PDA

View Full Version : Nightforces zero retention

dieselgeek
08-19-11, 07:55
Never wanted to throw my gun on the ground, but I figured the first time it happened I'd check and document it holding zero. I'm very impressed, this will not be my last nightforce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScSPdQejRGw

mkmckinley
08-19-11, 08:33
Thanks for the video. My experiences echo yours with regard to the quality of the Nightforce optics. A group of guys I train with used bunch of Nightforces and Leupolds during a sniper course last spring. The 90 minute a day ride to and from the ranges in the back of an truck were hard on the guns and optics to say the least. There was a mix of vibration and shocks as well as rain, sleet, hail, and bright sunny days (gotta love the Pacific Northwest). That's in addition to the actual shooting and stalks. I considered it a pretty good test of an optics ruggedness. I used a Nightforce and didn't have any POI shift that couldn't be attributed to conditions or different lots of ammo. I didn't use a Leupold personally but I didn't hear many complaints about them either. The Nightforce had brighter glass and more positive clicks. Just goes to show you, buy quality the first time around.

markm
08-19-11, 08:51
That's kids' stuff. The Nightforce video sometimes seen on "Long Range Pursuit" (hunting show) shows how they're made and the abuse they can take.

They whack them on a hard surface and put them back in the fixture to check reticle integrity.

I wish I had the segment to post... but you get a REAL idea of what you get when you pay for good optics.

ALCOAR
08-19-11, 10:48
I wonder if any Seals ever treat their nxs compacts and nxs 3.5's roughly, prob. not but it's a thought... they might get scratched when they perform HALO/HAHO jumps, or fast rope down into the Hindu Kush Mtn. Peaks. I bet the salt H20 contact during operations using the Mk VIII Mod 1 minisub and a DDS is just like dipping them into a lake, however oddly enough NF still performs 10 extra hrs. of salt water immersion tests on them vs. the civilian NF variety.

If I want a tough piece of glass I'm gonna be looking UTG or Leaper's way...no offense to those dainty ass NF's, I just have mall's to protect and need an appropriately rugged optic for the job.

d90king
08-19-11, 11:17
I wonder if any Seals ever treat their nxs compacts and nxs 3.5's roughly, prob. not but it's a thought... they might get scratched when they perform HALO/HAHO jumps, or fast rope down into the Hindu Kush Mtn. Peaks. I bet the salt H20 contact during operations using the Mk VIII Mod 1 minisub and a DDS is just like dipping them into a lake, however oddly enough NF still performs 10 extra hrs. of salt water immersion tests on them vs. the civilian NF variety.

If I want a tough piece of glass I'm gonna be looking UTG or Leaper's way...no offense to those dainty ass NF's, I just have mall's to protect and need an appropriately rugged optic for the job.

My mind is full of ****. What are you saying? Did we start using seals and dolphins in our fight against terrorism?

OP, its good to see that you are getting the standard quality that is expected with NF glass.

dieselgeek
08-19-11, 12:04
That's kids' stuff. The Nightforce video sometimes seen on "Long Range Pursuit" (hunting show) shows how they're made and the abuse they can take.

They whack them on a hard surface and put them back in the fixture to check reticle integrity.

I wish I had the segment to post... but you get a REAL idea of what you get when you pay for good optics.

I don't have cable, but I'd like to see that if you could post it!

markm
08-19-11, 13:16
Man... that show is COOL... Even though is somewhat Fudd oriented. All the principles are tied to long range precision shooting.

These guys teach shooters to make consistent 1000 yard hits. And they regularly feature 750-1000 yard med/big game kills with sloped shots and everything.

markm
08-30-11, 15:19
<snip> Found the one I wanted below.....

markm
08-30-11, 15:26
Here is THE video....

This is why I want a Nightforce Scope, Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoPHjcXMn_w&feature=player_profilepage

dieselgeek
08-31-11, 04:54
Thanks Mark! I saved that one to my favorites!

00bullitt
08-31-11, 20:59
Every single Nightforce scope that leaves the factory will bare a QC inspection sticker that is signed off by scope technician that built it showing that it passed the rigorous QC inspection. Part of the QC inspection is that every scope is impacted 15 times on a steel stand(wrapped with 1/8" no mar plastic and tape to prevent damage to the anodized finish)to simulate 1200 G's of force. That is done to ensure structural integrity within the scope as well as zero point of impact shift. Nightforce scopes are checked to ensure they will track 40moa with zero deviation. They are tested to the tightest specs in the industry. Their performance shows it.

markm
08-31-11, 21:47
They should drop the price since they beat the shit out of the units. :mad: