PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Colt LE6940 ?

mtech
08-22-11, 15:53
Thinking of picking up a Colt LE6940. What's everyones experience with them. Likes and dislikes? Thanks!

ChocLab
08-23-11, 01:11
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33891

OTO27
08-23-11, 02:54
I personally dislike how short the rail is on them. If a monolithic upper/rifle is what you want I think LMT is the way to go here. Nothing against Colt, they are the standard by which others are measured, but the 6940's rail length just leaves something to be desired. If you dont mind that, then that rifle should perform as good as any other Colt.

ETA: I also forgot to mention, it is my understanding if you are wanting to change the barrel out for what ever reason you have to get a propietary wrench to do it as I believe their barrel nuts are different than a standard one.

Iraqgunz
08-23-11, 03:43
Not only do you need a proprietary wrench for the barrel, but you most likely will not get it off. Ken Elmore was speaking to me about this when I was at the shop a while back. If you never plan on disassembling it and you are happy with the rail set up then it should be fine.

I personally dislike how short the rail is on them. If a monolithic upper/rifle is what you want I think LMT is the way to go here. Nothing against Colt, they are the standard by which others are measured, but the 6940's rail length just leaves something to be desired. If you dont mind that, then that rifle should perform as good as any other Colt.

ETA: I also forgot to mention, it is my understanding if you are wanting to change the barrel out for what ever reason you have to get a propietary wrench to do it as I believe their barrel nuts are different than a standard one.

rob_s
08-23-11, 04:54
As mentioned, the issue is being tied to the rail, and the rail being less than ideal.

Every few years there's hope that Colt is getting caught up with what the commercial market wants, and they always drop the ball in tragic fashion. The 6940 as an SBR might not be quite so bad, but as a 16" gun it just doesn't make much sense.

It's a funny catch 22 though. Even if they had a longer rail, people would want it 2" longer, 2" shorter, thinner, lighter, whatever. People want a monolithic upper but they also want modularity.

Altoids
08-23-11, 07:11
I've had one for about 9 months and I'm happy with it. It's my first and only AR, so I wasn't very familiar with the different brands at the time. I wanted something reliable so I went with Colt. I'm not sure that I'd buy this particular model if I had to do it over again. I'd take a much closer look at Noveske, BCM, and maybe Daniel Defense, in that order.

The rail is short, but hasn't been a problem so far. I don't have a light on it though, and I am concerned about where I'd put one that wouldn't interfere with my grip. I do like that the monolithic rail system is very solid. I doubt I'll ever shoot it enough to need a new barrel so the proprietary barrel nut doesn't worry me much.

I'm not too crazy about the sights, but they work. I'm planning on putting an optic on it, and afterwards I doubt I'll ever use the iron sights much.

All the magazines I've tried so far, (pmag, HK, BCM, colt) drop free easily.

I did have trouble with it extracting wolf ammo. I'm not sure what's going on there. I've only tried about 1 mag worth though.

Magic_Salad0892
08-23-11, 07:40
It would be cool to buy one, and cut it to 10.3''.

I'd also replace the gas block sight with a KAC, or PRI unit.

markm
08-23-11, 08:10
On the upside. The few that I've got feedback on... including Pappabear's here on the site... are retarded accurate. Just amazing laser beams.

Pappabears gun is just stupid accurate.

Det-Sog
08-23-11, 08:30
Two thumbs up from me. I LOVE this thing. It's rock solid, and far exceeds my shooting ability. All though that does not take much now days.

I've had my first pony for 25+ years and have not had to remove the barrel yet. If it's such an issue... I'll just buy a new upper for my -40 when the time comes. Like I said... I love this thing.

For me, I had no use for the carrying handle on the 6920, and this thing already has the rails. Win-win. To each their own. I keep feeling guilty for buying the -40 instead of the -20 after reading this forum... Then I go shoot the thing and just smile ear to ear. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory, so the - 40 works perfect for me. All I have on it is an ACOG, Magpul AFG, and a small light.

Iraqgunz
08-23-11, 09:43
Maybe he will share the "wealth" when I come hom next month and let me shoot it. Does it still have that UBR in place?

On the upside. The few that I've got feedback on... including Pappabear's here on the site... are retarded accurate. Just amazing laser beams.

Pappabears gun is just stupid accurate.

C4IGrant
08-23-11, 09:58
The 6940 is a good gun IF you want a shorter rail. If not, then no.

We sell them for $1280 if interested: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6940

C4

markm
08-23-11, 10:57
Maybe he will share the "wealth" when I come hom next month and let me shoot it. Does it still have that UBR in place?

I can't remember. With the heat we've just been bench shooting... no good Tactical action in a while.

Fly8791
08-23-11, 11:54
I've been considering the 6940 for a month or two now.
Can anyone tell me if a EoTech G23 magnifier will clear the Matech BUIS?

I would like to run a EoTech/Magnifier combo at absolute cowitness height on this rifle.

C4IGrant
08-23-11, 11:57
I've been considering the 6940 for a month or two now.
Can anyone tell me if a EoTech G23 magnifier will clear the Matech BUIS?

I would like to run a EoTech/Magnifier combo at absolute cowitness height on this rifle.

It should.

C4

chamber143
08-23-11, 18:47
my experience...which i will add is very limited. My friend has one and ive shot it some. It is a colt so it is definately gtg but i hate the sights and there are far better rails out there. i just have to have a f fsb...flip ups i cant buy into. if it is for u than hell yeah get it. and i highly recommend grant at g and r...since bcusa is always out of what i want i just buy all my stuff from him. Great service, great products, fast shipping. dont get any better

NHCraigT
08-23-11, 19:27
I bought one about 2 months ago to add to the rest of my AR15 collection. Got it for $1299.00 locally = so there were no additional costs involved (i.e. - FFL transfer costs).

I have shot it a bit on my backyard range. It is dead-on accurate and completely reliable thus far. I like the fact that it has flip-up sights and a mono-rail. 2 things I don't have to purchase & also install/add-on.

I have also added other custom items that I prefer. So the rifle is 95% where I want it to be now (customized the way I want).

I am extremely happy with my purchase (6940).

That's my 2 cents.

devicemanager
08-23-11, 20:02
I bought one about 2 months ago to add to the rest of my AR15 collection. Got it for $1299.00 locally = so there were no additional costs involved (i.e. - FFL transfer costs).
Sales tax?

Ed L.
08-23-11, 20:18
I bought one in the spring of 2009. For the average person who just wants rails to put a light and a vfg on it is a great gun. I can also manage 1-1.25" 5 shot groups from the bench at 50 yards with an Aimpoint with 4 MOA dot.

Jfkudla
08-23-11, 20:25
Sales tax?

Regardless, you're going to be hard-pressed to beat the prices Grant is offering.

NHCraigT
08-23-11, 20:49
Sales tax?

I live in NH = No Sales Tax :no:

scottryan
08-23-11, 21:35
The best thing the 6940 has going for it is the removable bottom rail for exterior barrel cleaning when compared to other monoliths.

Other than that, I really can't get excited about it.

FChen17213
08-23-11, 22:20
Other than the short length of the rail, I don't see why this is a bad option. It's Colt quality. The rifle would serve just about everyone fine. In fact, hats off to Colt for even producing a new monolithic rail platform gun since Colt has always been known to have been stubborn to not make what the consumer wants. Now if they'll only make a 6720 with an extended rail with a mid-length gas system......

OTO27
08-24-11, 00:33
Now if they'll only make a 6720 with an extended rail with a mid-length gas system......

May be if they knew how much money they would make from us then they probably would....meh.. may be not.

turdbocharged
08-24-11, 08:13
I'm with Rob on this one. I'd love to have a 6940 with say a 11.5" barrel.

markm
08-24-11, 08:20
I'm with Rob on this one. I'd love to have a 6940 with say a 11.5" barrel.

Pappabear was so close to cutting his down into an SBR, but we shot it the day he was to drop it off, and he changed his mind because of the silly accuracy.

Just couldn't cut on the barrel of such an accurate gun.

chapperjoe
08-24-11, 08:25
how solid is the front sight? how is it deployed? thanks!

scottryan
08-24-11, 08:51

That is another problem. It is clunky.

scottryan
08-24-11, 08:55
Other than the short length of the rail, I don't see why this is a bad option. It's Colt quality. The rifle would serve just about everyone fine. In fact, hats off to Colt for even producing a new monolithic rail platform gun since Colt has always been known to have been stubborn to not make what the consumer wants. Now if they'll only make a 6720 with an extended rail with a mid-length gas system......

They had the chance to completely take over the monolith market and blew it.

The rail only comes in one length . It has no anti rotation female sling sockets at the rear of the handguard. It also isn't compatible with KAC panels.

They need to make it in 7", 9", 10", and 12" lengths and have the tools available to change the barrel. Make barrel lengths available in 10.3", 11.5", 14.5", 16", and 20".

Then they would have total control over the monolith market as this set up would have no competition.

OldState
08-24-11, 09:04
I can also manage 1-1.25" 5 shot groups from the bench at 50 yards with an Aimpoint with 4 MOA dot.

I'm not sure this is unique to the 6940. I get this accuracy or better from my 6920 with xm193 and ae223. The 6920 was made in May 2009 so maybe they had a run of good barrels.....

rob_s
08-24-11, 09:12
They had the chance to completely take over the monolith market and blew it.

The rail only comes in one length . It has no anti rotation female sling sockets at the rear of the handguard. It also isn't compatible with KAC panels.

They need to make it in 7", 9", 10", and 12" lengths and have the tools available to change the barrel. Make barrel lengths available in 10.3", 11.5", 14.5", 16", and 20".

I agree with all of this. Colt is becoming the Maxwell Smart of the commercial market. "missed it by that much".

chapperjoe
08-24-11, 09:19
That is another problem. It is clunky.

but is it firm? I could never get my PRI's to lock up rock solid....

Iraqgunz
08-24-11, 09:21
Ken would be the person to do it. The work I saw at the shop is incredibly clean. There ain't no Sons of Guns hill-billy shit happening there.

Pappabear was so close to cutting his down into an SBR, but we shot it the day he was to drop it off, and he changed his mind because of the silly accuracy.

Just couldn't cut on the barrel of such an accurate gun.

markm
08-24-11, 09:22
Ken would be the person to do it. The work I saw at the shop is incredibly clean. There ain't no Sons of Guns hill-billy shit happening there.

No doubt they'd do it good... but the gun is just such a shooter, he couldn't mess with it... barrel harmonics or whatever...

scottryan
08-24-11, 10:17
I agree with all of this. Colt is becoming the Maxwell Smart of the commercial market. "missed it by that much".

And the sad part about it is they have a monolith in a 12" length for a full size rifle.

They just need to cut it down for the 10" and 9" rails.

C4IGrant
08-24-11, 10:45

It is pretty solid I think.

C4

Det-Sog
08-24-11, 14:09

Mine locks up pretty solid. No complaints.

I have glass on it, and just use the FS for what it is designed as, a BUIS. It stays in the folded position, out of the way. It does not look that cool in the 'limp" position though... I will admit to this. I did not buy this for looks though.

This Colt seems to be pretty controversial. People either seem to love it, or hate it. I love mine, and would buy again in a heartbeat had I a do over. Dang, Grant... I wish that special was around when I picked mine up.

At the end of the day, whether it's the -20 or -40, they are both Colt. 'Nuff said. Get the one that you think suits YOU best.

scottryan
08-24-11, 14:52
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll294/shawnmt6601/colt%20signs/Colt_Extended_Range_Carbine_ERC.jpg

They could be offering this right now in 12" and with intermediate lengths (9" and 10")

Use government and LW profile barrels with DD/USGI/MK18MOD1 gas blocks.

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/14.5_inch_m4.jpg

Pappabear
08-24-11, 15:06

Get your ass back here. I still have that Bravo lower you built up for me on the gun with the UBR. The Colt lower is on one of my SBR's because the weight balances better. We've just been running to the range and shooting because its 115 degrees and setting up targets and the whole deal is too much. By Sept, it should be Maricopa blasting time again.

Pappabear
08-24-11, 15:13

Front sight is rock solid. It folds down but not as low as other folding sights. I have a Surefire on it that is partially blocked, but still works fine.

1.5 inch groups with an EOtech, makes sense. We can shoot sub-moa with a 4X ACOG at 100 yards. A RDS vs 4X Crosshairs is no comparison.

If I was looking to change stuff around, the 6940 is too proprietary, but if you want a solid Monolithic AR, its quite a nice gun.

RAM Engineer
08-24-11, 15:25
Agree 100% with Mr. Ryan, EXCEPT that I don't mind the 6940 flip up front sight as an option for folks who prefer barrel mounted front sights to rail mounted ones.

Iraqgunz
08-24-11, 15:38
I can't keep all your damn AR's straight. :D

Get your ass back here. I still have that Bravo lower you built up for me on the gun with the UBR. The Colt lower is on one of my SBR's because the weight balances better. We've just been running to the range and shooting because its 115 degrees and setting up targets and the whole deal is too much. By Sept, it should be Maricopa blasting time again.

markm
08-24-11, 15:53
I can't keep all your damn AR's straight. :D

No kidding. The postman usually drops off five NFA stamps each day too.

ATF just sent him a whole role of stamps cuz they were sick of him.

chamber143
08-24-11, 16:07

Seems to be the problem of alot of the larger companies. They just cant seem to keep up with the fast paced progress of this industry. I think this is why there are so many smaller companies who are truly innovative and give us great stuff. Guess there are too many people who have to green light shit and by the time it is...(insert your quote)

Ed L.
08-24-11, 18:47
I'm not sure this is unique to the 6940. I get this accuracy or better from my 6920 with xm193 and ae223. The 6920 was made in May 2009 so maybe they had a run of good barrels.....

I was going by memory. I pulled up the spreadsheet of groups, and found that I managed some 5 shot groups in the 3/4" range. This is with 55 grain ammo at the bench from 50 yards with the 6940 using an Aimpoint with a 4 MOA dot. With better ammo or a more precise optic I imagine it could have been. It just seemed that the 6940 shot tighter groups that the 6920 upper with the same ammo at the same distance with the same optic--not that the 6920 is inaccurate by any means.

OTO27
08-25-11, 00:37
We can shoot sub-moa with a 4X ACOG at 100 yards. A RDS vs 4X Crosshairs is no comparison.

Damn! thats crazy accurate, hell thats better than my MWS!

Magic_Salad0892
08-25-11, 04:49
Damn! thats crazy accurate, hell thats better than my MWS!

Damn. That's actually awesome. My girlfriend was looking at getting a 6940, and cutting it to 11.5''.

Might just tell her to do it now.

cathellsk
08-25-11, 09:23
Damn. That's actually awesome. My girlfriend was looking at getting a 6940, and cutting it to 11.5''.

Might just tell her to do it now.

Why don't you look into getting a 6945 with factory 10.3" barrel?
http://www.phoenixlawenforcement.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=240

brianandbosko
12-29-11, 21:01
I like mine pretty well. I agree that the rail could be a tad bit longer, but it is still managible and it does everything that I need it to do. So far I have had zero malfunctions after a couple thousand rounds through it. Im very pleased with it.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/brianandbosko/IMAG0206.jpg

Remmy
08-24-13, 02:06
It will thread a needle at 100 meters even with 62 grain ball.

Iraqgunz
08-24-13, 03:59
You do realize this thread is about 18 months old, right?

It will thread a needle at 100 meters even with 62 grain ball.

Remmy
08-24-13, 08:10
ahh, google searches fault.

Airhasz
08-24-13, 10:03
Old thread for sure but I enjoyed reading it and a lot of interesting opinions from some top m4c members. By the way, how short is the 6940 rail compared to the hand guards on the 6920 models? It looks the same from pictures, but I'm sure it must be shorter from reading all the comments. Thanks for any replies.

Auto426
08-24-13, 13:00
Old thread for sure but I enjoyed reading it and a lot of interesting opinions from some top m4c members. By the way, how short is the 6940 rail compared to the hand guards on the 6920 models? It looks the same from pictures, but I'm sure it must be shorter from reading all the comments. Thanks for any replies.

It's handguards are standard carbine length.

AZBoneCrusher
09-15-13, 15:22
Long time lurker, first time post (love this forum). I happily placed a Colt LE6940 on Law-a-way (i.e. holiday gift to myself) yesterday for $1,329 OTD. I debated between the LE6940 and the LE6920 SOCOM ($1,589 OTD). It really came down to the free float system, weight and balance of the LE 6940 over the LE6920 SOCOM. Good to hear the accuracy reports and overall reliability of the LE6940. In addition, nice to have a partner for my LE6920 :D