PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Accuracy?

An Undocumented Worker
08-18-11, 18:01
I am starting to wonder, how inherently accurate 9mm is, or how accurate a 9mm pistol can ultimately get.

I've seen 1911's that are stupid accurate, one hole 5 round groups at 15 yards. As well as revolvers shooting 38 special. I have never been able to achieve such accuracy from my 9mm's and have never seen a 9mm that accurate.

Typically when testing accuracy I shoot at 50 feet and achieve 2.5 to 3 inch groups typically. I do not have access to a ransom rest. (Grant I remember you posting about getting a ransom rest but havn't updated us on it)

Is it possible to achieve rediculous levels of accuracy from a 9mm pistol?

LtDave
08-18-11, 21:25
It really depends on the gun.

I have a G34 that will do 2" to 2.25" at 20 yds off a rest with several loads, but I haven't been able to break 2". My M&P 9L has hit 1.25" with Winchester White Box and shoots several other loads under 2". I've had good results with 115 gr JHPs with 6.0 gr of Power Pistol or 4.5 gr Bullseye in several guns. 147 gr Hornady FMJs over 4.0 of WSF also shoot well for me. Some guns have a definite preference as to what bullet weight they like.

SMJayman
08-18-11, 21:28
I put 5 rounds of 124gr Gold Dot +p into a 1.7" group off a rest at 25y with a Glock 19. I don't know that I could duplicate that on demand, but that seemed to be as good as a gun of that size ought to do. The bullet type is, in my experience, the biggest arbiter of accuracy. A quality JHP is always going to be more accurate.

Edit: here's the group. First group was with Berry's Plated bullets. (Which suck, note the group size.) Second group was the aforementioned Gold Dots.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2238/2484534968_fb05d24683.jpg

MHL555
08-19-11, 18:41
Hello AUW, Most 9's will shoot 2-3 inches at 25 yards with good ammo. I have three tack drivers 9's. Sig 210, Sig 225 and a S&W PPC 9. The 210 and 225 will shoot 1- 2 inch groups at 25 yards. My PPC 9 has shot 1-2 inch groups at 50 yards from a rest. The military is shooting match grade Beretta 92's 3 inches or less at 50 yards (one handed). Try shooting a friends Sig 9, you will like it.
be safe, Mark ;)

OMD
08-20-11, 00:13
No different than any other caliber - perfectly capable of target accuracy - all about the gun and care of ammo prep. Considering it spaces off the mouth one really needs to take care in uniform case prep, seating and crimp for accurate ammo, just like the 45acp. My first gun for gunsmith school was a Star BM - a smaller, similar version of the 1911 in 9mm. It was very reliable and sturdier than what others told me after I worked on it. After doing the usual 1911 accuracy tuning (tightening rails, lap, fitting bushings, etc.) it would would touch all 5 at 15 yards standing offhand with low vel 124gn lead RNs if I was up to it. If I could do it as a novice smith with a Spanish clone the caliber should be more than capable of fine accuracy. Another reason why the P7s were(are) so popular with their incredible accuracy.