PDA

View Full Version : Teaching wife how to shoot.

wwright521
08-23-11, 23:26
Hey guys, Got to teach my wife how to shoot. There is one problem... My wife is right handed but is left eye dominant. Is there any particular ways to help her out? And she is fairly new to shooting..

DemonRat
08-24-11, 00:02
My wife is the same way. At first I just let her shoot the way that is comfortable for her. But then realized that's not gonna work. She wasn't hitting the target where I thought she was aiming and was complaining of her poa/poi.One thing I did was to help her understand that the sight picture and proper eye alignment is crucial to hitting the POA/POI. My wife is working at using her left trigger finger right know. She has said its more comfortable but its hard to get used to. I have noticed her shot placement is getting better now that her dominant eye is being used correctly. Where she used to shoulder the rifle on her right and was using her left eye. Now everything is on the left and she is getting a lot better on her shot placement. Which is making her happy. She is using our Ruger 10/22 right know as soon as she gets really good with that I am buying her a .243. Not sure what brand yet but I am looking into a Remington 700 or Savage with an Accutrigger. I showed her how my sight picture is with a video camera mounted to my brain basket.then put it on her head and she saw how messed up and awkward hers was. Not sure if that's the way to go with your wife as mines more visual then anything else. But she understood what I was trying to get her to do and now she likes going shooting and shoots most of the ammo we bring. No one ever taught her how to shoot and she just did what comes naturally to most left eye right hand dominant shooters when they first start out. Hope this helps but this is what I experienced with my wife.

BCmJUnKie
08-24-11, 00:56
Another thing that might help, take her eye pro and black out one side and tell her keep both eyes open.

My girl shoots funky too, she left handed and left eye dominant, but cant close just one eye lol. I taped up her sunglasses and now she grouping awesome

Rob Haught
08-24-11, 16:16
Hey guys, Got to teach my wife how to shoot. There is one problem... My wife is right handed but is left eye dominant. Is there any particular ways to help her out? And she is fairly new to shooting..

Teaching wife to shoot: Exhibit A in your mental hygiene proceeding!
Just kidding! Try shifting head slightly so gun is aligned with dominant eye and bring gun over slightly to meet in the middle. Its not impossible to overcome, many shooters do it.

Pork Chop
08-24-11, 16:43
Teaching wife to shoot: Exhibit A in your mental hygiene proceeding!
Just kidding! Try shifting head slightly so gun is aligned with dominant eye and bring gun over slightly to meet in the middle. Its not impossible to overcome, many shooters do it.

This.

My wife has this problem & shoots this way. It took a little practice but she's pretty deadly now! It will eventually become natural for her.

TehLlama
08-24-11, 22:50
This.

My wife has this problem & shoots this way. It took a little practice but she's pretty deadly now! It will eventually become natural for her.

Same here. Difficult to overcome at first, but once she got the hang of it shooting side by side with me, she's gotten better at close range stuff (Table II/III USMC) than the people I work with.

wwright521
08-25-11, 23:30
So she really needs just to get out there and practice and see which way fits her the best?

Pork Chop
08-26-11, 08:17
So she really needs just to get out there and practice and see which way fits her the best?

Just have her hold the pistol in position then, slightly turn her head to line up her dominate eye with the sights. Then slightly move her arm/gun left/right so that the dominate eye, the sights and target all line up. Just as you would normally. Basically, she's just cocking her head to one side as if she only had one eye. Does that make sense?

This was taught to my wife at an NRA pistol class and it absolutely works with a little practice.

wwright521
08-26-11, 09:14
Just have her hold the pistol in position then, slightly turn her head to line up her dominate eye with the sights. Then slightly move her arm/gun left/right so that the dominate eye, the sights and target all line up. Just as you would normally. Basically, she's just cocking her head to one side as if she only had one eye. Does that make sense?

This was taught to my wife at an NRA pistol class and it absolutely works with a little practice.

Yes that does help.. That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Pork Chop
08-26-11, 09:43
Yes that does help.. That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

You are most welcome.:)

When you think about it, it makes sense. When those of us that are normal shoot:p, all we are doing is lining up our dominate eye with our dominate hand in a line across the sights, toward the target. To do this with a cross dominate eye, just turn your head to the side (only a couple inches) so that your dominate eye is now in line. She will only need to turn her head slightly (1-2 inches) and move her pistol 1-2 inches toward the side of the dominate eye so that it all lines up.

My wife took around 100 rnds to get scary accurate with this method. She says it feels totally natural now & she doesn't even have to think about it when she draws, which makes sense because she is again using her dominate features on instinct, rather than a learned method.

Let us know how it works for her?

Good luck & be safe.

Cerberus
08-26-11, 16:33
I have to re-teach wife to shoot every time we go to the range. Funny how she never forgets when I forget to take the garbage to the curb. Selective memory?
:dirol:

WC 2-3
08-26-11, 20:57
My wife has the same issue. She tilts her head over.

I think we should take back their right to vote and drive until they figure this out.
:D

wwright521
08-27-11, 22:57
My wife has the same issue. She tilts her head over.

I think we should take back their right to vote and drive until they figure this out.
:D

Haha... You try first and let me know how that one goes.. I am sure they will take away a few things themselves.. haha.

A-Bear680
09-10-11, 14:16

I'm cross dominant as well . I usually use a shoulder gun off my left shoulder & a handgun right handed. At least one of the most respected national carbine instructors is cross dominant . His regional certified instructor network ( maybe not the precise words ) might be the go-to guys for this . New shooters need rule of engagement stuff , too. Run searches for Ayoob , Po'boy Special and Hensoldt for more info. The right names will pop up .
Hope that helps.

DeltaSierra
09-11-11, 15:44

Here is what I usually did with right handed, left eye dominant shooters...

Have them switch to shooting left handed.

It worked very well, almost all the time.

While it takes some getting used to, the group sizes were generally quite noticeably better.