PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain the pros and cons between American Defense and LaRue mounts?

ghostman1960
08-21-11, 06:12
Right now I have a American Defense high mount for my Aimpoint comp M3. I'm quite happy with it. It has held zero after repeated mounting and unmounting of the optic. I am begining another build soon and have been told I should go with the Larue optic mount this time as the clamping system and rings are superior to the American Defense system. Can anyone verify this?

Breadman
08-21-11, 06:25
Both companies have loyal followers, but I believe either one would be a great choice. At this level of gear it sometimes comes down to preference.
I have mounts from both companies and have been satisfied with repeatability and holding a zero with them.
I would buy another ADM before another Larue just because of them being finger adjustable and they don't tend to mar your upper. FWIW

sjc3081
08-21-11, 07:00
Both companies have loyal followers, but I believe either one would be a great choice. At this level of gear it sometimes comes down to preference.
I have mounts from both companies and have been satisfied with repeatability and holding a zero with them.
I would buy another ADM before another Larue just because of them being finger adjustable and they don't tend to mar your upper. FWIW
Ditto here. I have both and truely prefer the ease of adjustment of the ADM mount.

TehLlama
08-21-11, 07:01
ADM does a better job keeping the upper cosmetically pretty, at the expense of more complexity in the mounting system. Details on the LT stuff is a little more thought out, but ADM is overbuilt enough that it's a wash overall.

variablebinary
08-21-11, 07:30
I've owned both and I prefer ADM.

I prefer the way it clamps onto the rail, and the way the throw lever locks and releases, with no tools being needed.

st1650
08-21-11, 08:30
Had both SPR mounts. Sold the ADM, kept the Larue.

scottryan
08-21-11, 08:32
The Larue locking system is a fundamentally flawed concept.

An optic mount is suppose to apply a clamping force on a rail, not a camming and grind action like the Larue.

The Larue will dent an upper if it is tight like it is suppose to be. If you want dents in expensive Colt, KAC, or LMT MRP receiver rails, well....

The ADM has much more surface area in contact with the rail.

When Larue came out, I bought one and quickly got rid of it and when back to a KAC mount. Since then, I have replaced everything with ADM.

scottryan
08-21-11, 08:36
have been told I should go with the Larue optic mount this time as the clamping system and rings are superior to the American Defense system. Can anyone verify this?

Whoever told you that doesn't have a clue.

Failure2Stop
08-21-11, 08:57
My only issue with ADM is that I did not properly tighten mine and had shift. I thought it was tight enough, but 400 rounds proved me wrong.

At this point, if Bobro makes it for a new optic, I buy it.
I'm not getting rid of my ADM or LaRue mounts though.

glockshooter
08-21-11, 08:58
Both companies make exellent mounts. I have used both and would have no problem using either. I currently only have LaRue. If it makes a difference to you LaRue is one of the most supportive companies I know. They are very pro veteran, military, police. They are one of the most supportive sponsors in the shooting sports. So LaRue gets my business.

Matt

ghostman1960
08-21-11, 08:59
Had both SPR mounts. Sold the ADM, kept the Larue.

Why did you get rid of the ADM mounts?

ALCOAR
08-21-11, 09:06
///////

nimdabew
08-21-11, 09:07
Both mounts work as advertised, but the ADM has a little spring that can get lost if you are not careful when reversing directions with the lever if you are worried about that. I wouldn't feel bad with either.

YVK
08-21-11, 10:12
There is more to mounts than locking mechanisms - footprint, profile, height options, ease of adjustment without tools, reversibility etc.

I understand theoretical concerns with LaRue clamp, but I've not had practical problems other than finish removal. LaRue mount for M4s has slimmest profile giving less interference with SCAR charging handle on my 16s, and hence is my choice for that use. On the other hand, LaRue SPR mount is really a poor choice in that regard, and I use Bobro with Nightforce with my 17s (Bobro could also work for M4s but LaRue was there first). ADM Eotech riser is the lowest height riser and it works the best with Centurion sights on my BCM, so I use it. I am not huge fan of adjustment mechanism with ADM, but this could be subjective.
Anyway, I tried to show above that reasons other than clamp design may and should play a role here.