PDA

View Full Version : G19 Reliability Test by inattentive owner

cqbdriver
08-20-11, 23:08
I sold a G19 about 4 yrs ago to a friend who never owned a pistol. I took him shooting several times to teach him the basics. I was afraid that he would be like most guys & never shoot it again. However, he surprised me & continued to practice at least once a month.

Since he was coming over to my place for dinner tonight, I told him to bring the Glock and I would check it out, do a detail disassembly & cleaning. When I dissembled the pistol & looked inside the frame, I asked when was the last time that it had been cleaned. He replied that it hadn’t been cleaned since I sold it to him.

It was bone dry and grudged up with carbon & dirt. He had fired over 2K rds and carries it almost daily. He had carried it on several camping trips with me, which included long dusty ATV rides & rain.

I asked if he had any problems with the pistol. Except for a couple times of not locking the slide back on the last round, it had never missed a beat.

After I finished cleaning & lubing the pistol, I chewed him out & told him that I may have to confiscate the pistol due to neglect. Then I placed a sticker on the slide for his next schedule maintenance.

Omega Man
08-20-11, 23:56
Nice to hear.

viperashes
08-21-11, 04:33
I laughed at the maintenance sticker. "make sure you come in for your next oil change." Ha!

I recently just bought my second G19. Sadly, a few years ago I sold my first and have regretted it since. They're great handguns that seem to run forever. Mine got neglected much the same way.

Glad to see that your buddy kept with it and continues to enjoy shooting.

Guns-up.50
08-21-11, 08:03
It was bone dry and grudged up with carbon & dirt. He had fired over 2K rds and carries it almost daily. He had carried it on several camping trips with me, which included long dusty ATV rides & rain.

I asked if he had any problems with the pistol. Except for a couple times of not locking the slide back on the last round, it had never missed a beat.

ENOUGH SAID

skyugo
08-21-11, 12:48
just cause ya can doesn't mean ya should...

good to know they can take it though.

QuickStrike
08-21-11, 17:00
Now if only my g19 doesn't occasionally pelt me in the glasses with brass.

Chipped my shooting glasses, if this happened in a zombie fight without eye pro! :o

ST911
08-21-11, 17:17
No surprises. There would be something wrong with the gun if it didn't do that.

cqbdriver
08-21-11, 19:17
Knowing Glock's reputation for reliability, I shouldn’t be surprised. However, 4 yrs/2K rds fired without cleaning or lube while carried daily, impressed me.

I glad to know they can go this long without any maintenance. However, I’m not going test it out on my carry pistol.

majette
08-22-11, 09:08
Knowing Glock's reputation for reliability, I shouldn’t be surprised. However, 4 yrs/2K rds fired without cleaning or lube while carried daily, impressed me.

I glad to know they can go this long without any maintenance. However, I’m not going test it out on my carry pistol.

C45P312 ran his for 14,500 rounds without cleaning. search and you can find the thread and pics.

No Ground To Give
08-22-11, 12:48
I'm not maligning the Glock but I've seen 1911s perform equally.

Nephrology
08-22-11, 13:33
The LWD extractor could be your new best friend.

My G17 had identical ejection issues. Since the extractor change I've gone nearly 300 rounds without even one empty being spit back at me. In fact, I think as the Lone Wolf extractor wears in, the ejection actually gets more and more enthusiastically away from me.

For what it's worth, I have a G26 and a G17 (both Gen 3) with the new "dimpled" extractor that spit brass well clear of my face. Come to think of it, the cases that DID come back at my forehead were from my G19 with the old style, LCI extractor... maybe it needs replacing.

NWPilgrim
08-22-11, 14:55
While I favor Glocks, I think we are fortunate that there are so many quality pistols out there now that are very durable and reliable. This is a golden age of pistols.

My SA 1911 and Glocks have never failed me under the dustiest, coldest, wettest and hottest conditions (not just Oregon but California and Washington from desert to rain forest and snowy ridges). Though I pretty much clean and lube after each shooting sessions. Nice to know they can keep on ticking if need be but I like to reduce any opportunity for Mr. Murphy if possible.

Cerberus
08-22-11, 17:33
What can you say? It's a Glock and the G19 is arguably their best.

Love my 1911 and my S&W M15 too.

Jfkudla
08-22-11, 17:36
As a USP guy, I'm curious about user stories like this..I'd imagine similar results (not to start a debate).

Doc Safari
08-22-11, 17:47
Now if only my g19 doesn't occasionally pelt me in the glasses with brass.

Chipped my shooting glasses, if this happened in a zombie fight without eye pro! :o

The LWD extractor could be your new best friend.

My G17 had identical ejection issues. Since the extractor change I've gone nearly 300 rounds without even one empty being spit back at me. In fact, I think as the Lone Wolf extractor wears in, the ejection actually gets more and more enthusiastically away from me.

NWPilgrim
08-23-11, 02:31
I always appreciate the guys who torture test their guns, whether intentional or not, so I don't have to! :D