PDA

View Full Version : What torque spec for DD Aimpoint Mount

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-24-11, 00:43
I've searched and searched but I just can find the torque specs for the DD Aimpoint mount. The cross bolts appear to be threaded into an aluminum frame with Helicoils inside the frame. I don't want to over torque them but I don't want it coming loose...

Should I use blue thread lock on the screws or just torque them down and leave them?

Thanks!!

Thomas M-4
08-24-11, 00:45
I would use blue thread lock and just tighten to wrist tight.

CoryCop25
08-24-11, 01:35
Anything that is not QD, I torque to 17 inch pounds unless specified by the manufacturer. Eotech mounts, Acog mounts, DD T-1 mounts etc.. I also apply thread locker.

ra2bach
08-24-11, 01:58
the old motorcycle tuners' guide says to "tighten'er till she squeaks, then back it off an eighth".

I wouldn't recommend this... :D

seriously, I agree with hand tight and use thread locker. also make sure it is pushed forward against the lug before you tighten it..

goteron
08-24-11, 12:03
Anything that is not QD, I torque to 17 inch pounds unless specified by the manufacturer. Eotech mounts, Acog mounts, DD T-1 mounts etc.. I also apply thread locker.

Are you applying 17ip with thread lock. That is a higher torque without.

CoryCop25
08-24-11, 12:53
Are you applying 17ip with thread lock. That is a higher torque without.

That is with. Unless specified by manufacturer. For example, eotech says no to thread locker.

JSantoro
08-24-11, 13:57
Aimpoint spec is 15 in-lb, for those small screws that attach the micros to LR mounts and similar.

Trijicon spec is 30 in-lb for the screws that go into their ACOG-series optics through their mounts. Given the size of the cross-screws on the DD, I'd match that, but it's worth asking DD for their spec. They're bound to have one.

If you do a bit more, no drama.

If without a torque tool, do as Thomas and ra2 mentioned. Having slotted screws makes it somewhat easy to judge; snug it up with the driver (while applying fwd pressure to mate the recoil lug of the mount to the forwardmost surface of the rail slot), then "oomph" it another 90-180 degrees of turn. Let sit to allow your thread-locker to cure per instructions. Apply witness marks to screw and mount, and mount to rail.

Better to get a torque driver, but you're sure not going to self-immolate if you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=torque+driver&x=0&y=0

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-24-11, 17:46
I ended up torquing them to 20ip with blue thread lock. Hopefully I'm good to go for a good long time.

Thanks guys!!