PDA

View Full Version : Cutting SCAR17 barrel to GI SBR length?

QuietShootr
08-21-11, 10:01
who has done it with good results, and who did you use?

Hootiewho
08-21-11, 11:05
I'll bite. I have. Aside from the coolness factor, I really don't think I would have any other length barrel for the 17 other than the 13". Infact, if I bought another 17 today I would in a minute form 1 it too & send the barrel to Marvin Pitts. It is so full of win. A 7.62mm that handles like an M4. It feels more balanced with the shorter barrel. The muzzle blast difference between the 16" with a flash hider & the 13" with a flash hider is really not that noticible to me as well as others who have shot it. Infact, the 13" with a flash hider is worlds better than the 16" with FSC brake. I direct a Carbine match here in SC. We have a basic shoothouse at our club. I have had guys run me through the house with the 17, then do a 16" barrel 5.56mm AR with several different mfg's muzzle brakes, the 17 cqc is nowhere near as brutal as the brakes on the 5.56mm guns. Infact, I don't believe the blast to be near as bad as a 10.5" 5.56mm. If you put a can on it, obviously the shorter barrel makes it handle better. I would put the weight (by feel) at around a Colt M4A1 or 6721. I guess I only really see the benefit of a bit longer barrel on a precision rifle like the Mk20, just in negating bullet drop at distance. As Doc Roberts says, past 300-400 yards, no matter barrel length terminally most 7.62x51 ammo acts similiar regardless of barrel length. From hunting most of my life, where I live shots rarely exceed 500 yards, with most being inside 150-200. The 13" will own that kind of distance. It'll work further out, you'll just need to know your dope.

If you are interested, I helped some friends out from NFATalk.org the other day by doing some sound meter testing using the 17 cqc & a buddy's 762SD. I don't really get all wrapped up in the numbers, just pointing out that data is out there to give you an idea how it compares to other platforms. Those numbers are posted on their site.

I promise, if you do it you wont regret it. The 17 CQC is my favorite rifle. Infact, I would not cry if the ditched the 16 & made the 17 a common receiver with a reliable conversion kit as the receiver is about 1" longer and a little more comfortable for my grip/hold.

There are pics of mine in the SCAR pic thread as well as the SBR pic thread. I'm going to try & get some more posted this week.

pbr streetgang
08-21-11, 22:41
I just saw a few pics... Very nice set up. I would happily trade a Tavor for a Scar17s any day...

Ak44
08-21-11, 23:11
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49025&page=10

Hootiewho
08-22-11, 05:49
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/hootiewho6933/scarhmp5.jpg

Tell me what is not to like about this?

jonconsiglio
08-22-11, 06:54
I'm pretty sure that's where I'm headed with my 17 as well. After the thread on Lightfighter that Hootiewho posted in as well, I'm sold on the cut.

Ak44
08-22-11, 12:38
Yep I use the same subgun case for my Scar17 that is used for my K gun as well.

Hootiewho
08-22-11, 12:42
Sorry to direct away from this thread, but there is a good informative write up posted earlier today in the SCAR 17S CQC thread on lightfighter's STUDboard. I will try to get the poster to put it here. He ran one overseas and seemed very happy with the CQC variant.