoys (the motion ones with spinning wings) on sale and I got one pretty cheap..also a great addition. I usually keep a few sets on a jerk string.

What kind of decoys did you get?

Travis B
08-19-11, 08:59

I picked up an old Armstrong Sneaker (http://www.pokeboat.com/db_sneak.htm) duck boat/canoe earlier this year and want to try it out this duck season. We'll see how it goes.

Packman73
08-19-11, 09:19
What kind of decoys did you get?
Tanglefree. I got like 22 Mallards (swimmers and feeders) for $30.:eek:
We also use my late father-in-law's roboduck (motorized rotating-wing decoy drake).

Ironbutt
08-19-11, 22:55
Bird hunters? Hell yeah! In October I like nothing better than taking my two labs out for pheasants, or better yet, going up on the mountain & annoying the hell out of the grouse population.

B Cart
08-19-11, 23:56
I look forward to waterfowl season every year! I've been hunting ducks and geese hard every year since I was 11. It's awesome fun and gives me something to get super excited about in October!

ArRazorback
08-20-11, 00:15
With opening weekend of dove season around the corner, I used to always find myself torn between the first Razorback game and shooting dove. After getting a Boykin pup my mind has been made for me. Last year he picked up every bird I shot, plus two that he nosed out after friends thought they'd lost them in the field. Definitely looking forward to a successful repeat and his first duck hunt this year.

Packman73
08-20-11, 01:39
Going to get my stamps tomorrow...I'm getting pretty psyched.:D

J-Dub
08-20-11, 08:06
Yep, Doves mostly. But i did get a brittany puppy and the training is about to begin.

I plan on starting to hunt more upland and waterfowl in the next years. I also plan on picking up a 28ga O/U...

Travis B
08-20-11, 16:37
Bad news for my potential turkey hunt this year: when someone was mowing our field they accidentally ran over the turkey nest. Only the hen got away.

48J
08-20-11, 23:19
My favorite is quail hunting and grouse is a close second. I have been away for the past six seasons and, in that time, have lost one dog to SARDS and the other to old age. At some point, I will get a couple of young dogs and start the training process over again. This time, I will include my son in the process. At 14 months, he, too, will need some training.

GunnutAF
08-21-11, 14:34
Yep dove hunt, quail, pheasant, chukars. Going down to NV in Oct to do chukar with my brother.:D

GeorgiaBoy
08-21-11, 20:10
Wingshooting is my favorite type of hunting. Waterfowl is my primary game, and deer season is really something to just keep me from being bored in between bird seasons.

Dove season is like early target practice for ducks.

Packman73
08-22-11, 00:37
Wingshooting is my favorite type of hunting. Waterfowl is my primary game, and deer season is really something to just keep me from being bored in between bird seasons.

Dove season is like early target practice for ducks.

I hear ya; I LOVE duck hunting. What a rush.:cool:

Artos
08-22-11, 07:23
You guys will dig these action pics...check out the shot knocking the dust off the doves. Very good captures whoever did the camera work.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228323

It's going to be a banner year for dove & whitewing...I'll be helping a friend do some guiding on his farm & so ready for the labor day opener.

Watrdawg
08-22-11, 07:30
I'm a very ardent waterfowler. I've got 2 labs and if we aren't hunting we are running Hunt Tests and Field Trials in the off season. I also love dove hunting along with upland birds. Being in NC we get a decent duck season. It's best along the coast and in northeastern NC. Can't wait until Sept. 3rd! Opening day of dove season. Starts off all the fall hunting seasons for us. That same day early goose season and archery deer season start.

M4Fundi
08-23-11, 01:06
I like to kill all our feathered friends, but nothing beats pointing dogs on MT Huns:D

Watrdawg
08-23-11, 07:33
Talk about Montana birds. I was elk hunting in the Beaverhead National Forest below Butte 6 yrs ago and during the middle of the day I shot 4 Franklin Grouse with my bow. They were pretty easy to get within 20 yards of before they ran away. Unfortunately that is all I shot on that hunt.

M4Fundi
08-24-11, 01:29
I have to say many of my friends come home from bow hunting elk with more Blues than elk:p

CRAMBONE
08-24-11, 05:52
With opening weekend of dove season around the corner, I used to always find myself torn between the first Razorback game and shooting dove. After getting a Boykin pup my mind has been made for me. Last year he picked up every bird I shot, plus two that he nosed out after friends thought they'd lost them in the field. Definitely looking forward to a successful repeat and his first duck hunt this year.

Its usually the same for me and Miss State. Unfortunately I will miss both this year. :( But you better believe Im gonna blast the hell out of some bushy tails and ducks.

Watrdawg
08-24-11, 07:08
I have to say many of my friends come home from bow hunting elk with more Blues than elk:p

Now that I think about it they were Blues and not Franklin's. Good eating birds either way.

tmanker
08-24-11, 19:24
I hunt pheasants and ducks, among other things, with my draht, Bruno. Pheasant hunting here in Iowa has been crap the last few years so I've been doing a lot more waterfowl hunting.

Artos
08-24-11, 19:48
Now that I think about it they were Blues and not Franklin's. Good eating birds either way.

We call scaled quail blues down this way and have 50/50 mix on the ranch I hunt along w/ bobs of course.

frustating critter to retrieve off the senderos...even for the dogs.

amac
08-24-11, 20:34
Duck hunting here. Living in NOLA, I'm pretty close to some good marsh land. I plan to make my first trip into Arkansas this year. I'm dying for an all out mallard hunt.

tpd223
08-24-11, 23:03
I go out every year to western KS on the opening day of pheasant season.

Good times.

Confed-rifleman
08-25-11, 01:40
Got a new spot for waterfowl we found while hunting turkey. Found a small lake set back in the woods with corn nearby that's great for mallards, woodies and canadas. Got new decoys. Got a few boxes of shells. Practicing calling a little. October seems so far away.

Watrdawg
08-25-11, 07:09
We call scaled quail blues down this way and have 50/50 mix on the ranch I hunt along w/ bobs of course.

Here in NC we have a poor quail population. Farming practices have really decreased their habitat. Farmers have changed a bit and are leaving a belt of cover for them along the edges of the fields and it's helping. The only quail hunting I've done is on game farms. It's been fun though. I've used my lab as a flusher working along with the game farms pointers. He loves the flushing part. That's the only time he gets to charge into the birds and bust them up. When we're duck hunting he has to watch his manners in the blind or boat.

J-Dub
08-28-11, 07:54

I've been thinking about going down to big bend and try to hunt some of the WMA's ( think one is called white elephant)...

handlebar1980
08-31-11, 20:44
Dove season opens here in the moring in Oklahoma. can not wait

Packman73
08-31-11, 22:07
Dove season opens here in the moring in Oklahoma. can not wait

Same here but I'll not be going out until the afternoon for a short time.:( Saturday will be a good day.:cool:

J-Dub
09-01-11, 08:14
Its dove season!!

I think i'm going to pick up a new 20ga. Yildiz or CZ O/U

Watrdawg
09-01-11, 08:23
CZ imports a nice O/U and also SxS's from Turkey. The work is very nice and the wood used is also. The cost when comparing the overall quality is very hard to beat. I've been eyeing one of their Ringneck 28ga SxS's for a while now.

J-Dub
09-01-11, 11:28
Ya i have a 12ga CZ bobwhite that i'm trying to sell to fund a 20ga.

907_bushmaster
09-22-11, 12:56
well no doves here in alaska but got canadain geese and malards n grouse and road chickens..got a blk lab/ g shepard mix she getting ready to go out this weekend :) both ar15/shotgun hunter here

J-Dub
09-22-11, 13:54
I ended up getting a CZ Woodcock Deluxe in 20ga. Now if i can find some dove to shoot with it!

M4Fundi
09-22-11, 18:11
Our place is smothered in dove and I don't have time to go shoot any:(

M4A34U
09-22-11, 21:45
Big duck hunter here in the marshes of Louisiana. Teal season is on and birds are dropping.

yellowfin
09-26-11, 23:47
Grew up with dove and duck hunting, now trying to get back into it after a 9 year hiatus. I've learned the hard way just how perishable wingshooting skills are--almost 16 years of it but with almost a decade out of it makes it like I never did it at all :(

J-Dub
11-27-12, 17:20
Finally got my pup on some wild HUNS!!!! Im hooked in the worst way!!!! Four day upland safari coming up in dec., on the hunt for huns and chuks!!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/jwpend/039.jpg

Anyone else bird hunting?

Kain
11-27-12, 18:38
Do some pheasant hunting from time to time when I am up with family. My uncle has a pair of Britney Spaniels, both from the same litter, good dogs and work damn well together. Missed it this year, but did a good deal last year and a few years before me and my father went out to Iowa for a pheasant, were flushing six and eight and sometimes more birds at a go. Forget removing the plugs from our Franchis we needed mag fed shotguns :laugh:

I suppose I should break the shotguns down and give them a good cleaning since they aren't getting used this year. May have to look out for another Franchi after the first, have thought about trying to find another Hunter's model AL48 like my Dad's, or a 12 gauge version, harder to find but I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Packman73
11-27-12, 18:47
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/ScxfGhkkoX.jpg (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/290776/cat/500)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/111104_0032.jpg (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/290777/cat/500)

BobM
11-27-12, 19:05
Got invited to a friend's place for quail hunting earlier this month. I'd never done any bird hunting. I've been three times this month and now I'm hooked.

M4Fundi
11-28-12, 02:30
Finally got my pup on some wild HUNS!!!! Im hooked in the worst way!!!! Four day upland safari coming up in dec., on the hunt for huns and chuks!!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/jwpend/039.jpg

Anyone else bird hunting?

J-Dub way to go! Perdix perdix are my favorites to hunt above all game birds. What kind of dog and where were you hunting?

J-Dub
11-28-12, 06:57
American Brittany, as to where....we'll just say somewhere north of CO and south of MT.

In certain areas I've found good numbers of Huns, which is fine by me because theres nothing like a covey rise in front of a dog turned to stone.