PDA

View Full Version : first purchase = RRA LAR-15

Tig
08-20-11, 17:44
Hi,
I'm a complete newb when it comes to any kind of firearm. I have always had an interest but the never the ability to purchase one. I am in the process of looking for one now and saw a RRA LAR-15 at a local shop. The price listed was the least expensive out of any AR that I have seen.

As a first time shooter, would this be a good rifle?
I open to any suggestions, critisism or whatever you have to throw at me.
Thanks

What it costs, hah. $725

DiscipulusArmorum
08-20-11, 18:18
Do you think you could put together another $200-$300 or so dollars? If so, that would get you a nice Colt, for instance. There are other good options at a similar price point.

I have no experience with Rock River, but for my first AR, I would do my best to save up a little money to get something unquestionably solid.

YMMV.

mikeahe
08-20-11, 18:36
RRA no way.

DirectDrive
08-20-11, 18:44
1. RRA doesn't have many friends here, but I will say that their CS has been outstanding for the few parts that I have purchased from them.

2. Never buy something and post here hoping for a blessing.
Better to ask pre-purchase.

3. You have it, go shoot the sh!t out it.

Tig
08-20-11, 18:59
DiscipulusArmorum,
I think I can swing a few hundred more. What attracted me the most was the price, hah. What I want is an Armalite AR15. Just cant find one locally for under 1300. I missed a deal on a new LMT for 1k.

mikeahe,
Thanks man, all opinions count.

DirectDrive,
I have heard great things about there CS.
I have not made the purchase yet. Since it is at a local shop I am considering it.

What other rifles would you guys consider?
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and info.

Wiggity
08-20-11, 19:00
Hi,
I'm a complete newb when it comes to any kind of firearm. I have always had an interest but the never the ability to purchase one. I am in the process of looking for one now and saw a RRA LAR-15 at a local shop. The price listed was the least expensive out of any AR that I have seen.

As a first time shooter, would this be a good rifle?
I open to any suggestions, critisism or whatever you have to throw at me.
Thanks

What it costs, hah. $725

Bad rifle.

theblackknight
08-20-11, 19:02
I was a opps buyer. I got a Stag not knowing the deal. Ive been lucky with my rifle, but you dont want to be lucky, you want to be sure.

Your best price point vs correct spec will be a BCM.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-20-11, 19:04
DiscipulusArmorum,
I think I can swing a few hundred more. What attracted me the most was the price, hah. What I want is an Armalite AR15. Just cant find one locally for under 1300. I missed a deal on a new LMT for 1k.

mikeahe,
Thanks man, all opinions count.

DirectDrive,
I have heard great things about there CS.
I have not made the purchase yet. Since it is at a local shop I am considering it.

What other rifles would you guys consider?

BCM or Daniel Defense unless you can swing for a Noveske or KAC. Colt is good too but I prefer the mid length gas system. It doesn't matter if it's your first rifle or you 100th, you should buy a good rifle. I don't understand why people think they should buy a cheaper bottom dwelling gun to see if they "like it." That's retarded. Then when you realize you're weapon is a POS you have to buy twice, thus spending more money when you could have just bought something nice to begin with.

polymorpheous
08-20-11, 19:18
It doesn't matter if it's your first rifle or you 100th, you should buy a good rifle. I don't understand why people think they should buy a cheaper bottom dwelling gun to see if they "like it." That's retarded. Then when you realize you're weapon is a POS you have to buy twice, thus spending more money when you could have just bought something nice to begin with.

Right.
Or it leaves a bad taste in your mouth regarding the AR15.

OP.
Get a plain jane Colt for $1100.
http://clydearmory.com/colt-sp6920.html
Shoot the hell out of it.
And be happy.
Welcome to the community!

Tig
08-20-11, 19:24
theblackknight,
You're absolutely right. Thank you, I'm going to start doing some more searching.

Mr. Goodtimes,
That is my point in starting this thread = so I dont buy twice or a POS. I was attatched to a DDM4 at another shop for a while, was not in the market at the time. Just like when I missed the LMT.

Thanks guys, i appreciate the help and info.

VIP3R 237
08-20-11, 19:50
DiscipulusArmorum,

Ouch I love my LMT and that's a pretty good deal.

But as everyone else has said, if you can afford it go with a better gun such as Bravo Company, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, or Noveske.

Tig
08-20-11, 20:07
Right.
Or it leaves a bad taste in your mouth regarding the AR15.

OP.
Get a plain jane Colt for $1100.
http://clydearmory.com/colt-sp6920.html
Shoot the hell out of it.
And be happy.
Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the link.
Thanks for welcoming me in, I appreciate it.

Ouch I love my LMT and that's a pretty good deal.

But as everyone else has said, if you can afford it go with a better gun such as Bravo Company, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, or Noveske.

"Ouch" is right. I wish I had the coin back then. I havent seen one since. They did get another DDM4, its used, quite a bit at that. They want 1500 for it, seems a bit high to me.

Random question.
What is the process of buying a rifle online?
What do I need to do so?

Thanks again, I appreciate everything.

polymorpheous
08-20-11, 20:21
T

Random question.
What do I need to do so?

Easy.

Find yourself a FFL holder to do the transfer. Kitchen table guys usually charge around $25 for their service.
Order the gun online and have your FFL fax, email, snail mail their FFL to the seller.
Pick up your new carbine.

WAR FACE
08-20-11, 20:28
about 7 or so years ago colt, rock river, bushmaster, and dpms were the brands of choice people heard of and not many people knew about many of the other better choices we have today. Back then rock river was priced nearer to the dpms and bushmaster price range and generally rock river was considered better than those two. Today they are obviously not highly thought of and yes they do not use milspec grade barrel steel and their gas keys could be staked a little better however they use the same tolerances that most every one uses and will go bang every time you pull the trigger. You may have to restake the career key after a few thousand rounds. your barrel may get shot out before 20,000rds but I highly doubt you'll ever shoot 20,000 rounds through it. They are not the best brand you could have bought but they are definitely not crap either $725 dollars was a decent deal on a prebuilt ar15 rifle of that quality and do not let any body tell you different. ;)

polymorpheous
08-20-11, 20:30
about 7 or so years ago colt, rock river, bushmaster, and dpms were the brands of choice people heard of and not many people knew about many of the other better choices we have today. Back then rock river was priced nearer to the dpms and bushmaster price range and generally rock river was considered better than those two. Today they are obviously not highly thought of and yes they do not use milspec grade barrel steel and their gas keys could be staked a little better however they use the same tolerances that most every one uses and will go bang every time you pull the trigger. You may have to restake the career key after a few thousand rounds. your barrel may get shot out before 20,000rds but I highly doubt you'll ever shoot 20,000 rounds through it. They are not the best brand you could have bought but they are definitely not crap either $725 dollars was a decent deal on a prebuilt ar15 rifle of that quality and do not let any body tell you different. ;)

Please stop spreading disinfo around this board.
They do NOT adhere to the TDP, so no they do not follow the same specs.

jet80tv
08-20-11, 20:54
Follow your own TDP and build your own entirely, more fun!;) the anticipation of it!

polymorpheous
08-20-11, 20:56
Follow your own TDP and build your own entirely, more fun!;) the anticipation of it!

The OP mentions he is not only new to ARs, but new to firearms as well.
I would suggest against this.

duece71
08-20-11, 21:03
Thanks for the link.
Thanks for welcoming me in, I appreciate it.

"Ouch" is right. I wish I had the coin back then. I havent seen one since. They did get another DDM4, its used, quite a bit at that. They want 1500 for it, seems a bit high to me.

Random question.
What do I need to do so?

It would need to be transfered to someone with an FFL. It could be a dealer, gun shop, whomever. When you buy the rifle, the seller will want your FFL to get in contact with them (the seller) and provide the info required. If the seller has a retail shop and you can get to it, you may be able to do a FTF.

DiscipulusArmorum
08-20-11, 21:05
The first and, at this point, only AR15 I own is a Daniel Defense M4V3. I paid $1141 plus a $25 transfer fee. I think their prices have gone up a bit since December.

I chose the the Daniel Defense because it already came with a free float rail that is incredibly light and it had a midlength gas system, which others have mentioned. If I were buying now, I'd look at the at the Daniel Defense M4V5, which is a lightweight version of the V3. Then again, with the higher prices I'm seeing for current DD rifles, I would be very, very tempted to jump on the tremendous deals that come along fairly often for Colt carbines.

Just my personal advice coming from my small amount of experience. You've come to the right site for advice, though.

mkmckinley
08-20-11, 21:20
and do not let any body tell you different. ;)

I appreciate your wanting to help but that attitude is a bit of a problem. To take advantage of what the m4carbine.net community has to offer one would be smart to listen to exactly what some of the more experienced members have to offer. You're basically getting hard earned knowledge for free.

DeltaSierra
08-20-11, 21:20
The best advice has already been given...

Stick with Noveske, Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense or LMT...

Tig
08-21-11, 16:36
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it very much.

I'll swing by the closest shop and inquier about purchasing from another dealer.

I have been doing a lot of searching and found several DDM4s. Since it was the first AR I had held, I think I have done the most research on them. My other interest was/is Armalite. Why has Armalite not been mentioned?

Thanks again

Oh, as stated, I dont think I am ready to do a build on my own. Maybe after a few hundred or thousand rounds, yes.

ucrt
08-21-11, 16:50
Why has Armalite not been mentioned?

===========================

Tig, That is what you call a "clue".

;)

Tig
08-21-11, 17:11
Hah, gatcha.
I'll stick with DD or the like.

Thanks man

Tig
08-21-11, 17:47
What are your opinions on this?
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Thanks

fdxpilot
08-21-11, 17:54
My other interest was/is Armalite. Why has Armalite not been mentioned?

Thanks again

Oh, as stated, I dont think I am ready to do a build on my own. Maybe after a few hundred or thousand rounds, yes.

You've got to realize that the Armalite that Eugene Stoner worked for when he designed the AR15/M16 is dead and gone. It ceased operations and was sold to a Philippine company, Elisco, in 1983.

The current Armalite owes only the name and logo to the original. Otherwise, it is just another manufacturer of so-so quality 5.56 and 7.62 rifles. The companies mentioned here, such as LMT, Daniels, and BCM far surpass Armalite in quality and reliability.

As far as building goes, there are degrees of "Building," which can be more like assembling. You can buy a finished lower, which can run from $250-450, depending on the parts selection and whether a stock is included. A finished upper runs anywhere from $350-2000, depending on what company and what accessories are specified. I have purchased a blemished BCM lower w/o stock (never have found the blemish on it) from G&R Tactical for $270, a $50 stock, and a complete upper from PSA for $400, as a backup/truck rifle. I have also spent almost $500 on a Daniels lower with all the right parts I wanted, and mounted it to an ARP 6.8SPC upper that was around $1000, plus a bunch more for a hunting scope. Neither required anything more than pulling the takedown pins, putting the upper and lower together, pushing the pins back in, and mounting a sight or scope.

I have finally built a lower, from bare receiver up, but still prefer to leave assembling uppers to the folks who know what they're doing.

As a bonus, when you assemble a rifle yourself, you save the 11% Federal Excise Tax on assembled firearms.

Tig
08-21-11, 19:03
fdxpilot,
Thanks for the info on Armalite, I had no idea nor has anyone else I had spoken to about them.
As for building my own. While I am 100% confident in my mechanical skills, for my first rifle I just feel more comfortable buying one complete ready to shoot out of the box.

In what order would you guys put the chosen few? I have found a NIB LMT SMP16 Defender 5.56 for $1025.

ucrt
08-21-11, 19:38

With DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, and Noveske; Colt has the most name recognition but they each offer their own "take" on what's important.
So, anyone saying one is vastly better than the other is just giving their opinion and if you asked them, they probably own the one they're recommending.

Personally, I'd recommend a mid-length 16" barrel with a FSB, Troy folding (or LMT fixed) rear sight, MOE stock and HG's on any of the ones listed above (except Colt) with an Aimpoint T-1 in a Larue or ADM mount...

But maybe it's just me...

Dunderway
08-21-11, 19:43
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

Buy this.

duece71
08-21-11, 20:17

Buy this.

Wow, I would jump on this if I were buying my first AR. Great deal.

Tig
08-21-11, 20:38
ucrt,
Thanks again man, I appreciate all the helkp and info

Dunderway,
Wow

duece71,
I'm on it. I need to stop by a local shop to get some info for this deal.

fdxpilot
08-21-11, 20:59
fdxpilot,
Thanks for the info on Armalite, I had no idea nor has anyone else I had spoken to about them.
As for building my own. While I am 100% confident in my mechanical skills, for my first rifle I just feel more comfortable buying one complete ready to shoot out of the box.

In what order would you guys put the chosen few? I have found a NIB LMT SMP16 Defender 5.56 for $1025.

That's a good price. That was my first AR, also.

Dunderway
08-21-11, 21:08
fdxpilot,

if the LMT is local, I would grab it at that price.

Brennan
08-21-11, 21:35
What are your opinions on this?
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Thanks

You could say that's a good starter rifle. I have an M&P15OR and have had zero issues with it. Guys have been getting those sport models around 600ish out the door. I'd say it'd be a good starter AR, but there's reasons it's cheap (lack of dust cover, forward assist, etc). I'd rather just spend the extra change on something you'll want to keep forever.

opmike
08-21-11, 21:53

Buy this.

Buy this, buy ammo, buy a sling, take a class if you can.

Practice, practice, practice with it and read all you can about how to use it.

They are not the best brand you could have bought but they are definitely not crap either $725 dollars was a decent deal on a prebuilt ar15 rifle of that quality and do not let any body tell you different.

No. There's no ****ing excuse to settle for a "good enough" rifle. Can't afford one? Save until you can. This isn't a range plinker, let's pat-each-other-on-the-back forum. If all you're going to be doing is shooting dirt in the woods, than anything will work for that.

TonyTacoma
08-21-11, 23:05
Buy this, buy ammo, buy a sling, take a class if you can.

Practice, practice, practice with it and read all you can about how to use it.

No. There's no ****ing excuse to settle for a "good enough" rifle. Can't afford one? Save until you can. This isn't a range plinker, let's pat-each-other-on-the-back forum. If all you're going to be doing is shooting dirt in the woods, than anything will work for that.

Id say this just about says it, this forum is loaded with all the info you need.

scottryan
08-21-11, 23:12
RRA is junk.

DocBach
08-21-11, 23:25
$1300 for an LMT? It better be either an MRP rifle or have a SOPMOD stock and a 2-stage trigger for that price point. You can get a complete LMT lower for $360, an upper for $425, and a bolt for $120.

120mm
08-22-11, 06:37
I'm also liking the LMT at that price, especially if it's local.

Otherwise, order the D&G 6920 at that price.

Either way, get some ammo, a sling and a light and get some training and shoot the crap out of it.

aiko
08-22-11, 08:42
OP, where do you live? You could call DD, LMT, Noveske...CS and ask where some local dealers are.

Ed L.
08-22-11, 10:22
Suggesting to people new to firearms to "build" their own AR is asking for failure. To many things they can do wrong, buy the wrong parts, etc, unless you are talking about mating a lower with a complete upper that comes with a bolt carrier group.

PaulL
08-22-11, 10:34
Holy crap that is a good price for a 6920. If you don't buy that or that LMT, you deserve a vigorous beating with a wet noodle.

Kfgk14
08-22-11, 12:08
Build your own. For $1000 you could get all the necessary tools and build a better rifle at home, while learning the ins and outs of the system in the process.

chamber143
08-22-11, 12:08
LMT and colt are great choices, but i really wouldnt rule out a BCM. I have been very very impressed with the quality and the price point. I made the mistake with my first rifle...got a bushmaster and thought ignorantly that it is just as good as dumb shit..couldnt be more wrong. Seems like you are on the right track though if you are thinking lmt or colt now. Just go with one of the top 5 or so and for minimal dollars more than the commercial stuff, you will recieve a serious fighting rifle. Because no matter what you are buying an AR for, in todays climate, never underestimate what it may need to be used for. Get a good sight of some sort, and alot of ammo and shoot the shit out it. Welcome by the way.

PS- dont make the same mistake that most of us made, dont go buy alot of useless shit you dont need just because it looks cool. I have a box full of shit that i wish i could get my money back for, and i would buy more ammo, or even another rifle:D

Failure2Stop
08-22-11, 12:20
Build your own. For $1000 you could get all the necessary tools and build a better rifle at home, while learning the ins and outs of the system in the process.

Please provide the item list, including price, source, and shipping.
Unless you mean,"Buy a complete upper, BGC, stripped lower and LPK, and assemble."

Tig
08-22-11, 12:32
aiko,
I live in NC. The only dealer around sells them for quite a bit more. It is more cost effective to order them online.

Thanks for all the info guys, I really do appreciate the help. A lot of great guys in here.
NOW, the big decission. LMT or Colt. I'm leaning towards LMT, hah.
What do you guys think? Help me out.

I definately plan on getting some accessories and shoot the sh*t out of it, hah. Got a little .17 to blast away to.

As for building my own. I dont think it would be a good idea to build my first rifle. Once I get the hang of everything, how it works and shoots. Then, I'll get into one.

Thanks again fellas, I appreciate it.

120mm
08-22-11, 13:16
aiko,
I live in NC. The only dealer around sells them for quite a bit more. It is more cost effective to order them online.

Thanks for all the info guys, I really do appreciate the help. A lot of great guys in here.

I definately plan on getting some accessories and shoot the sh*t out of it, hah. Got a little .17 to blast away to.

As for building my own. I dont think it would be a good idea to build my first rifle. Once I get the hang of everything, how it works and shoots. Then, I'll get into one.

Thanks again fellas, I appreciate it.

It's easy. If the LMT is local, buy it. If not, buy the Colt and have it shipped.

There really isn't that much of a substantive difference between the two.

VIP3R 237
08-22-11, 16:33

+1 for LMT. I love mine and it's ran perfectly for me with anything i've fed it and i wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase another one. Supposedly LMT is Cryo treating their barrels now so thats a bonus. Colt it good too i just personally like LMT better for some reason.

duece71
08-23-11, 05:45
LMT all the way...I have one of their .308s. Flawless. Beautiful. Nothing more to be said.

QuietShootr
08-23-11, 07:38

ssshhh.....

aiko
08-23-11, 13:21
Tig, I live in Greenville SC, not sure where you are in NC. I bought my DD @ a local dealer for $1349. Average deal plus/minus from what I saw. Plus I got to put my hands on it and check it over. I like the LMT over the Colt, just felt better in my hands. Is there a Noveske dealer local to you?

Tig
08-23-11, 21:01
Holy crap that is a good price for a 6920. If you don't buy that or that LMT, you deserve a vigorous beating with a wet noodle.

Hah, youre too funny. Its going to be the LMT:lol:

LMT and colt are great choices, but i really wouldnt rule out a BCM. I have been very very impressed with the quality and the price point. I made the mistake with my first rifle...got a bushmaster and thought ignorantly that it is just as good as dumb shit..couldnt be more wrong. Seems like you are on the right track though if you are thinking lmt or colt now. Just go with one of the top 5 or so and for minimal dollars more than the commercial stuff, you will recieve a serious fighting rifle. Because no matter what you are buying an AR for, in todays climate, never underestimate what it may need to be used for. Get a good sight of some sort, and alot of ammo and shoot the shit out it. Welcome by the way.

PS- dont make the same mistake that most of us made, dont go buy alot of useless shit you dont need just because it looks cool. I have a box full of shit that i wish i could get my money back for, and i would buy more ammo, or even another rifle:D

I'm glad I started this thread, so I dont make any mistakes. The first AR I heald was a DDM4, the next was an LMT.
Seriously, you are correct. With everything going on the world, you just never now. What sights would you recommend?
Thanks you for the welcome, I appreciate it.

Hah, I plan on buying a sling, sight and probably some kind of lite. I have a couple of surefires, maybe they make some kind of attatchments for them.

It's easy. If the LMT is local, buy it. If not, buy the Colt and have it shipped.

There really isn't that much of a substantive difference between the two.

Well, unfortunately they will both have to be shipped. But, I htink I'm going to go with LMT:lol:

+1 for LMT. I love mine and it's ran perfectly for me with anything i've fed it and i wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase another one. Supposedly LMT is Cryo treating their barrels now so thats a bonus. Colt it good too i just personally like LMT better for some reason.

Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. Since the LMT was the second rifle I heald, I'm going to go with it. The guys at the shop had only great things to say about it.

LMT all the way...I have one of their .308s. Flawless. Beautiful. Nothing more to be said.

They are beautiful guns. LMT it is.

Tig, I live in Greenville SC, not sure where you are in NC. I bought my DD @ a local dealer for $1349. Average deal plus/minus from what I saw. Plus I got to put my hands on it and check it over. I like the LMT over the Colt, just felt better in my hands. Is there a Noveske dealer local to you?

I had gone to a local shop that carries DD, they have been listing it on sale for 1600 for over a year now. I think they are roughly 2/300 more than online shops. Most other shops dont carry LMT, DD or Colt. They all have to get them shipped in.
Hows your DD?

I'm waiting to hear back from the LMT dealer, hes going to send me the info tomorrow. I get home too late during the day so its going to be a few day process.

Later guys
Thanks again.

Tactical Joke
08-23-11, 22:32
I own RRA's and DD's, so I'll chime in even though there's a pretty strong consensus already.

Like almost everyone in this thread, I recommend you get a DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, etc. By the time you bring the RR up to snuff, you'll likely have spent more than for a quality rifle.

If you want something just so you can say you have an AR, buy what's cheap. If you want to run it like it's mean to be ran; buy once, cry once.

Evolution
08-23-11, 23:40
I had gone to a local shop that carries DD, they have been listing it on sale for 1600 for over a year now. I think they are roughly 2/300 more than online shops.
Hows your DD?

Later guys
Thanks again.

I know two shops in GA that sell DD M4V3 and 5's for under $1200.

Just have to find the right place, which, I admit, can be difficult.

Tig
08-24-11, 21:20
I own RRA's and DD's, so I'll chime in even though there's a pretty strong consensus already.

Like almost everyone in this thread, I recommend you get a DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, etc. By the time you bring the RR up to snuff, you'll likely have spent more than for a quality rifle.

If you want something just so you can say you have an AR, buy what's cheap. If you want to run it like it's mean to be ran; buy once, cry once.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I hear that "buy once, cry once".
I plan on givin it a workout when I get it.

I know two shops in GA that sell DD M4V3 and 5's for under $1200.

Just have to find the right place, which, I admit, can be difficult.

I found a couple of DDs for 1k online.
Man aint that the truth, it sure is hard o find the right place. I'm hoping the one I found the LMT at will be decent. So far he seems to be a pretty good guy, keeping in touch with me.

lethal dose
08-24-11, 21:44
Dono where in nc you are, but... if you WERE interested in building, I'd be more then obliged to assist. I'm in Greenville, SC. If you go LMT, you will be happy. The ones I've owned have never let me down. What surefires do you own?

aiko
08-24-11, 21:48
Dono where in nc you are, but... if you WERE interested in building, I'd be more then obliged to assist. I'm in Greenville, SC. If you go LMT, you will be happy. The ones I've owned have never let me down. What surefires do you own?

Lethal, where do you do your shooting in Greenville?

Tig
08-24-11, 22:00

I'm in Cary, NC. I'm going to be getting the LMT to start off. I do appreciate and probably will take you up the that offer. Heck even if we hang out and shoot, you can give me pointers and what not. As for building, I will take on that task, as soon as I run few rounds through mine. To get familiar with its action and such, its more for me mentally than anything. If that makes sense.
Surefires = E2D and M3. I found one at a gun show, it was tiny and made for a pistol. I wanted to buy it but they would not sell it to me for some odd reason. If I can find one similar, I'd probably grab it. I'm a flashlight fanatic, hah.
Thanks man

fdxpilot
08-24-11, 22:04

It sure is a good price. I have to go down to my FFL tomorrow after UPS drops off mine. $1009 delivered. Now I will have a pony to keep my DD and BCM company.

lethal dose
08-24-11, 22:21
Only been here since the end of April!
Lethal, where do you do your shooting in Greenville?

aiko
08-25-11, 06:01
Only been here since the end of April!

I just joined the Greenville Gun Glub (have not even shot there yet). Have rifle out to 300 yds, bunch of pistol and trap/skeet. If you care to accompany me one of these days after work slows a bit.

Happypupy
08-25-11, 06:27
I'm in Cary, NC. I'm going to be getting the LMT to start off.

LMT makes a fine weapon. You should take a trip to Fayeteville and visit Jims Pawn and Gun (Jims Gun Jobery). You're about an hour and half from there and if you're looking for accessories, you'll be hard pressed to find something local that stocks more of anything. They have a good selection of rifles as well at prices comparable to the internet.

There are a few places here in the Jacksonville Area that Stock DD at decent prices, but mostly we have "Tactical" shops catering to the "I have to have this for my weapon to be cool" crowd. Lots of egos and not much knowledge at these shops sadly.

Tig
08-25-11, 19:59
LMT makes a fine weapon. You should take a trip to Fayeteville and visit Jims Pawn and Gun (Jims Gun Jobery). You're about an hour and half from there and if you're looking for accessories, you'll be hard pressed to find something local that stocks more of anything. They have a good selection of rifles as well at prices comparable to the internet.

There are a few places here in the Jacksonville Area that Stock DD at decent prices, but mostly we have "Tactical" shops catering to the "I have to have this for my weapon to be cool" crowd. Lots of egos and not much knowledge at these shops sadly.

Thanks for the info. I'll google them and find out where they are.

I like Perrys Gun Shop, they are pretty cool people and they are a wealth of knowledge.

I have been thinking. The Colt comes with 2 mags strap etc,,,. The LMT only comes with one mag. Also the Colt is 30" long. Do you guys like shorter or longer setups? I kind of like short.
Thanks

lethal dose
08-25-11, 21:28
What is the barrel length of each? Stock type?

Tig
08-26-11, 13:53
lethal dose,
If I remember correctly 16" comes to mind. I'll check on that for exact numbers.

munch520
08-26-11, 14:03
Tig,

Nothing to add here that hasn't already been said...good advice all around.

But THANK YOU for asking the question first and actually listening to the responses. Amazing! Good luck with your purchase.

Tig
08-26-11, 16:18
Tig,

But THANK YOU for asking the question first and actually listening to the responses. Amazing! Good luck with your purchase.

You're welcome, hah. On a serious note, I have always had a very deep interest in firearms in general. Since our move to NC, I realized how much easier it is to purchase a firearm. After living in MA, it was little more difficult. Another drawback has been my children (4 and 16) both very curious ages. I will let them both now when the time is right.
The other thing is, I dont want to buy something and regret it. Thanks to everyone here, I have made the right choices.

Thank you for the kind words.

As for barrel length, they are both 16".

Thanks everyone for the help, its much appreciated.

Tig
08-27-11, 13:33
Well, while I search for a local FFL. I had stopped over at Dicks Sporting Goods and found a .17. After a three day hold on my info from the FBI or whoever they call. It finally cleared. I originally had them put a synthetic stock w/free floating fluted bull barrel on hold for me. Until I saw this one, then to my surprise. It was on clearance.

Its a Savage 93R17 BTVSS w/Walnut stock. I'm pretty happy,

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/992dr/DSC03238.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the differences between the Colt and LMT. The only differences seem to be what comes with them.

PaulL
08-27-11, 14:06
I wouldn't sweat the accessories. You're in a win-win situation, fortunately, and magazines are cheap. :D

Tig
08-27-11, 15:05
I wouldn't sweat the accessories. You're in a win-win situation, fortunately, and magazines are cheap. :D

That exactly what I was thinking. I found a dealer less than 2 miles from my house. Now, I just need to get in touch with them. Looks like the LMT will be here soon:D, I'll just keep my fingers crossed, hah.

lethal dose
08-27-11, 18:22
If both barrels are 16", the should be close to the same oal. At this point, you're comparing apples to apples. Buy the one with your favorite roll mark. After that, buy a good white light, a good sling, some ammo, then invite me to come sling some lead with ya. ;) Honestly, you'll be happy with either. Nice .17, BTW. Great pest round.

crazymoose
08-27-11, 19:20
RRA is not the best rifle out there, but it's also not the worst. Shoot the hell out of this one, learn the AR-15 while you're doing it, and next time, buy or build a really quality one.

I have no problem with the fact that there are companies out there making rifles that are not up to mil-spec. Not everyone has the budget for mil-spec. The problem is that for what RRA charges, you could get a rifle up to the TDP.

lethal dose
08-27-11, 19:33
RRA is not the best rifle out there, but it's also not the worst. Shoot the hell out of this one, learn the AR-15 while you're doing it, and next time, buy or build a really quality one.

I have no problem with the fact that there are companies out there making rifles that are not up to mil-spec. Not everyone has the budget for mil-spec. The problem is that for what RRA charges, you could get a rifle up to the TDP.

Read. Think. Post. :cool:

munch520
08-28-11, 08:14
Not everyone has the budget for mil-spec. The problem is that for what RRA charges, you could get a rifle up to the TDP.

Your second sentence is right, the problem is that most crappy brands aren't budget rifles. They line the walls with these at Gander, Cabellas, etc. wanting $1k and up. Then 'that guy' with the cutoff Tapout shirt and tribal tattoo comes in and pops a half chub over one, has a mini wet dream about showing it off, and buys it.

I don't fault RRA, BM, etc. for it though. If I could sell shit at a premium/crazy high margin I would too. It's the uninformed public that's to blame.

Tig
08-28-11, 09:02
If both barrels are 16", the should be close to the same oal. At this point, you're comparing apples to apples. Buy the one with your favorite roll mark. After that, buy a good white light, a good sling, some ammo, then invite me to come sling some lead with ya. ;) Honestly, you'll be happy with either. Nice .17, BTW. Great pest round.

Thanks for the info man. I'm probably going to go with the LMT.
Heck yeah, we can go pop some rounds off. I have no idea where we can go but, that would be cool.
Thanks, the .17 was an impulse buy and turned out to be a great deal because it was on clearance.

Then 'that guy' with the cutoff Tapout shirt and tribal tattoo comes in and pops a half chub over one, has a mini wet dream about showing it off, and buys it.

"That guy" would've been me, well less cutoff Tapout shirt and tribal tattoo. BUT, I did pop a chubby and have had wet dreams since I started this thread. Only becuase I feel like I have made the right decissions with the help of everyone here:lol:

Once I get it I will post pics. I'm hoping by the end of the week.

J8127
08-28-11, 09:17
I got really lucky because I bought my first AR without doing any research at all.

Fortunantly I popped half a chub to a Daniel Defense.

Blstr88
08-28-11, 10:03
I didnt read this whole thread so a lot of people have probably already suggested it...

But Daniel Defense makes a great rifle for not much more than that RRA. Infact I got a great deal on mine, my local shop had 2 left and couldnt sell them so he had them down to about $850. For $100 more than the RRA you're looking at it's a better option.

Of course it would take you a while to track down that deal, but for $1k you can get a DD easily!

Tig
08-28-11, 11:41
I got really lucky because I bought my first AR without doing any research at all.

Fortunantly I popped half a chub to a Daniel Defense.

I made a mess in my pants the first time I held the DD. Unfortunately the shop that does carry them seem to think 1600 is a deal. That is there sale price, been that for over a year. Luckily the second AR held was a LMT.

I didnt read this whole thread so a lot of people have probably already suggested it...

But Daniel Defense makes a great rifle for not much more than that RRA. Infact I got a great deal on mine, my local shop had 2 left and couldnt sell them so he had them down to about $850. For $100 more than the RRA you're looking at it's a better option.

Of course it would take you a while to track down that deal, but for $1k you can get a DD easily!

Man, if I could find one for that much, I'd be as happy as a pig in sh*t. Unfortunately, like said, they think 1600 is a deal. And the ones I found on the net only want check or money orders. That just seems a little too shady for me.
The seller of the LMT has been very responsive and had sent me some very good quality shots.
I think I will be very happy with it. Never know, the DD may be my next purchase :)

Tig
08-28-11, 13:51
Random question. I am looking at getting extra clips.
Do you guys load your clip and leave them? Is it ok to do that?
What do you guys do?

Also for a sling. Which one would you guys recommend?
I saw a few made by Magpul that looked pretty nice. One point mount. What do you guys prefer?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks

Leonidas24
08-28-11, 14:06
Random question. I am looking at getting extra clips.
Do you guys load your clip and leave them? Is it ok to do that?
What do you guys do?

Also for a sling. Which one would you guys recommend?
I saw a few made by Magpul that looked pretty nice. One point mount. What do you guys prefer?

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks

First of all it's magazines, not clips. ;)

And yes it's perfectly fine to load your mags and leave them. To store them for long periods of time loaded will not wear out the springs. Good GI mags from D&H w/ Magpul followers is a good place to start, or Magpul PMAGs.

As for slings I personally use a VTAC padded 2-point sling w/ quick detach swivels. I tried using a single point for a long time but decided to go back to the VTAC. As for mounts I use a Noveske QD receiver end plate and a VTAC LUSA on the rear most slot on my rail. I'll see what I can do about a getting a pic of my setup and sending it to you via PM.

Links to all:

Noveske QD end plate (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1363)

VTAC LUSA (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1154)

VTAC Padded 2-Point Sling (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=slings_vikingtactics)

Magpul PMAG (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=682)

fdxpilot
08-28-11, 14:14

My 6920 is here, and I'm not even going to open the bag that holds the 2 mags, sling and cleaning stuff. I'll be using PMags and I already have a sling, and plenty of cleaning stuff for 5.56. I plan to put the original shipping box and the accessory bag away in case I ever want to sell it.

08-28-11, 14:31
Probably 65% of the people that belong to M4C 'tactically' shoot their ARs on the weekend and only recommend the absolute top tier AR manufacturers. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Any AR that you will buy in 2011 (and probably any from the last 5 years at least) will be completely reliable for general range shooting and 'fun' shooting. I really don't see the need for a $2K rifle like some of the DD and BCMs unless you spend your weekends in Afghanistan, which again, most on here don't. Do you really think someone with over 1500 posts on here (Im not naming anyone in particular) is a active 'operator' or depends on a rifle to live? What do they spend every second they're 'off duty' on here trying to educate non-operators?

The massive amount of elitism on this and many other Gun websites is crazy.

Just my opinion.......

Reciprocator
08-28-11, 14:36
haha, +1 ^

ucrt
08-28-11, 14:56
Probably 65% of the people that belong to M4C 'tactically' shoot their ARs on the weekend and only recommend the absolute top tier AR manufacturers. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Any AR that you will buy in 2011 (and probably any from the last 5 years at least) will be completely reliable for general range shooting and 'fun' shooting. I really don't see the need for a $2K rifle like some of the DD and BCMs unless you spend your weekends in Afghanistan, which again, most on here don't. Do you really think someone with over 1500 posts on here (Im not naming anyone in particular) is a active 'operator' or depends on a rifle to live? What do they spend every second they're 'off duty' on here trying to educate non-operators?

Just my opinion.......

=====================================

Then, why in heaven's name do you choose to stoop so low and participate?

But maybe it's just me...

Leonidas24
08-28-11, 15:08

Just my opinion.......

No doubt, but who would you rather take advice from? Someone telling you to buy the highest quality possible because they know it will work everytime? Or the bi-monthly dirt shooter that suggests something that's "good enough?"

J8127
08-28-11, 15:17

I am inclined to agree with the premise of this, but I have seen a lot of people talk about DD, Noveske, etc... and blow their prices way out of proportion to make their point. I argued with some one on another board who was claiming RRA to be the absolute top of the line, and he called DD/Noveske "$3,000 custom guns." To a lesser extent, your $2,000 claim is also off base.

My DD was like $1100. You can get colts and bcms online for under $1,000. Christ an SR-15 isn't even 2 grand. I believe "basic" Noveskes are similar in price to DD.

A top quality AR without a ton of bells and whistles is actually not that much more than a piece of shit bushmaster, and then when you take that piece of shit bushmaster and hang the price difference in piece of shit accessories on it you compound the problem. Yea that crap is fine for the guy who shoots 50 rounds a year through it, but you don't have to be a swatmilninja to run your gun hard. Most of the people here shoot A LOT of ammo through their weapons and it doesn't need to be on the two-way range to bring out the problems with "lesser" ars.

08-28-11, 15:21
I would def love to have the highest quality rifles available, however when the OP said got a RRA people were calling it out saying its shit and BCM, Colt, LMT, etc were the only rifles of quality. I would hate to see what people would say if he got a (dare I say it) Spikes Tactical.

Any manufacturer is going to have plenty good rifles for the average American shooter.

As far as advice, everyone see what they like differently, one guy might view a RRA as complete shit, whereas the another might view a BCM $2K rifle as overpriced and maybe unnecessary for his uses.

No doubt, but who would you rather take advice from? Someone telling you to buy the highest quality possible because they know it will work everytime? Or the bi-monthly dirt shooter that suggests something that's "good enough?"

08-28-11, 15:26
I might have been offline with the prices, franky I dont really search much for them online. I know in the local stores around me, you cant touch a DD for under $1600

However once people get a T1, mount, rails and all the other heavy shit they feel is needed, you could easily have a $2500-3K gun, and again, most of those owners will likely put less than 5K rounds thru it in its life and have the rifle for the 'cool points' at the range.

I am inclined to agree with the premise of this, but I have seen a lot of people talk about DD, Noveske, etc... and blow their prices way out of proportion to make their point. I argued with some one on another board who was claiming RRA to be the absolute top of the line, and he called DD/Noveske "$3,000 custom guns." To a lesser extent, your $2,000 claim is also off base.

My DD was like $1100. You can get colts and bcms online for under $1,000. Christ an SR-15 isn't even 2 grand. I believe "basic" Noveskes are similar in price to DD.

A top quality AR without a ton of bells and whistles is actually not that much more than a piece of shit bushmaster, and then when you take that piece of shit bushmaster and hang the price difference in piece of shit accessories on it you compound the problem. Yea that crap is fine for the guy who shoots 50 rounds a year through it, but you don't have to be a swatmilninja to run your gun hard. Most of the people here shoot A LOT of ammo through their weapons and it doesn't need to be on the two-way range to bring out the problems with "lesser" ars.

QuietShootr
08-28-11, 16:35
Your opinion is quite uninformed and pedestrian.

AR15.com is that way---------------------------->

Just my opinion.......

08-28-11, 16:48
Really? How is that?

As for AR15.com, well I never participated, so I have no opinion either way.

Your opinion is quite uninformed and pedestrian.

AR15.com is that way---------------------------->

samuse
08-28-11, 17:15
So I'm under the impression that the OP is getting an LMT.

Right?

Congrats.

Tig
08-28-11, 18:18
First of all it's magazines, not clips. ;)

And yes it's perfectly fine to load your mags and leave them. To store them for long periods of time loaded will not wear out the springs. Good GI mags from D&H w/ Magpul followers is a good place to start, or Magpul PMAGs.

As for slings I personally use a VTAC padded 2-point sling w/ quick detach swivels. I tried using a single point for a long time but decided to go back to the VTAC. As for mounts I use a Noveske QD receiver end plate and a VTAC LUSA on the rear most slot on my rail. I'll see what I can do about a getting a pic of my setup and sending it to you via PM.

Links to all:

Noveske QD end plate (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1363)

VTAC LUSA (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1154)

VTAC Padded 2-Point Sling (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=slings_vikingtactics)

Magpul PMAG (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=682)

Hah, thanks for the correction. Its good to know, not sure where I heard it from. It was said that the springs wear over time with presure built on them.
Thanks for the link. I have a little reading for tonight.

My 6920 is here, and I'm not even going to open the bag that holds the 2 mags, sling and cleaning stuff. I'll be using PMags and I already have a sling, and plenty of cleaning stuff for 5.56. I plan to put the original shipping box and the accessory bag away in case I ever want to sell it.

Congrats man, thats great. Post pics when its ready.

Just my opinion.......

I appreciate your opinion.

So I'm under the impression that the OP is getting an LMT.

Right?

Congrats.

You got it. Placing my order tomorrow. First I need to stop by a local shop for there FFL info.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

richdkim77
08-28-11, 18:40

Just my opinion.......

Do more reading, less posting. Seems like 1/2 the threads you start get locked. Enjoy your Spikes. Shoot on.

DeltaSierra
08-28-11, 19:11

Overkill? Is it actually overkill to want (or in some cases need) a weapon that is made from the highest quality components?

Any AR that you will buy in 2011 (and probably any from the last 5 years at least) will be completely reliable for general range shooting and 'fun' shooting.

I have used a few of the lower end weapons, and have always been disappointed. One time I used a rifle that was so poorly made that the front sight pin wasn't even threaded properly (and therefore it was just about impossible to adjust the front sight.)

I really don't see the need for a $2K rifle like some of the DD and BCMs unless you spend your weekends in Afghanistan, which again, most on here don't.

Where are you seeing Daniel Defense and BCM rifles going for two thousand dollars?

Do you really think someone with over 1500 posts on here (Im not naming anyone in particular) is a active 'operator' or depends on a rifle to live?

Yes, I do. When you are really interested in something, you enjoy helping others to learn about whatever your interest is.

I don't have any military or law enforcement experience, but as a civilian, I volunteered my time to help instruct at our local Appleseed events for a couple years, because I enjoy helping others to learn what little bit I know.

What do they spend every second they're 'off duty' on here trying to educate non-operators?

See above comment about helping others learn something that is important to you.

Huh? I must have missed that....
This forum is geared towards professionals, not towards weekend warrior types...

Just my opinion.......

Whatever...

08-28-11, 19:17
Half the threads I start? Oh you mean the one where I asked a simple question about BCM compairing it to Spikes (I dont even own a Spikes, I just know how for some reason on this board people hate them) and a Mod in a bad mood decided to lock it?

And I do plenty of reading, thats why my post count is low.

Do more reading, less posting. Seems like 1/2 the threads you start get locked. Enjoy your Spikes. Shoot on.

08-28-11, 19:19
Hah, thanks for the correction. Its good to know, not sure where I heard it from. It was said that the springs wear over time with presure built on them.
Thanks for the link. I have a little reading for tonight.

I appreciate your opinion.

You got it. Placing my order tomorrow. First I need to stop by a local shop for there FFL info.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Enjoy your LMT, they are nice if you have the money. Just don't listen in to people who trash lower-priced brands.

Enjoy

richdkim77
08-28-11, 19:24
Enjoy your LMT, they are nice if you have the money. Just don't listen in to people who trash lower-priced brands.

Enjoy

No one is trashing your Spikes, you're the one that tried to call out people telling us this board is elitist.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63348

Is an example of why your weekend warrior shooting doesn't mesh with the culture here. Read some of the stickies.

munch520
08-28-11, 20:10
However once people get a T1, mount, rails and all the other heavy shit they feel is needed, you could easily have a $2500-3K gun, and again, most of those owners will likely put less than 5K rounds thru it in its life and have the rifle for the 'cool points' at the range.

Find a new shop, my 16" middy DD was $1279 out the door.

As for what goes on the rifle after its purchased doesn't have to add up to a small fortune. Irons, mags, light, and sling are IMO the only necessities. And that'll bring get you to another $250-300 tops. And those will cost the same no matter what rifle they go on.

So if you want to skimp on a rifle to save money for things like a T-1 or some other $600 whiz-bang...well that's dumb.

Tig
08-28-11, 20:11

Enjoy

Thanks, I'm looking forward to receiving it.

08-28-11, 20:22
No one is trashing your Spikes, you're the one that tried to call out people telling us this board is elitist.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63348

Is an example of why your weekend warrior shooting doesn't mesh with the culture here. Read some of the stickies.

I said I dont own a Spikes, I have but do not currently. I was building a upper for my brother and he wanted that done to the BC.

I never said I was a 'weekend warrior" and I definitely am not.

Why is my post becoming such a big deal to you?

As I said before, this is my opinion, I dont know why its bothering you so much as to pull up threads I started a while ago before I was more educated.

Leonidas24
08-28-11, 20:27
Just don't listen in to people who trash lower-priced brands.

It's not so much the lower price that is trashed but rather the lower quality. Both PSA and Spikes make quality weapons as far as I'm concerned. The fore mentioned Spikes bashing is because of the price jacking they did on their products right after the 2008 presidential election, or at least that is what I am aware of.

The simple fact is that companies like DPMS, RRA, BM, Olympic, and several others adhere to a much lower standard than other companies like BCM, DD, and LMT. Does this make them bad? Not necessarily. For the average weekend dirt shooter that lays down maybe 500 rounds a year they're perfectly fine. Because when they break the only casualty is Elmer's time that is spent on the range.

This board is geared towards a different mindset than the weekend shooter. It is geared towards those who might not necessarily be required to carry a rifle into harm's way, but rather want a rifle that will perform EVERY time. I've been there and done that and will not settle for "just as good as" or "good enough."

C4IGrant
08-28-11, 20:31

65%? That is pretty good (assuming they are training and not just drinking beer and making holes in the air). Most of the members on gun forums have no idea what training is and generally believe that they are "good" on knowing how to properly shoot their firearms.

If you intend to use your weapons for defense or the defense of your loved ones, I like to ask people what their life is worth? My life and the lives of my loved ones is worth a lot. YMMV.

Any AR that you will buy in 2011 (and probably any from the last 5 years at least) will be completely reliable for general range shooting and 'fun' shooting.

Not correct unless the definition of "reliable" is shooting 100rds a year.

I really don't see the need for a $2K rifle like some of the DD and BCMs unless you spend your weekends in Afghanistan, which again, most on here don't. Do you really think someone with over 1500 posts on here (Im not naming anyone in particular) is a active 'operator' or depends on a rifle to live? What do they spend every second they're 'off duty' on here trying to educate non-operators?

Just my opinion.......

Who said you needed to buy a $2k rifle? Why does everyone always use this argument??? You can get into a Colt 6920 or a BCM AR for under $1k.

I think people often confuse "elitism" with knowledge. Don't take it personally if people do not recommend the AR you own or like.

C4

polymorpheous
08-28-11, 20:35
Congrats on you LMT Tig!
Good move on your part.

I hope your thread doesn't get locked...:rolleyes:

arptsprt
08-28-11, 20:36

Enjoy

All it takes is a little due diligence consisting of a little bit of time and research (especially on this Forum) to understand the in and outs of ARs regarding such things as quality, price, etc... Yes, "lower price" is subjective but you can't honestly tell me that a Colt 6920 priced at $999 (G and R Tactical's website as we speak) is unreasonable considering the quality your getting compared to some of the lesser quality brands. Period. Oh and by the way I just purchased a new BCM rifle for less than $1K...

Furthermore, number of posts someone has on this board really has nothing to do with anything. Think quality over quantity...

Lastly, OP, LMT is a good choice. Enjoy it.

JSantoro
08-28-11, 20:54

The corollary is the massive amount of reverse elitism from derp-derps who have no problem arbitrarily assigning societal roles to 65% of any population when they're not in a position to have any idea what the demographics actually are.

Welcome, from the folks who DO what those numbers are and can tell how wrong you are in that regard.

Those arbitrary 65% you're denegrating, if they existed in that amount, are more capable of critical thought processes than you, being aware as they are as to the glaring difference between price and cost.

We could waste time making up more stupid percentages, but I'm not in the mood, so simply do not post in this thread again. And stop ringing the post-count gong; it's meaningless, except for the fact that the only reason you aren't infracted at this point is because you haven't been around long enough to have gotten any real practice on how to post here without stepping on your crank.

pleaforwar
08-28-11, 21:28
Roger, got it.

PaulL
08-28-11, 21:30
+10 INTERNETS to the OP for actually asking for advice and LISTENING. An all-too-rare occurrence these days...

JSantoro
08-28-11, 21:33
Hey guys....he got told to knock it off.

That's not a signal to internet re-enact a school of piranha attacking a bloody goat carcass.

Let's move past this, please.

Thursday
08-28-11, 23:09
Hey guys....he got told to knock it off.

That's not a signal to internet re-enact a school of piranha attacking a bloody goat carcass.

Let's move past this, please.

Uh oh somebody better call Kenny Loggins before this thread gets out of hand:laugh:

SpaceWrangler
08-29-11, 08:01
43% of all statistics are made up.

13MPG
08-29-11, 09:30
The corollary is the massive amount of reverse elitism from derp-derps who have no problem arbitrarily assigning societal roles to 65% of any population when they're not in a position to have any idea what the demographics actually are.

Welcome, from the folks who DO what those numbers are and can tell how wrong you are in that regard.

Those arbitrary 65% you're denegrating, if they existed in that amount, are more capable of critical thought processes than you, being aware as they are as to the glaring difference between price and cost.

We could waste time making up more stupid percentages, but I'm not in the mood, so simply do not post in this thread again. And stop ringing the post-count gong; it's meaningless, except for the fact that the only reason you aren't infracted at this point is because you haven't been around long enough to have gotten any real practice on how to post here without stepping on your crank.

Well said.
2238945 and Reciprocator should take stock and decide out if this is the best forum for them.

Back on track….
OP, good job asking for advice and LISTENING to the good advice that was given. The LMT will serve you well. Hopefully you will have it by the weekend. Now it’s time to start buying and burning through ammo!

fdxpilot
08-29-11, 11:37

The box arrives

http://home.comcast.net/~mfrey2/pwpimages/Colt%206920a.jpg

The new non "LE/Mil use only" rollmarks

http://home.comcast.net/~mfrey2/pwpimages/Colt%206920d.jpg

Ready to head to the range

http://home.comcast.net/~mfrey2/pwpimages/Colt%206920f.jpg

I really don't see the need for a $2K rifle like some of the DD and BCMs unless you spend your weekends in Afghanistan, which again, most on here don't. ...

Just my opinion.......

Pretty elite, huh. $1009 delivered to my FFL. Cheaper than a lot of so-so brands.
While I realize you are entitled to your opinion, it seems like it's not worth a whole lot.

lovetashoot
08-29-11, 11:56
Bought 2 RRA the day after the election for a king's ransom...just in case. Finally sold them both a few minutes ago for less than I paid. Much less. Lesson learned.

Beat Trash
08-29-11, 12:12
To the OP, you'll be happy with your LMT. Go shoot it and learn the gun. Take a class or two. Before you buy accessories, do some research, always asking yourself "why?" or "what need will this fulfill?".

I own Colt model 6920's. The most I ever paid for any of my guns is $1,050.

My guns have the following: Aimpoint RDS, Troy BUIS, MagPul MOE furniture, and Surefire G2x lights, and VCAS slings.

Each item was chosen after much testing and trial. If it doesn't fulfill a need, and actually work for me, then I don't spend my money on it.

As I type thin, I have no clue what my post count is. I could care less.

I don't "shoot tactically on weekends". I usually have to work weekends. On a busy weekend, I can find myself pointing my AR at someone who's about to make a poor life choice. I've been an inter-city LEO for the last 19 years.

Many on this site make their choices of guns and equipment because that choice of equipment can make a real world difference.

This is 2011. There are more choices in quality AR's available to the consumer then ever before. But there are also companies out there still producing crap.

turdbocharged
08-29-11, 12:14
Yeah the price and availability of the 6920s are just so hard to not pass up now.

Iraqgunz
08-29-11, 12:17
Since the OP has received an answer to his dilemma and to prevent this from becoming another "I love piece of shit AR's love fest" I think we can close it down.