PDA

View Full Version : People are just rude anymore.

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 19:37
Holy Hell. Im amazed at the blatant rudeness people show others.

Going to get groceries, Im standing next to my cart looking at salad dressings, and this middle aged woman parks her cart right infront of me between me and the dressings. Its obvious Im looking at the dressings. She knows what she is doing because she looks at me after I look at her and she says, "Ill just be a second." Really woman? I just give her a :rolleyes:, pushed her car back out of the way, grabbed my dressing, and moved on. Im usually the grocery getter since I cook most of our food, and EVERY time I go to get stuff crap like this happens. People will park their cart in the middle of an aisle so you can't get by, look at you, and then take a minute to get what they want. Like they are the only ones in the store.

Onto driving, and about half the time at stop signs people will not follow the "rules" of who goes first. They'll do a California stop and then gun it because they didn't get to the stop first but don't want to wait for me to go.

5ft off my back bumper is an acceptable following distance even though Im already going 5 over.

Using a turn signal to change lanes means the person in the lane will speed up and prevent you from changing lanes.

Making a left turn means you get to cut through the opposing directions turn lane as Im pulling up to said turn lane because you're too lazy to go around another opposing lane of traffic.

You're in such a rush making a left turn into the lane Im going in or through means you start your turn as Im passing so you come within 2 ft of hitting me. 1 more second would give you 15-20ft more distance instead of a near collision.

And not really "rude" but why does every MS/HS aged girl dress like a ****ing whore? With their parents right there. I guess Im getting old at 27 or something but WTF is wrong with these people to let a ~13-14 year old wear gobs of make up, shorts that barely cover their ass, and shirts that would fit my 5 year old boys. Yeah I know what the pervs are thinking, and I was that age not "too" long ago...but even at my age and in SoCal girls didn't dress like that. Not saying they need to be wearing ankle length dresses and bonnets but how about at that age something other than whore attire? Mothers living vicariously through their daughters? They don't even look comfortable in that shit and the insecurity is so thick you can smell it. 17-19 is one thing but 12-14 is a whole shit load different.

Last but not least have a good a weekend, and Ill be making some tasty cheeseburgers here in a few.

montanadave
08-19-11, 20:05
And not really "rude" but why does every MS/HS aged girl dress like a ****ing whore? With their parents right there. I guess Im getting old at 27 or something but WTF is wrong with these people to let a ~13-14 year old wear gobs of make up, shorts that barely cover their ass, and shirts that would fit my 5 year old boys. Yeah I know what the pervs are thinking, and I was that age not "too" long ago...but even at my age and in SoCal girls didn't dress like that. Not saying they need to be wearing ankle length dresses and bonnets but how about at that age something other than whore attire? Mothers living vicariously through their daughters? They don't even look comfortable in that shit and the insecurity is so thick you can smell it. 17-19 is one thing but 12-14 is a whole shit load different.

Last but not least have a good a weekend, and Ill be making some tasty cheeseburgers here in a few.

Okay, I'm with you on the grocery store scene. Around here you take your life in your hands on "double coupon" day when the blue-haired set hits the aisles. When did getting old turn into a license to be boorish and rude?

And trying to get through a 4-way stop without being broadsided is virtually impossible. It reminds me of one of those old figure-eight demolition derbies... with two way traffic!

But the comments about the teenage girls made me immediately think of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wf-mRo7C2I

and Brian (of The Family Guy) telling off the cool chick Connie when she starts raggin' on Meg at the high school dance:

"So Connie, I think I have a theory about why you're such a bitch. You see, Connie, you're popular because you developed early and started putting out when you were 12, but now, you can't stand to look at yourself in the mirror because all you see is a whore. So you pick on Meg to avoid the inevitable realization that once your body is used up by age 19, you're gonna be a worn-out, chalky skin, burlap sack that even your stepdad won't want. How's that? Am I in the ball park?"

Enjoy your burgers!

Spurholder
08-19-11, 20:18
Dude, I see it everyday, and you're not alone in your observations of society. I see the same things you do daily. My personal favorites in relation to driving:

- "merge" and "yield" must now mean the same thing.
- school zones are great places to crank up your subwoofer to full. Same with neighborhoods at midnight or later.
- tailgating must be my problem, as I'm the only driver out there that doesn't seem to be doing it

As an aside, I see girls dressed like you're describing with their dads...makes me want to smack 'em in the head...really.

New issue (but hey, I'll concede to the fact that I'm not getting any younger - I'm 45):

Young boys and pierced ears. What? My oldest son's baseball team (comprised of boys ages 6-8) has two boys with pierced ears...both left and right ears. WTF is this? One of the kids has some sort of gemstones with (I shit you not) pink borders.

VooDoo6Actual
08-19-11, 20:40
all by design, unfortunately

randyman_ar
08-19-11, 21:29

Totally agree with everything you said. Especially the last part. I have guardianship of my 6 yr old grand daughter. Couldn't believe the trouble I had finding jeans that were not low riders. Really who in their right mind would market jeans that that are basically hip huggers for 4-6 yr old little girls. Oh don't forget the bikini panties. Really?!!? I think Glen Beck nailed it "prostitots". Sad reflection of our society today.

khc3
08-19-11, 22:06
Men seem to be more aware of getting out of each others way/not invading personal space than women.

Don't know why, but it's been my observation as well.

And don't get me started on the "nice" (mostly female) drivers who eschew the established rules of right of way for hand signals and mind reading.

rojocorsa
08-19-11, 22:07
Not just the girls. What about all those dipshits that wear their pants below their ass? It just looks so bad.

ghostman1960
08-19-11, 22:18
Just like the lady that pulled out onto the road from a parking lot without even looking. She pulled right out in front of me and almost killed us both. I had to slam on my breaks and came within inches of smashing into her. I blew my horn and the bitch gave me the finger. WTF is wrong with people?

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 22:23
Totally agree with everything you said. Especially the last part. I have guardianship of my 6 yr old grand daughter. Couldn't believe the trouble I had finding jeans that were not low riders. Really who in their right mind would market jeans that that are basically hip huggers for 4-6 yr old little girls. Oh don't forget the bikini panties. Really?!!? I think Glen Beck nailed it "prostitots". Sad reflection of our society today.

You know the average age of virginity loss has been going down very fast compared to the last 50 years. I was talking to my sister in law a while ago warning her that guys will say WHATEVER it takes to get in her pants, and especially so if she is a virgin. I told her to date for at least a year if she was not going to wait for marriage, and to not think she is "in love" with some dude in HS. Have fun, go on dates, but don't turn into a whore.

In the midst of this conversation she revealed SEVERAL of her friends had already had sex by the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Im only 27 and it was only a rumor of ONE girl doing it before middle school. This is because PARENTS let these aged girls walk around in the same fashion as Las Vegas whores, and then let them watch TV which is filled with garbage that promotes this shit. Even Disney channel has shit with young teenagers talking about "love" and drama llama type shit. The "kids" channels now is filled with sexual innuendos, love talk, drama, promiscuity, ect, and most parents have no idea because they never sit down and watch a few hours of it.

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 22:28
Just like the lady that pulled out onto the road from a parking lot without even looking. She pulled right out in front of me and almost killed us both. I had to slam on my breaks and came within inches of smashing into her. I blew my horn and the bitch gave me the finger. WTF is wrong with people?

Earlier this week at this same grocery store I was pulling out of my spot, and this cunt pulls into the lane going the wrong way (directional parking). I stop mid way out of my spot, and she throws her hands up like shes pissed off at me. She guns it behind me and goes WOT down the entire parking lane going the wrong way.

I feel like its combat just to go get groceries, and its 5 minutes each way from our house. This in a middle to wealthy class neighborhoods. :rolleyes:

randyman_ar
08-19-11, 22:49
You know the average age of virginity loss has been going down very fast compared to the last 50 years. I was talking to my sister in law a while ago warning her that guys will say WHATEVER it takes to get in her pants, and especially so if she is a virgin. I told her to date for at least a year if she was not going to wait for marriage, and to not think she is "in love" with some dude in HS. Have fun, go on dates, but don't turn into a whore.

In the midst of this conversation she revealed SEVERAL of her friends had already had sex by the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Im only 27 and it was only a rumor of ONE girl doing it before middle school. This is because PARENTS let these aged girls walk around in the same fashion as Las Vegas whores, and then let them watch TV which is filled with garbage that promotes this shit. Even Disney channel has shit with young teenagers talking about "love" and drama llama type shit. The "kids" channels now is filled with sexual innuendos, love talk, drama, promiscuity, ect, and most parents have no idea because they never sit down and watch a few hours of it.

For 27 you are wise and mature beyond your years. I'm 50 and while no "prude" am still shocked at what I see in elementary schools today. My wife who has been an R.N. for 27 yrs. with most spent in E.R.'s says it is becoming more and more common for kids to have pubic hair at 8-9 yrs old. She blames all the steroids in meat and added preservatives in food. I'm thinking she may be right. As far as virginity loss I think its that and the fact we are in a complete meltdown morally and ethically in this country( hell world wide as far as that far as that goes). I remember when Aerosmith's "Pink" was voted best song on "kids choice" awards. Really? I'm pretty sure Tyler wasn't singing about a crayon! Where the hell is the parenting and supervision and yes censorship today?

Thomas M-4
08-19-11, 22:59
I could go on for days about driver's :mad: It never stops I had a woman bump my bumper repeatably on the freeway 5 yrs ago with my 4 month pregnant wife in the truck. She changed her mind quickly after 59-65 interchange when she tried it again in the turn and I hung my S&W M&P out the window. Still to this day I have no Idea why she did that :confused: 9 yrs ago when I used to ride motorcycles I had a teenage girl nearly run me over on a 4 lane road she had the AC wide open [ I could hear the condenser going and the windows were rolled up] and the radio wide open I could hear the radio over four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic and the Air conditioning going to top it all off she was on the damn phone I had to start kicking the passenger side door before she realized she was fixing to run my ass over when she decided to change lanes with out looking.
I have had older women tell me this sort of thing never happened back in the day they would never treat men like shit at least in public. When I go to the grocery store the same thing I can go on but what the hell its the same every were.

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 23:06
Lol. That's why I don't ride a bike anymore. Not that I felt a bike was unsafe unto itself...other people on the road will run your ass over and not even think twice about it. Probably be upset them running over another human being caused them to miss some TLC show.

rojocorsa
08-19-11, 23:10
Oh, I hate how these poor excuses of drives get all defensive when one calls them out on their mistake; I just remembered about a month ago my buddy and I were driving on a one way street and this dipshit tourist was driving in the same lane, except he was going the other direction: Straight at us. We honked, and the asshole raised his hands and had that "what did I do wrong" look on his face. Dumbshit.

militarymoron
08-19-11, 23:18
5ft off my back bumper is an acceptable following distance even though Im already going 5 over.

i'll sometimes turn on the windshield washer and the tailgater gets sprayed with the wiper fluid mist. they usually back off.

Bolt_Overide
08-19-11, 23:19
belmont, I feel you on the bike.

I had to lay down my 35k harley last weekend because some oblivious broad pulled out in front of me. Me and my girl are mostly ok, but my bike is now in the shop for god knows how long....

People ****ing suck for the most part these days.

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 23:29
i'll sometimes turn on the windshield washer and the tailgater gets sprayed with the wiper fluid mist. they usually back off.

Since I drive a manual I just put it in neutral and coast. Usually the first drop in my speed means they get so close I can't even see their hood.

About 2 years ago I had this crazy chick behind my on a 3 lane freeway. I was in the middle lane going about 68 in a 65. Weekend day so traffic was light. She gets behind me so close can't even see her head lights. She could go around me on either side (3 lanes we're in 2 lane). After about 30 seconds of this I pop it out of gear, and just let off the gas. Drop down to 40 and this cunt is so close if Id even tapped on the brakes she would have hit me. Being in a 350Z I pop it back into gear and go WOT back up to about 65-70. What does she do? Guns it and gets right back behind me within low single digit feet. WTF is this? Go back to N and coast back down to about 40. She never switches lanes, and either side was open the entire time. Go back up to ~70 and take an exit. She keeps on going and I get back on the next on ramp.

Shit just boggles my mind. 3 lanes, open on either side, going OVER the limit, and people want to get within a few feet of my ass end. Nothing better to do with their lives? I actually enjoy driving, and love a curvy road. Got a sports car for a reason, and rode a bike for a reason. Loved taking things out on the autobahn, road up a HWY in Germany following the Rhein river with lots of curves, ect. Worked in a racing shop throughout HS to install parts on cars, had shop sponsored cars we worked on, ect. I think if we ever installed "priority roads" here the accident rate would go up 50% within a week. Traffic circles are already too hard to understand.

Belmont31R
08-19-11, 23:36

I had to lay down my 35k harley last weekend because some oblivious broad pulled out in front of me. Me and my girl are mostly ok, but my bike is now in the shop for god knows how long....

Sorry to hear it. My last straw was a woman coming onto the road I was on (3 lanes with 1 exit/entry lane so more like 4 lanes total) come off the on ramp, and jump over every lane into the number one fast lane. Even with jamming the brakes I had to squeeze between this bitches car and the curb. I could have reached out and touched her car. If that lane had been 1ft less wide she'd have smacked right into me and sent me into the curb/ditch at 50MPH.

Not worth the risk with 2 young kids and a wife at home. Still got my leathers, helmet, gloves, boots, and all that hanging up. It was either hang it up or start carrying chunks of ceramic off spark plugs...:mad:

ra2bach
08-19-11, 23:41

what do you mean you "had to lay it down"? did you do something intentionally to put it on it's side?

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 00:06
what do you mean you "had to lay it down"? did you do something intentionally to put it on it's side?

You do that if an accident is unavoidable. Its better to intentionally put the bike down and let you go sliding off than smack into a moving car at a 90 degree angle. Provided you are wearing the proper protective equipment....

Bikes are generally not great stoppers, and its VERY easy to go down anyways by locking the brakes up. Stopping very quickly in a panicked situation is very difficult.

By putting the bike down you'll slow down faster by sliding on the pavement than braking, and thus slamming into the side of the car or going over it and flipping in the air. A controlled slide is the safest method when there is no possibility of accident avoidance.

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 00:20
There was a time this sort of thing didn't happen because there was a real risk that somebody would DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Several generations of stand up people being conditioned that such things are wrong and you might get sued if you decide to not take it have encouraged the worst in people who need to be set straight.

Combine this with parental discipline being seen as potential child abuse and you have an entire generation that has never been corrected and they think it is actually a "right" to do whatever they feel like doing.

Rattlehead
08-20-11, 00:40
Going to get groceries, Im standing next to my cart looking at salad dressings, and this middle aged woman parks her cart right infront of me between me and the dressings. Its obvious Im looking at the dressings. She knows what she is doing because she looks at me after I look at her and she says, "Ill just be a second." Really woman? I just give her a :rolleyes:, pushed her car back out of the way, grabbed my dressing, and moved on. Im usually the grocery getter since I cook most of our food, and EVERY time I go to get stuff crap like this happens. People will park their cart in the middle of an aisle so you can't get by, look at you, and then take a minute to get what they want. Like they are the only ones in the store.

It's even more fun when they just walk in front of you and stand there without saying anything at all.

This reminds me of waiting for someone to move their vehicle at a gas station. It seems that it takes most people the same amount of time to leave the station after they're done pumping as it does to pump their gas.

Have something to get in the stop and rob? Don't worry, you don't have to move your car away from the pump, just take your time..

Thomas M-4
08-20-11, 00:44
I gave up riding after laying my bike down close to 40mph. I had a guy in the left lane that while I was in the right lane he cut directly across the lane to get on a free way entrance ramp no turn signal , no nothing he went completely left to right. I had the choice of biting the bed of the truck or do everything I could do to slowdown as fast as I could. The instant the front wheel locks up its all over with its going to lay down on the pavement. I was lucky I bounced or skidded over a small curb I don't know witch I closed my eyes as soon as I felt the bike was going down. It felt like the Tasmanian devil attacked me with a belt sander with 60 grit sand paper. Luckily I was just eaten up by the asphalt and didn't hit any thing like a pole or a tall curb or a fence. To add insult to injury the guy didn't even stop.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 00:46
One of the things Ive been trying to get my wife to do is 'do more in public'. Im not afraid to spank my kids in stores or like today push the cart out of the way. Im generally very nice to people, and am aware of my surroundings to not get in the way of others.

We actually called CPS, and asked them about spanking. So Im not afraid to spank in public because theres no way I do it hard enough to leave any marks let alone marks that last 24hrs. Its more of a psychological thing with them where a hard tap gets the point across. Really wouldnt even consider it spanking especially through 2 layers of clothes one of them being jeans. Occasionally we get a :eek: look but whatever. Its not like we are doing it 10X a day for stupid shit. Just when verbal warnings dont work and they need to get snapped out of a wild zone.

I refuse to raise kids who are rude and inconsiderate. I don't care what kind of looks it gets us. My dad was raised where kids don't speak unless spoken to, and NEVER interrupt two adults talking. They are good values that have been lost, and its not just young kids causing problems. Plenty of middle aged women and old folks who walk around like they own the place and they are the only ones there. My wife, who does home health nursing, got hit in the face today by an old dude. Not enough to leave a mark but I can't stand it. I told her to tell her boss she won't be going back there. She was already supposed to have been done with that job my now but they like her so much they want her to work part time around her school schedule.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 00:54
I gave up riding after laying my bike down close to 40mph. I had a guy in the left lane that while I was in the right lane he cut directly across the lane to get on a free way entrance ramp no turn signal , no nothing he went completely left to right. I had the choice of biting the bed of the truck or do everything I could do to slowdown as fast as I could. The instant the front wheel locks up its all over with its going to lay down on the pavement. I was lucky I bounced or skidded over a small curb I don't know witch I closed my eyes as soon as I felt the bike was going down. It felt like the Tasmanian devil attacked me with a belt sander with 60 grit sand paper. Luckily I was just eaten up by the asphalt and didn't hit any thing like a pole or a tall curb or a fence. To add insult to injury the guy didn't even stop.

Too many stories like this, and my own experiences...don't ride anymore especially in the states. In Germany it was ok because they are used to tons of scooters and bikes. Here? They'll run people off the road, go home, and make a bag of pop corn in the microwave.

Here is my bike in Germany:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/Picture20133-1.jpg

Rattlehead
08-20-11, 00:56
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/Picture20133-1.jpg

Damn man, death on wheels.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 01:09
Ha. It was fun and a great bike.

Honu
08-20-11, 01:13
heheheheh OH great post was just having issues today shopping

from the idiot who decided to stop in the road !!!! then try to change lanes from a stop on a busy 3 lane road !

in the store so many rude people these days its insane

about the worst at costco my little girl like to ride in the cart
some fat jerk decided to push by me and smashed my girls hands ! so I yell HEY idiot watch it he doest not even bother looking back she starts balling cause her hand was smashed between the carts ! and I was out of the way ! he was trying to pass between me and the lady coming up the other way ! so I tell my kid hang on and ram the back of his feet as hard as I could ! he drops to the ground then I rushed up start screaming if he ever touches my child or any other child that would be the last time and told him to apologize right now ! I think I shocked a few people around me :) but they most all said I can't believe how hard he hit your cart is your girl OK !!!!! and a few smiled and said good for you ! he was a jerk !

if my cart etc.. is in the way I say sorry and smile ? most are cool and say no problem but I tell ya more jerks these days like trying to park and someone rushes into the spot when you have your blinker on !

when we got rear ended the guys excuse his cell phone dropped on the passenger floor and he was trying to pick it up !!!!

seems like their are so many close calls here its flat out insane to drive

and like you say turn signals means cut you off
safe driving space means cut in front so I have no safe distance any more !

to the dicks who run through the cross walk when you are in them !
since I usually have my kids with me I can't shove my cart out in front of them !

or when someone sees you backing out and speed up so they don't have to wait for you to pull out of your parking spot ?

Thomas M-4
08-20-11, 01:13
Yea you had the fast MF .
Luckily I just managed to stay away from the fast ones. A Night Hawk was me , hell I had to tuck under as much as possible and jump up and down on it just to get it to 100mph:o
Rode a couple different 600cc came damn close to getting a R1 but the little voice in my head won out.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 01:22
Yea you had the fast MF .
Luckily I just managed to stay away from the fast ones. A Night Hawk was me , hell I had to tuck under as much as possible and jump up and down on it just to get it to 100mph:o
Rode a couple different 600cc came damn close to getting a R1 but the little voice in my head won out.

It was just a 600. But Im LUSTING after a new 750. :D

BrianS
08-20-11, 02:01
about the worst at costco my little girl like to ride in the cart
some fat jerk decided to push by me and smashed my girls hands ! so I yell HEY idiot watch it he doest not even bother looking back she starts balling cause her hand was smashed between the carts ! and I was out of the way ! he was trying to pass between me and the lady coming up the other way ! so I tell my kid hang on and ram the back of his feet as hard as I could ! he drops to the ground then I rushed up start screaming if he ever touches my child or any other child that would be the last time and told him to apologize right now ! I think I shocked a few people around me :)

LOL I'm surprised you didn't get arrested. I have been seeing more and more "cart rage" incidents in Costco. People flying around with their carts almost running people over. The other day I held up my hand and yelled at somebody to stop as they barreled towards me, causing the entire store to stop and look. The person came to a screeching halt just short of me needing to stop their cart.

Have also seen many people in their 70s and 80s going full retard with those powered motor scooter chair thingies paid for in full by their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Ironically it appears that by the time you need those for shopping you no longer have the sense to maintain a reasonable speed, nor the reflexes to avoid endangering other shoppers in them.

Holidays at Costco may be avoided in the future... The 4th this year was an absolute zoo when I went in to grab some last minute items for a BBQ.

Moose-Knuckle
08-20-11, 02:21
It appears many of us share a similar observation of our society. It is escalating. Common courtesy is some distant antiquated notion from a bygone era for most. You can learn a lot about people just by observing their driving habits. I tell my better half all the time that if people conduct themselves in such a manner now how much worse would they be in a SHTF scenario? It’s as if one’s automobile is their personal space craft and everything outside of it is THERE universe, they think nothing of their fellow man as the world revolves around them alone.

IMHO this is a clue as to where we are heading. . .

Honu
08-20-11, 04:09
LOL I'm surprised you didn't get arrested. I have been seeing more and more "cart rage" incidents in Costco. People flying around with their carts almost running people over. The other day I held up my hand and yelled at somebody to stop as they barreled towards me, causing the entire store to stop and look. The person came to a screeching halt just short of me needing to stop their cart.

Have also seen many people in their 70s and 80s going full retard with those powered motor scooter chair thingies paid for in full by their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Ironically it appears that by the time you need those for shopping you no longer have the sense to maintain a reasonable speed, nor the reflexes to avoid endangering other shoppers in them.

Holidays at Costco may be avoided in the future... The 4th this year was an absolute zoo when I went in to grab some last minute items for a BBQ.

can see why but :) doubt that would have happened if it did my poor girls smashed red hand and the witness that saw him hit my girl first ?
I somehow think I would have been OK :) if the guy stopped and said OH MAN so sorry it would be OK but the flip attitude ?

usually if someone is rude with their cart I might say rather loudly !!!
EXCUSE YOU ! and watch yourself

I am a very mellow guy but smashing a childs hand in the cart and yes he noticed but did not care ? is crossing the line IMHO
and the only reason I did what I did

I did have someone who tried to take my cart :) had a few things in it and was a few feet away looking at something they came up started taking my stuff out ? I said HEY thats my stuff they looked and said well I need a cart ! heheheeh sorry go to the front get one !
they still tried to take my stuff out ? forgot the exacts but put my stuff back in and just said back off or something ?
crazy ?

nimdabew
08-20-11, 10:04
I don't know if this is normal or not, but guys, specifically young guys, are real pigs. I went running with a very attractive girl (no connection to me wanting to get with her lol) yesterday, and in less than 5 miles, three groups of guys made cat calls, honked their horns, or screamed something out of their cars to get her attention. What the **** is wrong with people? I am 25 and I would never think of doing that kind of stuff to people unless I knew them personally. I think women put up with a lot of shit today that men are either oblivious to, or ignore because it never happens to them.

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 11:00
One of the things Ive been trying to get my wife to do is 'do more in public'. Im not afraid to spank my kids in stores or like today push the cart out of the way. Im generally very nice to people, and am aware of my surroundings to not get in the way of others.

I'm trying to be more like this. When people put shit in my way I simply move it back out of my way without anger or apology. I try not to start a conflict but at the same time not permit them to do inconsiderate shit to me.

My wife hates when I do that sort of thing though, she see's it as "me" starting a problem.

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 11:10
It appears many of us share a similar observation of our society. It is escalating. Common courtesy is some distant antiquated notion from a bygone era for most. You can learn a lot about people just by observing their driving habits. I tell my better half all the time that if people conduct themselves in such a manner now how much worse would they be in a SHTF scenario? It’s as if one’s automobile is their personal space craft and everything outside of it is THERE universe, they think nothing of their fellow man as the world revolves around them alone.

IMHO this is a clue as to where we are heading. . .

That works both ways. If things ever did go south, the list of people I would feel obligated to help if I could gets shorter and shorter every day.

I remember after the last severe hurricane season when we were like Day 5 without electricity I was grilling hot dogs with a few of the neighbors and we had kids from about a dozen other houses show up thinking it was some kind of free food handout. Most of them were from houses that had no more than 3 days worth of food.

I was just waiting for one of their parents to come begging.

montanadave
08-20-11, 11:13
I'm trying to be more like this. When people put shit in my way I simply move it back out of my way without anger or apology. I try not to start a conflict but at the same time not permit them to do inconsiderate shit to me.

My wife hates when I do that sort of thing though, she see's it as "me" starting a problem.

Try having a wife that gets out of the car at the light, picks up the cigarette butt somebody just tossed, and hands it back to the guy saying, "Hey, I think you just dropped something."

She's gonna get me killed one of these days. :rolleyes:

I agree with those who confront boorish behavior with a polite yet firm demeanor.

I also think it's helpful to model good behavior. I try to be respectful to the people I interact with, make eye contact, and say "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" when appropriate. I hold the door for folks and offer to give 'em a hand if it looks like they need one.

Admittedly, there are a lot of just plain rude and inconsiderate people out there, but I also think there are quite a few folks who just don't know any better and are so totally self-absorbed and/or distracted they are oblivious to their surroundings. Speaking directly to them and having some form of interpersonal contact is a way to snap them out of their daze and remind them there are other human beings sharing the same space.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 11:25
I don't know if this is normal or not, but guys, specifically young guys, are real pigs. I went running with a very attractive girl (no connection to me wanting to get with her lol) yesterday, and in less than 5 miles, three groups of guys made cat calls, honked their horns, or screamed something out of their cars to get her attention. What the **** is wrong with people? I am 25 and I would never think of doing that kind of stuff to people unless I knew them personally. I think women put up with a lot of shit today that men are either oblivious to, or ignore because it never happens to them.

My wife can't go running because of that. Dudes will do a U turn, drive back the other way, do another U turn, and then drive like 5MPH beside her. So she doesn't run anymore because a couple of them have said some pretty nasty stuff to her.

The worst are Mexicans in work crews when they stop at gas stations in the morning for snacks and gas before starting the day.

Just last week she was at a patients house (she is in home health nursing), and a guy from a different company came by to deliver the patients new oxygen tank. I guess after my wife left this guy was asking the patient about her and all kinds of personal questions. He tried to leave his number with the patient to give to my wife even after he was told she is happily married, and that he was acting very unprofessional. After he left the patient called his company and told them to never send that dude back to his house, and explained why. They weren't too happy.

GermanSynergy
08-20-11, 11:34
I'm not being facetious when I ask this, but when was it any different? 10 years ago? 20? 40?

People in 1921 Los Angeles or 1938 NYC were probably saying the same things.

I'm not doubting that there are alot of self centered mouth breathers out there. I see em every day driving in Northern Virginia. :help:

nimdabew
08-20-11, 11:36
My wife can't go running because of that. Dudes will do a U turn, drive back the other way, do another U turn, and then drive like 5MPH beside her. So she doesn't run anymore because a couple of them have said some pretty nasty stuff to her.

The worst are Mexicans in work crews when they stop at gas stations in the morning for snacks and gas before starting the day.

Creepers come to mind when I read the U turn thing. It almost makes me a proponent of open carrying while running now because it would probably cut down on a lot of the shit that even I get while running. Nothing says "get the **** away from me" like a guy running 5 miles a day and carrying a pistol. Can't imagine what it would be like for a girl to do the same thing. Maybe jack asses will shape up and give a little respect.

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 18:36
I'm not being facetious when I ask this, but when was it any different? 10 years ago? 20? 40?

People in 1921 Los Angeles or 1938 NYC were probably saying the same things.

I'm not doubting that there are alot of self centered mouth breathers out there. I see em every day driving in Northern Virginia. :help:

In every time period there were people like that. The difference was concentration in a given population and how much it was tolerated.

When I was growing up I never saw kids attempt the shit I see daily today from kids.

usmcvet
08-20-11, 20:12

You beat me to it. I have a nine year old son, and 6 & 3 year old daughters. I bought pants for them and was disgusted when they put them on. They can't bend over w/o showing their butts. Now I am careful to look at the design as we'll as the size & color.

JSantoro
08-20-11, 20:28

Related: I had a chick pal that, if she was driving, drove like cars only had a selection of ON or OFF for speeds. If she was a passenger, she thought it completely appropriate to reach across and honk the horn to express her displeasure at something some other driver did.

I learned this one day, immediately after a couple of Thug-Life Afficionados cut me off from a parking space. I was content to just say "Awww, son of a BITCH!" and just find another spot (walking doesn't bother me, but then I don't wear 4" heels...as far as you know)...

....but SHE thought otherwise. Leaned on my horn and started squalling like a fishwife at them out her window.

Uh-huh. Nothing came of it, but during the subsequent discussion about how I'm fully capable of starting my own fights, the response was "What's the big deal? You've got a gun." Wow...

Hence the use of the past-tense in my first sentence; she refused to grok that my EDC wasn't license for her to start shit. I'm not willing to say/do stuff I'm not willing to back with my fists IF it comes to that, but I don't need anybody arbitrarily choosing my conflicts for me without the benefit of legitimate organizational authority.

usmcvet
08-20-11, 20:38
My 8 year old went fishing with two friends and their parents. He had a blast but told me later they swore alot. Then he said even the kids were swearing at their parents. He told me they needed a spanking. He was right.

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 22:47
In every time period there were people like that. The difference was concentration in a given population and how much it was tolerated.

When I was growing up I never saw kids attempt the shit I see daily today from kids.

Since Ive had kids Ive talked to my dad a lot about his child hood, and its a pretty stark contrast to what kids are raised today.

He was brought up being the middle of 3 brothers about 2 years apart each.

When they were at a table with adults they didn't speak unless spoken to. When they were done they go to go wonder about the town and roads even before any of them were 10 years old. If you do the math thats 9-7-5 at the oldest. When they went on road trips the back seat was laid down, and no seat belts.

But now its huge car seats that have to face the right way, if you spank a kid for interupting an adult its abuse, if your kid gets out of the house its negligence, spanking a kid who talks back is abuse, and you have teachers, doctors, nurses, and other people who are all MANDATORY reporters who can get in legal trouble if they don't call CPS because your kid got an owie. Ive had CPS out to my house THREE times so far....:rolleyes: I can only imagine under the current rules how many times they would have come out for me. I escaped from my parents so many times I cant even count them. I have 3 scars on my head to this day from rough housing as a kid including a good 1 1/2" scar on my chin from crashing my bike at age 6. I had the cops called on me for shooting on our 3 acres. I got put up for expulsion in high school for having shotgun shells and shooting equipment in my truck on school property.

If both my twins combined are only HALF as "interesting" as I was Id be happy yet now everything is a CPS visit because of mandatory reporting. :rolleyes:

usmcvet
08-20-11, 22:51
We ought to start spanking parents!

SteyrAUG
08-20-11, 23:43
But now its huge car seats that have to face the right way, if you spank a kid for interupting an adult its abuse, if your kid gets out of the house its negligence, spanking a kid who talks back is abuse, and you have teachers, doctors, nurses, and other people who are all MANDATORY reporters who can get in legal trouble if they don't call CPS because your kid got an owie. Ive had CPS out to my house THREE times so far....:rolleyes: I can only imagine under the current rules how many times they would have come out for me. I escaped from my parents so many times I cant even count them. I have 3 scars on my head to this day from rough housing as a kid including a good 1 1/2" scar on my chin from crashing my bike at age 6. I had the cops called on me for shooting on our 3 acres. I got put up for expulsion in high school for having shotgun shells and shooting equipment in my truck on school property.

I'm so glad I grew up when I did.

When I was 13 I would sometimes have the house to myself for the weekend. I had groceries, plenty of places that deliver food and emergency money.

If anything happened we had this quaint thing called reliable neighbors who knew I was staying alone by myself. And I was quite capable of looking after myself with no problems.

I shudder to think of the consequences of leaving a 13 year old unsupervised today. And as a result they are NOT able to take care of themselves because there is no expectation to do so.

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-11, 00:29

I'm of the opinion that 99% of males, no matter what the age or race are sexual deviants. As a heterosexual male I know what it is like to find a woman both physically and sexually attractive. Never would I stare uncomfortably or say demeaning and perverse things to a lady that I was not intimately involved with. Observing "men" today in the public setting I am convinced that if "law and order" was suspended for any length of time rape would be prevalent. My fiancé will flat out call guys out who stare at her as it enrages her. I’m thankful that she EDC but I caution her to not provoke the oxygen thieves as they have nothing better to do than cause trouble. My influence has heighted her situational awareness. I really do have a fear for women and children these days, I realize that since Cain murdered Able men have treated each other with brutal savagery but it is my observation that in OUR society it is increasing as attacks are happening with greater frequency combined with the boldness of the perpetrators. I attribute this with the fact that as a nation we no longer PUNISH criminals.

That works both ways. If things ever did go south, the list of people I would feel obligated to help if I could gets shorter and shorter every day.

I remember after the last severe hurricane season when we were like Day 5 without electricity I was grilling hot dogs with a few of the neighbors and we had kids from about a dozen other houses show up thinking it was some kind of free food handout. Most of them were from houses that had no more than 3 days worth of food.

I was just waiting for one of their parents to come begging.

Absolutely. In a collapse of society (whatever form it may take) I would morph into what I like to call an amoral survivalist.

My previous comment about people thinking of their fellow man was in the context of how intolerable their rudeness is while shopping at the market or while driving in traffic, et al. The old adage, “an armed society is a polite society” comes to mind. The offenses that are perpetuated on a daily basis would be met with violence in a crises or post crises. The ass clowns get off easy with a honk or the presentation of one’s third digit as no one really wants to throw their life away by bankruptcy via defense attorney fees and or spend the rest of their life on the inside.

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-11, 00:46
Anyone shop at Wal-Mart (please don't derail the thread into an anti Wally world one)?

I could write a thesis on my observations of "people" at Wal-Mart over the years

Just today we were shopping for non-food items (we buy those from a natural grocers) and as we were walking down the main isle by the electronic department. There was a man standing, a little girl sitting on a bouncy ball, and an older male child sitting parked in the I'M TOO DAMN FAT AND LAZY TO WALK courtesy scooter. They were all three zoned out paying no attention to the fact that they were blocking the whole damn isle watching whatever Blu-ray was playing on the display TVs. I pushed my basket right up to them and said in a very stern voice EXCUSE ME and pushed my way past the adult male. My fiancé told me later that after I walked past the ass clown he gave me the stink eye lol. Once again, I'm the asshole because I dared entered into their private air space. The world obviously revolves around that douche and his offspring. My mother would have knocked me upside the head if I had ever A.) rode in a scooter marked CHILDREN NOT ALLOWED B.) parked it in the way of other people blocking an isle C.) never acknowledged the other people and apologized to them.

nimdabew
08-21-11, 00:53
I'm of the opinion that 99% of males, no matter what the age or race are sexual deviants. As a heterosexual male I know what it is like to find a woman both physically and sexually attractive. Never would I stare uncomfortably or say demeaning and perverse things to a lady that I was not intimately involved with. Observing "men" today in the public setting I am convinced that if "law and order" was suspended for any length of time rape would be prevalent. My fiancé will flat out call guys out who stare at her as it enrages her. I’m thankful that she EDC but I caution her to not provoke the oxygen thieves as they have nothing better to do than cause trouble. My influence has heighted her situational awareness. I really do have a fear for women and children these days, I realize that since Cain murdered Able men have treated each other with brutal savagery but it is my observation that in OUR society it is increasing as attacks are happening with greater frequency combined with the boldness of the perpetrators. I attribute this with the fact that as a nation we no longer PUNISH criminals.

I feel the same way. I hate how "men" treat women now a days and wish that it wasn't a crime to have women kick guys in the balls when they are making a fool of themselves. I still pride myself on believing in chivalry and doing what is right for everyone in the world. I think it has been lost as of late considering the media's influence on how children are brought up these days. I will tear into my nephews and nieces if I thought they were being dumb, and would do the same for my kids if I ever end up having them.

Honu
08-21-11, 01:48
Try having a wife that gets out of the car at the light, picks up the cigarette butt somebody just tossed, and hands it back to the guy saying, "Hey, I think you just dropped something."

tell your wife their is a guy on this forum who goes one better :)

I used to do this on Maui not here ! also cause of the fire situation and keeping the island pretty

I would pick it up flick it into the back seat !

here I might get shot :)

variablebinary
08-21-11, 04:39
People no longer feel accountable for their actions, or have any concept of consequences.

In addition, close knit communities breeds civility. A man, or woe onto man (woman) that is polite to their neighbor, their local store owner, fireman, teachers, and policeman, will be inclined to be polite to strangers.

These days, people tend to not know, or care to know their neighbors, their local business owner or their local civil servant. If you live only in the world of you, where you are lord and master 24/7, with no regard for others, why would you make the effort to be polite to a stranger.

Personally, I tend to follow a simple mantra that gets me through my day

1. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
2. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
3. For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.

Hootiewho
08-21-11, 07:53
Re: cat calling/overt come on's to women. I am in my early-mid 30's. I only recently so to speak became married. So I had from 18-32 as a single man. I have observed some things in that time. First off, I have always been respectful of women, I was raised that way, this is sn observation of other guys, not a reflection of myself.

In my experience, it's always that guy who is over the top with come on's to women that takes one home. Especially a woman over 35. I work with a guy, mid 50's who freaking acts like an 18 year old all the time. Staring down woman, makes cat calls, & other things. You guys would be shocked at how many women initiate conversation with him after his testostorone side show. I know guys can be creeps,
But I'm saying from watch him and a few others I know lots of women love to be made the center of attention. I am just not that way, so I guess I'll never understand it.

Women can be the exact same way, (and I am in no way trying to state anything racist) but in my experience black women, and white women over 35. I literally thought I was going to be savagely raped in an elevator once by 4 black gals who were 200+ lbs each. Talk about role reversal! You take any 3-4 divorced 35+ year old women and give the a little alcohol, and a young man can find himself in a unique position. My point is, just cause something seems so doesn't mean it is & women can be just as bad as men with some of the stuff previously mentioned. Hell, if it seems that there are way more creepo's staring, cat calling... Now days, think about this; women have typically women have never dressed with so little clothing, that's sole design is to flaunt their sexuality to the world. I'm not giving the ok to creepy behavior what so ever, but it's like my Grandmother said, "95% of the time, if a woman stays in her place a man will stay in his." it's just the world we live in. If you walk down the road with an AK, guess what, you're going to get some attention, same goes if a woman jogs down the road in clothing that leaves nothing for the imagination; please don't be surprised if you get attention. People are people, always have been, the only thing that has changed is society as a whole is a little more open about their ugly side these days. There is nothing new under the sun my friends.

Hootiewho
08-21-11, 08:01
Oh and before it gets said, Belmont & others I'm not saying your girls at fault when jogging. I have the upmost respect for you guys, & would not make acqusations like that. I only made that statement due to what the perv I work with commonly says when I shake my head at his behavior, "well if whe wouldn't dress like that I wouldn't say anything, but look at her I can see XYZ body part through her shorts, she wants me to look, she's showing it off." i do have to say rarely do I see him cat call a girl in loose shorts & a non-skin tight Tshirt.

montanadave
08-21-11, 08:43
People no longer feel accountable for their actions, or have any concept of consequences.

In addition, close knit communities breeds civility. A man, or woe onto man (woman) that is polite to their neighbor, their local store owner, fireman, teachers, and policeman, will be inclined to be polite to strangers.

These days, people tend to not know, or care to know their neighbors, their local business owner or their local civil servant. If you live only in the world of you, where you are lord and master 24/7, with no regard for others, why would you make the effort to be polite to a stranger.

Very well said. I was thinking almost the same thing yesterday afternoon when I was reading this thread.

I live in the same town I grew up in. I've been in my current home for fifteen years and I've lived within the same half-mile radius since 1959 (with the exception of those times I lived out-of-town). My parents live a couple of blocks away. I know my neighbors. I know their kids. I went to high school with the guy next door, went to school with my other next door neighbor's kids, and the guy across the street was one of my college professors over thirty years ago. We've got a neighborhood market owned by a fellow whose wife I used to work with. I know my mail carrier and always give him a gift card at Christmas to the bakery/deli around the corner. There is a sense of community and I feel sorry for those that do not have that comfort.

As noted above, the lack of civility stems from a lack of intimacy and connection. In an expanding population, why bother to worry about the impression you make on someone you're never going to see again, right? Couple that with the behavior engendered by the anonymity of the internet. People, especially kids, are so used to saying whatever pops into their head without fear of consequences in the virtual environment they often fail to recalibrate their behavior when interacting face-to-face.

There are plenty of jerks around my home town. There are even a couple of folks in the neighborhood I could do without. But, on the whole, I'm very grateful to live where I do.

Now I have to go take the dogs for a dip before it gets too hot and come home to watch our home town team take on some ragin' Cajuns in the Little League World Series. :smile:

ETA: Now I know why they call those kids from Louisiana the "Cardiac Cajuns" but our team hung on for a 3-1 win and a spot in the semi-finals! :happy:

Dunderway
08-21-11, 12:42
In the midst of this conversation she revealed SEVERAL of her friends had already had sex by the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

That is disturbing. What is disgusting is that I can almost guarantee it was with dirt bags much older than them. I knew a 15 year old that was impregnated by a 23 year old. I would have been embarassed to date a 15 year old when I was 17. If I had a 15 yo that was getting hit on by a grown man, my reaction would most likely land me in jail.

Good on you for having a serious talk with your SIL.

SteyrAUG
08-21-11, 12:47
Absolutely. In a collapse of society (whatever form it may take) I would morph into what I like to call an amoral survivalist.

I would hope to retain some of my humanity and help decent people when and if I can. But the group of what I call "decent people" gets smaller every day.

Honu
08-21-11, 14:28
Re: cat calling/overt come on's to women. I am in my early-mid 30's. I only recently so to speak became married. So I had from 18-32 as a single man. I have observed some things in that time. First off, I have always been respectful of women, I was raised that way, this is sn observation of other guys, not a reflection of myself.

In my experience, it's always that guy who is over the top with come on's to women that takes one home. Especially a woman over 35. I work with a guy, mid 50's who freaking acts like an 18 year old all the time. Staring down woman, makes cat calls, & other things. You guys would be shocked at how many women initiate conversation with him after his testostorone side show. I know guys can be creeps,
But I'm saying from watch him and a few others I know lots of women love to be made the center of attention. I am just not that way, so I guess I'll never understand it.

Women can be the exact same way, (and I am in no way trying to state anything racist) but in my experience black women, and white women over 35. I literally thought I was going to be savagely raped in an elevator once by 4 black gals who were 200+ lbs each. Talk about role reversal! You take any 3-4 divorced 35+ year old women and give the a little alcohol, and a young man can find himself in a unique position. My point is, just cause something seems so doesn't mean it is & women can be just as bad as men with some of the stuff previously mentioned. Hell, if it seems that there are way more creepo's staring, cat calling... Now days, think about this; women have typically women have never dressed with so little clothing, that's sole design is to flaunt their sexuality to the world. I'm not giving the ok to creepy behavior what so ever, but it's like my Grandmother said, "95% of the time, if a woman stays in her place a man will stay in his." it's just the world we live in. If you walk down the road with an AK, guess what, you're going to get some attention, same goes if a woman jogs down the road in clothing that leaves nothing for the imagination; please don't be surprised if you get attention. People are people, always have been, the only thing that has changed is society as a whole is a little more open about their ugly side these days. There is nothing new under the sun my friends.

or at least the slutty ones do this ? be the aggressor or like the aggression

and many who think its a major turn off and disgusting and would no way have anything to do with guys like that :) and like the more silent type with some mystery to them and who are not all GO GO GO on them ?

I would say its in the background and their education etc...

khc3
08-21-11, 14:58

Nicely said.

I need to routinely remind myself of these truths.

Hootiewho
08-22-11, 05:24
or at least the slutty ones do this ? be the aggressor or like the aggression

and many who think its a major turn off and disgusting and would no way have anything to do with guys like that :) and like the more silent type with some mystery to them and who are not all GO GO GO on them ?

I would say its in the background and their education etc...

It baffles my mind & I've pretty much as a whole given up trying to figure out what makes people tick. I just know the majority our there don't make any sense to me.

Honu
08-22-11, 07:12
It baffles my mind & I've pretty much as a whole given up trying to figure out what makes people tick. I just know the majority our there don't make any sense to me.

yup I do hope though and think more people are good its just the bad ones stand out !

think of it as a zit on a face of a teen ? its the biggest thing the teen sees ! and does not see the rest of the skin thats OK ?
bad analogy :) but I think it kinda makes the point

some idiot today pulled out in my incoming lane ! and then stopped !!!!!
I was going north bound he wanted to go south bound so he just pulled in my lane and started driving down the road rather than in the middle turn lane !
had to swerve severely in the other lane ? even my little girl said wow that was almost a accident !
frigin morons

I want to get something like a bradley and drive around !!!
then got to home depot and some lady was so busy on her cell phone she was not paying attention swerved over all the parking spaces ??? as she was going up the lane ??

tell ya sadly its the idiots that stand out big time

Watrdawg
08-22-11, 08:40

I drive a diesel truck and I'll step on the pedal to creat a bit of thick black smoke coming out of the exhaust. They usually back off too. A couple of years ago I was stopped at a stop light and this car load of ethnic youths were in the lane next to me and a car behind me with their windows wide open and the bass up loud. My windows were vibrating and of course all you could hear was the boom, boom, boom going on. When the light turned green I slowly moved forward so the car ahead of me could get far enough ahead that I would run into the back of it. When I had enough room I stepped on the gas and filled the kids car with a ton of black smoke. They had their heads all hanging out of the windows trying to get clean air. The looks on their faces were priceless:D

JSantoro
08-22-11, 09:53
If only I could invent a directional EMP generator that's the size of a stun-gun...

Car drives slowly through my neighborhood sounding like there ought to be bolts shaking loose? ZAP!

Blissful quiet once again descends on my personal Elysium, the tow guys make money off of cars with completely fried electronics, the youths receive a mobility and monetery penalty for their selfish infliction of themselves upon others...

Everybody wins.

Doc Safari
08-22-11, 10:03

I accelerate slightly and then touch the brake with my left foot just enough to make the brake lights come on. Seeing the tailgater slam on his brakes is a hoot. One guy's hairpiece flew off onto his dashboard and I just about drove off the road laughing.

uwe1
08-22-11, 13:09

Hah! I do it too. It works like a charm.

uwe1
08-22-11, 13:33
During the average day of seeing patients, I put up with so much shit and rudeness that I don't even know what to do or say anymore.

I have had days where 20-25% of the scheduled people don't show up and don't call. Or people who call, 5 minutes into their appointment time to let us know they can't make it, 5 minutes after we turned someone away as a walk-in. That's like taking a 20% pay cut because people don't have enough respect to show up. Now I know why doctors overbook....I still don't.

I have had people show up 20 minutes late to their appointment, don't apologize, and act indignant (sometimes they have a ****ing fit) that we have to take someone else in front of them, who made it to their appointment on time. Not to mention that in order to take these late people, it puts my whole schedule behind, and causes me to spend less time with everyone else downstream on the schedule in order to catch up. Ever miss lunch because someone didn't bother to show up to their appointment on time? If so, you know what I mean.

There are people who get upset, because they want you to attend to their problem NOW, and they don't have appointment, even though I have three other people who actually have appointments already waiting. The common question is, "Couldn't you just take a look or do this for me in between patients?" Errr, No...get back in line or make an appointment....or better yet, ask that guy if you can take his place in line.

Dunderway
08-22-11, 14:31
Probably the NUMBER ONE theft of quality of life for the average American these days. Who in their right mind thinks this sort of thing is acceptable, especially at 2 am.

The only good thing about my days of living in a condo was every once in awhile we'd get one of these shitheads in the parking lot and from my balcony with the lights out I could ping their rattling piece of shit as much as a dozen times with a pellet gun before anyone even noticed.

So then the regular culprits took to parking across the street (as if moving 15 yards suddenly stopped shaking everyone's windows) and I just adjusted for 15 more yards. After a couple weeks they found someplace else to make noise.

That is so awesome. I've thought about it many times, but it would probably land me in jail in CA.:(

Hootiewho
08-22-11, 15:42
If only I could invent a directional EMP generator that's the size of a stun-gun...

Car drives slowly through my neighborhood sounding like there ought to be bolts shaking loose? ZAP!

Blissful quiet once again descends on my personal Elysium, the tow guys make money off of cars with completely fried electronics, the youths receive a mobility and monetery penalty for their selfish infliction of themselves upon others...

Everybody wins.

Take my name down and the day you get it operational CALL ME, I will buy your first one for sale.

SteyrAUG
08-22-11, 15:45

Everybody wins.

Probably the NUMBER ONE theft of quality of life for the average American these days. Who in their right mind thinks this sort of thing is acceptable, especially at 2 am.

The only good thing about my days of living in a condo was every once in awhile we'd get one of these shitheads in the parking lot and from my balcony with the lights out I could ping their rattling piece of shit as much as a dozen times with a pellet gun before anyone even noticed.

So then the regular culprits took to parking across the street (as if moving 15 yards suddenly stopped shaking everyone's windows) and I just adjusted for 15 more yards. After a couple weeks they found someplace else to make noise.

BrianS
08-22-11, 15:46
can see why but :) doubt that would have happened if it did my poor girls smashed red hand and the witness that saw him hit my girl first ?
I somehow think I would have been OK :) if the guy stopped and said OH MAN so sorry it would be OK but the flip attitude ?

Oh, I don't mean I think you should have been arrested. But I could easily see it happening if you rammed a guy with your cart possibly injuring his ankles badly, LOL. Especially since he is just going to say it was an accident.

I wish we lived in a society where simple bad behavior could be punished by the recipient, but we don't. In my grandpa's day if you said or did certain things to another man or a person in his company you might get a crack on the jaw, now unless that behavior consitituted assault you are probably the one that's going to get in trouble for decking some jerk.

Take my name down and the day you get it operational CALL ME, I will buy your first one for sale.

Would get banned as a WMD as soon as Congress got wind unfortunately.

Honu
08-22-11, 17:48
Oh, I don't mean I think you should have been arrested. But I could easily see it happening if you rammed a guy with your cart possibly injuring his ankles badly, LOL. Especially since he is just going to say it was an accident.

I wish we lived in a society where simple bad behavior could be punished by the recipient, but we don't. In my grandpa's day if you said or did certain things to another man or a person in his company you might get a crack on the jaw, now unless that behavior consitituted assault you are probably the one that's going to get in trouble for decking some jerk.

Would get banned as a WMD as soon as Congress got wind unfortunately.

I hear ya :) wasnt thinking you thought that either ;)

it was a accident so sorry you fat finger smashing slob :) my poor girl was screaming and crying so loud I did not realize you stopped in front of me ! I just barely touched him :) heheehhe

got to say it takes a lot to get me to snap but the look on his face was priceless
he most likely got away with this behavior all the time :)

I think maybe your grandpa would have been proud of me as I lived in that moment for a time :)

whats funny is when I lived in Honduras that is still how things are settled ! and often times Maui is the same way !

ra2bach
08-23-11, 03:45
You do that if an accident is unavoidable. Its better to intentionally put the bike down and let you go sliding off than smack into a moving car at a 90 degree angle. Provided you are wearing the proper protective equipment....

Bikes are generally not great stoppers, and its VERY easy to go down anyways by locking the brakes up. Stopping very quickly in a panicked situation is very difficult.

By putting the bike down you'll slow down faster by sliding on the pavement than braking, and thus slamming into the side of the car or going over it and flipping in the air. A controlled slide is the safest method when there is no possibility of accident avoidance.

at first I was going to say absolute and utter bullshit... but then I thought better of it and will only say that all manner of studies prove differently. :D

seriously, research this if you don't believe me - there is no way a bike is going to stop quicker sliding on its side than upright on its tires.

it's long past time that this dangerous old fantasy of "I had to lay it down" bullshit was dragged out into the light of day. most of the people who say they had to lay it down, say that to cover the fact that they are in reality, shitty riders who don't know how and haven't practiced bringing their bike to a quick controlled stop, or even maneuvering under heavy braking.

please, to everone who has ever heard or said, "I had to lay it down", check out the MSF training. it's a matter of life and death ...

Honu
08-23-11, 05:07
at first I was going to say absolute and utter bullshit... but then I thought better of it and will only say that all manner of studies prove differently. :D

seriously, research this if you don't believe me - there is no way a bike is going to stop quicker sliding on its side than upright on its tires.

it's long past time that this dangerous old fantasy of "I had to lay it down" bullshit was dragged out into the light of day. most of the people who say they had to lay it down, say that to cover the fact that they are in reality, shitty riders who don't know how and haven't practiced bringing their bike to a quick controlled stop, or even maneuvering under heavy braking.

please, to everone who has ever heard or said, "I had to lay it down", check out the MSF training. it's a matter of life and death ...

Ditto :)
like bad drivers to many people on bikes cant ride at all ! and many times when they get in accidents could have been avoided ? but its a free country

most riders slam the rear brake and slide out ?

experienced riders know the front brake is pretty much all your stopping power :)
and body position etc..
depending on the bike and rider they can stop along with the best sports cars ? but again takes a good rider which most are not ?

a sports car in general from say 60 you just smash the pedal to the floor and ABS takes care of everything and you stop :) cant do that on a superbike unless you really know whats up

Thomas M-4
08-23-11, 10:23

I would never want to lay one down on purpose unless it was to prevent me from getting decapitated.
80% of your braking power is in the front. You can lock down the rear but but you will not stop anytime soon. Now me personally I tried to use rear braking as much as possible because it was safer / more controllable but if you had to do a panic stop you are going to have to apply front braking.
You can and should practice it yes true but road surface conditions will play a big part. You get off to the side just a tiny bit were the loose shit is, hell for that matter I have seen loose shit right in the middle of intersections all your practicing ant going to mean shit unless you practice with a dirt bike with street tires. In fact that was just as much a reason me giving it up along with the idiots on cell phones.

Around here the roads are fairly notorious for just one example there was a problem few yrs ago with semi truck drivers with steel coils and they would not tie them down correctly they would use straps instead of the chains that by law they were required to use. They dropped coils all over the freeway we are talking about some of them weighting 30,000lbs and they would knock big holes in the freeway. Now if that wasn't bad enough the road crews would for temporary fix started using 3/4" steel plate bolted down over the holes on one particular bad patch that they had the studs were protruding a good 3'' through the plate. The first time I saw that plate was shortly after they had installed it and reopened up the road. There were at least five vehicle's pulled off the side on the emergency lane all of them changing tires from running over those studs. It took them another week to come back to it and actually cut down those studs :rolleyes:.

Belmont31R
08-23-11, 10:44
Thats more of what I was talking about like hitting the back of a semi truck. Not every situation, and if you can try to avoid the accident than do so. When I had that idiot go across several lanes I tried to brake as hard as I could and get as close to the side as possible. She was coming from my side so I only saw the car out of my side vision. Obviously braking and getting over was the best option not inducing a slide.

Belmont31R
08-23-11, 10:53
Ditto :)
like bad drivers to many people on bikes cant ride at all ! and many times when they get in accidents could have been avoided ? but its a free country

most riders slam the rear brake and slide out ?

experienced riders know the front brake is pretty much all your stopping power :)
and body position etc..
depending on the bike and rider they can stop along with the best sports cars ? but again takes a good rider which most are not ?

a sports car in general from say 60 you just smash the pedal to the floor and ABS takes care of everything and you stop :) cant do that on a superbike unless you really know whats up

Very few bikes can come close to the stopping distances of a modern car like a 911. Most bikes do not even come close.

BCmJUnKie
08-23-11, 11:16
Very few bikes can come close to the stopping distances of a modern car like a 911. Most bikes do not even come close.

Bikes take the same distance as a car to stop.

I have one, so my girlfriend and I are going to the movie store this weekend, on our way in and about ten feet from the door. There is another couple on their way out.
We are now about 5 feet from the door now,the couple walks through (door pushes out) and they just walk through and let it close.

This happens about twice everytime we go somewhere, I try and hold doors for everyone, even if I have too wait a couple seconds. Anyone ever hold the door aand its a big group of people and you have to stand there while NONE of them even try to grab it? After you hold it and not ONE of them acknowledge you? Makes you wanna slam it on someones stupid fingers huh

Honu
08-23-11, 19:36

911 60-0 in under 110 feet I it's close for say the new mustangs etc... Most of the best cars these days can do 110-120 feet from 60
Not cruise type bikes I am talking super bikes and again it's the rider that falls short
BMW had a road bike with abs stopped in 103 feet
Some big 1000 size are around 130 feet some of the lighter 750 size can be about 110-120
So very close

Again sports cars much easier slam the brakes they stop and yes panic put me in a car anyway :)
Most cars win since they are better in all kinds of situations damp road gravel rough etc...
So not saying a bike beats a car saying a car beats out bikes but by a very small amount
Again it's most riders can't ride a bike

Redmanfms
08-23-11, 21:02

Speaking of, I sometimes watch ABC Family in the afternoons for That '70s Show reruns, and I'm aghast at some of the programming they consider "family" entertainment. It's all obviously geared to teenage girls, but it does nothing but encourage entirely unacceptable behavior.

I remember the hullabaloo surrounding some of the shows on MTV when I was a teenager in the '90s, like Beavis and Butthead, but they have shows that make teenaged girls who get knocked up look like freakin' heroes. It's simply astounding to me. I knew one girl who got pregnant in high school, and she was only a couple months from graduation. Apparently most of the local high schools have at least a couple 10th graders get pregnant every year with the occasional 9th grader joining the club. My friend teaches at a middle school next county over and he says they get the occasional pregnant 8th grader, and even 7th grader. He taught a girl who already had a kid and was pregnant with a second as an 8th grade pre-algebra teacher.

First step, destroy the basic unit of social order, the nuclear family......

Redmanfms
08-23-11, 21:15
There was a time this sort of thing didn't happen because there was a real risk that somebody would DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Several generations of stand up people being conditioned that such things are wrong and you might get sued if you decide to not take it have encouraged the worst in people who need to be set straight.

Combine this with parental discipline being seen as potential child abuse and you have an entire generation that has never been corrected and they think it is actually a "right" to do whatever they feel like doing.

Exactly. In societies that refuse to enforce social standards, social order collapses.

Moose-Knuckle
08-24-11, 02:27
Speaking of, I sometimes watch ABC Family in the afternoons for That '70s Show reruns, and I'm aghast at some of the programming they consider "family" entertainment. It's all obviously geared to teenage girls, but it does nothing but encourage entirely unacceptable behavior.

I remember the hullabaloo surrounding some of the shows on MTV when I was a teenager in the '90s, like Beavis and Butthead, but they have shows that make teenaged girls who get knocked up look like freakin' heroes. It's simply astounding to me. I knew one girl who got pregnant in high school, and she was only a couple months from graduation. Apparently most of the local high schools have at least a couple 10th graders get pregnant every year with the occasional 9th grader joining the club. My friend teaches at a middle school next county over and he says they get the occasional pregnant 8th grader, and even 7th grader. He taught a girl who already had a kid and was pregnant with a second as an 8th grade pre-algebra teacher.

First step, destroy the basic unit of social order, the nuclear family......

Much truth right there.

MTV is a VERY successful cog in the social engineering machine. I am always amazed at the POWER of influence a ****'n TV has on the sheep. Control is always automatic.