PDA

View Full Version : 13" Troy Alpha Rail shipping now

Coastiejohn
08-18-11, 18:58
Mostly a lurker here but i thought i would let those of you who have been waiting on the alpha rail know that Troy sent me an email saying the 13" is shipping now, and the 11" soon. I placed an order for the 13" today and it should arrive on the 28. Will try to do a wright up when it gets here and i install it. (no promises because i usually don't post much.)

boomhower
08-19-11, 09:11
Looking forward to it. I am very interested in that rail. I've got two 16" but a 14.5 with a Alpha rail may very well be my next build.

Skyfire1201
08-21-11, 00:47
Is this the rail with built in front BUIS? Does anyone know if it uses the same custom barrel nut as the Troy Extreme series?

zukiii
08-21-11, 10:12
The rail uses the standard barrel nut.

devinsdad
08-21-11, 14:27
Been waiting on these for some time now, looking forward to the 9" FDE version, that should fill the bill.

Coastiejohn
08-23-11, 18:35
So the rail arrived today, and the finish looks great (as expected from troy). Won't be able to install it till sat but if anyone has any questions i will answer to the best of my ability. A question i remember reading somewhere is if the front sight locks in the up position, the answer is yes. the spring loaded sight pops up quick and locks solid in the up position.

intermission
08-23-11, 19:33
Just picked mine up from a local shop. I can't wait to try it out, installation was a breeze.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/intermision/IMG_6092.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/intermision/IMAG0034-1.jpg

Coastiejohn
08-23-11, 20:38
Looks good mounted. What length barrel you running?

intermission
08-23-11, 20:51
Looks good mounted. What length barrel you running?

It's over a 16" barrel. I just need to pick up a rear bus that will fit under the scope.

TonyTacoma
08-23-11, 22:17
Oh boy, been looking for a lightweight rail. Think this may be it.

CJFirefly
08-25-11, 01:04
How exactly does it mount to the stock barrel nut? I see the screws but can't tell how or what they are secured to.

intermission
08-25-11, 01:56
The rail has grooves that key into the barrel nut. And then the set screws are attached to clamps on the inside the hook onto the inner part of the barrel nut.

I'm not sure if the explanation makes since, but it is actually a very simple and sturdy setup. I can't feel any slop in it at all.

justin_247
08-25-11, 06:45
I'm very curious as to how this compares to the Samson, Troy, and DD tubes... does it have any flex like was reported with the Samson and Troy?

intermission
08-25-11, 13:28
I'm very curious as to how this compares to the Samson, Troy, and DD tubes... does it have any flex like was reported with the Samson and Troy?

Honestly, I'm not aware of what was being said about other tubes. This tube doesn't seem to have any flex, but I still haven't had a chance to shoot with it.

08-25-11, 14:16
[QUOTE=intermission;1081857]Just picked mine up from a local shop. I can't wait to try it out, installation was a breeze.

Is this Alpha rail at 13.8" or just to 13"? There's no specs on the Troy web site.

intermission
08-25-11, 14:27
It's a 13"

Here is the Troy link
http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-alpha-coming-soon

One thing I noticed is that the area around the sight is different than the stock photo, but every picture of the production rails i've seen online look like mine.

Coastiejohn
08-25-11, 15:13
Put a machinist square on the top of mine and it is a hair over 13", and the top rail is razor straight, no bowing or twisting that I can detect.

intermission
08-25-11, 15:20
I just tried to flex it by squeezing the barrel and tube between my thumb and fingers and the only thing that moves is the barrel. I'm not sure if this is a proper way to test the rigidity of the rail, but it seems like it shows that the rail is stiff.

Coastiejohn
08-28-11, 11:01
Well the alpha rail is now installed, and will now give my half-assed review.

First some back ground. The rifle it went on is a 2006 Smith M&P15 bought new the same year. It was my first rifle purchase where I kinda knew what I wanted but not really so I got the smith because I got a hell of a military discount on it at the time. I wanted to set it up as close to the MK18 that I was shooting on the job (MSST) so I went with an eotech for my optic, a troy rear flip sight, a surefire M73 rail (could not find the KAC rail that was on the MK18) and a surefire M900a VFG weapons light. Now this rifle has been no more than just a practice/fun gun for me, it's not a SHTF, or a down range weapon and when I am not shooting it sits clean in its weapons case. I have used it for one carbine course, a bunch of 3 gun matches and carbine shoots, and average about 1500 rounds a year. I keep this rifle clean, well oiled, use good mags and ammo and have had zero malfunctions and zero parts break, but again I feel I have only run this gun hard once. I started to use the extended hand forward style of shooting on the M16 I qualify with for the job and found myself liking it more and more so decided to but an extended rail on my gun and train with it that way as well. I choose the Alpha rail for no other reason than troy is a good manufacture and I liked the way the integral front sight worked on the rail. I have never even shot a rifle with a free float rail before so I have no frame of reference for comparing it to anything else. I also added a battlecomp 1.0 because basically, why the hell not heard it shoots nice so I will splurge a little.

Now to the install. before this the only thing I had really done to this gun over the years is replace the stock with a vltor, and add a miad grip. I am very mechanically inclined having rebuilt a few engines, and knowing some basic fab skills so was not too worried. Used all the prober tools, (action block, armorer's tool, front sight block and good punches). I decided to just shave down the FSB which was the only thing I was worried about but I took my time and it went smooth, although at this point I would like to send out a big F-you to S&W/Stag for driving the pins in the FSB from the opposite side from every other manufacture on the planet. But I did figure it out, thanks internet.

The rail locks up nice and tight and the tri-point clamp design seems solid, again it is a light duty rifle for me so it should last a life time. I really like the small diameter and the length is perfect for my reach. I actually use the button on the front sight as my thumbs index point but I am considering trying an AVG to see if I like it.

took it to the range just to do a function test and re-zero. It did not blow up in my face so I am pretty sure I put it back together right. The front sight zeroed real nice with the rear and I was only 4 clicks left of center on the rear sight so the front is not canted that I can tell.

So in closing it fits solid on the stock barrel nut, front sight is dead on. and it looks good so what else could I ask for. Ohh and 2 big thumbs up on the battle comp, I am REALLY impressed on the muzzle climb difference.

fatboyR6
08-29-11, 00:49
AIM has both 11" and the 13" in stock

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XTSTRXAL111BT00&name=Troy+Ind.+11%22+Alpha+Battle+Rail+Black&groupid=6

08-29-11, 00:57
You got any pictures of this bad boy?

08-29-11, 23:47
Here are my initial impressions with regards to this particular rail. I have used Troy products in the past like sights and breaks, but I have never used their rails so I should have an unbiased and straight forward opinion. I’m usually a Daniel Defense guy.

First off, the finish appears to be standard from Troy, good quality and well covered. Front pop up sight is a nice touch. It does lock in the up position with the touch of a button and unlocks in the same manner. There is a slight play front to back when the sight is in the up position, but nothing to get your panties in a knot over. All etchings are clear and concise. The rail over all looks great if you’re into that kinda thing.

The installation of the rail is straight forward. Remove your comp or FH, shaved or replace the FSB with a low profile GB, remove the delta ring from the barrel nut. Put it all back together and then slide the rail over the barrel onto the factory barrel nut. It’s a slight clockwise turn to seat the rail. Three locking screws are then tightened evenly to secure the rail as per the directions. Here’s where I found the rail does take some adjusting to get it lined up flush. The first time I tightened the three screws down I noticed the gap between upper receiver and the rail was quite large. I did use a detachable carry handle to line up the two and it didn’t work out so well for me. The second time I did it holding the rail and upper receiver vertically and attempted to tighten the screws down as evenly as possible starting with the base screw then the side screws. This did close the gap to an acceptable tolerance for my taste.
Once the rail was installed it felt secure and solid and a bit like a cheese grater on my bare hands. I do use Dove soap every night for your information so the cut outs hurt the delicate skin structure of my meat tuggers. Just joking, I have heard others bitch about the design of the rail’s roughness in TRX Extreme posts but IMHO it’s not bad at all. Seriously though, I like the feel of the rail, no slips, good ergonomics and it’s as light as a small turd!

Here’s my set up, Colt BCG, Upper, Lower w/ Mil Spec Trigger , DD 14.5 CHF Light Weight Barrel Mid Length, Battle Comp 1.5, MOE stock, H-1 micro, SF mini scout, H2 buffer and a 13” Alpha rail. Going to get the rear sight from Troy in the morning.

I do shoot a fair amount however, this particular set up meaning the barrel, rail and battle comp have yet to see a round fired but that will change in about 14 hours. I hope this rail holds up, if it does I’m looking
forward to using this rifle for work. I’ll post if it doesn’t but it feels and looks like it will.

This dame thing wont let me upload any photos, sorry.

Have a Good One!!!

docsherm
08-30-11, 04:51
9114-

That is almost the exact same build I am working on...now that Troy has the rails. I was really hoping to see a pic of your set up to see if I need to make any changes. Thanks for the review.

08-31-11, 01:04
Here are some pictures of my rifle.

tailwind5sw
09-06-11, 21:44
I recieved my 13 inch alpha rail today and with gear excitement I raced home to install it after work. The mounting system is much sturdier than the original extreme and vtac rails. I am replacing a vtac that is itself a replacement for a first run batch of vtac rails that the tab will crack off due to the extra grove that is right at its base, which is not present on the newer handguards.

Any way back to the new issue. Looks like the gas block has to be behind the sight and under the handguard as the shaved fsb hits the sight on folding and the gas tube is visable in the cutout for the sight above the edges of the slot that the sight sits on when folded. Any ideas out there.

Coastiejohn
09-07-11, 09:00
That seems odd. My carbine gas system sits solidly behind the front sight. Is yours a mid length system? Does the shaved fsb interfere with the sights operation? Can the fsb be cut down anymore without fubaring it?

tailwind5sw
09-07-11, 09:10
Mine has an intermediate length system. The pin for the gas tube is visable above the cutout. So a rifle gas system will not work either.

Waylander
09-07-11, 10:02
Probably a dumb question. I only see an anti-rotation tab on one side like the TRX. With the TRX rails their own barrel not wouldn't let the tube rotate. This one however looks to me like the set screws just press against the smooth round part of the stock barrel nut. I could see how that would prevent the tube from coming off in the forward direction because of the lip/teeth of the barrel nut but what's stopping it from rotating from the side with no anti-rotation tab?

justin_247
09-07-11, 10:53
I could see how that would prevent the tube from coming off in the forward direction because of the lip/teeth of the barrel nut but what's stopping it from rotating from the side with no anti-rotation tab?

It does have an anti-rotation tab. No need for another tab since you'd simply be tightening the barrel nut even more if you twisted it that direction.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/2a1ca68a0957fc433070048b3c2bba8c.jpg

Waylander
09-07-11, 10:57
It does have an anti-rotation tab.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/2a1ca68a0957fc433070048b3c2bba8c.jpg

You misunderstood the question.

Probably a dumb question. I only see an anti-rotation tab on one side like the TRX. With the TRX rails their own barrel not wouldn't let the tube rotate. This one however looks to me like the set screws just press against the smooth round part of the stock barrel nut. I could see how that would prevent the tube from coming off in the forward direction because of the lip/teeth of the barrel nut but what's stopping it from rotating from the side with no anti-rotation tab

intermission
09-07-11, 11:13
I think it's meant more as an alignment tab. After I tightened everything down I tried to rotate the tube and I couldn't get it to budge.

Coastiejohn
09-07-11, 12:53
IMO the amount of torque it would take to rotate the rail(if properly installed) would fall under abuse not use of the rifle

ra2bach
09-07-11, 13:06
IMO the amount of torque it would take to rotate the rail(if properly installed) would fall under abuse not use of the rifle

oh that's good. cuz no one abuses their rifle...

;)

Hillbilly
10-17-11, 00:00
does anyone know the weights of the alpha rails, cant seem to find it on troy's site? in particular the 13" without the sight. thanks

Tomahawk_Ghost
10-17-11, 10:35
How do you feel it would hold up long term if used in conjunction with a
Vickers two point sling? My AR serves as a ranch/coyote rifle. It gets carried with me almost every day.

Most of the time I see these being used with a single point sling. That just doesn't work for me.

Coastiejohn
10-17-11, 14:25
I have a mount in slot lo profile QD mount in placed just in front of the receiver and have had no problems. I use a tarinco 2 point (very similar to vickers.) and when tight it puts a little tension on the hand guard when firing, i have noticed no flex or wear issues through about 500 rounds.

CaptainMike
10-21-11, 16:37
So I might have a slight problem. I ordered a BCM 14.5 upper with a pinned comp. I already ground down my FSB and then realized most rails use a different barrel nut and I can't remove the stock barrel nut or gas block. My intent was to get the alpha rail regardless so my question is will I be able to install it with the comp and gas block still on the barrel? I'm hoping i just have to remove(cut off) the delta ring and then install the rail.

saddlerocker
10-21-11, 17:59
Its my understanding that it will slide over the shaved FSB and flash hider/comp.
Most people talk about removing those things because they shave the FSB off of the barrel.

Did you shave your FSB while attached to the barrel and upper?

I ask because im debating the same thing, with this same rail