PDA

View Full Version : Trigger for Rem 700? Have xmark pro

Pappabear
08-20-11, 01:56
My tigger is breaking at 4 lbs. The screw that is supposed to adjust, doesn't do shit. I looked at some Timney triggers. They said for rem700 , does not fit Xmark pro rifles.

Anyone have any luck adjusting the Xmarks?

Pb

orkan
08-20-11, 11:56
Xmark is shit... in all its forms.

Not sure what the deal is with that Timney information. I've replaced 6 Xmark's, and 4 Xmark pro's with timney 510's. No issues on either.

Obviously you know what I'd recommend. ;)

Pappabear
08-20-11, 14:15
Xmark is shit... in all its forms.

Not sure what the deal is with that Timney information. I've replaced 6 Xmark's, and 4 Xmark pro's with timney 510's. No issues on either.

Obviously you know what I'd recommend. ;)

Good to know.

markm
08-20-11, 23:17
Looks like we're on the Timney express. :(

orkan
08-21-11, 00:14
Why sad face? Be happy! They are great triggers for tactical/hunting rifles.

I set all mine up at 2.5lbs. The distinctive feature of the timney's is a wide trigger shoe with ample ribs. I very much like this. Others hate it, and go for a narrow shoe like a jewell or something similar. Jewel's are just too touchy for me. Timney is the right kind of tough and yet is amazingly crisp.

Pappabear
08-21-11, 10:31
Only negative bout Timney is one more run to the bank $$$$. After base / rings, glass, stock. But there is no getting away from it, triggers SUCK. So one more run to the corn pile.

markm
08-21-11, 19:52
Only negative bout Timney is one more run to the bank $$$$.

Exactly. The more I notionalize on it, the less painful another hundo seems.

Eurodriver
08-21-11, 20:27
A Timney 510 was the first thing I did to my Rem 700P.

The $125 wasn't even a dent in the overall budget for the barrel chop/threading, base, rings, scope, bedding, bolt knob, suppressor...:confused:

Pappabear
08-21-11, 20:35
I am going to try that flat Timney trigger. Never wanted one for my AR's, but don't like steep curve on these rem triggers.
And this is entirely different beast.

I'll keep you guys posted on how we like it.

KiloSierra
08-21-11, 22:36
There should be two different models numbers on the Timney triggers. One doesn't come with a safety lever uses the one off the old style trigger. The other comes with a safety lever and is for use when replacing X-Mark triggers.

My X-Mark Pro was fine for a while. Then the pull weight started to go up when you didn't shoot it in a while and then it would drop down to what it was supposed to be after a few rounds. Replaced it with a old style take off trigger. It mysteriously works perfectly with a 2.5 lb pull.

markm
08-22-11, 09:07
The $125 wasn't even a dent in the overall budget

True... I just want to have a completed gun some day.;)

Two Timney triggers are inbound.

Dave L.
08-22-11, 10:50
True... I just want to have a completed gun some day.;)

Silly goose, there is no such thing. :D

markm
08-22-11, 10:58
I'm finding this out.

Buy the time I develop good precision skills... it'll be time for a Nightforce and then a rebarrel.

Grizzly16
08-22-11, 11:08
Is seeing if the stock trigger is messed up some how an option to save some coin? I've shot more than a few 700s with very nice feeling stock triggers....once they are properly adjusted.

markm
08-22-11, 11:18
Neither of our Triggers would adjust down at all. Pappa has a trigger pull guage, and all we got dog balls by backing the screw out accoring to the Owners manual.

I can't wait to get these xmarks the hell out of the guns.

orkan
08-22-11, 11:30
I've shot more than a few 700s with very nice feeling stock triggers....once they are properly adjusted.

... and if you don't shoot much, you won't ever know any different.

When I hear someone talking about the stock triggers from remington or savage as "nice triggers" I know I'm talking to someone that doesn't shoot much OR has never used a good trigger. I'm not saying you are a moron, so don't go off on a tangent. I'm just saying if you think the stock triggers are nice, you've never used an actual good trigger. Once you do, you'll hate every factory trigger.

Now the burden of running a trigger correctly is on the shooter, so I'm not saying you can't shoot accurately with a stock trigger. What I'm saying is that until your marksman skills are up to par, you won't know what parts of the remington xmark are lacking. Most people will shoot them and never be the wiser.

However, having a trigger that;
Breaks inconsistently, like the Xmark.
Has variable weight even when you didn't adjust it, like the Xmark.
Has variable creep, when you didn't adjust it, like the Xmark.
Behaves differently depending on round count. (trigger cycles)
... are all very bad things that will make even the best shooter throw a shot once in a while.

This is especially true in positional shooting. Let's face it, most people can lay down with a mosin nagant that has a 12lb completely shitty trigger and be relatively accurate when in the prone. Get into a position that doesn't allow you rock solid stability such as kneeling or standing and the game changes drastically.

The remington xmark is no better trigger than that abomination so-called "accu-trigger" from savage. When you have experience with triggers that are actually good... you know this. :)

markm
08-22-11, 11:42

This is it! When I first got my 700, the trigger felt great because I'm used to GI AR triggers. But as I'm nearing 300 rounds through the gun... The trigger has become a pain in the ass.

Grizzly16
08-22-11, 12:58

When I hear someone talking about the stock triggers from remington or savage as "nice triggers" I know I'm talking to someone that doesn't shoot much OR has never used a good trigger. I'm not saying you are a moron, so don't go off on a tangent. I'm just saying if you think the stock triggers are nice, you've never used an actual good trigger. Once you do, you'll hate every factory trigger.

Now the burden of running a trigger correctly is on the shooter, so I'm not saying you can't shoot accurately with a stock trigger. What I'm saying is that until your marksman skills are up to par, you won't know what parts of the remington xmark are lacking. Most people will shoot them and never be the wiser.

However, having a trigger that;
Breaks inconsistently, like the Xmark.
Has variable weight even when you didn't adjust it, like the Xmark.
Has variable creep, when you didn't adjust it, like the Xmark.
Behaves differently depending on round count. (trigger cycles)
... are all very bad things that will make even the best shooter throw a shot once in a while.

This is especially true in positional shooting. Let's face it, most people can lay down with a mosin nagant that has a 12lb completely shitty trigger and be relatively accurate when in the prone. Get into a position that doesn't allow you rock solid stability such as kneeling or standing and the game changes drastically.

The remington xmark is no better trigger than that abomination so-called "accu-trigger" from savage. When you have experience with triggers that are actually good... you know this. :)

Lol, I can't get mad at the truth. The best feeling trigger I've had the chance to shoot is one of the new triggers on the Marlin x7. It broke with so little pressure it was scary. I definitely appreciated the glock like trigger safety on it.

orkan
08-22-11, 13:14
A nice crisp trigger is very under-rated by most people. It doesn't have to be light, but repeatable and crisp. Most of my rifles are set at 2.5lbs, but break like a glass rod, with no creep or overtravel.

You can set a good aftermarket trigger like a timney, up to a higher weight, and still it will be very manageable.

As you progress, you'll come to hate the trigger safeties, as they detract from the feel of the trigger shoe on the pad of your finger. That relationship is critical to ensuring repeatable finger placement on the trigger. Thus, I absolutely detest the accutrigger style designs.

markm
08-22-11, 13:47
I was dry firing the xmark at the 200 yard range Saturday and just watching that reticle jump all over every time the trigger would break.

Are the Timneys pretty fast triggers?

jpipes
08-22-11, 14:26
I've shot them all, and greatly prefer the Timney, or a worked over "old style" factory 700 trigger, for a crisp single stage. I just got my Surgeon build back from a gunsmith, and the wide shoe on my Timney, along with the clean break, make shooting so much easier.

jpipes
08-22-11, 14:29
http://www.8541tactical.com/timney_review.php

This guy's review sums up my feelings on the Timney 510 perfectly. I also know the winner of the SH Cup at Rifles Only earlier this year was running a Timney on his Surgeon 6.5 Creedmoor, and our rifles take a beating down there...

Grizzly16
08-22-11, 14:29
Crap, you all are making me want to buy a new trigger for my 700 now. Find out what all the fuss is about.

orkan
08-25-11, 00:52
Crap, you all are making me want to buy a new trigger for my 700 now. Find out what all the fuss is about.

Best money you'll ever spend. Buy a timney 510, and if you don't like it... I'll buy it.

Pappabear
08-25-11, 01:02
Ours timneys came in. They felt very good but we lightened them up just a little. Now these guns are dialed in. That Xmark will fight you a little. Glad to be done with that fight. It will be interesting to see if the groups improve a little. I expect , on average , they will improve.

Neither mark or myself can get out this weekend. I may have to sneak out middle of week next week. That's a long wait to squeeze that sweet trigger. So far I'm impressed dry firing.

orkan
08-25-11, 01:56
Dry fire with a quarter on the end of your barrel. This is easiest with a buddy to put the quarter on there when you are ready to go. :)

What weight did you dial yours down to?

markm
08-25-11, 08:08
Pappas is breaking a 2.5. Mine is about 3-1/2.

Just dry firing at a distance Palm tree I can see that the reticle stays much steadier when the shot breaks.

orkan
08-25-11, 11:20
Just dry firing at a distance Palm tree

Shoot the scorpions out of the damn thing! I lived in north scottsdale for a while, and every palm tree was infested with scorpions.

I'm glad you are liking the trigger. It's like a whole new world eh?

AZ-Renegade
08-25-11, 11:29
What do you guys think will be more beneficial for me and my 700 AAC; replacing the factory trigger then replacing the Hogue stock or vice versa?

I'm leaning towards replacing the trigger....

orkan
08-25-11, 11:37
Stock. no contest.

Hogue stocks are junk. I'd say do both... but thats me. So if you are only doing one... do the stock. Get that action bedded in a new stock and you'll love life.

Pappabear
08-25-11, 12:00
Stock. The Trigger is heavy but breaks clean. The stock SUUUX.

Change the stock, it will definitely make life better faster.

jpipes
08-25-11, 12:18
Stock for sure. Get a Manners with a mini-chassis, or and AICS and don't worry about bedding.

f.2
08-25-11, 12:45
on my .223 700 ltr the xmark came out and a smith installed / tuned an old school remington trigger. works for me.

markm
08-25-11, 13:42
Shoot the scorpions out of the damn thing! I lived in north scottsdale for a while, and every palm tree was infested with scorpions.

I'm glad you are liking the trigger. It's like a whole new world eh?

I can't wait to get out to the range.

AZ-Renegade
08-25-11, 17:18
Thanks guys.

Eventually I will get both, but the gun money fund is low.

infidelprodigy
08-25-11, 18:05
Haven't shot my AAC 700 enough so the xmark is still nice with dryfire.

That said, just ordered a #510 from midway today ($117 shipped)

markm
08-25-11, 21:22
Haven't shot my AAC 700 enough so the xmark is still nice with dryfire.

Dry fire it on a precision target at 200 or more yards and watch your reticle jump. ;)

Both Pappa and My rifle were nasty about this.

rogers0317
08-28-11, 17:30
Definitely go with a Timney. Stay away from Jewells if you are planning on it getting dirty at all.

TRUST8383
08-30-11, 22:35
Thanks a LOT fellas! Because of this thread, I just ordered the Timney 510 off midway. :no:

My AAC-SD project is getting more and more expensive by the minute!
I have slight buyers remorse, but I think i'll get over it when I go to the range again. haha:D

markm
08-30-11, 23:19
Thanks a LOT fellas! Because of this thread, I just ordered the Timney 510 off midway. :no:

My AAC-SD project is getting more and more expensive by the minute!
I have slight buyers remorse, but I think i'll get over it when I go to the range again. haha:D

Try your trigger pull before you torque your action back into place. I had to pull mine and lower my pull by a half a pound.

Pappabear
08-30-11, 23:56
That buyers remorse will be gone at Bang, maybe at Click.

TRUST8383
09-06-11, 17:21
woohoo! time to get to work. :D

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/1b88df3b.jpg

markm
09-06-11, 22:09
Adjust your trigger before you torque the stock back on. :(

Ask me how I figgered this out. ;) I assumed the trigger was set for 3 lbs out of the package.

TRUST8383
09-07-11, 00:38
Just installed the Timney 510 trigger on my 700 AAC-SD. Trigger pull is exactly repeatable and crisp. I have it set to 2.5 lbs and it feels awesome!!

Install went smooth and it truly is drop in except for one issue I had, which was probably more related to my AICS stock? There is a pin on the left side of the trigger housing that pops out slightly when the safety is actuated. Safety would function fine until I dropped it into the AICS stock. Once installed, the pin hits the inside of the stock and would not function properly.

Was an easy fix though. I got out the trusty dremel and carefully removed a small amount of material from the pin until it sat flush with trigger housing body. (when the safety was in the fire position)

Problem solved, trigger is bad@ss. Will report when I get some rounds down range.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I'm very happy with this mod. :D

Couple of pics in case anyone else has to install this trigger in an AI chassis.

Trigger housing taped off. You can see the culprit pin that is exposed.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/700/81edc789.jpg

Trimmed down
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/700/fb39d555.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/700/262a6240.jpg

All done. It's a tight fit, but the stock did not have to be modified to fit the wider trigger.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/700/02af95e5.jpg

orkan
09-07-11, 10:05
You might want to shave some material off the AICS skins next to the trigger as well. The timney has a wide shoe, so the skins can easily make contact with the trigger. There is a little lip down there, you can open up to level.

markm
09-07-11, 11:02
orkan.

Got my Timney out Sunday and shot a nice half MOA group with 175smks at 200 yards. Best results I've got out of the gun yet.

I told Pappabear that we could come up there and teach you how to make wind calls some day!!! :D

orkan
09-07-11, 11:28
Amazing what a good trigger will do eh? People that haven't used one are oblivious.

I told Pappabear that we could come up there and teach you how to make wind calls some day!!! :D

Please do! :) I NEVER (ever) turn down anyone's invite to teach me how to read the wind. I don't imagine I ever will... as it is the ONE thing in my shooting that I constantly find myself frustrated over. Living in SD, I get plenty of practice and am pretty good at it... but could always be better.

markm
09-07-11, 11:47
We rarely get wind out here. So our solution is to stay home that day! :p

Amazing what a good trigger will do eh? People that haven't used one are oblivious.

I could almost shave another 1/2 lb off mine... I'm going to shoot it a while first though.