PDA

View Full Version : Basic mods to 1960's vintage NIB 1911 to make it reliable?

Clarkm
08-20-11, 22:06
If I start out with a 1960's vintage new in the box 1911 (prior to the series 70), what reasonable modifications / upgrades would you suggest in order to make it reliable for concealed carry? I am satisfied with 230 grain ball ammo, so I am hoping to avoid any major remodeling to get hollow points to feed. Do the extractor and ejector need to go? Recoil spring? Firing pin and firing pin spring?

You may think it silly, but I am thinking to use a WWI commemorative 1911 from 1967. The price is reasonable, and there are plenty of them around so loss of collector value is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

wetidlerjr
08-21-11, 06:20
I would run two or three hundred rounds through it to see if it needs anything. As for HPs, you might need a good 'smith to do a throat job as older Colts sometimes don't feed them well. Also, many 'smiths offer a "reliability" package that could be what you need but, again, shoot it first. :cool:

7PI
08-21-11, 10:25
I would run two or three hundred rounds through it to see if it needs anything. As for HPs, you might need a good 'smith to do a throat job as older Colts sometimes don't feed them well. Also, many 'smiths offer a "reliability" package that could be what you need but, again, shoot it first. :cool:
I agree!

Shoot it first with the same ammunition and magazines you plan to use on a regular basis. The gun will tell you what it needs.

MarshallDodge
08-21-11, 10:49
Shooting first is always a good idea and I will throw out a few suggestions-

Lower the ejection port and have the barrel throated.

Get some high quality mags.

Use ammo such as Winchester Ranger T that's shape resembles a round nosed bullet.

WillBrink
08-21-11, 11:17
You may think it silly, but I am thinking to use a WWI commemorative 1911 from 1967. .

Built in 1967? Honestly, I wouldn't have the heart to modify that gun. I'd buy a SA GI slightly used and use that as mu base gun and keep the other as is. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

What to modify is really up to you. Me, when I got into 1911s, I shot a stock plain Jane gun for a while so that I learned what I personally liked and didn't like, wanted/didn't want, etc.

I think that helped a lot and saved a lot and so forth. Then, once I felt I had a handle on what a 1911 should be to me, my intended uses, etc, I had something built for me exactly to what I wanted and could only learn from putting rnds down range over time using a stock Government 1911.

Striker
08-21-11, 13:02
Sights. I have a Colt from that era as well. If yours is anything like mine, the sights are just bumps on the slide. I don't have the heart to do what you're about to do, so mine sits in the safe with an occasional Sunday drive. I have shot it a few times and it seems to function fine with 230 grain ball ammo, but I've never run it really hard either. After putting new sights on it, I would run five hundred plus rounds of ball through it and if it functions fine, you should be good. Since ball is your chosen ammo, That should be about it. If it doesn't function fine, you'll need to look at a good 1911 smith to do reliability work to it.

Dunderway
08-21-11, 13:57
If it's NIB with matching box, I would sell and purchase a more modern Colt and still have money left over.

If no,t most custom shops offer a "reliability" or "defense" package that will generally include throating and polishing the barrel, lowering the ejection port, tuning the extrator and ejector, etc. Even high end smiths seem to offer a package like this at very reasonable prices.

fixit69
08-21-11, 14:53
There's an echo in here. Yes, shoot it, sights, polish/reliability work. Possible trigger work in that package also.

There is something to be said about stock guns in original configuration. Have a few. By if you are seriously thinking about carry with it, see above.

And BTW, a shooter is better than a safe queen every day and twice on Sunday.

Dienekes
08-24-11, 18:51
Decent trigger, decent (fixed) sights, good mags. It was GTG in the late 60s and still is. For that matter my first gun was an unmodified GI Remington Rand; it's now 68 years old and I still trust it.

samuse
08-24-11, 20:47
If you want to use ball ammo, don't change a thing.

Get some Chip McCormick mags and rock on.

CAVDOC
08-25-11, 09:44
the smallish gi syle sights are tough to use- replacing them which also means dovetailing the slide would be a consideration. other than that shoot it with your ammo of choice- if it works don't mess with anything else

Gunut
08-25-11, 16:52
like everyone said ( shoot it )
1911s are like rabbits , it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep it stock
and buy something else with all the bells and glitter

Lincoln7
08-25-11, 20:53
the smallish gi syle sights are tough to use- replacing them which also means dovetailing the slide would be a consideration.

Agreed that GI sights are tiny and hard to use but dovetailing is not necessary. Rear swapped out with drift punch and hammer, front pulled off and new one staked on with propper tool. Much cheaper and easier this way.

samuse
08-25-11, 21:56
It's a concealed carry gun.

I wouldn't worry about the sights.

Beck1911
08-26-11, 15:22
I would leave it alone and shoot ball ammo... I rare event of needing for self defense.. Have really good quality ball... Good enough for some Marine Recon even today. Cool gun buy the way I like your idea in value

CAVDOC
08-27-11, 10:22
I've had more than one staked in front sight fly off while shooting- I'll dovetail mine!
staking even when properly done, is a marginal method of front sight retention.

Sam
08-27-11, 11:10
A Harrison Design "retro" rear sight and a front post with either tritium insert or gold bead will be good for your carry gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/CT-401003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/colt1.jpg

Littlelebowski
08-27-11, 17:13
It's a concealed carry gun.

I wouldn't worry about the sights.

Do you shoot your concealed carry weapon at the range?

one
08-27-11, 17:23
This is an interesting thread. It takes me back to my life in the 80's as a kid when I shot and carried 1911's more than anything. Back in those days it was all 100% box stock guns. Mostly the same story for me in the 1990's as well. I no more had access to custom parts and upgrades than I did NASA shuttle flight control. Only thing that might count was a set of Millett replacement sights on a stainless Series 80 Colt. And those came on the gun when I got it used.

Dunderway
08-29-11, 21:49
I've had more than one staked in front sight fly off while shooting- I'll dovetail mine!

Agree completely. Many good shops will cut a dovetail and provide a Novak front sight for less than staking, and much less than purchsing a quality staking tool and front sight to DIY. You will also have an amazing selection of new sights as opposed to buying what will most likely be NOS from the 1970s. There is good reason that staked front sights fell out of favor 25 years ago or so.

Dunderway
08-29-11, 21:53

I Agree completely. Many good shops will cut a dovetail and provide a Novak front sight for less than staking, and much less than purchasing a quality staking tool and front sight to DIY. You will also have an amazing selection of new sights as opposed to buying what will most likely be NOS from the 1970s. There has to be a good reason why staked front sights fell out of favor 25 years ago or so.

Lincoln7
08-30-11, 06:58
I Agree completely. Many good shops will cut a dovetail and provide a Novak front sight for less than staking, and much less than purchasing a quality staking tool and front sight to DIY. You will also have an amazing selection of new sights as opposed to buying what will most likely be NOS from the 1970s. There has to be a good reason why staked front sights fell out of favor 25 years ago or so.

It was good enough for the MEU SOC's...

I'm sure my opinion will change quickly after I have one fall out. Nicely dovetailed sights are quite attractive, too.

Dienekes
08-30-11, 20:11
I did a 250 class at Gunsite back in 1989. We had a couple of Force Recon Marines in the class with issue 1911s. I'm all for better sights, triggers, etc., but those "kids" blew everyone's doors off with those old clunkers.

It ain't necessarily the gun.

Dunderway
08-30-11, 21:08
It was good enough for the MEU SOC's...

I'm sure my opinion will change quickly after I have one fall out. Nicely dovetailed sights are quite attractive, too.

I'm not an expert on the platform, but I believe the new(er) MEU SOC pistols had/have a dovetailed Novak front sight. So maybe it was only good enough until something better came along. Those first pistols were probably built when a Millet stake-on was one of the best options available.

Dunderway
08-30-11, 21:11
I did a 250 class at Gunsite back in 1989. We had a couple of Force Recon Marines in the class with issue 1911s. I'm all for better sights, triggers, etc., but those "kids" blew everyone's doors off with those old clunkers.

It ain't necessarily the gun.

I believe it, but luckily I am no longer tied to MIL issued clunkers. When I can buy something better for the same price or even cheaper, I have at it.:D

ETA: Just out of curiosity, were they using GI 1911A1s or a modified (Pachmayrs, beavertail, etc.) version?

jtsikes0204
09-08-11, 11:46
From 67? whew.....idk if wouldnt just by something else to fix up!:)

Redmanfms
09-15-11, 20:43
Leave it in the box, buy a new repro Series 70 and send it to a 'smith. Several great wizards of 1911 smithery contribute their knowledge here and I'd start with them. I happen to like Berryhill's BFP.

Pre-Series 70 Government Models aren't at all uncommon, they can be had in varying conditions for very reasonable prices if one shops around. You can start with one of them if you don't want a "modern" gun. NIB is quite rare though, leave it NIB for posterity.

SteveS
09-17-11, 15:23
I agree!

Shoot it first with the same ammunition and magazines you plan to use on a regular basis. The gun will tell you what it needs.

Yes see how the pistol works before messing with it.

wilsoncombatrep
09-19-11, 17:03
Older Colts have magazines with fully tapered lips that are set up to run hardball only.

Before doing anything else find some recent vintage magazines (cough cough) with more parallel lips and see what you get.

You may be surprised.

It wasn't until the 1970's that Colt's 1911's started having wholesale reliability problems.