PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS??

mark5pt56
11-05-07, 10:23
Has anyone seen, handled or shot this pistol yet? I've been asking a local shop about it, but if they don't have a piece in, they don't care to find one.

Mark

Hersh
11-05-07, 11:40
Same boat here, when I ask about it people just scratch their heads. I did find this forum http://ppstalk.com/forum/. Iirc, there's a thread about distribution and availability.

If you find one post back and let me know what you think.

Jim D
11-05-07, 12:37
I shot a few hundred rounds through one....I didn't care for it.

We had the gun as a rental for a couple weeks...it needed to get a few hundred rounds through it before it'd run a box w/o jamming (FTE).

I DID NOT like:
The mag release...it's almost an inch long.
The trigger...gritty as all get out. Makes the Glock trigger feel good.
The grip/ mag interface....too much of the grip was on the magazine extension, invited getting your hand pinched during reloading.
It's a Walther.

Things I DID like:
It was slim and lite.

I'd still take a G26 over it any day of the week.

mark5pt56
11-05-07, 13:38
Interesting, That's why I want to ask around and hopefully shoot one before buying.

Thanks!

Mark

czydj
11-05-07, 19:51
First, I'm no grand master. I'm just a hobbyist/enthusiast but I lean towards perfectionism...

Here's one of my first range reports:

Very accurate out to 20-25'. Didn't see much point in going out any further, but I'm sure if I can aim the PPS on target, it will hit it.

Low recoil, even with +P ammo. Double-taps were surprisingly closely bunched, even out to 20'.

Went through 300 rounds of WWB, one FTE early on. None later.

I'm not crazy about the location of the trigger safety. It was rough on the finger pad after 200 rds. Maybe I'm not supposed to shoot so many in a row!

FWIW, the performance/accuracy was quite good with WWB and 124gr +P ammo. I can't wait to get to an outdoor range and try some steels!

I've since run around 500 more rounds through my FE with no FTF/FTE's using each of the 3 mags. It is a blast to shoot. Very low recoil, very accurate and very slim. I like the way it fits in my hand with the small backstrap and the 7 rd mag. For reference, I use the med backstrap on my M&P9. The mags have pinched my hand a few times, but I attribute that to getting used to how the pistol works. My trigger is not gritty, it is very smooth. Once I got used to the mag release, I kind of like it. It is challenging going back and forth between a standard mag release and a Walther release. I reckon that will keep me young!

hth!

mark5pt56
11-05-07, 20:07
I like it! Have you shot a G26 and how does it compare?

Mark

czydj
11-05-07, 20:24
I haven't shot a G26 yet, but I'm heading over to the range in the next couple of days. I'll see if they have one I can run a few rounds through and do a side-by-side comparison.

One caveat, more holster makers are starting to build for the PPS, but there isn't a lot out there yet. I found out through the grape-vine that the HK P2000SK was a close match. I gambled and got an extra body for my comp-tac IWB holster and the PPS fits into it quite nicely. I do like how easy it is to conceal. Thin is good! I plan to leave the 7 round in the pistol carrying concealed and then put the small mag in a pants pocket.

Lumpy196
11-05-07, 21:21
Is the magazine release part of the trigger guard?

SuicideHz
11-05-07, 21:24
The mag release is like all new Walther mag releases and is like the H&K just longer and doesn't stick out sideways as much.

They are meant to be released with the right index finger on the right side if you are a righty, left index on left side if you are a lefty.

czydj
11-07-07, 21:46
I got a chance to hold a glock 26 tonight, but they didn't have one in their rental bin for me to shoot. I thought the grip was a little too fat and felt blockish in my hand. Advantage Walther - Police Pistol Slim, emphasis on SLIM.

The grip was definitely too short, but the counter guy said I could get a mag extension for it. I'll call grip length a wash.

The height of the two pistols was nearly identical. I set them up side by side, placing them both on the slide, sights down and with the PPS 6 round magazine and the 10 rounder in the glock. Advantage to the glock on capacity.

IMHO, the glock appears very "industrial" looking. Kind of like your Dad's station wagon vs. that GTO the kid down the block had, when you compare it to the all black version of the PPS or even in the FE version if the color scheme doesn't offend you. Advantage Walther.

I sure wish they would have had one to shoot, but even if I hit 10 bullseye's at 25yds I don't think I'd buy one. It just didn't stir my soul. YMMV. One other note, I shot my PPS again tonight and I definitely have to do something about that sharp trigger safety. I'm thinking I'll eventually get it out to one of the smith's we all rave about and ask them to take the sharp edges off that feature.

Jim D
11-07-07, 23:46
One other note, I shot my PPS again tonight and I definitely have to do something about that sharp trigger safety. I'm thinking I'll eventually get it out to one of the smith's we all rave about and ask them to take the sharp edges off that feature.
IIRC, it's only plastic....sandpaper and a gentle hand should do the trick.

czydj
12-03-07, 19:41
IIRC, it's only plastic....sandpaper and a gentle hand should do the trick.

I did finally get out the 400 grit sandpaper and gently take the edge off the safety lever. Much nicer to shoot for a long time now!

I shot a few hundred rounds through one....I didn't care for it.

We had the gun as a rental for a couple weeks...it needed to get a few hundred rounds through it before it'd run a box w/o jamming (FTE).

I DID NOT like:
The mag release...it's almost an inch long.
The trigger...gritty as all get out. Makes the Glock trigger feel good.
The grip/ mag interface....too much of the grip was on the magazine extension, invited getting your hand pinched during reloading.
It's a Walther.

Things I DID like:
It was slim and lite.

I'd still take a G26 over it any day of the week.

I did get around a crunchy trigger. When I first got my PPS, the trigger was as smooth as glass. BUT, because I have to fiddle, I used some Slip2000 degreaser and degreased a pistol that was working perfectly fine to make it work "better". (My fix until broke syndrom...) The PPS's smooth trigger went into extra-crunchy mode. I wound up having to disassemble the striker assembly and use a little small dab of George's Lithi-shield on a couple areas of the striker. I was just doing some dry firing practice and again, it's as smooth as silk...