PDA

View Full Version : The Lifetime target (Almost, Anyway)

Bat Guano
11-04-07, 21:43
After some looking a few years ago I located a supplier for the military chipboard, water-resistant "E" silhouette targets, and ordered about 25 or so. My mounting system was to use 1" x 2" survey stakes, attached with screws and 1" diameter washers.

My dates and round counts are approximate; but as nearly as I can tell I have been using the first target for two, perhaps three years. Most of my rounds through my M4gery have gone onto this target--say around 90%. Plus a fair number of .30 caliber rounds from M1 and M1A. Conservatively it looks like around 1500 rounds on that ONE target. Maybe more.

"Pasters" are low-bucks Harbor Freight electrical tape. The chipboard center is pretty much a spider web, held together by said tape. But it does patch up. 22 caliber holes are a little hard to find sometimes, but another square of electrical tape fixes it right up again. If I want to change the camo pattern I give it a shot of whatever earth-tone spray paint I have close to hand. The survey stakes get hit occasionally and hammering tends to split them after a while, but I keep replacement ones in the truck and it takes only a few minutes to put new ones on.

Admittedly this target is getting pretty raggedy; but all it has to do is to stand hammering into the ground and show hits. I was about ready to toss it last fall and had another one ready to go, but decided to see just how long I could abuse it. The electrical tape seems to be doing its job, and so far it hasn't fallen apart.

When it does I will probably split it down the middle to simulate a behind-a-wall vertical silhouette and get another year or two out of it. In any case I have gotten my money's worth out of this one.

Source:

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc., www.letargets.com/html/military.html
Chipboard "E" target, water-resistant, 19.5" X 40", NSN 6920-00-795-1806. 1-24, $2.39 ea.; 25+, $1.99 ea.