PDA

View Full Version : would a tactical carbine class interest you if you can use 22 kits?

Ring
08-20-11, 20:49
to save $ these days of high ammo prices, would a class allowing students to use 22 conversion kits "CMMG, Ciner" as long as you have 20+ round mags and 3 or more... and 22lr guns like the MP 15-22 and Sig Sauer 522 SWAT 22 be good?

does that peak your interest?

C4IGrant
08-20-11, 21:02
to save $ these days of high ammo prices, would a class allowing students to use 22 conversion kits "CMMG, Ciner" as long as you have 20+ round mags and 3 or more... and 22lr guns like the MP 15-22 and Sig Sauer 522 SWAT 22 be good?

does that peak your interest?

.22's can be used with good results, but not with all things.

Most of your "good" carbine classes are under 300rds a day. That really isn't that much coin.

C4

bodyarmorguy
08-20-11, 22:22
It could be fun

Stonebridge
08-20-11, 22:33
It'd be great if you let the 9mm rifle guys play too in the .22lr class.

Ring
08-20-11, 22:41
It'd be great if you let the 9mm rifle guys play too in the .22lr class.

dont see why not.... but a long stick mag might be hard from prone

crossgun
08-21-11, 09:05
Might be something fun to do in the dead of winter. Pending the 22 AR there are just issue that prevent true AR handling.

Worked with Grant in the past in an informal indoor night where we basically worked more on drills and tactics rather than the platform.

Problem I fore see is the train wreck that will come from guys with guns that done run seeing the 22 can really suck pending the conversion. Plan on down time.

Look at getting a 5.45 upper if you really want to save on ammo cost.

QuietShootr
08-21-11, 09:47
I could see it working very well as long as you restrict it to M&Ps or other guns that completely duplicate function and are KNOWN to run. A class full of Ceiner kits sounds like a colossal pain in the ass.

subzero
08-21-11, 11:36
It's hard to look at the 22lr as anything other than a fun toy. Just because it's shaped liked a military rifle doesn't really change that.

My interest would be piqued if the instructor were savvy enough to tailor the class and drills to the limitations of the 22 kit. That is, we all acknowledge off of the bat that we're not getting full quality in terms of practice with recoil control and weapons handling due to the differences between the kit and the real thing.

I wonder what we'd be learning at that point. Is the class now a tactics class vice a shooting fundamentals class?

That having been said, AIM has Wolf 500 rd cases for less than $100 each.