PDA

View Full Version : M14 - LRB, Fulton Armory or other?

Clarkm
08-20-11, 00:06
So I decided I need a quality M14 battle rifle, CL, all the good stuff (not the SA piece of cheese, as I have owned 5 of them...). I had decided on a Fulton Armory Enhanced Service Rifle (add CL bbl, Sadlak titanium nitride piston) here:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-6.aspx

But then I started to get some non-positive feedback, so I thought I would ask what the experience of folks here has been with Fulton Armory.

I also looked at LRB, but their rifles are a bit more costly. Here:

www.lrbarms.com

Any suggestions?

Winnerkd
08-20-11, 06:38
A functioning M14 from LRB will preform just like a functioning M1A. Have you considered a much more user friendly rifle like an AR in .308? The price of the LRB is considerable, and it's almost up there with the SCAR and it's at the same point as a LMT MWS.

mkmckinley
08-20-11, 07:30
I was in your shoes a few years ago an I never pulled the trigger so to speak. There were just so many details as far as materials, manufacturer, optics mounting etc that I could never quite decide on what I should go with. Now it's 2011 and I'm really glad I didn't shell out $2000 for a rifle that's been surpassed in every way by modern designs.
I know you asked a specific question and this post isn't answering it, but Winnerkd is right. If you want a semiautomatic 7.62X51 for serious use your'e way better off with a 7.62 AR or Mk-17.
If you're dead set on a M1A I work with an "M1A guy" who had good things to say about Smith Enterprises.

TOrrock
08-20-11, 09:58
If I lived in some blighted state like California, I'd get an LRB with an 18" Criterion hard chrome lined barrel and a Smith Ent. brake.

Clarkm
08-20-11, 22:20
Gentlemen, thank you for the input. Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, so please let me ask:

Are any of the AR10s out there as reliable as a quality M14 for a battle rifle? I would like an N6 as a precision rig out to 800 yds but I was thinking I should have a .308 battle rifle as well as the precision rig.

Would a Noveske N6, LMT MWS, or some other AR10 be more reliable as a battle rifle than a good M14?

Thanks for the input.

Sensei
08-21-11, 00:35
Gentlemen, thank you for the input. Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, so please let me ask:

Are any of the AR10s out there as reliable as a quality M14 for a battle rifle? I would like an N6 as a precision rig out to 800 yds but I was thinking I should have a .308 battle rifle as well as the precision rig.

Would a Noveske N6, LMT MWS, or some other AR10 be more reliable as a battle rifle than a good M14?

Thanks for the input.

The MWS, OBR, SCAR, REPR, N6 and SR25-EMC are all just as reliable and accurate. A DSA FAL is more reliable and durable, but a little less accurate. All of these are also much easier and less expensive to maintain over the long run than the M14/M1A. Of the ones that I listed, the most practical is probably the MWS, SCAR, or OBR. The SR25-EMC is excellent, but expensive at more than $4K. The REPR is novel with the side charging handle, but I do not feel that the piston adds anything and I have a hard time justifying the cost in retrospect. FYI, I own a MWS, OBR, REPR, NM M1A, and FAL.

Cagemonkey
08-21-11, 07:14
I think a LRB, Fulton Armory or Smith Enterprises M1A/M14 would be a good rifle provided you have a practical/realistic expectations. Don't go down the road of trying to get 1 MOA accuracy. Your going to spend a shit load of money and are going to get a heavy rifle that you can't field strip. If I were to go for a M1A/M14, I'd get one with a chrome lined GI contour or scout barrel. Put it in a GI type fiberglass stock with a accurized gas system and match trigger. Stick with iron sights or scout mounted RDS. You should get 2.5 MOA accuracy and have a practical and reliable battle rifle. If you want more accuracy get an AR type 7.62 or SCAR 17.

GNXII
08-21-11, 15:34
If you have your heart set on an M1A/Semi-M14 platform, I'd go with an LRB all the way. His receivers are excellent and his builds are exactly what you want. BTW, I have an 18" from LRB and recently parted ways with a "20 GI-spec LRB rifle. That being said when I had my LRB built there were little in the way of 7.62x51 ARs except Armalite AR10s(modded M1A mags so-so reliability on the ones I looked at.) , DPMS( not so good reputation in 5.56/.223. ARs) and Bushmasters 7.62(not thrillerd w/there QC either). Knights Armament were way outta my price league. If it was today, I'd look into the LMT, LWRC and Larure to satisfy my 7.62/308 needs.

QuickStrike
08-21-11, 18:02
I'd also get the LRB with the 18" chrome lined barrel.

TOrrock
08-21-11, 18:44
The Brits are getting yeoman's service out of their L129A1's in Afghanistan.

I'd much rather have one of those as a scoped battle rifle than a M14 variant.

Clarkm
08-21-11, 19:13
Thanks again. THis has answered my question, and I will re-start the shopping/eval procedure. :)