PDA

View Full Version : ddemis, cold steel recon tanto.

ddemis
11-03-07, 23:07
I have read alot about different combat blades over the years and hardley ever does any one mention the cold steel recon tanto. I feel it's just about as perfect a blade as one could hope for. A seven inch blade with tanto point for piercing and nice rubber grip handle. I was fortunate enough to purchase one in Carbon V steel that holds a sharp edge very well and is super strong. Any one dissagree.

Failure2Stop
11-04-07, 05:43
I've had a Recon Tanto since about '94. It's a pretty good blade, but not terribly useful. I prefer tha SRK as an all-round workhorse.

Dave L.
11-04-07, 07:57
I feel it's just about as perfect a blade as one could hope for.

You could hope for something better. If you really want a knife from that company, I would go with the SRK; I have 2. One is like brand new because the other one has lasted a ton of abuse.

What tasks will you be using the knife for? I have never had to pierce a car door/tire with a knife and flesh is really no match for a steak knife; tanto's are over-rated.

ddemis
11-04-07, 12:44
I guess your right, now that you mention it the recon tanto does not have a lot of utility and the SRK has a little more uses. If there was one thing to improve the utility of the recon tanto a inch or two of serations near the back of the blade perhaps.

sonrider657
11-07-07, 10:14
I would not purchase another Cold Steel knife as they are poorly made. Too bad that they don't put some of the money that they spend for advertising and marketing into engineering and quality control.

ddemis
11-07-07, 11:24
I have owned and used cold steel knives most of my life and never had a problem. Can you describe your reasons why they are poorly made and what quality problems you experienced.

Paulinski
11-07-07, 12:25
I would not purchase another Cold Steel knife as they are poorly made. Too bad that they don't put some of the money that they spend for advertising and marketing into engineering and quality control.

Most of the Cold Steel knives I examined had Made in China Stamp on them. What really pushes my away from Cold Steel is blatant rip-off of other designs.

WasatchAR
11-07-07, 12:58
I have also had one from the early 90's, and have used it to do almost everything from splitting wood, to digging sump holes in rocky soil. I cannot speak for their newer stuff, but my old one will always be a well respected piece of kit.

ddemis
11-07-07, 13:44
I purchased mine in 1990 and can't complain about at all. If cold steel has started using cheap blades from china thats a bad sign since they always made all there blades in house. Ahother cheap product from china is a sad sign of the times.

ddemis
11-11-07, 13:00
Cold steel just posted a warning on their web site about knockoffs from china. Seems our friends from the peoples republic of china are now making fakes complete with cold steel boxes and logos.Cold steel says on their sight to examine the serations for poorly designed teeth with dull edges and bad spacing. Also check for poor grades of steel and handles made of a combination of pressed plastic and rubber. It seems theres no limit to what china will do to make a profit, even if it means blatant copying of someones elses product.