PDA

View Full Version : LWRC REPR or Les Baer 308 sniper?

kenner
08-21-11, 10:05
Hello;

I'm in the process of buying a 308 AR platform rifle, I have narrowed it down to the LWRC REPR with a 20" bbl. or the Les Baer sniper with a 20" bbl.
I have a LWRC in 556 and like it alot, I just don't know very much about the REPR or the Les Baer, thought someone could help me out and give me some pro's and cons and help me decide.
I think the LWRC with the side charging handle in 308 would be nice, never tried one, but looks like it would be easier to operate than the std. charging handle.

Also looking for the best accuracy.
Thanks
kenner

DeltaSierra
08-21-11, 10:23
First, I would ask why you chose those two companies over some of the other companies out there.

I don't think that the side charging handle is an improvement over the standard charging handle, and I certainly wouldn't make an expensive purchase based on a funky charging handle...

Littlelebowski
08-21-11, 10:35
Neither. LMT MWS or LaRue OBR.

M4Guru
08-21-11, 10:39
Any Les Baer rifle is just a (usually cheap) parts gun at a premium price. Buy a rifle from a rifle company, not a 1911 semi-custom shop with a poor rep for CS.

The Larue OBR is the finest .308 rifle for the money, possibly at any price. I wouldn't overlook the SR25 for my purposes, but it costs almost twice as much at retail. The LMT MWS is a steal at it's street price, and has a lot of desirable features. It feels like a boat anchor to me but I can live with that.

I won't use anything taking AR10 mags. KAC pattern only, simply due to availability and cost. The SCAR-H offers enough benefit I would suck it up and buy mags.

OBR
KAC SR-25
LMT MWS
SCAR-H
Noveske N-6, provided it takes SR pattern mags

DocGKR
08-21-11, 10:46
M4Guru is RIGHT ON!

LaRue OBR or PredatAR and KAC EMC are definitely at the pinnacle of current .308 semi-auto rifles; the LMT MWS and FN Mk17/SCAR-H are also good options.

Bolt_Overide
08-21-11, 10:58
I have both the KAC SR-25 EMC and the LMT MWS, you cannot go wrong with either. If money isnt an issue, get the KAC.

I have no experience with the SCAR 17 yet, so cannot comment on that, I have shot the larue and was impressed with it.

nickdrak
08-21-11, 11:34
Introducing a side charging handle into the mix will require you to adapt to a new manual of arms for that particular weapon system. Definitely NOT "easier" to operate in the scheme of things. Stick with the same system as your carbine for a consistent manual of arms between the two.

If accuracy is your main concern, then you should take a serious look at the LaRue OBR.

kenner
08-21-11, 19:19
Hello again;
After reading all the different comments I must say, it has opened my thoughts towards other rifles.

For some reason I never gave La Rue a thought, from what I have read in the past the accuracy was so so, but he does make a good rifle, as far as the side charging handle on the LWRC, yes I can see that would change what I'm used to now.

I see that the Les baer rifles are not liked very much either, I'll look at the La Rue .
Thanks
kenner

nickdrak
08-22-11, 11:21
For some reason I never gave La Rue a thought, from what I have read in the past the accuracy was so so, but he does make a good rifle

From everything I have seen reported the OBR has been probably the most accurate semi-auto .308 sniper rifle available on the market.

GlockWRX
08-22-11, 11:34
Last years International Sniper Competition was won by a team using a 20" OBR and a 16" OBR. The OBR appears plenty accurate provided the shooter does their part.

M4Guru
08-22-11, 11:54
It was also used by the spotter of the winning team in the Open class IIRC.

markm
08-22-11, 12:01
I just don't know very much about the REPR

It's a complete hunk of shit. The thing wouldn't even work when they featured it on one of those Military Channel shows.

Those tards at LWRC couldn't even provide a funtional gun to be featured on TV for Pete's sake!!!

mrosamilia
08-22-11, 12:09
I now have 1500 trouble free rounds through my 16" REPRINT without any issues... I know that the LMT felt heavier when Made my decision. I cannot speak for the SR-25 but my two 15's are great. I just couldn't justify price.

Spooky130
08-22-11, 14:49
I can't wait to get a .260 Remington barrel for my MWS. That should be fun!

I'd love to have a KAC EMC but just too expensive after having picked up a SCAR 17 and an MWS. Probably the best blend of the two with relatively lightweight and good accuracy. As mentioned before the MWS is no lightweight.

Spooky

Sensei
08-23-11, 22:17
It's a complete hunk of shit. The thing wouldn't even work when they featured it on one of those Military Channel shows.

Those tards at LWRC couldn't even provide a funtional gun to be featured on TV for Pete's sake!!!

Mentioning LWRC is like chumming the waters...

The REPR had it's growing pains (mag catch out of spec for most mags and tight gas regulators requiring a tool). However, this was the first batch of guns that was quickly fixed. The current production (and initial production that got the factory corrections) run fine. My REPR is just as reliable as my OBR and MWS. However, the OBR is more accurate and the MWS less expensive. Thus, I agree that the OBR and MWS are better values. The SR25-EMC is more expensive, but is the most refined .308 that you will find.

JeepDriver
08-24-11, 08:06
At 300 yards, my 16" LMT out shoots my brother in laws 20" REPR. Haven't shot side by side past 300 yet.

mkmckinley
08-24-11, 08:21
After shooting KAC M110's for a year and having a couple buddies get OBRs and shooting those I'd opt for an OBR if it was my money.

Sensei
08-24-11, 22:09
After shooting KAC M110's for a year and having a couple buddies get OBRs and shooting those I'd opt for an OBR if it was my money.

Mkckinley, I hear you loud and clear on the M110. During my first trip to A-stan, our snipers favored the Smith Enterprise rendition of the M14 mainly because we could not keep the M110's reliably running in theater. Having said that, the SR25-EMC is a whole new animal that is head and shoulders above the M110. I'd rather take it into harm's way over ANY other .308/7.62 platform.

majette
08-24-11, 22:47
larue obr. not a scientific sample but with my unsteady hands and not-getting-any-better eyesight here is a group i shot out of one at 100yds:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/160/obr100yd.jpg

mkmckinley
08-25-11, 03:22
the SR25-EMC is a whole new animal that is head and shoulders above the M110. I'd rather take it into harm's way over ANY other .308/7.62 platform.

I guess it just goes to show my ignorance. I assumed the SR-15 EMC would shoot about the same as the rifle that the Army spends several thousand on. I'm glad to see they're putting out a great product. What are the big differences between the SR-15 EMC and the M110?
Our M110s never had a problem with reliability, it was more with the groups we could achieve. Some would shoot well and some were pretty mediocre. On the other hand the few times we used them IRL they didn't have any problem doing the job. They are well made weapons.

Sensei
08-25-11, 07:07
I guess it just goes to show my ignorance. I assumed the SR-15 EMC would shoot about the same as the rifle that the Army spends several thousand on. I'm glad to see they're putting out a great product. What are the big differences between the SR-15 EMC and the M110?
Our M110s never had a problem with reliability, it was more with the groups we could achieve. Some would shoot well and some were pretty mediocre. On the other hand the few times we used them IRL they didn't have any problem doing the job. They are well made weapons.

I would not say that you are ignorant. KAC really designed the M110 about 6-7 years ago, although it wasn't until 2008-2009 that we started to see them in theater. The SR25-EMC got introduced in 2010 and Knights used those 5 years to refine the .308 gas system and barrel. Here is a great post to sum it up.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50470

The results of these refinements are a lighter, compact, more reliable, and more accurate weapon. Most snipers in our BN were reporting 1-1.5 MOA with the M110 compared to the 0.5 MOA that is seen with the EMC (and OBR in many cases). Honestly, I think that the pace of technology for .308 semi-autos caused the M110 to be obsolete in the 4 year period from product development to fielding.

etseng
08-31-11, 00:58
Just got a LWRC REPR 308. First time with the rifle, my son shot the following groups at 100 yards. Amazingly accruate... !!

mrosamilia
09-04-11, 09:13
Very nice

a0cake
09-04-11, 19:12
Is there some kind of ill will toward GA Precision on this site? I'm surprised to not see the GAP-10 mentioned here.

I don't know if it has something to do with the whole George Gardner / Mark Larue pissing match or what? Anyway, I could give a rats ass about their personal differences. I'm just glad they're both around to provide us with outstanding products!

Admittedly, I do not own a GAP-10, but I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who does, and have spent considerable time on the range with it. Although I don't own the rifle myself, I feel I have enough hands on time with it to opine.

The level of accuracy that I've achieved with the GAP-10 exceeded my expectations. GA's guarantee of 3/4 MOA seems to be conservative. With 175Gr HPBT M118LR style ammunition, 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100M is the norm, with some groups heading down toward 1/4''. It's a little more difficult to shoot than a bolt gun, for obvious reasons, but if you are consistent the gun will perform.

I have extensive experience with issued KAC M110's. Of the two we had, one was a 1 - 1.5 MOA gun and the other was slightly worse. I was never able to achieve the same level of accuracy with the 110 as I can with the GAP. Of course, the newer SR-25's may offer some level of improvement. I cannot speak from experience on that.

I also cannot speak on the Larue OBR from personal experience. But I can say that the LW-50 SS barrel will likely last a good bit longer than the Bartlein found on the GAP. But, it's likely that the GAP will have a slightly higher level of inherent accuracy at the expense of barrel life.

Littlelebowski
09-04-11, 19:18
There is no animosity towards GAP here.

I strongly suspect that issued M110s/SR25s would perform better with other than issue ammo and solvents and in better conditions for the shooter

a0cake
09-04-11, 19:47
There is no animosity towards GAP here.

I strongly suspect that issued M110s/SR25s would perform better with other than issue ammo and solvents and in better conditions for the shooter

Good to know, GA are good people.

On the topic of the M110, we had M118LR (obviously) as well as Lapua 172 grain courtesy of the Latvian Army. The LR shot marginally better. Perhaps with a wider selection something else would have printed tighter groups.

As far as solvent goes we had Shooters Choice available and used it. This is the solvent KAC recommends. Stupidly, the Army forced them to remove the bottle of Shooters Choice from the kits and replaced it with CLP, which does nothing for copper. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Anyhow, the KAC barrel break in procedure was also strictly followed. by no means was I criticizing KAC's product, as it served us well. I was just never able to achieve sub MOA accuracy with the ammunition we had.

As far as conditions for the shooter go, none of us had problems printing sub MOA with the 24's in the same conditions, so I do not consider that a factor.

Wild Geese 1
09-08-11, 00:50
I very rarely post on any forum, and if the number of post's that a person makes on one of these forums is the manner in which a poster is judged, then just disregard this post.

But if you are still reading, I happen to own a Les Baer Monolith .308, and I have to say that it is the most accurate semi auto .308 that I have ever shot. I purchased numerous other high quality semi auto308 rifles trying to find one that was as accurate as I wanted. The Les Baer exceeded all of my expectations, it will shoot just about any quality ammunition good, but if you feed it the best ammunition, the accuracy is really amazing. I will not bad mouth the rifles that I went through to find this rifle, but they really do not hold a candle to the Les Baer. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups all day with the right ammunition all day long if the shooter does their part, and it does not seem to matter whether you use Federal 168's or 175's. If the shooter does their part there is no real problem in shooting under 1/2
inch 10 shot groups.

So with that said, now to the problem I have with Les Baer Rifles, or should I say the problem I have with Les Baer. The problem I have is
I am upset that Les did not personally contact me and let me know that his rifles were as accurate as they are a long time ago. If Les had done that I would have not wasted my time and money buying the other rifles purchased trying to find a gas .308 that was half as accurate, and reliable as his. I have tried to post a couple of groups shot, one is a 10 shot group, and the other is a 5 shot group, both were fired at 100 yards, the 5 shot group is 3/8 inch center to center, and 10 shot group is 3/4 inch with the flier, (my fault) but the first nine are 5/8 inch.

You will NOT go wrong buying a Les Baer Rifle.:smile::)

kenner
09-08-11, 21:08
Wow, those are some great groups, How would you say the overall quality of the Les Baer rifle is comparied to the others you had.
Thanks
kenner

Wild Geese 1
09-08-11, 22:59
Wow, those are some great groups, How would you say the overall quality of the Les Baer rifle is compared to the others you had.
Thanks
kenner

The quality of my Les Baer is as good as you can get, there are no cheap parts as some have said, everything is of the best quality. It is my understanding that Les makes just about everything in house for his rifles, except, the trigger, and the stock, and of course the bi pod.
The heart of any rifle is the barrel, and Les cuts all of his rifle barrels in house. He has found the correct formula there, which will be obvious to anyone that buys one of his rifles. There are a lot of rifles out there that a capable of hitting large steel plates at distance if that is the kind of accuracy that you are looking for, but if you are after a rifle that works all the time with quality ammunition, and has a 1/2 minute 10 shot accuracy guarantee, that is real, then buy a Les Baer.

There should be a link of the two 5 shot groups that came with my Les Baer rifle posted. :smile::)

kenner
09-09-11, 06:57
wild geese 1

Thanks for the info, yes that is what I'm looking for in a 308 rifle, the most accurate I can get in the AR platform, right now I'm shooting my Sako TRG-22 in 308, and it is a tac driver, so i'm trying to get that same level of accuracy with a semi auto platform.

kenner

Singlestack Wonder
09-10-11, 20:02
Did Baer ever figure out how to put a castle nut on correctly? :p

Kenner: Listen to what the the members are telling you. Go with the Larue OBR, LMT, or Knight, if you are going to invest that kind of money in a .308 AR.

B Cart
09-10-11, 20:52
Did Baer ever figure out how to put a castle nut on correctly? :p

Kenner: Listen to what the the members are telling you. Go with the Larue OBR, LMT, or Knight, if you are going to invest that kind of money in a .308 AR.

+1,000. The OBR, MWS, or SR-25 are by far your best choices in quality, reliability, and accuracy. Get one of those three and you won't be disappointed

Belmont31R
09-10-11, 21:05
Dont buy either of those brands.

MWS, OBR, or EMC.

$15/box ammo:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/7f77211c-1.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-10-11, 23:53
Dont buy either of those brands.

MWS, OBR, or EMC.

$15/box ammo:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/7f77211c-1.jpg

Belmont- no more posting pics of the M1A ammo until you tell us where to get some. Palmetto is always out of it and that's the only place I've seen it.

I have a LMT and I really like it. That said, if you just are looking for a 308AR and want to get your money back out of it when you've had your fun, it's hard to beat the OBR. It is a piece of art to behold and drives tacks. The LMT is more flexible, but OBR is just tops in the fun and fondle points area. I shot one and looked one over last summer, and the machining on it is just awesome and it performs.

keson
09-11-11, 04:44
LWRC REPR!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/endlessrainx/REPRpeq15.jpg

Wild Geese 1
09-11-11, 09:05
wild geese 1

Thanks for the info, yes that is what I'm looking for in a 308 rifle, the most accurate I can get in the AR platform, right now I'm shooting my Sako TRG-22 in 308, and it is a tack driver, so i'm trying to get that same level of accuracy with a semi auto platform.

kenner

You are welcome, check your mail on here.

As I said I will not bad mouth the rifles that I owned previously, looking for the kind of ACCURACY I am getting from the Les Baer, I will only say that, I have owned, or my shooting partner has owned most of the guns, plus some that have not been mentioned that people are saying are better that the Les Baer. Every one has a right to their own opinion, But can they say they have owned a Les Baer Monolith that they are bad mouthing, or have they even seen one in person!!!!!!!!!!!!
:):)

Belmont31R
09-11-11, 11:40
Belmont- no more posting pics of the M1A ammo until you tell us where to get some. Palmetto is always out of it and that's the only place I've seen it.

I have a LMT and I really like it. That said, if you just are looking for a 308AR and want to get your money back out of it when you've had your fun, it's hard to beat the OBR. It is a piece of art to behold and drives tacks. The LMT is more flexible, but OBR is just tops in the fun and fondle points area. I shot one and looked one over last summer, and the machining on it is just awesome and it performs.

Yeah that stuff is awesome for the price but Gold Medal Match seems to have come down in price to about 20/box. Either shoots good for me but I bought a ton of the M1A when they had it for 15/box.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/20rds-762x51-308-federal-m1a-otm-match-762-nato

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111621

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=953713383

09-29-11, 22:02
You won't regret buying any of the rifles mention in these posts. Buy the one that speaks to you when you handle & stroke it. If you love your rifle you will shoot it lots. Thats a good thing.

By the way I have a REPR (18") amongst others. It shoots just fine and reliable. The more I shoot it the more I like...time to suppress it. The FAL style charge handle doen not bother me. I shoot M4 style rifle more then anything (10 to 15K a year)and have no problem whatsoever transfering over to the REPR......but I am always shooting different stuff, rifle to handgun to shotgun etc....