PDA

View Full Version : Would You Let Your Kid Touch a Machine Gun?

bulbvivid
08-18-11, 18:10
Oh, the horror!!!

I really don't know what to say. All I can do is shake my head at the stupidity. I do feel for the councilwoman who was shocked and devastated, though. For shame.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/18/police-defend-letting-kids-hold-automatic-weapons/#ixzz1VQNiwrgt

Suwannee Tim
08-18-11, 18:19
Kids and guns? Egads!

Alex V
08-18-11, 19:46
Saw that on FoxNews and just shook my head... People are wacky.

The_War_Wagon
08-18-11, 19:55
"I would not want my child to be involved with something like that... Those guns, they should have been behind glass -- to teach the kids that you don't want to deal with this gun, because it kills." Holtz told FoxNews.com.

Huh... I always WONDERED what my rifles were doing in my safe, while I was at work each day. They jump out, load themselves up, run down the street, and indiscriminantly "kills" people, apparently. :rolleyes:

I, for one, am glad the kids got to fondle a REAL 30 round mag IN CA. It might be the ONLY time they EVER do... :(

QuietShootr
08-18-11, 20:00
someone who was less polite might say, "STFU and go shave your legs, you nasty hippy cunt."

I'm just saying.

Quiet-Matt
08-18-11, 20:23
Good grief:rolleyes:

We had an open gun rack in the den when I was a kid. Guns, stereo, and the TV right there as the focal point of the room. When I was 4 Dad noticed that I was paying more and more attention to the guns, then one day he cought me taking a closer look. Was his reaction to panic and cry like one of these liberal bitches? NO! He took every gun and the associated ammo (and me) into the back yard. He set up an old hubcap as a target and we proceeded to shoot every gun. He had no mercy, and when it was over the cat's curiosity had been cured! I then had some understanding of the devistating power of guns and I did't want to look at them for a long time.

When my brother decided that he wanted to smoke at the age of 10, Dad had the cure for that too. Dad, my brother, a bowl for an ashtray, and a pack of camel un-filtered cigarettes in the cab of a pickup truck with the windows rolled up.:bad: They were sick for days! My brother still can't stand cigarette smoke some 30 years later.

If people don't stop coddling these children, we're going to have a society of faggoty-ass sniveling kids growing into likewise adults! Grow a set America!

khc3
08-18-11, 22:15
"I am coming from the heart of a woman, a mother, a grandmother," she added.

And we let them vote?

BCmJUnKie
08-18-11, 22:17
Ive been watching the trial on TruTv in the mornings. I was pretty shocked.

I think it comes on around 8am? Im in Colo though

Edit: My bad, I didnt open the link, I thought it was something completely different, let me find it

This is what I was thinking. Like I said, the trial is on in the mornings on Tru
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/26385792/detail.html

montanadave
08-18-11, 22:31
someone who was less polite might say, "STFU and go shave your legs, you nasty hippy cunt."

I'm just saying.

:lol:

I think you may have a bright future in the NRA's California Community Outreach Program.

SteyrAUG
08-18-11, 23:31
More Bizarroworld thinking from Commiefornia.

I was SHOOTING machine guns at that age.

khc3
08-18-11, 23:51
Ive been watching the trial on TruTv in the mornings. I was pretty shocked.

I think it comes on around 8am? Im in Colo though

Edit: My bad, I didnt open the link, I thought it was something completely different, let me find it

This is what I was thinking. Like I said, the trial is on in the mornings on Tru
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/26385792/detail.html

Yeah, that story is heartbreaking. The boy was just a bit older than my son. I can only imagine how the dad feels.

skyugo
08-19-11, 00:09
why they don't teach gun safety in first grade is beyond me. This article is ridiculous.

SteyrAUG
08-19-11, 00:16
Yeah, that story is heartbreaking. The boy was just a bit older than my son. I can only imagine how the dad feels.

There is a right way and a wrong way to let an 8 year old shoot an Uzi. They are OBVIOUSLY heavy so a competent adult should have been there hands on ready to control the weapon if needed.

As a kid I shot Uzis, MACs and even Thompsons. The Uzi and Thompson were simply too heavy for me to safely control alone so somebody was always there ready to control the weapon and provide me a little support. While the MAC wasn't heavy it was all over the place so I had somebody there ready to control the weapon if needed.

Letting a kid with no experience try it all by himself is a really bad idea. I was probably 12 before I could manage something like a Thompson by myself. What happened to the kid in that story is terrible, mostly because it was so preventable.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-11, 02:53
I kind of want a kid. Just so I can teach him to shoot when he's a kid.

It'd be awesome to see an 8 year old fire an M240. Imagine the smile, dude.

Suwannee Tim
08-19-11, 05:44
........mostly because it was so preventable.

From a different perspective, from someone who has shot machine guns very few times, my thoughts exactly.

Scoby
08-19-11, 05:48
I commented on this in BCmJUnkies' thread.

It was tragic and preventable. The father will have to live with this the rest of his life.

MS0892 - The smile would be WIDE and would only go away when the M240 was put away.

Abraxas
08-19-11, 06:24
Oh, the horror!!!

I really don't know what to say. All I can do is shake my head at the stupidity. I do feel for the councilwoman who was shocked and devastated, though. For shame.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/18/police-defend-letting-kids-hold-automatic-weapons/#ixzz1VQNiwrgt

Some peoples kids:rolleyes:

Cameron
08-19-11, 19:13
With correct supervision then there should be no problems.

The first story about the cops letting the kids touch their weapons is fine. The second story is a tragedy of a failure of adult supervision.

Cameron

Shawn.L
08-19-11, 20:09
From a few years ago..... think he was 10

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/spelf01/th_SN850143.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/spelf01/?action=view&current=SN850143.mp4)

great video about recoil managment and stance :laugh:

Sensei
08-19-11, 22:10
8 years old - No for 2 reasons

1) I've watched the video and it is obvious that the child does not have the strength or training to control the recoil. This is not surprising as all of the ranges in my region forbid full auto fire because adults can't keep all the rounds on the backstop. Thus, it will be bolt action 22's for my son until I'm sure that he can independently control the weapon's weight and recoil on semi or FA

2) As philosophical manner, I plan to teach my son that we shoot firearms for a purpose (i.e hit the target, kill the deer, etc.) and I really do not believe in plinking. Basically, I will teach him that guns are a tool with a purpose, not a toy for indiscriminate use. Having him spray rounds aimlessly undermines the serious mindset that I want him to have toward firearms.

LHS
08-19-11, 22:41
I fired an Uzi at age 8, but my dad was smart enough to only put three rounds in the magazine. That one burst pretty much jumpstarted a lifelong love affair with firearms. It was a seminal moment in my childhood, something that changed going to the range from tedious boredom (sitting around waiting for Dad to finish shooting and having to be quiet while the adults talked) to incredible excitement. I think children should definitely be exposed to firearms as soon as they're capable of understanding the ramifications of using a gun, the better to indoctrinate them in safe handling habits.

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 00:23
8 years old - No for 2 reasons

1) I've watched the video and it is obvious that the child does not have the strength or training to control the recoil. This is not surprising as all of the ranges in my region forbid full auto fire because adults can't keep all the rounds on the backstop. Thus, it will be bolt action 22's for my son until I'm sure that he can independently control the weapon's weight and recoil on semi or FA

2) As philosophical manner, I plan to teach my son that we shoot firearms for a purpose (i.e hit the target, kill the deer, etc.) and I really do not believe in plinking. Basically, I will teach him that guns are a tool with a purpose, not a toy for indiscriminate use. Having him spray rounds aimlessly undermines the serious mindset that I want him to have toward firearms.

I agree with your first point. As to the second, when I was 12 and shooting SMGs I was taught short controlled burst and I was keeping things well on target.

If at 8 years old I had something a bit more appropriate like an AM-180 I could have done the same.

Sensei
08-21-11, 00:21
I agree with your first point. As to the second, when I was 12 and shooting SMGs I was taught short controlled burst and I was keeping things well on target.

If at 8 years old I had something a bit more appropriate like an AM-180 I could have done the same.

Overall, I think that we are on the same page. Depending on physical build and maturity, I think that 10 or 12 is appropriate age to try burst then full auto fire.

When I watched this video, it appeared that he is handed the weapon by an adult supervisor and basically told to squeeze the trigger. There does not appear any meaningful instruction on how to use the sights or aim.

Thomas M-4
08-21-11, 01:45
Speaking from what I can remember at that age. I got to shoot a Model 723 carbine [ from what I have researched now] only thing I knew at that age was it was a M-16. I was in 3rd grade so I am guessing I was 10 or 11 yrs old. I had shot BB guns and 22LR marlins I shot the 723 carbine semi about 5-8 rds I had a SSgt tutoring me with it. He would hold on the hand guard steadying it because I was swinging it because it was heavy to me at the time. I remember asking him why wasn't it full auto in my 10-11 yr old mind was that all M-16's were full auto. I remember this distinctly that he didn't say any thing I fired a few more shots and when I was down to my last 3 shots he reached over and flipped the selector switch and told me to hold down the trigger it didn't click with me at the time what he had done , I was still expecting semi auto fire. I remember that I was surprised that the gun recoiled with every shot for some reason in my 10-11 yr old mind I thought the the gun would recoil once it never crossed my mind that it would recoil with each shot. Simple I know but having never experienced FA before and at that age it had never accrued to me that it would do that.

variablebinary
08-21-11, 04:51
If my judgement felt my kid could handle a machine gun, sure...

CarlosDJackal
08-21-11, 07:13
Shame on them. The Po-lice should know better than that. Today's youth is supposed to learn about guns from movies, the media and their local neighborhood gang-bangers. :rolleyes:

CarlosDJackal
08-21-11, 07:17
If my judgement felt my kid could handle a machine gun, sure...

Yup. I personally know adults who should not be handling guns much less full-auto ones.

Age doesn't mean a thing. Whether you should allow someone to handle a firearm, any firearm, should be based on their mental and physical ability.

Shawn.L
08-21-11, 07:43
Overall, I think that we are on the same page. Depending on physical build and maturity, I think that 10 or 12 is appropriate age to try burst then full auto fire.

When I watched this video, it appeared that he is handed the weapon by an adult supervisor and basically told to squeeze the trigger. There does not appear any meaningful instruction on how to use the sights or aim.

If your talking about the video I posted my son had already been shooting for years before this, was fully briefed before the gun and camera where on, and I feel executed it perfectly.

Made all those explanations of stance "click" for him I thought, was a great teaching tool.

SteyrAUG
08-21-11, 12:50

I agree. In the video example where the kid shoots himself, nobody is being taught to shoot, or control the weapon. It is a "shoot a machine gun for fun" event.