PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense S2W barrel profile: Are they gonna make a 16" version?

0reo
08-23-11, 10:05
So I've been eyeballing the DD S2W barrels. It's got everything I want except it's 18" instead of 14.5-16". Any harm in having a reputable company chop a couple inches off & re-thread so I get the length I want? Or should I just stop being picky & buy the govt. profile in 16" instead?

bp7178
08-23-11, 10:09
I was looking at them a while back and had asked the same question. IIRC, they had them, but they weren't on the site, you had to call and ask for one.

0reo
08-23-11, 10:10
I was looking at them a while back and had asked the same question. IIRC, they had them, but they weren't on the site, you had to call and ask for one.Seriously? That's really good news. Thanks. Makes me happy. Been wanting one like that for quite a while.

0reo
08-26-11, 16:40
So my 16" 5.56 S2W barrel came in the mail today. I must say this thing is a work of art. A real beauty. Can't wait to get the gun assembled & run-in!

bp7178
08-26-11, 17:24
Post some pics when you get that bad dog built!

I think that is one of the more intresting barrels on the market.

0reo
08-26-11, 22:24
Forward of the gas block I don't think you'd notice it from a pencil barrel.

I noticed that these barrels have been finished on a lathe, or at least it appears that way. Instead of the typical hammer-forged surface texture there's what I recognise as a lathe-tooling surface texture.

I wonder why DD hasn't listed these anywhere yet?

bp7178
08-26-11, 22:54
IIRC the hammer forging just forms the chamber, lands and grooves. The outer surface would still have to be turned down.

It was over six months ago when I had emailed them about it, I'm surprised they haven't been listed.

I was also told the profile is slightly heavier than a government, but should be good for 1-1.5 MOA with good ammo. Very good accuracy for a chrome lined barrel.

0reo
08-26-11, 23:25
I'm used to a stainless hbar varminter so by comparison this feels like a featherweight.

bp7178
08-27-11, 03:03
The profile just looks like how every barrel should be.

Be sure to post some info about the S2W barrel. I'd be courious to know how heat effects it.

0reo
08-27-11, 06:59
Would you expect the heat effect to be better or worse?

What else do you want to know about it?

bp7178
08-27-11, 12:21
I wouldn't expect much of a POI shift at all when heated, not with that much material at the chamber end.

There are a few people on this, and other, forums who think profile makes no difference as to the precision the rifle is capable of. Someone had documented groups from three Colt barrels. A HBAR, Goverment and A1. Not at all surprising, the heavy barrel was the tightest. I'd have to dig it up, but I thought the A1 profile did open up when heated.

Stephen_H
08-27-11, 13:21
[QUOTE=bp7178;1085261]IIRC the hammer forging just forms the chamber, lands and grooves. The outer surface would still have to be turned down. QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.

Stephen

mkmckinley
09-06-11, 11:08
I just ordered a 16" to try out via phone order. I like the idea of these barrels a lot, we'll see how the perform. From a post on TOS:

"The 16" is 2lbs 2oz and the 18" is 2lbs 5oz."

Singlestack Wonder
10-20-11, 21:34
What does the "S2W" stand for?

0reo
10-20-11, 21:39
Strength to Weight. It's just a continuous taper from breach to mussel like you'd find on a typical bolt action rifle.

I did get the 16" version. Very high quality product. I have yet to mount it & shoot it. Gonna be a while for that.

JR TACTICAL
10-20-11, 21:42
What does the "S2W" stand for?

Strength 2 Weight

0reo
07-19-12, 01:22
Had this barrel out for a comparison shoot today. Finally.

I set up on a bench with a Rock BR front rest and Edgewood Minigator rear bag. This was the first use of these items as well and I couldn't get the rear bag to stay in one place which had a small negative effect on my accuracy.

I also used a 16x Bushnell Elite 6500 scope. Wanted to test the gun / barrel, not my vision.

Ammo was my reloads and some cheap wally world Federal 100pk. My reloads were carefully crafted but in no way optimized for this gun. Used a 77gr Nosler hpbt, FC brass, Wolf lrm primer, TAC powder. Don't remember the charge weight but they were medium-light loads.

Results- This barrel easily shot 1moa with my reloads and I suspect that if I took the time to work out a dedicated load optimized for this gun I could get sub-moa sure enough. The cheap federal stuff shoots like shit in every gun I've tried it in so far but this barrel did a quick 1" 5-shot group at 50yds with it while I was getting the scope on paper. Thats plenty good for rds / iron work, for my eyes anyway.

Long story short, this is an excellent barrel and I'm a happy customer.

For the record, I was shooting 5/8 moa with the same reloads at 100yds & 200yds in my 20" lothar-walther stainless hbar.

Rockhopper
12-19-12, 23:26
Digging up old thread here. Any longer term report? And just to double check, these barrels are NOT chrome lined correct?

0reo
12-21-12, 03:15
They ARE infact chrome lined.

Long term report (limited time to shoot these days means you can't really call it that) is that I'm very satisfied. I'd like to build a 6.8spc upper with one but between the gun grabbers going batshit crazy and saving to relocate my family to more friendly territory its not a realistic priority any time soon.

Rockhopper
12-21-12, 03:17
Good to hear. I just ordered one yesterday.