PDA

View Full Version : Paying Kids (Who Don't Want Be There) To Go To School

woodandsteel
08-24-11, 13:07
My head just about exploded.

To combat truancy, a school district is paying about 70 problem students to stay in school. If they attend the first three weeks without an absence, and attend some after school sessions, they'll get $100.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Camden-to-Pay-Students-100-Each-to-Not-Skip-School-128311368.html#comments

To receive the promised $100, each of the 66 targeted students must attend classes as well as conflict-resolution and anger-management workshops until Sept. 30

"We had talked about it [truancy] for a long time," Camden Mayor Dana Redd told the Inquirer. "We wanted to come up with an innovative model."

For Frick Sakes!

SteyrAUG
08-24-11, 13:22
I'd rather the $100 go towards keeping problem kids with anger management and conflict resolution problems OUT of the damn schools so the real students don't have to put up with that shit.

And of course I'd rather that money go towards truant officers who go around and simply arrest these kids whenever possible and establish an arrest record that way when they do something serious it is not a first offense but an established pattern of behavior.

Then they can go to a supervised education facility designed for problem kids where they can either get their shit together and rejoin society or simply graduate up to adult jail.

GermanSynergy
08-24-11, 15:29
The taxpayers will be paying for them either way, either with this scheme or via the criminal justice system/welfare...

dhrith
08-24-11, 16:16
$6600 that would have been better spent on leather belts, truncheons, and tasers.

Jellybean
08-24-11, 18:52
$6600 they could have given to me so I can pay some bills off and buy more guns and ammo....:p

In other news- I'm pretty sure this is more widespread but the Richmond Times (VA) just ran an article about how some schools in said area blatantly allowed students to cheat- more or less gave them the answers straight up so they could get a more favorable report for the effectiveness of their school's teaching (or some such).

Frankly, our school system is turning into a big joke. If I ever have kids, they will not be attending.

ChicagoTex
08-25-11, 03:07
http://www.filehurricane.com/viewerthumbnails/9182008101104AM_potential.jpg

The sooner everyone in America accepts it, the sooner we can start actually improving education, instead of lowering our system nationally to the level of people who literally WANT to fail.

ThirdWatcher
08-25-11, 04:16
If they attend the first three weeks without an absence, and attend some after school sessions, they'll get $100.

Damn, I mighta stayed in school if they had a deal like that... naw, maybe not, the Army was waaaaay more fun than high screwl. :D

Moose-Knuckle
08-25-11, 04:22
Here in TX we have "alternative schools" for "troubled" teens.

In the city I work for I have handled 21 year olds who are classified as freshman in high school.

This system is done broke, eject. . .eject! :help:

Social engineering at it's pinnacle! :bad:

I say hand'em a Gawd damn shovel and hoe and set their oxygen thieve'n asses to cleaning ditches.

variablebinary
08-25-11, 07:52
The problem is you end up paying as a tax payer either way.

Pay them to go to high school
Pay their welfare
Pay their legal aid lawyer
Pay their prison stay

If someone doesn't complete HS, there is a 100% chance they will end up taking more than they ever paid in.

If they do complete HS, the odds are greater that they will get a job or get a degree and become tax payers. As a nation we literally cannot afford to have a massive population of high school dropouts.

High school dropout parents produce high school dropout kids, so the problem is exponential.

glockeyed
08-25-11, 08:05

The sooner everyone in America accepts it, the sooner we can start actually improving education, instead of lowering our system nationally to the level of people who literally WANT to fail.

amen!

also a little pride in their job. i don't care if you are a McD' cashier. impress me by doing it well.

Abraxas
08-25-11, 08:13
The taxpayers will be paying for them either way, either with this scheme or via the criminal justice system/welfare...

So the choice is to pay a likely conservative cop to deal with them or a likely liberal teacher.

GermanSynergy
08-25-11, 11:50
So the choice is to pay a likely conservative cop to deal with them or a likely liberal teacher.

Many of these kids come from families that are either dysfunctional, fractured or place zero value on education. Many of them will, as others have pointed out, become wards of the system, either by being incarcerated or getting gubmint "benefits".

It's a vicious cycle, and one that hasn't really been addressed in a meaningful way.

Crow Hunter
08-25-11, 17:58
As an aside, to derail the thread.

I think that as long as you are on government assistance (ie ward of the state) you should be treated as a child should be treated by their parents.

No breeding, no voting, no privileges.

As long as you are getting a welfare check, you have to take a birth control shot every time you pick up a check.

If you get food stamps, you are only allowed to buy healthy staple foods. If you don't have enough money to buy food you don't need to be buying expensive processed meals. (No chips, soft drinks, crab meat, porterhouse steaks or twinkies)

If you aren't responsibile enough to take care of yourself, you obviously can't be given the responsibility to vote. Besides, would you give your children the ability to vote on their allowances or punishments?

I know why common sense initiatives like this aren't put forth by government officials (some entire areas of the country would lose the ability to vote) but why don't the people push for this?

Just think about it.

Within 1 or 2 generations you would nearly wipe out all the leech blood lines and only those who truly have fallen on hard times will be getting the help they need to get them BACK ON THEIR FEET and foster a new resurgence of American exceptionalism rather than facilitating a culture of government slavery.

Of course, we all know the ultimate goal of elites on both sides of the aisle is a return to serfdom with them as manor lords controlling the lives of their subjects.:mad:

GermanSynergy
08-25-11, 18:00

I think that as long as you are on government assistance (ie ward of the state) you should be treated as a child should be treated by their parents.

As long as you are getting a welfare check, you have to take a birth control shot every time you pick up a check.

If you get food stamps, you are only allowed to buy healthy staple foods. If you don't have enough money to buy food you don't need to be buying expensive processed meals. (No chips, soft drinks, crab meat, porterhouse steaks or twinkies)

If you aren't responsibile enough to take care of yourself, you obviously can't be given the responsibility to vote. Besides, would you give your children the ability to vote on their allowances or punishments?

I know why common sense initiatives like this aren't put forth by government officials (some entire areas of the country would lose the ability to vote) but why don't the people push for this?

Just think about it.

Within 1 or 2 generations you would nearly wipe out all the leech blood lines and only those who truly have fallen on hard times will be getting the help they need to get them BACK ON THEIR FEET and foster a new resurgence of American exceptionalism rather than facilitating a culture of government slavery.

Of course, we all know the ultimate goal of elites on both sides of the aisle is a return to serfdom with them as manor lords controlling the lives of their subjects.:mad:

Great idea, but how would the Democrats get elected?

Abraxas
08-25-11, 20:04

Best moto pic I have seen in a while. The supply room at my last work had that up in it

SteyrAUG
08-25-11, 21:01

Just think about it.

Too intelligent, never gonna happen.

variablebinary
08-26-11, 00:09

Just think about it.

If you empower the government to do that to American citizens, what makes you think you will get a pass on similar treatment?

Moose-Knuckle
08-26-11, 03:09
The problem is you end up paying as a tax payer either way.

Pay them to go to high school
Pay their welfare
Pay their legal aid lawyer
Pay their prison stay

If someone doesn't complete HS, there is a 100% chance they will end up taking more than they ever paid in.

If they do complete HS, the odds are greater that they will get a job or get a degree and become tax payers. As a nation we literally cannot afford to have a massive population of high school dropouts.

High school dropout parents produce high school dropout kids, so the problem is exponential.

Exactly, hence my shovel and hoe comment. We ought to create labor programs for those who choose to loose. There are a lot of highways and roads that could use a couple of million pot hole fillers. If they work then they get food for that day, period.

ThirdWatcher
08-26-11, 04:25
We ought to create labor programs for those who choose to loose. There are a lot of highways and roads that could use a couple of million pot hole fillers.

I have thought this for quite awhile... to give money to someone and expect nothing in return is just plain stupid. :confused:

ChicagoTex
08-26-11, 05:27

Many processed foods are actually much cheaper than "healthy, staple foods" (unless your definition consists strictly of bread, eggs, rice, and ramen noodles). They also frequently last much longer, allowing people to go that much longer between store runs (saving money on gas) and offering them the opportunity to buy in bulk (saving more money). Not saying people shouldn't eat healthy, but the suggestion that eating healthy is universally cheaper is patently false (particularly without access to a farmer's market).

While I understand and even generally agree with your reasoning, I see voting as a fundamental right (not a privilege), and cannot support allowing the government to suspend it in the absence of a felony conviction. That's far too slippery a slope.

I know why common sense initiatives like this aren't put forth by government officials (some entire areas of the country would lose the ability to vote)

Unless your definition of "ward of the state" includes the acceptance of semi-earned tax credits (such as EIC, MIW, etc) , the bolded part is fallacious hyperbole and only serves to weaken your entire position. Moreover, the fact that you're pitching this plan to compromise certain fundamental rights of American citizens as "common sense initatives" reeks of the kind of bullshit we're constantly bombarded with from the anti-gun lobbyists.

So let me get this straight: your plan is to suspend the right to vote (a right the vast majority of those hovering around the poverty line don't excercise anyway, hence the excuse for "community organizers" like our illustrious president), give food stampers more expensive and healthier food, and dole out effective free birth control (in convenient and expensive to administer shot form) so they can screw around willy nilly without consequence (you seriously think these people are doing this wanting to have children?) and you think this will WIPE OUT government leeching? What you fail to realize is that in pretty much all points, what you're offering is an upgrade for them at our expense.

The_War_Wagon
08-26-11, 07:20
I'm in the WRONG line of work.... :(