PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 grip gripe

Roodoodog
08-19-11, 02:15
I've been searching around the net but have yet to find any clear answers to my specific problem.

On my SIG 226R I've noticed when I give the grip a decent (not hulk-like) grasp the rear of the grip has a fair amount of movement. I have the stock two piece panels and where they join along the rear center line has a very obnoxious and noticeable separation. When I first got the gun it was fine. You could grasp the grip as hard as you wanted and no problems. I replaced the trigger recently and when the gun went back together, was the first time I noticed the problem. The screws are in tight and there is no part touching the grips that should cause any issue of separation.

I asked a few dealers in my local area and they said...no that should not be happening.

When I called SIG they said...oh, send it in with $150 and we'll replace it with the new E2 grip. I was unimpressed.

Being a 1st time SIG owner i'm wondering if any other SIG owners have experienced a similar issue, is this a normal wear and tear problem? Any help or info is great appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

B

kmrtnsn
08-19-11, 10:32
The two panels do not have an interlock tab at the back to prevent this. I have seen the same issue on P228's and P229's. There really isn't anything that can be done about it, it is a design flaw. I recommend that you look at either the partial or full Hogue rubber grips.

On a positive note, I no longer am required to carry a SIG and am back to all HK's for duty carry. Woohoooooo!

grimm
08-19-11, 13:07
Since you said you replaced the trigger recently, it is possible that the trigger bar spring was not installed correctly. It will hit the right grip panel and will cause the exact problem that you are experiencing. The spring doesn't go into the "hole" in the trigger bar.

Roodoodog
08-19-11, 13:50
Appreciate the help guys, I did double check the trigger spring, just in case, but yes it was seated correctly. I happened to have the old spring sitting about and I double checked it...although the new spring is slightly longer, the problem still exists with the old one. It is only the right grip panel but the trigger spring is in correctly.

If I cannot live with the movement I will definitely have a look into the Hogue's.

Thanks,

B

SigFanM4
08-19-11, 14:25
I have many Sigs, including the P226. With one exception (an unfired safe queen), I replaced the grips with Hogue finger grooves. In my opinion, this inexpensive modification is the best thing you can do to a Sig.

DBZ220
08-19-11, 20:25
The old school P226 grips normally didn't have this problem. Most of my SIG P226s are from around 1992-1994 and have the old grip style. Solid with no movement. My newer ones all had some movement and creaking noises in the heel. Hogue rubber grips or Hogue aluminum grips solved my issues there. The aluminum grips are very nice, but a bit pricey. For my P220s it took me 4 sets of factory grips and playing mix and match to put a pair together than fit perfectly. Current SIG plastic grips tend to suck.

KhanRad
08-19-11, 20:51
This is a quality control issue. The peak, or golden years of just about all alloy framed pistol manufacturers(including Sig) was in the mid 1990s. After that, market forces changed strongly in favor of polymer framed pistols which could be produced at a fraction of the cost of alloy frames. As a result, those manufacturers like Sig and Beretta that did not change with the times, were forced to try to bring the prices of their pistols down to compete with the polymer framed guns. They cut corners, and cheapened their products. Sig held on and made some advancements which improved the classic line such as the new hammer strut assembly, trigger bar spring, and a few other things, but after 2004 the quality went to hell.

From about 2005-2009, Sig was putting out crap grip panels on the P229 that literally did not line up properly. They shifted in the hand, and a factory worker actually ground down the right panel to make it fit. They changed vendors again the new grip panels seem to line up properly. I have also ordered a few new grip panels for a P226 and P228 and they seem to be okay in fit and finish. I'd see about replacing the panels with new ones of possible.

The best overall Sigs in my opinion are still those from the mid 1990s. The fit and finish was incredible if you ever had the chance to get one new out of the box. Even so, Sigs from the era are the ones that you should look into aquiring. However, there are some newer improvements that I believe are worth updating these old Sigs to. The new hammer strut assembly(not the E2) makes the DA trigger pull more consistant and smooth, and the new coiled trigger bar spring is much stronger than the old style. However, in order to do these updates, you will have to replace the old style grips with new style ones. I make this modification to duty guns in my agency, and it saves the old style grips which cannot be replaced from being damaged on duty.