PDA

View Full Version : Almost that time...please!

Belmont31R
08-21-11, 00:08
Can't wait for this heat to break, and I can wear a sweater around the house, make hot cider with cinnamon sticks in the crock pot to have around all day, and make some really good hot soups, stews, and chilies without making me feel like its 100 in the house.

This year spring was cancelled, and we bumped right into summer starting around April with 100+ temps, and less than an inch of rain since the 1st of the year. Already ready for snow, rain, hurricanes, and whatever else. All its been for months upon months upon months is 100+ with NO RAIN. Normally this time of year we nice down pours every 1-2 weeks averaging about 4" a month. We've had less than 1" this ENTIRE year.

Let me guess...Halloween this year is going to be 90 degrees at 8PM and no one wants to do anything after sweating it out at 100+ for 7 months this year. April, May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct. Pumpkins will rot within a week, and a bale of straw in the yard is a fire hazard.

Cabin fever works BOTH ways.

nimdabew
08-21-11, 00:55
Seattle hasn't gotten it's summer yet. It has been a mild 60-75 since late May and I am just waiting for the 90+ days. Summer has been mild on the west side of the Rockies.

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-11, 01:01
Autumn is my favorite time of the year, I prefer sweater weather myself. I am over this drought and heat here in TX.

Sam
08-21-11, 08:03
What state are you in Belmont?

Artos
08-21-11, 08:21
Hey...at least you get to see the first cool fronts that hit around Halloween. We are stuck in misery watching them stall out between San Antonio and Falfurious just teasing us.

Only heat i'm looking forward to is in two weeks as I get to take my summer frustrations out on some whitewing.

Belmont31R
08-21-11, 09:42
What state are you in Belmont?

Texas near Austin.

Hootiewho
08-21-11, 10:40
It has been bad this year. Worse that I can remember in a looooonnng time. I had to rebuild several large air handlers on one of the classroom/lab buildings at Clemson University about a month ago. I was on the roof all week, from 5 am till dark. It was 100 just about every day, but the room temp was 180+. Try laying down on that to reach up under structure & work on stuff. We had a thermal temp gun & would check it from time to time. In that kind of heat, you pretty much cannot drink enough to keep up with what you sweat out. Why people wait till the middle of summer and winter to do those kinds of repairs is beyond me. The heat this year just will not let up.

variablebinary
08-21-11, 13:29
I like my summers just fine. I can live without fall or winter for awhile longer

ThirdWatcher
08-21-11, 16:02
Autumn is my favorite time of year too. We get a lot of snow in my corner of the country and that's just fine by me. A good 4X4 truck with good snow tires, good quality clothing (with tags that say Thinsulate & GoreTex) and Sorrel boots go a long way in making the cold bearable. ;)

orionz06
08-21-11, 16:50
Oktoberfest beer, winter beer, and Starbucks Pumpkin Spice lattes.

Scoby
08-21-11, 17:50
I'm with you Belmont. I'm tried of it as well.

I've heard you guys in Texas have had it bad with heat and drought. Understand some areas in Texas are even considering recycling wastewater in order to suppliment the drinking water supply. It must be bad.

Belmont31R
08-21-11, 18:01
I'm with you Belmont. I'm tried of it as well.

I've heard you guys in Texas have had it bad with heat and drought. Understand some areas in Texas are even considering recycling wastewater in order to suppliment the drinking water supply. It must be bad.

Yes its been pretty bad. Less than an inch of rain in my city since the start of the year (.04 last few months), and been 100+ except for 4 days last couple months (still upper 90's).

We never had spring where it normally rains quite a bit and is green. Just stayed brown this year, and was very hot already in April. We've basically had 5 straight months now of 90+ with most of the last 3 months 100+.

I like summer don't get me wrong. But I like t-storms, and for it to occasionally cool off. The average here in Jul/Aug is 95 with 2-5" of a rain a month. Summer is supposed to be hot for 2 months. We're going on 5 months of this shit so Im ready for it to end.

Our only real hope of decent rain would be a hurricane. A TD hit about a month ago, and evaporated as soon as it hit the coast. The day before they were predicting several inches of rain rear the coast, and up to 2" further inland. It just disappeared as soon as it hit land.

Belmont31R
08-21-11, 18:06
:rolleyes:

Tonight
Aug 21 Partly Cloudy 76° 10 %
Mon
Aug 22 Mostly Sunny 104°/76° 10 %
Tue
Aug 23 Mostly Sunny 104°/76° 10 %
Wed
Aug 24 Mostly Sunny 103°/75° 10 %
Thu
Aug 25 Sunny 103°/76° 0 %
Fri
Aug 26 Mostly Sunny 103°/76° 10 %
Sat
Aug 27 Sunny 104°/76° 0 %
Sun
Aug 28 Mostly Sunny 105°/77° 0 %
Mon
Aug 29 Partly Cloudy 104°/76° 10 %
Tue
Aug 30 Mostly Sunny 102°/74° 0 %

QuickStrike
08-21-11, 18:23
Only good thing is that there's no snow/ice on the roads...

Losing sleep from the heat and being eaten alive by mosquitoes suck.

nimdabew
08-21-11, 18:43
:rolleyes:

Tonight
Aug 21 Partly Cloudy 76° 10 %
Mon
Aug 22 Mostly Sunny 104°/76° 10 %
Tue
Aug 23 Mostly Sunny 104°/76° 10 %
Wed
Aug 24 Mostly Sunny 103°/75° 10 %
Thu
Aug 25 Sunny 103°/76° 0 %
Fri
Aug 26 Mostly Sunny 103°/76° 10 %
Sat
Aug 27 Sunny 104°/76° 0 %
Sun
Aug 28 Mostly Sunny 105°/77° 0 %
Mon
Aug 29 Partly Cloudy 104°/76° 10 %
Tue
Aug 30 Mostly Sunny 102°/74° 0 %

Hey, at least its a dry heat man.

glockeyed
08-21-11, 19:45
I like my summers just fine. I can live without fall or winter for awhile longer

+one. spending all day at the beach with my girls and a beer is the top of my list.

Sam
08-21-11, 20:17
Texas near Austin.

No wonder, you poor soul. It's been similar in Georgia. Spring lasted maybe a week in early March. It then went straight to summer.

I can't wait for fall either. But meanwhile, we just hope for rain to cool things off a bit.

Moose-Knuckle
08-22-11, 03:06
Hey, at least its a dry heat man.

Negative, the OP is approximately 181 miles South of my AO which is N Central TX. The National Weather Service classifies us as humid sub-tropical with HOT summers. When the air temperature combines with the relative humidity it elevates the felt air temperature to us warm blooded mammals.

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 we set a new record at 107°F with a relative humidity of 62°F which calculates to a felt air temperature of 161°F.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

Artos
08-22-11, 07:19
yep...it actually feels way hotter in the a.m. at 80 than it does in the late afternoon. I'm +/- 60mi from the coast and it's just brutal. Having said that, I will gladly take our summers over the sub-freezing conditions the northern members deal with.

Sad part is this high sitting over us may have us missing any chance of the tropics bringing seasonal rain. Don't need a hurricane but texas is in really bad shape & in dire straights. All our stock tanks are drying up & bass are gone at the ranch...it's bad.

Watrdawg
08-22-11, 07:36
Can't wait for this heat to break, and I can wear a sweater around the house, make hot cider with cinnamon sticks in the crock pot to have around all day, and make some really good hot soups, stews, and chilies without making me feel like its 100 in the house.

Add some Capt. Morgans Spiced Rum to the hot cider. Adds a nice kick to it. We make good use of the crock pot during the fall and winter. One of my favorite winter soups is Potato Soup and 15 Bean soup. I usually do them 3-4 times each over the winter.

JSantoro
08-22-11, 07:46
Spring lasted maybe a week in early March. It then went straight to summer.

This is what I always grumble about. Something about the lower 2/3 of the eastern seaboard and a total absence of anything worthy of being called spring or fall. The primary seasons just sorta bumper-car off of one another.

Never really noticed it, but now that I'm getting old and cranky.....

nimdabew
08-22-11, 09:37
Negative, the OP is approximately 181 miles South of my AO which is N Central TX. The National Weather Service classifies us as humid sub-tropical with HOT summers. When the air temperature combines with the relative humidity it elevates the felt air temperature to us warm blooded mammals.

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 we set a new record at 107°F with a relative humidity of 62°F which calculates to a felt air temperature of 161°F.

So I am guessing that little percentage sign after the 0 and the 10 is not the relative humidity? And I am pretty sure that is not how relative humidity works. That 62 percent is the percentage of water that can be held in the air, not the temperature that it is felt at. The DEW point is the point at which the air becomes 100% saturated with water if the same parcel of air, with that amount of water in the air, and then dew/rain/condensation begins to form on surfaces.

If people were feeling 161 degrees, which is around 20-25 degrees hotter than the hottest day ever recorded in the world in the hottest desert, there would be people dying left and right while walking down the streets. Don't quote me on this, but at 161 degrees, a human can survive about 2 hours in that temperature before dying of dehydration.

chadbag
08-22-11, 11:08

Heat and humidity suck when put together. The reason it feels hotter when it is humid out is that your body's cooling mechanism, sweating and evaporation, don't work well in high humidity. You sweat, but it does not cool you as it does not evaporate well [air already has lots of water in it] so your internal temperature goes up a little.

I think we have had slightly lower temperatures here in Utah this year. We usually get a string of 100+ temps in the summer. I have not looked at the official record but I have not seen any 100+ temps myself though it is hot and we have had lots of 90s, including high 90s. And we are back to mid to low 60s most nights, though some nights only get to the low 70s. And it is a relative dry heat. 15-40% humidity. Generally around 15% unless a front is coming through.

chadbag
08-22-11, 11:11
So I am guessing that little percentage sign after the 0 and the 10 is not the relative humidity?

I thought so too but am guessing it is chance of precipitation now.

And I am pretty sure that is not how relative humidity works. That 62 percent is the percentage of water that can be held in the air, not the temperature that it is felt at. The DEW point is the point at which the air becomes 100% saturated with water if the same parcel of air, with that amount of water in the air, and then dew/rain/condensation begins to form on surfaces.

If people were feeling 161 degrees, which is around 20-25 degrees hotter than the hottest day ever recorded in the world in the hottest desert, there would be people dying left and right while walking down the streets. Don't quote me on this, but at 161 degrees, a human can survive about 2 hours in that temperature before dying of dehydration.

I did not believe it either but go look at the link he gave to the NOAA website. That is how it turns out.

Note that it may feel like 162 but is not actually 162 and your body is not sweating as much, especially in a high humidity area.

Belmont31R
08-22-11, 11:15
yep...it actually feels way hotter in the a.m. at 80 than it does in the late afternoon. I'm +/- 60mi from the coast and it's just brutal. Having said that, I will gladly take our summers over the sub-freezing conditions the northern members deal with.

Sad part is this high sitting over us may have us missing any chance of the tropics bringing seasonal rain. Don't need a hurricane but texas is in really bad shape & in dire straights. All our stock tanks are drying up & bass are gone at the ranch...it's bad.

Summer is fine for a few months. Not going on 5 with no relief in sight and basically what amounts to less than an inch of rain the entire year. Ive read various weather articles that say we should expect this type of weather until early winter. Normally we get nice thunderstorms pretty often this time of year, and spring averages around 4-5"+ a month. Lots of stock had to get sold off, and ranchers who still have anything left have been going well out of state for hay. No one has grown shit around here this year.

78% of Texas in exceptional drought:http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/staggering-texas-drought-impacts_2011-08-16

Lake Travis August Photos: http://www.texassailboatads.com/lake-travis-water-level-photos/

The only reason that lake isn't far lower than it already is was last year Hermeane came through and dumped 12-15" of rain my area within 24 hours.

Scoby
08-22-11, 12:02
Well it looks like the southeastern coastal states are going to get a little rain soon in the way of Irene. We don't need it as bad as Texas, but we sure could use some. Just not in the form of a hurricane.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205112.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Hope she downgrades to a tropical depression before it hits the coast.

sandman99and9
08-22-11, 14:22
What is this " Fall and Winter " you speak of ??

Down here in florida we have 2 seasons Hot and Hotter !!
unless you count tourist season :)

It has been mid to high 90's every day with tons of humidity. It rains in the afternoon but only long enough to make it feel like a sauna outside !! the heat index has been anywhere from 105 to 108 all the time, it sucks to be outside.

I love walking out to my car at 7am and my glasses fogging up as soon as I step outside.

Maybe it's all the pavement around orlando making it so hot. Hard to find a good patch of trees anywhere. Everything has been plowed,paved, and built on around here :mad:

S.M.

glockeyed
08-22-11, 14:56
What is this " Fall and Winter " you speak of ??

Down here in florida we have 2 seasons Hot and Hotter !!
unless you count tourist season :)

It has been mid to high 90's every day with tons of humidity. It rains in the afternoon but only long enough to make it feel like a sauna outside !! the heat index has been anywhere from 105 to 108 all the time, it sucks to be outside.

I love walking out to my car at 7am and my glasses fogging up as soon as I step outside.

Maybe it's all the pavement around orlando making it so hot. Hard to find a good patch of trees anywhere. Everything has been plowed,paved, and built on around here :mad:

S.M.

and your in the center of the state! west wind off the gulf isn't exactly cool :cool:

Belmont31R
08-22-11, 15:04
If I moved to Florida that is what I would expect. I've been there a few times.

And everybody is different. If I had it my way there would be 4 distinct seasons 3 months each, and the weather would automatically change on the exact date each year. Winter would be lots of snow, cold, and dark. Spring would be cloudy, rain showers often to make everything green, summer would be hot with thunderstorms 1-3 days a week, and fall would be cool with leaves falling.

Moose-Knuckle
08-23-11, 02:23

This:

Note that it may feel like 162 but is not actually 162. . .

PaulL
08-25-11, 09:56
IT'S RAINING!!!! WOOHOOO!!!

ETA: 2.5 inches in one shot - haven't seen that kind of rain for months.

Belmont31R
08-28-11, 17:03
Yesterday was 109 and its 110.7 right now...WTF? On the road earlier was 112-113 over blacktop.

Oh we also broke the number of 100+ days this year by 5 days. :(

Artos
08-28-11, 18:10
Hey...it's dove season amigo.

Statewide rain for end of the week and through labor day.:rolleyes::)

Belmont31R
08-30-11, 11:29
Pictures from around the area: http://photoblog.statesman.com/dry-season-the-texas-drought-of-2011

http://photoblog.statesman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/drought-10.jpg

Artos
08-31-11, 17:28
tropics are churning...i'm in the 80's and loving it!! Had rain dancing all around us.

Even smells like bird season:rolleyes::) Coastal could be in the chips for the next several days.

austinN4
08-31-11, 22:32
No doubt about it - this summer sucks in Central Texas.

Belmont31R
08-31-11, 22:39
tropics are churning...i'm in the 80's and loving it!! Had rain dancing all around us.

Even smells like bird season:rolleyes::) Coastal could be in the chips for the next several days.

NHC took off any chance of CenTX getting rain from the Gulf low forming right now. Current models all mostly point to that system hitting the LA/MS area.

:(

Submariner
09-02-11, 12:11
Yes its been pretty bad. Less than an inch of rain in my city since the start of the year (.04 last few months), and been 100+ except for 4 days last couple months (still upper 90's).

So bad that, for baptisms, the Baptists are sprinkling, the Presbyterians are handing out rain checks and the Episcopalians are praying for the wine to turn to water?

chadbag
09-04-11, 02:01
Why Texas' Drought May Have Global Effects - TIME

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2091192-1,00.html

----

ThirdWatcher
09-04-11, 05:35
Pictures from around the area:

My heart may be in Texas (as my family moved there in 1845 & I grew up there) but memories of this kinda heat keep me in the Pacific NorthWest.

Magic_Salad0892
09-04-11, 05:37
Reminds me of Sacramento. They have two seasons. Really ****ing hot, and kind of cold.

Here, we also have two seasons. Rainstorm, and three days of 91 degree weather.

...with clouds.

I love it. I love rain. I love hail. I love snow (if we ever got it). I love winter. I hate summer, it burns my butthole.

kaiservontexas
09-04-11, 09:22
It is so hot here in Texas that Satan called and asked for hell to be returned via over night carrier.

montanadave
09-04-11, 09:26
44 degrees this morning, bacon sizzling on the grill, forecast is SUNNY with a high of 77.

That's why folks live in Montana. :happy:

HAMMERDROP
09-04-11, 10:00
I went from the frying pan into the fire...moved from Missouri to Florida during the summer DUH I had never been here before.
I cannot believe how hot it is here. I have begun to hate the sun it is relentless. If I could figure out a way to manufacture shade I could make a fortune.
I actually had a dream the other night a nice dream a dream I thought about all that day a dream I hoped would reoccur ...
about SLUSH.

Michael

Artos
09-04-11, 10:47
We had 3 cases of heat exhaustion on the dove field yesterday...another hunter almost lost a dog.

Moose-Knuckle
09-05-11, 04:13
I just had a cousin loose her home and all her Earthly possessions to this. . .

Central Texas is Burning: Bastrop, Texas Wildfire at 14,000 Acres

http://www.suite101.com/news/central-texas-is-burning-bastrop-texas-wildfire-at-14000-acres-a387393#ixzz1X4GEoCu3

zacbol
09-05-11, 14:32
Seattle hasn't gotten it's summer yet. It has been a mild 60-75 since late May and I am just waiting for the 90+ days. Summer has been mild on the west side of the Rockies.
I've only lived here for 4 years, but this is/was as "nice" (by normal peoples' definitions) of a summer as I've seen. We've had quite a few days in the upper 70s/low 80s.

90+ is abnormally hot for this area by anyone I've spoken to, including my wife who's lived here all her life--that horrible heat wave we had a few years ago notwithstanding. It's definitely been a lot warmer and sunnier than it was last year. I actually wish it had been colder and rainier, but I'm weird like that. I don't like sun or temps much above 70.

Belmont31R
09-05-11, 14:38
I just had a cousin loose her home and all her Earthly possessions to this. . .

Central Texas is Burning: Bastrop, Texas Wildfire at 14,000 Acres

http://www.suite101.com/news/central-texas-is-burning-bastrop-texas-wildfire-at-14000-acres-a387393#ixzz1X4GEoCu3

Last report Ive seen the Bastrop fire is up to 25k acres 0% contained. :(

At least its about 20 degrees cooler than its been the last 2 weeks. Just lots of wind...

nimdabew
09-05-11, 18:18
I've only lived here for 4 years, but this is/was as "nice" (by normal peoples' definitions) of a summer as I've seen. We've had quite a few days in the upper 70s/low 80s.

90+ is abnormally hot for this area by anyone I've spoken to, including my wife who's lived here all her life--that horrible heat wave we had a few years ago notwithstanding. It's definitely been a lot warmer and sunnier than it was last year. I actually wish it had been colder and rainier, but I'm weird like that. I don't like sun or temps much above 70.

Oh I agree. This is a "fantastic" summer, but geting above 90 for a week or two is usually right around mid to late August. Most of the time, it is like it was this summer, and this summer has actually beena bit on the chilly side to me.

austinN4
09-05-11, 18:35
At least its about 20 degrees cooler than its been the last 2 weeks.
It's funny how "cool" 90 feels after a couple of months over a 100.

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 10:32
It's funny how "cool" 90 feels after a couple of months over a 100.

Feels great....

Apartment fire last night in Cedar Park. One unit completely destroyed and a 2nd damaged. Our FF's are sure getting a work out.

http://cedarparkcitizen.com/2011/09/06/middle-brook-gardens-apartments-catch-fire/

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 21:40
Got enough rain today to wet the street but sidewalks were dry within 10 minutes. Everything went right around us and wasn't that promising looking to begin with.

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-11, 01:38
We got a light shower Friday evening, it was welcomed.

Belmont31R
10-08-11, 17:41
Just thought Id let everyone know its pouring on the Belmont household right now....:D

austinN4
10-08-11, 18:05
Just thought Id let everyone know its pouring on the Belmont household right now....:D
Yeah, I'm getting it in Austin also. (Thank goodness!)
The forecast says we have an even better chance tomorrow.

Belmont31R
01-20-12, 02:35
Just want to update this thread and say our "winter" sucks ass. It was almost 80 degrees today, and although we have gotten a fair amount of rain the last 2 months temps are WAY above what Ive seen here winter wise the last 3 years. Its only been freezing maybe 4 or 5 days so far.

Please tell me 80 in Jan is NOT normal CenTX winter weather. :(

I have read there is something called an arctic oscillation, and this has kept most of the storms and major cool surges well up north. I don't think TX is alone in the warm winter despite the recent PNW snow fall.

austinN4
01-20-12, 06:10
Please tell me 80 in Jan is NOT normal CenTX winter weather.
Yesterday was ridiculously warm. I refused to turn on my car AC on general principles. It is forecast to be 78 today and 80 again on Sunday.

We still need much, much more rain! I worry about how our near future water needs are going to be met as the metro area just keeps on growing and growing.

montanadave
01-20-12, 06:26
Havin' a heat wave here.

Two below this AM, which is ten degrees warmer than yesterday. :laugh:

M4Fundi
01-20-12, 06:50
I'm not thrilled about the warm winter either, but I have to admit it was nice to be able to go rock climbing tonight by headlamp in short sleeves till 10pm. Tho I would rather be ice climbing:)

Belmont31R
01-20-12, 14:14
Yesterday was ridiculously warm. I refused to turn on my car AC on general principles. It is forecast to be 78 today and 80 again on Sunday.

We still need much, much more rain! I worry about how our near future water needs are going to be met as the metro area just keeps on growing and growing.

I'm not thrilled about the warm winter either, but I have to admit it was nice to be able to go rock climbing tonight by headlamp in short sleeves till 10pm. Tho I would rather be ice climbing:)

Our AC has been on in the house quite a bit but doesn't have to work very hard. Electric bills are pretty low yet. If we leave it off the temp inside gets up to near 80 and feels muggy.

It is a nice break, either way, from last summer but it doesn't look good for next year if we're in the 80's in January. I can't take summers with ~105+- for long stretches...especially with kids in the house who end up getting 'cabin fever' because they can't spend that long outside.

Moose-Knuckle
01-20-12, 15:07
Yeah were bordering 80 here in DFW. . . :suicide:

austinN4
01-25-12, 08:22
We still need much, much more rain!
We finally got a good rain overnight, but we still need much more.

Belmont31R
01-25-12, 11:06
We finally got a good rain overnight, but we still need much more.

Pretty intense there for a hour or so. What are we, down to about 20" below normal still? :p

Artos
01-25-12, 11:37
we've gotten 0 rain & didn't get a drop from this system...I took pics of the ponds on the 7k acres I hunt down here last weekend and about 70% are bone dry from the 2 dozen or we have.

talk about depressing!! It is going to be rough on the wildlife!!

We've also been in the 80's for the past week or so but wind just switched around from the north, so may get a little break I hope.

munch520
01-25-12, 12:37
Just want to update this thread and say our "winter" sucks ass.

Yep. Was just in San Antonio and it was HOT.

Our winters suck here too. It's either
A. a blizzard, 15F
B. sleet/rain mix, 40F
or
C. sunny 55F

We've had all 3 of those within 6 days. :suicide2: Mother Nature in Ohio has tourette's.

Only time I got into any kind of holiday spirit were during a couple brief trips to Denver/Boulder. 10F and sunny felt GOOD.