PDA

View Full Version : Why do I see so many SF using Eotech over Aimpoint/Triji?

A10Burrp
08-21-11, 11:34
Just an observation from a lot of recent pictures, it seems the Eotech has become a LOT more popular for the face shooting crowd.

Any rhyme to this reason?

nimdabew
08-21-11, 11:39
Talked so someone that was going to get back in and they said their usualy mission time was less than 8 hours, and the benefits of the 65MOA + 1 MOA dot outweighed the need for a 50,000 hour run time.

I am also pretty sure they use what is issued to them and they don't get to choose what optic they want on their guns.

M4Guru
08-21-11, 11:42
The Eotech is issued by SOCOM for SOPMOD Block II, it's that simple.

A10Burrp
08-21-11, 11:51
The Eotech is issued by SOCOM for SOPMOD Block II, it's that simple.
553 I assume?

BWT
08-21-11, 11:54
Maybe a good followup would also to look at why people who can choose gear one way or another do?

Like why Kyle Lamb uses it, might be a good question, why doesn't Larry Vickers, or Magpul?

I'll say this, and full disclosure, I work in Technology for a living, I shoot, I have a lot of interest in firearms, and have spent a lot of time, and I own neither.

But, the benefit of the EOTech I've observed is the regular aperture seems to be quicker, and the wider/larger aperture of the EOTech seems to allow more view around the area.

The Downside to me is battery life, the buttons get can pushed/etc while being carried putting it in NV mode or turning it off, no lense cover but that's my opinion on it. (Aimpoint T1 and H1 arguably have the same issue)

I like the tacticle feel of the way of turning Aimpoints on and off, and obviously battery life.

I think both are very durable, with a slight edge to Aimpoint (There are battery modifications out there for certain Eotech models to improve that, but... not everybody's aware of that, and I don't consider things that one can to do to a piece of equipment to improve it down the road, as a good thing, because honestly, not everybody may be aware of that, or catch that information).

But I'd say the larger window, the bigger aperture are probably why someone would pick it.

I can tell you after shooting a carbine match yesterday, a Red Dot does give an edge, how big or small depends on the shooter, but I'd say you can't really go wrong either way, just *know* what you're buying and be okay with its limitations before you do so.

ETA: As for Trijicons, that'd boil down to usage, if you're shooting or plan on shooting at a certain distances, I'd let dictate what you're picking. If it's extended range, I'd say a trijicon would be a good idea, if it's longer distances, like outside 200m, I'd start considering a Trijicon... and if further than 400-500... I'd start considering a caliber other than 5.56mm.

Again, my opinions, I know soldiers have worked out to 600-800 meters with a 5.56mm and it's all about shot placement ultimately, but, that's my take on it.

I'll say this, I've seen a guy use a Trijicon Optic an an 11'' SBR with a Dr. Optic, and I just don't think it works. I'd say go with one or the other.

zacbol
08-21-11, 12:00
I personally have heard at least one *former* SF speak pretty positively about EoTech, saying he never had a single issue with his during private contracting work in Iraq, and another one slam them and advocate Aimpoint pretty exclusively. So obviously, as BWT points out, there is not universal consensus--though I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything *bad* about Aimpoint, only that EoTech's issues are sometimes overblown.

GeorgiaBoy
08-21-11, 12:06
Maybe a good followup would also to look at why people who can choose gear one way or another do?

Like why Kyle Lamb uses it, might be a good question, why doesn't Larry Vickers, or Magpul?

A direct quote from Kyle Lamb on one of his youtube videos:

Here is what I think. Shoot what works. EO Tech is fast, when they work. XPS seems to work better since the battery compartment is fixed. Aimpoint is slow but the T1 and new Aimpoints are bright and durable.

EOTech is Made in the USA.

Aimpoint is from Sweden.

I have been shooting the Leupold 1-8 a lot lately, not as fast up close but really makes life easy out to 400 yards.

Kyle

JW1069
08-21-11, 12:06
Can't speak to SF guys, but buddies in federal LE have said they prefer the circle dot reticle and big window to the Aimpoint dot.

mkmckinley
08-21-11, 12:13
I think the Eotech became popular a few years ago when the M68s were the only Aimpoints anyone was using. The SOPMOD kit included the EOtech for whatever reason. Most team guys don't get as nat's ass about their equipment as we do on here. Part of it comes from growing up in the big Army, so to speak, where you have to use what's given to you and set it up pretty strictly according to an SOP. When a guy goes to a team he's handed an M4 with an EOtech and that's what he runs. There are other optics available in the arms room, it's just that a lot of guys are used to the EOtech and don't care to switch.

BWT
08-21-11, 12:23
I think the Eotech became popular a few years ago when the M68s were the only Aimpoints anyone was using. The SOPMOD kit included the EOtech for whatever reason. Most team guys don't get as nat's ass about their equipment as we do on here. Part of it comes from growing up in the big Army, so to speak, where you have to use what's given to you and set it up pretty strictly according to an SOP. When a guy goes to a team he's handed an M4 with an EOtech and that's what he runs. There are other optics available in the arms room, it's just that a lot of guys are used to the EOtech and don't care to switch.

You know that's a great point as well, truthfully, I ordered a Bushnell TRS to just throw on my Midlength BCM for awhile, before I get an Aimpoint (or EOTech), and then I'm going to put it on my Arsenal SGL in an Ultimak rail.

But how many of us really have a lot of experience with all the optics out there that run about 500-600$? A lot of the guys that used them from early on or when the technology first emerged are from the Military/L.E.

Aimpoint has a lot of ties back to that, maybe a lot of the common day schools of thought come from that experience...

Another benefit to the Eotech, is as a civilian shooter (Where you're buying everything), you can mount it directly to a Picatinny rail, you don't have to buy a mount (which typically runs another $100).

Things to consider.

Dachs
08-21-11, 12:27
I use an Eotech because thats what I'm given at work and thats what I'm most familiar with.

I'd imagine thats probably why SF guys use it.

RichDC2
08-21-11, 12:35
I have heard one of the reasons SF like the EOTechs better is because "leading" targets on the move is easier than aimpoints and the recticle is faster to pick up. Battery life is not a concern, they are changed on the way to the mission.

scoutfsu99
08-21-11, 12:40
I'm gonna go with what the two Group guys already said...

C4IGrant
08-21-11, 12:50
Just an observation from a lot of recent pictures, it seems the Eotech has become a LOT more popular for the face shooting crowd.

Any rhyme to this reason?

Many items are issued via SOPMOD Block II. So MANY are stuck with what is in that package. That doesn't mean what everything in it sucks, it just means that they cannot select an Aimpoint (for instance).

C4

aaron_c
08-21-11, 12:58
I didn't see where anyone touched on this, but isn't someone using the XPS mounted on a SCAR as their standard issue weapon system now? The SEALs or someone?

Fenix1442
08-21-11, 13:33
The PJ's that fly with me and the entire aircrew on the PaveHawk use Eotechs due to being smaller and easier for the majority to use. Things get caught on laynards and other random shit in the 60 so the Eotech helps due to it being smaller compaired to the Aimpoint. I know the H/T1's are small but we don't buy them.

Only 1 PJ in a 3 man team usually carries a Trij or Elcan for distance.

justin_247
08-21-11, 13:39
This whole "the EOTech has a bigger window/aperture/greater field of view" idea is silly, in my opinion.

If you shoot both eyes open, it's irrelevant.

More often than not, the reason some use the EOTech over the Aimpoint or ACOG is because that's what they were issued and they don't have much choice in the matter. That's the main reason. Quit overthinking things.

A bunch of photos of soldiers using a piece of kit is meaningless. Again, quit overthinking things.

aaron_c
08-21-11, 13:44
This whole "the EOTech has a bigger window/aperture/greater field of view" idea is silly, in my opinion.

If you shoot both eyes open, it's irrelevant.

More often than not, the reason some use the EOTech over the Aimpoint or ACOG is because that's what they were issued and they don't have much choice in the matter. That's the main reason. Quit overthinking things.

A bunch of photos of soldiers using a piece of kit is meaningless. Again, quit overthinking things.

The FOV argument is irrelevant, yes- because EOTech and Aimpoint both have unlimited field of view. However, the larger glass on the EOTech does make it more forgiving of head position- in other words, you have your head positioned farther off to the left, right, up, or down, and still see the reticle, if that makes sense.

Failure2Stop
08-21-11, 13:47
Because it's issued.
The end.