PDA

View Full Version : Converting an SR15 into precision rifle

amac
08-23-11, 07:35
I'm thinking of going the precision route. I've got an SR15 and have been looking at SPR builds. Question is, should I just swap the barrel or swap the complete upper? I'm being told the KAC upper isn't "ideal" for precision shooting.

I'm thinking WOA 18" rifle length attached to a MUR upper. Any reason I couldn't use the URX rail with this? Suggestions..

TehLlama
08-23-11, 08:00
I'm thinking of going the precision route. I've got an SR15 and have been looking at SPR builds. Question is, should I just swap the barrel or swap the complete upper? I'm being told the KAC upper isn't "ideal" for precision shooting.

I'm thinking WOA 18" rifle length attached to a MUR upper. Any reason I couldn't use the URX rail with this? Suggestions..

I would also suggest running the 18" SPR barrel of your choosing with the MUR 1A upper and a URX of your choice. I'm pretty sure both Centurion and High Caliber have those as default offerings, MSTN will build one off a Noveske SPR barrel, and there are a few other places that own the wrench to install the URX-II so you can use a barrel of your choosing.

With that much invested in the rail system and upper, and eventually on the glass and match ammo, I'd say that a Centurion, HCS, BCM Stainless, or Noveske barrel would be worth the cost after a pretty short amount of time.

If I hadn't found a deal on a used Mk12/DMR upper with a Lite rail, I'd have gotten exactly that upper (Centurion Mk12 barrel, URX-II, MUR 1A), and iirc III has specifically mentioned how much he likes that exact upper.

eternal24k
08-23-11, 08:51
I would just do an upper swap. That SR15 is a desirable upper and a great configuration, and an easy sale if you chose.
Depending on your skill/desired level of involvement, I would either buy a pre-configured upper (good suggestions above), or pick a rail that you can easily install and build an upper to your specs.

amac
08-23-11, 11:03
Is there any way besides email to reach Centurion? Otherwise, I'm thinking WOA is much easier route. And, based on others here, I still get a high quality barrel.

bp7178
08-23-11, 11:53
I'm being told the KAC upper isn't "ideal" for precision shooting.

By who? Granted its a chrome lined barrel, but I've never heard of any reports of the SR15 being an inaccurate rifle.

Are you not getting good groups with the SR15? I'm assuming you're using match ammo.

The heart of the SR15 is the barrel, gas system and bolt carrier group. As such, it would make more sense to sell the existing upper and build something else. Unless you just want the actual upper receiver to match the KAC lower. I don't think the SR15 barrel and its matched bolt carrier would have much of a value individually.

amac
08-24-11, 20:12
Looking like an upper swap out. I'm looking at either a 18" WOA or possibly a Centurion (price and availability?) SS rifle length barrel, low pro gas block, MUR 1A upper, Centurion 12" rail and best possible fit LMT BCG.

I think this will be two steps ahead of my shooting skills. :)

1911-A1
08-24-11, 22:02
By who? Granted its a chrome lined barrel, but I've never heard of any reports of the SR15 being an inaccurate rifle.

Are you not getting good groups with the SR15? I'm assuming you're using match ammo.

The heart of the SR15 is the barrel, gas system and bolt carrier group. As such, it would make more sense to sell the existing upper and build something else. Unless you just want the actual upper receiver to match the KAC lower. I don't think the SR15 barrel and its matched bolt carrier would have much of a value individually.

It's not that the SR-15 is inaccurate, it's just not a "precision" rifle and you probably shouldn't expect SPR-like accuracy from it.

Magic_Salad0892
08-24-11, 22:22

If this sale had been going on like 8 months ago, I'd have bought his bolt, and barrel extension. Not the barrel. Just the extension.

I'm not the only one...