PDA

View Full Version : FSB yes or no

mikeahe
08-20-11, 18:27
I am assembling parts for my next build, it will be a SHTF/HD. The only question is whether to use a FSB or not? RDS have become almost trouble free so, FSB?

Sanpete
08-20-11, 18:43
Sounds like you might already have your mind made up, but I'd keep the FSB on.

Quiet-Matt
08-20-11, 18:50
You can't beat the durability of the FSB, and I'm personally not bothered by it in my FOV.

crazymoose
08-20-11, 18:53
You can't beat the durability of the FSB, and I'm personally not bothered by it in my FOV.

Agree. The durability can't be beaten. It won't impede optics (lower 1/3 co-witness for RDS, magnified optics the FSB will blur out), so there really isn't a downside, unless of course you want a really long rail.

survivorman
08-20-11, 21:14
keep it on and shave it down

C4IGrant
08-20-11, 21:16
Yes.

C4

jet80tv
08-20-11, 22:23
There must be a reason why I have seen very few pics of soldiers, LEO's with flip front sights or railed gas block mounted flips. Flip up rear sights, yes. They have rails capable of mounting front flip ups yet continue to use FSB. I like the fact that it's taper pinned, that sumbitch ain't comin off ;)

cougar_guy04
08-20-11, 22:36
Unless it's some sort of SPR or 3-gun type build I'm doing, I prefer the FSB. I say yes to the FSB.

hotrodder636
08-20-11, 22:43
I think the reason a lot of folks take it off is for looks. If you are building this as a SHTF carbine it should definitely be thee as a tried and true backup if you are running an optic. I personally think it is silly to remove the FSB for looks as said above it is tried and true.

johnson
08-21-11, 00:14
Depends on the gas system and/or handguard choice. But like you said with optic durability the way it is these days, I wouldn't be worried if I chose to use flip up sights.

BCmJUnKie
08-21-11, 00:28
This helped me make up my mind

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83039

nimdabew
08-21-11, 01:03
My go-to rifle has a FSB and my fun gun has a flip up front.

GeorgiaBoy
08-21-11, 01:05
Yes to FSB.

opmike
08-21-11, 02:40
Properly assembled with quality components, I don't think you're going to run into any issues with either approach.

That said, it's kind of hard to beat the durability and simplicity of an FSB.

JW1069
08-21-11, 10:16
I like the dumb as rocks approach to BUIS on my go-to rifles so the FSB stays on. It has yet to give me any problems used in conjuction with a quality RDS with either absolute or 1/3 co-witness. No one will eat your lunch if you decided on a longer rail and a folding front BUIS.

One thing to note about "what mil/LE" uses: those decisions generally get handed down from guys with budgets and old school philosophies. Base your decision on your own needs, not theirs.

chamber143
08-21-11, 14:39
As for me i say leave the sum bitch on. I screwed up and took one off and misplaced it and wish i could take the flip up off and put the fsb back on. On my HD/SHTF rifle it stays on. One less thing to worry about if you actually have to use it...I for one like not having to wonder if the flip up may have just twisted when i hit it on that wall i was climbing over. Just me i guess.

ares armor
08-21-11, 17:18
yes + a set of carbine extended rails. I have used the DD ones and the Troy ones both are great.

mikeahe
08-21-11, 20:02
I will be using a CENTURION ARMS14.5 “ Mid Length, Light Weight CHF Barrel. It isn't available with a fsb.

johnson
08-21-11, 20:07
Then what was the point of this thread?

I believe Centurion comes with the FSB as standard, extra $50 if you want a pinned low profile gas block. If not, I can recommend a dealer you can go through.

hotrodder636
08-21-11, 20:16
This thread was like asking "should I get a standard bed or long bed truck?" after you just ordered the standard and then asking people which one you should get.....I am confused.....:confused:

mikeahe
08-21-11, 20:57
I was trying to decide it was worth paying ADCO $150.00 to put one on.

Rusty_Shackleford
08-21-11, 21:11
It's all personal preference and I prefer the FSB but it's not essential. A quality flip sight is going to be pricey too and then you still have to purchase a gas block, food for thought........ ;)

johnson
08-21-11, 23:07
Do you already have the barrel?

J8127
08-22-11, 05:36
There must be a reason why I have seen very few pics of soldiers, LEO's with flip front sights or railed gas block mounted flips. Flip up rear sights, yes. They have rails capable of mounting front flip ups yet continue to use FSB. I like the fact that it's taper pinned, that sumbitch ain't comin off ;)

Yea, the reason is that they were issued a rifle with a FSB.

Because it's SHTF/HD, I would say FSB.

Dave L.
08-22-11, 05:58
I think the FSB is the smarter choice overall. Less money, more durability, less moving parts.

I own a couple long-railed guns with front flip-ups, but at $100+ per sight... it really is a waste of money.

This past Saturday I ordered an upper from BCM with...(pause for drama)... a fixed FSB.

mkmckinley
08-22-11, 07:42
I guess I'm going to go against the grain and say I don't like the FSB. I like the long tube type handguards and I don't know of one that has a FSB cut for a mid-length barrel. I've never had to use a BUIS when running an Aimpoint and BUIS are just not that high of a priority for me. I'm not convinced the added ruggedness of the FSB is worth the disadvantages. FWIW we've been using Mk-18s for a couple years now and haven't had any problems with the rail mounted front BUIS in real world, daily, hard military use.

mikeahe
08-22-11, 08:49
Yes I have the barrel.

:)Thanks to all for the advice.

Cazwell
08-22-11, 11:16
I like the long tube type handguards and I don't know of one that has a FSB cut for a mid-length barrel. .

Don't DD and Troy offer this? My understanding is that the DD rail for the midlength has the cut out for the FSB, but that it isn't set up such that you can run a light at 12 o'clock like you can on the carbine version... which is a bummer, as I think that is a loss of one of the advantages. A bummer for guys like me who want long rails and FSB's.

Biggy
08-22-11, 12:25
I will be using a CENTURION ARMS14.5 “ Mid Length, Light Weight CHF Barrel. It isn't available with a fsb.

I know the FSB option isn't listed in the option block when ordering but I think it is still might be available from Centurion Arms. I would call or email them and find out for sure. The only thing I don't like about the standard FSB is it gets hot, so wear gloves. Maybe someone will eventually come up with a lightweight, heat resistant injection moulded shroud for the FSB. IMHO any bolt on flip-up or fixed front sight on a railed forend will not be as durable or retain zero as well as one pinned to the barrel. I think bolt on flip-up or fixed front sights coming off a monolitic upper might do a little better than a bolt on rail but still not equal to the barrel pinned FSB.