PDA

View Full Version : stance/grip?

philipeggo
08-22-11, 13:33
Depends what the situation is. If someone is shooting at me im not gonna ask him to hold on so i can square my shoulders and check my foot positioning . Though i admit that there are probably certain things that are universal.

prodgi
08-22-11, 13:36
Depends what the situation is. If someone is shooting at me im not gonna ask him to hold on so i can square my shoulders and check my foot positioning . Though i admit that there are probably certain things that are universal.

Well. yea that's a given. But when you train/shoot what should it look like?

prodgi
08-22-11, 14:41
What dose a proper shooting stance and grip look like?
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, so if you dissgree with someone else, lets agree that we can dissagree. OK?

samuse
08-22-11, 14:46
The way I was taught (I'm right handed):

stand with left foot slightly forward of right, most of the weight on the balls of your feet, much like a fighting stance where you'd be ready to throw a roundhouse kick, leaning slightly into the gun to manage recoil

right elbow close to side

left hand as far out as you can get it, thumb on top of the rail, pulling gun tight into the pocket

nose to the charging handle or close to it

it's pretty close to an iso stance with a handgun

Tiny Killer Robot
08-22-11, 16:57
Depends on the situation and how you shoot best in my less than valuable opinion.

If you normally wear body armor or plates, you are crazy not to shoot Iso to take advantage of the coverage. The weak spot on the wearer is under the armpit (and situationally dependant, the whole side of the body) and on a 45°, that is the target you are presenting.

If you aren't/don't wear a vest or plate, I think you need to profile the smallest target that you are capable of, while still beiing able to effectively put accurate fire on target. That means a 45 if you are standing, preferrably kneeling, and at best prone.

If you shoot lights out Iso and can't get comfortable Weaver, then even if you aren't Robocop'ed up you should shoot isosceles.

Wiggity
08-22-11, 18:14

stand with left foot slightly forward of right, most of the weight on the balls of your feet, much like a fighting stance where you'd be ready to throw a roundhouse kick, leaning slightly into the gun to manage recoil

left hand as far out as you can get it, thumb on top of the rail, pulling gun tight into the pocket

This. Except I like my thumb pointing forward instead of on top.

vecdran
08-23-11, 00:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmFR4x-iXNU

Guns-up.50
08-23-11, 11:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmFR4x-iXNU

Still funny

shua713
08-23-11, 12:26

samuse has it right

sboza
08-23-11, 12:53
I'm not going to try and explain proper grip and stance. I neither have the time nor the patientce to put into words what an accomplished shooter could show you in a couple minutes.

To answer the OP, no, on the day you will not have a perfect stance and grip. Stance and grip are luxories. We practice them perfectly on a square range so that when we have to use our weapon under steress, those practiced motions allow us to get closer to the ideal.

People forget what the primary function of stance and grip are - RECOIL MANAGEMENT. For simplicity I'll explain this in terms of a semi-auto pistol:

When you pull the trigger, two opposite forces are created.

1) The action of the bullet going forward creates an opposite reaction causing the gun to push straight back in our hands.

2) Since we are holding the grip (not limply), the slide goes to the rear until the locking block stops the rearword movement. This causes the gun to flip (muzzle goes up).

We use stance to control 1 and grip to manage 2. I can explain further but I think this should make sense.

You can hold the gun upside down, standing on one leg and hit a bullseye with proper sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control.

Pepole always forget that each of the fundamentals has a very specific role in shooting.

Again, on the day, you are going to do what you have to do. But we practice perfect stance and grip on a flat range so we may approach 60% or 70% of perfection on that day.

As a side note, I will say that nose to charging handle is a one size fits all training solution useful for getting a ton of shooters to a basic level of marksmanship by reducing variables. It's far from ideal for many shooters as our bodies are not all the same.

Surf
08-23-11, 23:54
Depends what the situation is. If someone is shooting at me im not gonna ask him to hold on so i can square my shoulders and check my foot positioning . Though i admit that there are probably certain things that are universal.Is this a statement or a question?

I also don't understand the last sentence about "things that are universal" and how it is meant to be applied here.

I am not sure how to reply to this?

Wiggity
08-24-11, 00:29
Is this a statement or a question?

I also don't understand the last sentence about "things that are universal" and how it is meant to be applied here.

I am not sure how to reply to this?

What would indicate that this is a question?

Surf
08-24-11, 00:59
The question mark in the title "stance/grip?" and the overall way the post itself reads, at least to me.

I am not sure what the point is of the post? Is the OP saying that the situation dictates stance and grip? If so, I think that answer is self evident. Or is he saying that a technically correct grip and stance isn't important because we won't be just standing still if in a gunfight? Or a combination of these, or none of these, or some of these things? Maybe it is a Ginko moment for me, but I am reading the post as there being a couple possible meanings and not sure how to address it so I asked for a bit of clarification.

sboza
08-24-11, 01:11
I'm with you surf, the OP's original post is neither well thought out nor is it well written. I responded with my general thoughts on the issue of translating flat range training techniques to the real world. Some clarification from the OP would be beneficial.