PDA

View Full Version : What we do has consequences...

chuckman
08-20-11, 08:14
I have been doing medical stuff for a bit over 20 years now, in many forms. I don't get the "I have seen it all" attitude because once I think that, God has a way of making me humble. Here is an example from last weekend:

70-something year-old woman presenting with pneumonia and a UTI. No acute distress, VS all good, labs good except for nast urine and a bit of a WBC count around 11. Few medical problems, only on a couple meds, no allergies.

Doc wants rocephin. I have given rocephin like, I dunno, a million times. I start the rocephin, walk out. I get 10 steps and her daughter says "Mom ain't looking so good." I go back, she is red, wet, writhing, says she is going to die. Then she does. Anaphylaxis from hell, she arrests. We code her for, oh, 5-10 minutes, get her back. Fast forward three days, she is discharged from the hospital.

Moral of the story...I do not care of you are a first responder, EMTP, RN, medic, corpsman, doc or surgeon, what we do has consequences, no matter how inconsequential it appears. Pay attention, remain humble, don't say "I have seen it all," because you haven't.

Reagans Rascals
08-20-11, 08:26
2 weeks after getting my private pilots license, I decided to go on a short day trip, probably 2-3 hours away. Weather forecast was fine for the prescribed route, but building nastily to the north. Me being a new pilot, cocky as hell, I didn't think anything of it... fast forward 2 hours later with an engine bordering on going out and in instrument conditions (without an instrument rating)... unable to divert to an alternate because of the awful weather... forced to fly right through the gauntlet of Convective Turbulence and the towering blackness of thunderstorms.... needless to say I am here so I obviously made it.. barely... while learning a few lessons in humility along the way...

I learned that day there is no such thing as "under-confidence"... that's simply your gut telling your ego what it doesn't want to hear...

ucrt
08-20-11, 11:22
...what we do has consequences, no matter how inconsequential it appears. Pay attention, remain humble, don't say "I have seen it all," because you haven't.

========================================

Glad things worked out.

FACT: We reap what we sow...or as I taught my kids about handling the consequences of their actions ..."You grew it, so chew it!"

To me, a good tattletale of incompetence is when I have a mechanic tell me, “That’s the way we’ve always done it!” It just tells me they are not paying attention, don't understand the task, being complacent, not observant, not applying skills, don’t have the skills, etc.

But maybe it’s just me…

g5m
08-26-11, 22:30
I have been doing medical stuff for a bit over 20 years now, in many forms. I don't get the "I have seen it all" attitude because once I think that, God has a way of making me humble. Here is an example from last weekend:

70-something year-old woman presenting with pneumonia and a UTI. No acute distress, VS all good, labs good except for nast urine and a bit of a WBC count around 11. Few medical problems, only on a couple meds, no allergies.

Doc wants rocephin. I have given rocephin like, I dunno, a million times. I start the rocephin, walk out. I get 10 steps and her daughter says "Mom ain't looking so good." I go back, she is red, wet, writhing, says she is going to die. Then she does. Anaphylaxis from hell, she arrests. We code her for, oh, 5-10 minutes, get her back. Fast forward three days, she is discharged from the hospital.

Moral of the story...I do not care of you are a first responder, EMTP, RN, medic, corpsman, doc or surgeon, what we do has consequences, no matter how inconsequential it appears. Pay attention, remain humble, don't say "I have seen it all," because you haven't.

I'm glad it worked out for you and your patient.
Anaphylaxis is always lurking.