View Full Version : Africa anyone?

Rob Haught
08-20-11, 22:48
Anyone on M4 interested, or have hunted Africa? Let's hear some Safari tales

Rob

Belmont31R
08-20-11, 22:58
Interested but never been.

You got to be extra careful in previously safe destinations like Zimbabwe with the "land reforms", and increasingly so in South Africa. Tanzania would still be a pretty safe bet along with Botswana.

Bongo is my dream hunt. For whatever reason those forest hunts around that area tend to be run by French PH's, and they are much more difficult than savanna hunts for common game like Kudu.

1st for me would be a woodland hunt for Bongo with a .375 HH.

2nd would be a Cape Buff in Tanzania with a 500NE SxS.

kmrtnsn
08-20-11, 23:14
I have photo-safaried Amboseli, Tsavo, and Arusha in Tanzania. Took a week, had a great time, re-living British colonial life. I highly recommend it.

Clarkm
08-20-11, 23:39
15 elephants (1 bull, 14 cows), 4 cape buffalo, plus the plains game.

The cost adds up. Don't go until you are out of debt (including paying your house off).

The challenge with elephant hunting is to get as close as possible before shooting. My closest was 6 yards in full charge. My closest cape buffalo was 9 yards.

Reagans Rascals
08-21-11, 01:46
I have no want or need to go to Africa... the amount of unstable regimes there, coupled with the rampant way in which AIDS has ravaged that continent, and even ignoring all of these facts... there are still bugs there that live in your skin to gestate.... no thank you Africa... or South America for that matter

I would compare a trip to Africa like a nice day trip to Iran... do you think you'll come back alive?

J-Dub
08-21-11, 07:47
There is a guy over on shotgunworld that did a bird hunting safari in SA. Looked awesome, i didnt know that they had upland birds over there....but they have a ton.

Abraxas
08-21-11, 08:00
I would love to go on a hunt in Africa. I even know a guy from South Africa who has friends that run hunts over there, but I dont have the time or coin.

MeanRider
08-21-11, 10:54
Been all over Africa but unfortunatly have never had a chance to do any hunting. Yes Africa is a dump in most places but others ie North and South it is not so bad,

If you worry about Aids don't stick it wear it don't belong, the biggest thing to worry usually is Maleria, take your Doxia and use bug netting. keep some hand sanitiser, and do not drink anything that was not bottled.

But any place that does large game hunting is going to be run more often than not by a Colonial and your accomadations will be vastly superior to any of the local area.

I would not fear Africa just respect it and do some research and be prepared.

And yes I am there now.

High Tower
08-21-11, 14:49
Never have been there, but I am dying to go. Even if its just a cull hunt for plains animals.

Rob Haught
08-21-11, 19:20
I've had three great South Africa hunts so far. I've made great friends and contacts there. If anyone would like contact info on a couple good outfitters for a plains game hunt you can PM me. The camps are well appointed there and I never once felt insecure. The outfitters I used were all IDPA shooters and we were able to get our handguns in and had them with us all the time. The south Africans are great folks and the hospitality first rate. You can do a ten day hunt for about the price of a guided elk hunt here so it's not totally out of reach.

Clarkm
08-21-11, 23:41
[self-promotion mode: on]

For the fellows interested in African hunting, here are some things I wrote pertaining to my own hunts.

A. Hunting elephant with the .505 Gibbs

http://africanhuntermag.com/HUNTING%20ELEPHANT%20WITH%20.505%20GIBBS.pdf

B. Hunting elephant with the .585 Nyati:

http://www.huntnetwork.net/modules/wfsection/html/Ahhunting%20Elephant%20With%20the%20.585%20Nyati.pdf

C. Elephant hunt with Buzz Charlton (866 elephant seen, 6 elephant shot):

http://www.accuratereloading.com/dmhunt05.html

D. Big bore calibers for African hunting:

http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/

F. Comparison of expanding bullets (shot into African game carcasses):

http://bigfivehq.com/softs.pdf

G. Bullet nose shape and penetration depth:

http://www.huntnetwork.net/modules/wfsection/html/Ahdangerous%20Game%2011%20No%201.pdf

[self-promotion mode: off]

http://www.accuratereloading.com/dm5.jpg

ccoker
08-27-11, 11:50
Rob,
Have you been over there will Bill Wilson?

He hunts all over the world as you know and told his most memorable hunt was taking a male lion at day break with a 44 mag and putting a 300g solid right between his eyes !

He got it on the last morning of the hunt after hunting for like 30 days in the bush and ended up spending the last night in the blind

I have never been and doubt I would ever be able to afford to go

Rob Haught
08-28-11, 21:16
Coker,
Yes I've hunted in South Africa with Bill on his property there. We had a great hunt. Talk to Bill about it, I'm sure it's not out of reach.

Rob

ccoker
08-29-11, 07:11
when my son and I got to hunt with him on his place in northeast Texas for hogs it was one of the highlights of my hunting life

Rob Haught
08-29-11, 10:34
Bill has the ultimate hunters retreat in TX. Anyone interested in a great pig hunt with all the trimmings should check out www.circlewcranch.com I had a great time there and will be going back again this spring.

handlebar1980
08-31-11, 20:56
looks like alot of fun, someday maybe

yellowfin
09-26-11, 23:49
I have no want or need to go to Africa... the amount of unstable regimes there, coupled with the rampant way in which AIDS has ravaged that continent, and even ignoring all of these facts... there are still bugs there that live in your skin to gestate.... no thank you Africa... or South America for that matter

I would compare a trip to Africa like a nice day trip to Iran... do you think you'll come back alive?Precisely the reasons I don't want to go. It's a shame really that with all of the progress civilization has made elsewhere in the world they've managed to go or remain completely in the sewer, probably worse than they've ever been. Why do people have to ruin places so much? Boston, L.A., Israel, Egypt, Cuba, Venezuela, and sub Saharan Africa are all places I'd love to go for where they are, but never will because of the people making problems there.

afff_667
09-27-11, 08:23
Hunting Africa is my dream trip if for no other reason than to simply see it. I just want to see it.

I've thought about going there all of my life and have read and researched, created file folders of info, etc, but I fear that it's a dream never to be realized.

Rob Haught
09-27-11, 08:34
Hunting Africa is my dream trip if for no other reason than to simply see it. I just want to see it.

I've thought about going there all of my life and have read and researched, created file folders of info, etc, but I fear that it's a dream never to be realized.

I was mine as well. Dont give up on it.

Rob

Pork Chop
09-27-11, 09:10

This is me too.

My brother & I have been talking about something like this for 10 years, but it will likely never happen. I enjoy reading the experiences of others here though.

Thanks guys!!

TomD
09-27-11, 13:46
You can do a decent plains game (antelope) hunt in Africa for LESS than a trophy whitetail here in Texas. Hunting here is beyond my pay grade & I am adequately compensated! While I'm ranting, it is beyond me that anyone would pay to shoot feral hogs. The landowners should be paying to have them shot!

afff_667
09-27-11, 14:15
I may have to dust off the Africa files, then....dammit. I gave up hunting in Texas about ten years ago after my old man sold the family ranch out from under me. We had a nice place in Mills County with deer, turkey, dove, and quail. Shit happens, I reckon.

But, yeah...the Africa thing deserves another look. Any place in particular for plains game?

Rob Haught
11-02-11, 14:57
I have some very good contacts in South Africa with excellent plains game hunting. Affordable and comfortable accomodations. If you are interested in more info feel free to contact me.

Rob

Belmont31R
11-02-11, 15:02
You can do a decent plains game (antelope) hunt in Africa for LESS than a trophy whitetail here in Texas. Hunting here is beyond my pay grade & I am adequately compensated! While I'm ranting, it is beyond me that anyone would pay to shoot feral hogs. The landowners should be paying to have them shot!

This is something Ive never understood here. They complain about the things tearing their crops up and then expect you to pay them to remove their problem. Its like me charging a pest exterminator to come remove a bee hive or ant colony from my yard.

If they want to treat the pigs on their property as a commodity to be sold (hunting for a fee) then they shouldn't be complaining about the damage they are causing. They should be breeding them and encouraging more to come for more hunters.

RyanB
11-02-11, 20:16
I hunted in Namibia 13 months ago. Will go again. It's unlike anything I've ever done in the states. Took 11 head of big game. Would have been 20 but I had a zero issue, went cold and missed Jackal and Baboons and a Warthog.

Shabazz
12-06-11, 11:31
THe more affordable hunts in Africa tend to be game farms or even canned hunts. Do your due diligence.

RyanB
12-06-11, 12:21
That is true in RSA perhaps but how big does the fenced area have to be before its sporting again? The Save is 700,000 acres behind high fence, IIRC, who would call that a canned hunt?

Rob Haught
01-06-13, 20:23
My friend Johan Human of Buffelspan Safaris will be visiting the US in two weeks. We plan on having some get togethers for folks interested in hunting South Africa. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the experience of going there to hunt you are welcome to join us. As soon as I get a firm date (s) I will post them and location. There will be probably three areas Marietta OH, Akron OH area and New Martinsville, WV that we will be getting together.
Feel free to contact me directly if you are interested.

FChen17213
01-06-13, 22:52
Canned Hunts :sad:

Hunting threatened species like lion and elephant. :sad:
The poor boys and girls just want to eat and survive in this harsh world. How could anyone hurt a pretty lioness or regal male lion?

Now taking down species that are ample like wildebeest and cape buffalo is a different story. Particularly for food. The cape buffalo is actually responsible for more human deaths than all the meat eaters combined to the best of my knowledge. Just like hunting deer or bird here, by all means go ahead and eat. But why hurt a threatened species unless it really is self defense?

RyanB
01-07-13, 00:32
Hunting is the best thing for them. It gives each animal monetary value rather than making them pests.

Rattlehead
01-07-13, 01:07
My friend Johan Human of Buffelspan Safaris will be visiting the US in two weeks. We plan on having some get togethers for folks interested in hunting South Africa. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the experience of going there to hunt you are welcome to join us. As soon as I get a firm date (s) I will post them and location. There will be probably three areas Marietta OH, Akron OH area and New Martinsville, WV that we will be getting together.
Feel free to contact me directly if you are interested.

My dad went hunting in South Africa with Bill Wilson back around 87, and later with Cameron Hopkins, then multiple other times by himself (with a guide). I know he loved going there, and would love to go again. Unfortunately at this point in time it's a little out of our price range.

JackyYeung
01-07-13, 11:03
=

Give the animals an economic value and the locals will preserve them. Take away the economic value and the locals will eat them.

Rob Haught
01-07-13, 18:35
Neither the Elephant or Lion are endangered. In most places the Elephant numbers far exceed the capacity of the habitat to suppport them and they are destroying the land. The only way that a wildlife species will continue to exist in modern Africa is for it to pay its own way. Only by having value will they be managed and sustained for the future. Lion hunting is being self regulated by the outfitters to only take mature lions that are not attatched to prides and have already passed along thier genes to the next generations.

J-Dub
01-08-13, 10:19
The poor boys and girls just want to eat and survive in this harsh world. How could anyone hurt a pretty lioness or regal male lion?

How? Well you take a fine double rifle and put two rounds in the boiler room...

Will I ever have the cash to go to Africa? Probably not, heck I probably wont ever have enough to buy a fine double rifle to use in Africa.

But if I did have the $$$$ you bet i'd be there on the next plane!

hilpala
01-08-13, 21:04
My Dad's been on a couple safaris but has yet to hunt there. His business partner if from Kenya so they have the inside track so to speak.

usmc1371
01-09-13, 16:47
I dream of hunting Africa pretty much on a dailily basses. But, until I can afford it I will just keep hunting local game with "African" rifles. I want to hunt cape buf so bad I can taste it so I keep saving my pennies and hoping. And practicing.

Plains game.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/doe375.jpg

Dangerous game.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/coyote375.jpg
CZ 550 safari Mag 375 H&H

Rob Haught
03-04-13, 18:51
Just pulled the trigger on a 21 day hunt in July. Going back to South Africa to hunt with Buffelspan Safaris. Now comes the fun part, deciding which rifle to take this time. I believe I will give the 9.3x62 a try this trip. We also plan on a side trip into Kruger Natl Park to do some sight seeing.

swiftone
03-04-13, 20:52
Taken outside Harare, Zim - one of my favorite places on earth. I have done night time walking safaris with camera in Zim/SA and Mozambique.

Oh yea – and the Castle Lager….:smile:

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y345/fastswift1/IMG_0586.jpg

FChen17213
03-20-13, 22:05
Awesome. That lion cub is so cute and beautiful. Lions are on the threatened list although I think they should be classified as endangered. There are less than 20,000 lions left in the wild now. Back in the mid 1900s, there were as many as 500,000. Habitat loss is the biggest reason for the decline in animal populations. I wish people were more friendly and considerate to animals.

J-Dub
03-22-13, 20:14
Awesome. That lion cub is so cute and beautiful. Lions are on the threatened list although I think they should be classified as endangered. There are less than 20,000 lions left in the wild now. Back in the mid 1900s, there were as many as 500,000. Habitat loss is the biggest reason for the decline in animal populations.

There are over 7 billion people on earth now. All I have to say is WTF??!! Do we really need this many people? Can people stop having so many damn kids around the world? Are people so species-centric and egotistical that we can't share this planet? Just how selfish and humanistic have we gotten?

Look at what has happened to the black rhino and the Bengal Tiger. Asian herbal medicines that have no scientific basis that are more like witchcraft than anything else has practically driven these animals to extinction. Because people are willing to pay top dollar for Siberian Tiger bones and Rhino horns, poachers are willing to hunt these endangered animals to extinction just so that some uneducated retard in China can get his "herbal medicine" that has no scientific basis of working.

Although, 99% of the people on this board don't agree, I think hunting should be for food and legitimate uses, not entertainment. I'm all for hunting and eating what you kill. Heck, you people see what goes on at meat factories? Hunting is a thousand times more humane. What a detest is hunting just to shoot animals. In my opinion, that's like the movie Surviving the Game or the short story The Most Dangerous Game. Animals are like children....poor children who are more or less defenseless against us. We are the cruelest, most diabolical apex predator monsters to ever walk this earth. Make no mistake about it. Then people take joy in murdering that poor lion or bull elephant just minding his own business.

Then Johnny from the US flies over to Africa with a rifle and shoots him as mere entertainment because Johnny is human, rich, and paid an African guide a large sum of money. That's who we really are.

Hmmm theres a lot of full on retard in your post.....where to begin....

So let me get this straight, you are sooooo uninfromed that you believe a wealthy person going to Africa to hunt is bad? Really? So you think adding value to wild animals is bad? You dont think that if the people of Africa realize that their naitive natural resources are worth something they wont take care of them?

Well then you're an idiot. That wealthy hunter is not only putting money into the African economy, he's also aiding conservation of wild animals as the naitive people/governments are realizing that their animals are worth something. Which usually means they are going to take measure to protect them to ensure they are around for a long time...not to mention how many mouths one evil hunter killed elephant can feed...(but what would you care, you believe evil humans shouldnt eat at all, it would hurt the enviroment too much)

Now on to your eugenics globalistic bullshit about over population. How about this moron, since the world is so ****ing over populated why dont you take the first step in solving the problem...................

So what, do you want forced abortions and mass genocide? Would that make you happy? What is YOUR ideal global population?

While I realize you are a globalist scum sucking parasite thats been brainwashed to believe animals are more important than human beings, I still get a chuckle from "that poor lion or bull elephant" line lol. Why dont you go over there and make friends with them....oh wait, you couldnt because they would either eat you, or stomp your brains out. "animals are like childern"? WTF? Are you high? Animals are absolutely NOTHING LIKE CHILDREN.

So which liberal cess pool do you live in? Cali or CO?...maybe NY.

FChen17213
03-22-13, 21:02
Ok then. I think we should get back on topic and not hijack Mr. Haught's original thread any further.

Rob Haught
07-09-13, 23:43
One week out. A lot of planning and prep goes into a hunt and Tom and I have put the work in.
I will be using a Ruger Hawkeye African model in 9.3x62 that was tweaked at Wilson Combat.
I'm quite impressed with this caliber/ rifle combo and it may become my all around hunting rifle.
I've seen some of the other posts since I started, and a lot of misplaced emotion about the relationship between hunting and the animals exists. I don't apologize for being a hunter. My trophy fees and license fees help fund conservation and education in these developing areas without which the animals would soon disappear due to poaching and loss of habitat. The hunting industry provides jobs for thousands of workers who in turn support extended families.
It is a tradition handed down through the generations.

SeriousStudent
07-10-13, 00:00
Have a safe trip Chief, and be sure to show us pictures when you return. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them.

lethal dose
07-10-13, 00:09
Mr. Haught, I hope your trip yields great success. Very interesting caliber choice. I understand where you're coming from in reference to the "haters." People need to take a step back and look at the whole picture. Either way, God bless you on your trip. Be safe and take pics!

RyanB
07-10-13, 01:07
Good luck. Don't hesitate to shoot once the guide says go. Rack the bolt right away and be ready to go again. Have fun!

Pork Chop
07-10-13, 08:57
Can't wait to see pictures and read your commentary upon return.

Be safe.

Rob Haught
07-10-13, 18:33
Thanks guys!

Rob Haught
07-30-13, 05:52
Halfway through the safari. We are having an exceptionally good hunt. I realized a lifelong dream and took a nice Cape Buffalo. My partner Tom got his Sable. Two days in Kruger Park and now have a week left to hunt. Life is good!

SeriousStudent
07-30-13, 23:16
Mbogo!

That's great, I'm glad to hear you are having a good time. I can't wait to see the pictures when you get back, Chief.

J-Dub
08-20-13, 11:06
Halfway through the safari. We are having an exceptionally good hunt. I realized a lifelong dream and took a nice Cape Buffalo. My partner Tom got his Sable. Two days in Kruger Park and now have a week left to hunt. Life is good!

Please tell me you're going to make a thread documenting your Safari!

Also we need a run down on the rifles you took, details man! details!.

Oh ya, don't forget to get a few sweet shots of those bad-a land cruisers (aka safari cars).

Gramaton550
08-20-13, 22:26
Please tell me you're going to make a thread documenting your Safari!

Also we need a run down on the rifles you took, details man! details!.

Oh ya, don't forget to get a few sweet shots of those bad-a land cruisers (aka safari cars).

Indeed!! What a fascinating thread!!

OliviaGoode
08-21-13, 13:58
Actually I'm quite interested in this traveling and hunting in Africa, because it's the best place to do camping and hunting.

WHY IS MY HOUSE STILL BEING RAVAGED BY TERMITES???? (http://www.termiterescue.com.au/news/termite-advice/termite-baiting-systems-facts.php)

Rob Haught
08-27-13, 00:51
If anyone is more computer savvy than me, I would love to send some pics to post here.
Our hunt was by far the best of my four safaris. We hunted with Buffelspan Safaris once again, our good friends Johan Human and Martin Booysen acting as our PH's.
The camp is located in the northern Limpopo Province, about 10 km from the Botswana border. This is classic Bushveld country and was first class in all respects.
My hunting buddy Tom and I flew direct from Atlanta to J'Berg on
Delta using the Economy Comfort seating for the first time. Two thumbs up on that!
We used Gracy Travel to make our arraignments and gun permits. The meet and greet service is worth it's weight in gold to navigate the gun permit and customs process.
We arrived in camp after a 5 hr drive from the airport and after a few
adult beverages with our hosts hit the rack.

Hunting was great, every day was exiting and we saw lots of game
everyday. We did some night hunting for varmints and predators and
I was fortunate to take a Honey Badger and a Civet Cat.

Tom and I did the Buffalo hunt together and it was everything a dangerous game hunt is supposed to be. In the end I took a very nice bull with all the character of an old warrior.
We both took excellent plains game to include Kudu, impala,Gemsbok,Sable, Nyala, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Zebra, Blesbok
,Red Hartebeast, Tsessebe and Steenbok.

We took a few days to do the ultimate guys road trip and drove up to Kruger Natl. Park for three days of self guided exploring. Epic.
adventure! It is easy to see why the call this place Eden. I've never seen such a huge diversity of wildlife all in one place
After that we drove back to camp for another week of hunting and Tom was able to get a SCI Gold Medal Eland after several days of
hunting nothing but Eland.
All in all this was an incredible trip. Anyone interested in hunting in
South Africa should give this place a good look. I'd be happy to help
with the introductions.

I used my Ruger African in 9.3x62 with Leupold VX6 2x12 with FireDot. Barnes 286 TSX bullets. This was used to take everything from Steenbuck to Cape Buffalo. Tom used a Ruger African in 338wm and Federal Premium 225gr Barnes TSX ammo. His rifle had a Ziess Conquest 3x9.

thopkins22
08-27-13, 01:02
PM inbound to you Chief. We'll get it sorted out.

Sounds like an amazing trip, color me jealous!

LHS
08-27-13, 11:49
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/DadsBuff1_zps11cecb04.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/DadsBuffBullet_zpsf4f6a733.jpg

Rob Haught
08-27-13, 11:52
Thanks for posting Matt

LHS
08-27-13, 11:58
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/photo-7_zps977b897d.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/photo-10_zpsd0679d29.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/photo-6_zps7fb132ce.jpg

LHS
08-27-13, 11:59
NP, Dad.

I still say you need to have the honey badger mounted like Stanley from AFT.

yoni
08-27-13, 12:46
I have not had the time to hunt in Afrika, but my company has offices in 4 countries and we are working on adding to that number.

Afrika, is to be respected not feared. It truly is the last frontier and has opportunities beyond belief.

I have been through one afrikan civil war. It was crazier than anything I ever saw in Israel, and as a first responder I have seen it all in Israel many times over.

When it comes to hunting it will be rich people that keep the animals of Afrika from going extinct. This is a fact, the Afrikan people tend to think more for today and less for tomorrow.

In about 18 months I hope to have the time to start hunting in Afrika, which for me will be a local trip. Since starting in October my primary place of residence will be in Afrika.

thopkins22
08-27-13, 13:26
What an amazing time you all must have had! Beautiful animals, I will get to Africa in my life.

More pictures from Chief Haught's hunt starting the next page.

thopkins22
08-27-13, 13:30
Pictures belong to Rob Haught.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image7.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image7.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image5.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image5.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image3.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image3.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image6.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image6.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image4.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image4.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image.jpg.html)

Hizzie
08-27-13, 13:58
Amazing pics!

I will go someday. Cape Buffalo, hippo and Nile crocodile are on my list. I already have my first big bore to become proficient, a .458 WM Mark X. I also picked up a little Ruger African in .223. Who woulda figured .223 would become harder to find and almost as expensive as .458?

Rob Haught
08-27-13, 14:20
Thanks for the help posting pics guys. More to follow. Say uncle when you have had enough!!

Pork Chop
08-27-13, 14:22
Thanks for the help posting pics guys. More to follow. Say uncle when you have had enough!!

Not likely. :)

By all means, more pics!

thopkins22
08-27-13, 14:40
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image3-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image3-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image7-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image7-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image8.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image8.jpg.html)

thopkins22
08-27-13, 14:41
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image1-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image1-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image5-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image5-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image4-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image4-1.jpg.html)

thopkins22
08-27-13, 14:42
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image2-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image2-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image6-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image6-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image-1.jpg.html)

ALCOAR
08-27-13, 14:49
Why do people kill Zebras?

Must be the challenge of shooting a horse w/ stripes :)

Hizzie
08-27-13, 18:59

Why do people come into a hunting thread to knock hunting?

Grizzlyatoms
08-27-13, 19:11

The Natives eat/use the animal so who cares?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

thopkins22
08-27-13, 20:27
I'm tickled pink previewing some of these before general consumption...and jealous as hell.

As always, the pictures belong to Rob Haught.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image3-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image3-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image1-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image1-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image2-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image2-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image5-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image5-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image4-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image4-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image7-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image7-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image6-2.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image6-2.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image8-1.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image8-1.jpg.html)
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image9.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/Image9.jpg.html)

SeriousStudent
08-27-13, 20:45
Chief, thank you so much for the pictures and the information. That Cape Buffalo looks really impressive - huge bosses and quite a span!

And allow me to second LHS's recommendation on displaying the honey badger. Stanley is a fine example for all, and you would have yet another funny story to share.

That Barnes TSX is really something, too.

My thanks to all those who helped with the photo posting, they really are nice.

LHS
08-27-13, 21:22
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/DadsHat_zps2653e386.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/Klingons_zpse8673b23.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/BuffaloEggSandwiches_zpsc07ebc62.jpg
^^Buffalo tenderloin and egg sandwiches FTW^^

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/Civet_zps6c17646f.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/ALLTHISMEAT_zps5eee65e7.jpg
^^ALL THIS MEAT^^

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/Warthog_zps16e05fa2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/CampSunset_zps631deb42.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/Dad2013Safari/BuffTrack_zps3c09863e.jpg

thopkins22
08-27-13, 21:32
All of the food pictures were making me hungry...but that fried egg and buffalo sandwich put me over the edge.

LHS
08-27-13, 21:39
Chief, thank you so much for the pictures and the information. That Cape Buffalo looks really impressive - huge bosses and quite a span!

And allow me to second LHS's recommendation on displaying the honey badger. Stanley is a fine example for all, and you would have yet another funny story to share.

That Barnes TSX is really something, too.

My thanks to all those who helped with the photo posting, they really are nice.

I've been super-impressed with the TSX and TTSX bullets. I took a good-sized whitetail with a 168gr TTSX in .308 last fall, and I wish I could have recovered the bullet. It went through a shoulder, both lungs and the top of the heart and kept on sailing out into the woods, never to be seen again. We shot some of the 286gr 9.3mm TSX bullets into various things at the range this summer, and they looked just like the one in the buffalo pictured above, even after being shot directly into a packed dirt berm. Really incredible projos.

Gramaton550
08-27-13, 22:45
Awesome photo's!!!!!

RyanB
08-27-13, 23:14

I don't know about Burchells Zebra but Hartmanns Zebra are a very difficult hunt.

LHS
08-27-13, 23:57
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/Image5-2.jpg

This one looks like it ought to be the cover of a Tool album.

J-Dub
08-28-13, 15:29
Amazing.

To the zebra question, my answer would be "why not?". You can eat them. Why not hunt them.

Some people would ask why spend 2k on a KAC rifle? The answer probable answer is, "because you can". Pretty simple stuff.

Sweet rifle.

lethal dose
08-28-13, 17:04
Awesome contribution to the forum, Mr. Haught. Glad you had a safe hunt and had safe travels.

High Tower
08-28-13, 17:24
Looks like an awesome time!

One of these days it would be fun to do.

Rob Haught
08-28-13, 20:49
Awesome contribution to the forum, Mr. Haught. Glad you had a safe hunt and had safe travels.

Thank you all! It truly was the trip and hunt of a lifetime. For anyone who has dreamed of hunting Africa, don't give up! You can make it happen. If I can help with the process just reach out and maybe I can answer questions or help find the answers.
Rob

Rob Haught
07-15-14, 15:23
Getting ready to hop on that big 777 and head back to South Africa for another adventure with my buddy Tom and Buffelspan Safaris. On tap this trip is more great Plains Game hunting as well as Cape Buffalo for two of our group. I will post a hunt report when we get back and will likely need help again with pics since I haven't learned how since last time. Africa is a hard habit to break!

SeriousStudent
07-16-14, 00:46
Sweet! I will definitely look forward to hearing about the trip, and looking at the photos.

If you need any help with the photos, Chief, just let us know. Have a fun trip, and a safe return back home.

Abraham
07-16-14, 10:44
Rob,

When it's convenient, please describe the taste and texture of the meat of the various animals you harvest. The photos are wonderful, but I'm always interested in the flavors and all particulars of wild game. I've eaten quite a bit of exotic game and love it.

Also, for those who interested, shoot a zebra and you have beautiful hide to use as a rug or wall decoration, plus I'm sure they're delicious.

I guess some see them as a horse, thus not to be shot. Most don't know it, but horse is delicious!

I wish I could buy it at the store. I'd pass over the beef every time.

Rob Haught
07-16-14, 16:22
Abraham,

I will give a culinary report as we go along. Im all my trips (5) we have never eaten any Zebra. I am told the layer of yellow fat is quite bad tasting and not suitable for table fare. Ive not seen the staff or others eat it either which speaks volumes about it.

My favorite has to be Eland. It is very close to beef in texture and flavor and is a favorite with the PH and camp staff. Gemsbok is also very good. Impala is similar to Whitetail Deer. A young warthog sow makes for a great pig roast. We usually try to do one each trip. Cape Buffalo tenderloin and filets are also quite tasty.

I prefer game meat any time I can get it. Our camp prides itself on preparing game dishes every day while we are there. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Abraham
07-17-14, 08:38
Rob,

Thanks for the great response.

I look forward to your game meat particulars.

Thanks!

Rob Haught
08-13-14, 16:01
Just back from a great hunt in South Africa. Our four person party was very successful and all went smoothly in our travels and hunting.

We hunted with Buffelspan Safaris once again in the northern Limpopo Province. Our outstanding PH's Johan Human and Martin Booysen took great care of us and were able to get us onto some great trophies.

Cape Buffalo x 2
Eland
Blue Wildebeest
Impala
Nyala
Sable x 2
Waterbuck
Mountain Reedbuck
Steenbok
Jackal
Tseesebe
Red Hartrebeest
Giraffe x2
Warthog x4
Zebra x 2
Kudu

We also did a nice sidetrip to the Marekele National Park for two days and stayed in a tented camp overlooking a lake.
This was my third hunt with Buffelspan and I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a great African hunt.
I will post pics as soon as I can.

SeriousStudent
08-13-14, 19:49
Very neat, we will look forward to the photos when you have a chance, Chief.

LHS
08-13-14, 23:10
Given Dad still hasn't figured out how to post photos, here are some shots from the trip :)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadZebra_zps609b6448.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/EthanWildebeeste_zpsbac3bd23.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/BillGemsbok_zpsee30dcc1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadSable_zpsb34fd38f.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/BillSable_zps4d4985dc.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/EthanWarthog_zpsf99e70ac.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadJackal_zpse9ef9e81.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/TomBuffalo_zps0a46a646.jpg

LHS
08-13-14, 23:42
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/LionCloseup_zpsf5d71f48.jpg

SeriousStudent
08-13-14, 23:50
I really, really hope that was taken with a telephoto lens, and is not a cell phone pic.

Rob Haught
08-14-14, 14:34
I really, really hope that was taken with a telephoto lens, and is not a cell phone pic.

It was!! It was in the Marakele Park, and I was about 15 yds away with a nice zoom lens. I did hang a bit too far out of the vehicle to get it in hindsight.

SeriousStudent
08-15-14, 22:41
Whew! The first thing I would have been thinking was "select slug".......

That's a nice buffalo, too. Your son and I were talking about Africa over dinner a while back, and it's on my bucket list now as well.

LHS
08-16-14, 12:49
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/AfricanSunset_zps8d612c52.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadEland_zps6ac60d32.jpg

LHS
08-16-14, 12:53
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadMarakele_zpsfc2911f3.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/Lion_zps23b79747.jpg

LHS
08-16-14, 12:58
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/b8bbd27b-ccfa-430a-84be-bd680119b2d6_zpsf3bb6d40.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/TentCamp_zps04f032dd.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/TentInterior_zpsedd31d6a.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/Marakele_zps1175251f.jpg

SeriousStudent
08-16-14, 13:50
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/DadMarakele_zpsfc2911f3.jpg

I swear, that picture looks just like the ranch where I grew up in West Texas.

Takes me back......

LHS
08-16-14, 17:30
Your son and I were talking about Africa over dinner a while back, and it's on my bucket list now as well.

It seemed an appropriate topic of conversation, given the massive quantities of roast meat. :)

Rob Haught
08-16-14, 18:21
It seemed an appropriate topic of conversation, given the massive quantities of roast meat. :)

Let me know if I can help with making that happen. Ive got great contacts there.
Its always been my dream to go hunt there and Its more doable than you would think.

SeriousStudent
08-17-14, 00:06
Thank you, Chief, that is a very kind offer. I will take you up on that in a few years.

Abraham
08-17-14, 09:13
I've never heard of taking a giraffe.

Are they good eating or is the hide highly prized or did they need to be culled for disease reasons or...?

Thanks!

Rob Haught
08-17-14, 22:09

Are they good eating or is the hide highly prized or did they need to be culled for disease reasons or...?

Thanks!

The meat is utilized. The hide and leg bones are used for rugs and knife handle materials as well as scrimshaw. It is a common game animal.

LHS
08-17-14, 22:31
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/LargeGiraffeScrimshaw2_zps33952a64.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/DadAfrica2014/LargeGiraffeScrimshaw_zps78857fe4.jpg

Blinking Dog
09-17-14, 16:19
Dang, brings back some good memories. I hunted RSA several years ago, around same area as Mr. Haught, Limpopo region close to Botswana border. It has been a dream of mine ever since I knew there was hunting in Africa, what being a Texas born and bred hunter and all. My good hunting buddy and I were at a Safari Club Intl banquet and as we were talking to outfitters a couple of older gentlemen stopped by and said if you want to go to Africa, go. You can borrow money if you need to, but you can't borrow time. Who knows what tomorrow brings, who knows what your health will be, etc. Luckily I didn't have to borrow money to go, but that did solidify it for both of us. It was expensive, of course. Just getting there and shooting is half the price. Getting your game back and mounted is a fun extra expense.

I can say that RSA was very similar to me to Texas. The people were very similar, and much of the terrain reminded me of home. Yes, we hunted on ranches because I think that's about all the options there are in RSA. But we spent our time on huuuuge places...like 50,000 acres. Only saw fences going in. I'm a fair chase guy, and I didn't feel morally conflicted.

Got 5 plains game animals, from the small duiker, to mid-range impala and blesbuk, and the big kudu and gemsbok. All taken with a Browning X-bolt in 30.06, using Federal off-the-shelf ammo topped with Barnes TSX 180 gr bullets. Those dudes performed masterfully.

I guess Africa isn't for everyone. I can tell you that you'd have as much to shoot at as you wish. You'll see amazing numbers of diverse animals. You'll meet great people. You'll see amazing terrain. If that's not your deal, don't go. :)

LHS
09-17-14, 16:28
That reminds me, I've got more photos to upload for Dad.

Blinking Dog
09-17-14, 17:35

Thanks!

They make a heck of a trophy. Wouldn't have thought so until I saw some mounted over there.

When I arrived at hunting camp a sheik and two of his sons where there hunting. They went on and on about shooting two giraffes (hard g pronunciation which I had to hold back a chuckle on) to put in the entry of one of their houses, with necks crossing. Yeah, um, apparently they were legit and had some dough.

That said, I saw some giraffes in the bush and while they were interesting to look at and take pictures of I didn't have much of an interest in shooting one. I don't knock anyone who does, though.
Going in, I didn't have an interest in a zebra, but after seeing them I wish I had tried to take one. Anyone who compares them to a horse doesn't know what they're talking about.