PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint H-1 or PRO for AR15??

Eagle1*
08-20-11, 11:40
Been kicking around getting me a red dot sight for my Noveske SBR and have narrowed it down to the Aimpoint H-1 or the newer PRO optic. I have had an M2/M3 in the past and sold them because I thought they were to big so that is why I am leaning towards the H-1. Anybody fill me in on the smaller H-1's and how the field of view is through the smaller optic as opposed to the bigger M2/M3/M4, etc.

I was not a big fan of the 4moa dot but would consider it again if the H-1 is worth the money as the newer PRO optic comes with the 2moa dot, I just dont think I want something that big (PRO) on my sbr.

kmrtnsn
08-20-11, 13:20
Here at the house we have a painted R1 and a T1 on rifles. Love them both, however, if we were looking for a new red dot I would not hesitate to but the new PRO. It is hard to pass up the $400+/- price, mount included although I am not too enamored of the T1-sized knob on the included mount.

Singlestack Wonder
08-20-11, 13:52
Both are good choices. 4MOA vs. 2MOA = personal preference. I prefer the smaller size and weight of the H1.

shootist~
08-20-11, 17:35
Anybody fill me in on the smaller H-1's and how the field of view is through the smaller optic as opposed to the bigger M2/M3/M4, etc.

Field of view is N/A if you shoot two eyes open; assuming you are not weak eye dominate and need to squint the off eye. If so, the tube on the M is bigger, but mounting the RD further back mitigates this somewhat. I'm weak eye dominate, but can shoot the Micro two eyes open just fine - at CQB range anyway. I does take some practice, (and I have mine mounted just fwd of the BUIS).

I also have a mild stigmatization in the strong eye and get along much better with the 3.6 MOA Micro dot than with a 2 MOA ML3.

Wiggity
08-20-11, 18:24
Well OP, It pretty much boils down to this.

Smaller dot, bigger optic

Or

Bigger dot, smaller optic

JSantoro
08-20-11, 23:12
FYI, same emitter in a 4MOA Comp-series and the H1, but a shorter body on the H1. That advertised 4MOA dot is closer to 3MOA because it doesn't have the distance required to print as a 4MOA dot in the optic.

If one has "FOV" problems with a both-eyes-open 1x device, the problem lies in an undiagnosed eye eye problem or a unique way that that individual's brain is interpreting what it's being shown. Bearing that in mind, from a technical standpoint, and as applied across the vast majority of the human population, citing problems with FOV in regard to a 1x RDS....that's the shooter, not the device. That's not to cast aspersions on what any individual is saying they see, it's just the science of it.

The PRO is the exact same size as any of the Comp-series optics, and given that you've already bought and sold devices of exactly the same size on the basis of being too big...

Tomac
08-21-11, 07:43
The Micro's 20mm tube can be less forgiving of eye position when shooting from awkward positions but other than that I'd take the Micro over the Pro just for the weight savings (appx 6oz depending upon Micro mount used).
Tomac

Failure2Stop
08-21-11, 09:40
If you dont need to hit anything smaller than 4" at 100 yards, the only disadvantage to the Micro is the smaller tube diameter, but that can be reduced by pushing the T1 toward the rear sight.

Personally, I prefer the larger tubes, but the weight and bulk savings of the Micro are powerful bargaining chips.

warpigM-4
08-21-11, 10:04
I completely Love the PRO to me it is not Big at all compared to the M68(Comp 4) I used in the Military .plus I like I can use the Killflash on it, also with a 400 dollar price tag and 3 yrs battery life I was sold and this was my very first RDS purchase .I bounced back and forth with the H-1 But reading the Opinions Here I went with the PRO for My needs with My weapon.Good Luck with your Purchase

variablebinary
08-21-11, 13:55
I can get a PRO for about $390, which is about half the price of T1 and leaves plenty left over for another mount, ammo, mags or whatever.

I'd get the PRO for that reason alone.

DWood
08-21-11, 16:58
Am I the only one who does not like the PRO because it comes with a mediocre mount that I will not use? I would like to buy the PRO, less the mount and less the $100 or so the QRP2 mount costs. FYI midway sells the mount for $131. Is it just me?

benw315
08-21-11, 17:12
I was in the same boat and went with a T1. I figured at 100 yards I would be a hell of a shot if a 4moa or 2moa dot really made a large difference unmagnified. Plus, sight your rifle in at 50 yards with a 4moa and you can use the top of the dot as poa at 100 yards and the bottom as your poa past 200 or 225. Often times when shooting longer distances and taking wind into account you won't be putting the dot exactly onto the target anyways. Those reasons, and the size advantage are why I went with the T1.

Eric
08-21-11, 18:25
Am I the only one who does not like the PRO because it comes with a mediocre mount that I will not use?
Have you used the QRP2 mount? Perhaps not my first choice, but totally usable. Even if you pick up a PRO for $400 and sell the mount for $50, you end up with a great optic for $350 and come in about $200 less than an H1.

DWood
08-21-11, 18:47
Well, since I want a 30 mm optic for my AK and a picatinny mount will not work, I would like to be able to buy the PRO w/o the mediocre mount. And, if I were to desire the optic for an AR, I still would not want the mount.

alank2
08-21-11, 19:03
Hi,

You can get the T1 right now at MidwayUSA for $499:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=628715

I was trying to debate between the PRO and the H1/T1 and I went with the T1. I am totally happy with the decision. What I asked myself was, if I buy the PRO am I going to regret not putting out a little more cash and getting the micro? Maybe. If I bought the micro would I be wishing I had bought the PRO? Not as much. That is why I went T1.

Thanks,

Alan

TOMTOM
08-22-11, 13:38
Am I the only one who does not like the PRO because it comes with a mediocre mount that I will not use? I would like to buy the PRO, less the mount and less the $100 or so the QRP2 mount costs. FYI midway sells the mount for $131. Is it just me?

the QRP2 mount isn't that bad.

Tomac
08-23-11, 06:39
the QRP2 mount isn't that bad.

Agreed. Works well enough on my CompM4's that I don't see a need to replace them w/something else.
Tomac

0reo
08-23-11, 09:45
You guys with the T1 / H1, what's your preference for a mount? (The $500 deal from Midway comes without a mount.)

alank2
08-23-11, 09:47
Hi,

I went with the LT660 and it has been great so far. I hear the DD mount is also good if you don't want QR.

Good luck,

Alan

C4IGrant
08-23-11, 09:52

It is just you.

If you don't want the mount sell it (isn't hard). The mount is also good enough for combat (issued item) so I wouldn't worry about it not being able to perform for you.

C4

C4IGrant
08-23-11, 09:55
I prefer the Micro sights personally.

We have package deals with Micro's and mounts: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=PKGS

We also have the PRO in stock: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12841

C4

mrosamilia
08-23-11, 11:04
I used the KAC mount and really like the sturdy QD ability with my T1

Eagle1*
08-25-11, 13:57
thanks for all of the replies guys, I actually went with the H1 & LT660 combo and just got it today. I actually love it and whom ever said the dot size was smaller than the stated 4 moa is right, the dot looks alot smaller in this H1 than in my previous M2/M3 sights I had. Now to get it to the range and shoot. Thanks for the info:D

alank2
08-25-11, 15:03
Hi,

Congrats! I am very pleased with the T1/LT660 combo I just got.

Good luck,

Alan

Alaskapopo
08-25-11, 22:38
I can get a PRO for about $390, which is about half the price of T1 and leaves plenty left over for another mount, ammo, mags or whatever.

I'd get the PRO for that reason alone.

You can get the T1 for 500 if you look around. Midway has a sale.
Pat

variablebinary
08-26-11, 00:10
You can get the T1 for 500 if you look around. Midway has a sale.
Pat

That is still a significant price difference, and it is not as if the T1 is a dramatically better optic.

Alaskapopo
08-26-11, 01:40
That is still a significant price difference, and it is not as if the T1 is a dramatically better optic.

The Pro is a good deal but for me at least the micro's (H1 is a better deal) fit my wants and needs better. I like to keep the weight down and I can't see what the full size Aimpoints do that the Micro's can't with less size and bulk.
Pat