PDA

View Full Version : Adams Arms gas key need staking?

andy_ita
08-22-11, 15:54
Hi guys
I bought the Adam arms piston kit and i will install it.
I have to remove the gas key and install the one in the kit.

So my question ... I have to stack the new gas key or not?
Instructions tell to use the red loctite only.... but i dont know....

Andy

Eric D.
08-23-11, 01:04
Since you already bought the kit, I'll spare you the tirade on gas piston conversions, the info is here if you search for it.

That being said, *staking* is not necessary and I believe red loctite will suffice. Carrier key staking is critical on DI guns because there must be a seal between the key and carrier. With a piston, you no longer need that seal, you just need the key to stay put.

Hi guys
I bought the Adam arms piston kit and i will install it.
I have to remove the gas key and install the one in the kit.

So my question ... I have to stack the new gas key or not?
Instructions tell to use the red loctite only.... but i dont know....

Andy

JR TACTICAL
08-23-11, 01:21
I would call adams and see if you can send in the key for a credit on one of their new carriers that has the strike plate milled into the carrier. You have an old kit all their new kits have the new milled carrier. They have ok cs so I think they will work with you

andy_ita
08-23-11, 08:39
I just called Adam arms but as im in italy, they cant ship parts outside usa. Strange cause brownells and midway can... But they have other parts except the new carrier...

So ok for red locktite only.. Thanks

Todd.K
08-23-11, 10:29
If vibration can cause the screws to loosen on a DI why do you think the key being struck by an op rod will not?

The real reason they don't mention staking is probably because the key is hardened and can't be staked.

WAR FACE
08-23-11, 21:01
You absolutely should stake it how ever you should buy the special piston bolt carrier from Adams arms. I believe you have the older kit and I believe the newer kits come with the entire carrier. The full carriers have built in keys and you will be far less likely to experience carrier tilt. I have not heard much problem with the new carriers and tilt.

Have fun with your new system! :cool:

andy_ita
08-24-11, 21:51
I ask again toAdam Arms they told me the key doent needvto be stacked. I only need to be sure to clean the holes aind thread before using red loctite and wait 36 hours

Magic_Salad0892
08-24-11, 22:17
If a manufacturer told me that, I'd sell their product.

JR TACTICAL
08-25-11, 02:31
You absolutely should stake it how ever you should buy the special piston bolt carrier from Adams arms. I believe you have the older kit and I believe the newer kits come with the entire carrier. The full carriers have built in keys and you will be far less likely to experience carrier tilt. I have not heard much problem with the new carriers and tilt.

Have fun with your new system! :cool:

Oh they still have it, every kit I have installed when the customer comes back to add something else or have a detailed cleaning the first thing I check is the buffer tube and every single one shows wear marks in the tube...of course some are worse than others