PDA

View Full Version : Trick to replacing take down pins without removing the stock or end plate

bobafett
08-20-11, 23:15
Just wanted to share this....

I searched the web and only found remarks that "You can't do that you have to remove the stock" or "You have to back off the castle-nut"

So I bought a set of easy-pull take-down pins and didn't think about it but the rifle I wanted to put them on has a Magpul ASAP that I've staked and didn't want to remove it.

I took a small eyeglasses repair kit and took a thin flat blade screwdriver. I put a slight bend near the tip and used it to lever the take-down pin plunger back into the receiver.

While doing that I twisted (rotated) the rear take-down pin 180* so the groove is facing away from the plunger. Using a spare front pin which is longer I press the rear pin out and that keeps the plunger depressed.

Now take the new pin and carefully line it up with the groove facing the plunger and press it home.

Waa Laa , Take-down pins replaced without removing the end plate and messing up your staked castle nut.

BTW, I wanted the easy-pull pins because I constantly switch to 22LR in this rifle.

Col_Crocs
08-21-11, 01:49
Thanks for this. IF you can, could you post a photo of the modified screwdriver?

bobafett
08-21-11, 03:11
Sure...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/photo1.jpg

Col_Crocs
08-21-11, 04:24
THanks! I really appreciate it.

polymorpheous
08-22-11, 12:10
I got the same screw driver! But I use mine for scrapping off carbon inside the bolt carrier

This is a really bad idea.

DC3
08-22-11, 14:48
I got the same screw driver! But I use mine for scrapping off carbon inside the bolt carrier

ucrt
08-22-11, 15:36

As you are removing the Take Down Pin, do you install a "dummy pin" in the TD Pin's place?
If not, does the Detent and Spring come loose as it goes into the space the TD Pin once occupied?

Thanks

wahoo95
08-22-11, 15:47

As you are removing the Take Down Pin, do you install a "dummy pin" in the TD Pin's place?
If not, does the Detent and Spring come loose as it goes into the space the TD Pin once occupied?

Thanks

I'm assuming he continues to keep the detent depressed while swapping from the old pin to the new one.

bobafett
08-22-11, 16:31
I'm assuming he continues to keep the detent depressed while swapping from the old pin to the new one.

Yes, rotating the rear pin (groove away from plunger) I have the dummy pin push out the rear pin so it keeps the plunger and spring where they belong.

Keep your fingers on the two pins squeezing them together while you press the rear pin out so there's no void that the plunger can pop out thru.

Then new pin presses out the dummy while keeping them tight together.

Grease Monkey
08-24-11, 10:26
Nice!

Pork Chop
08-24-11, 10:55
awesome