PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever move from the USA to Canada temporarily or permanently?

variablebinary
08-21-11, 04:44
My wife and I were thinking about leaving the states for 6 months to couple of years if I choose to not to continue with the military. We think Vancouver might be a good place to set up shop

Has anyone ever gone through the process of moving to Canada before? Is it a pain in the ass for Americans usually?

We are both educated, in good health with average finances and clear backgrounds, which I am sure matters somewhere in there.

mildot
08-21-11, 07:38
PM me or give me a call, I can answer those questions.
Cheers

YVK
08-21-11, 09:52
Interesting choice, VB. Just visited Vancouver 8 weeks ago or and thought it would be cool to live there. Methinks cost of living there has got to be higher than in Utah.

jklaughrey
08-21-11, 10:26
VB you going to give up shooting and Budlight for hockey and Molson...Eh!

Cost of living is higher, but area is nice.

Honu
08-21-11, 15:00
my wife is from Vancouver :)
pretty place housing can be very very expensive depending on where you want to be

she is from West Van near Edgemont village ! jump over the bridge you are in downtown Van go up the hill a bit to Grouse a very nice place to live for sure on that side but a basic decent house say 1700 sqft can run easy over a million easy so renting is common but switch sides and housing can be half that or less

one of my best buds from Maui married a Canadian also and ended up moving up their so for him it was easy :)

I would say totally depends on your skill set you are bringing and what you plan on doing
short term I dont see it being to tough though

I would say go up for 6 months ? then if you like it you want to find out about a permanent resident card
took my buddy a while to get one even with a Canadian wife but the Canadians really want to bring people in so its a easy country to get into if you bring a skill set

kmrtnsn
08-21-11, 16:24
Make sure you bone up on Canadian immigration laws.