PDA

View Full Version : Backpack plan

Kfgk14
08-24-11, 21:29
I came up with a new system for EDC, hiking, combat pack, really an all-use system, I'd like to here what you all think:

So basically, in this system you have your core pack. Its a single-pocket backpack, 24" tall, 12" wide, 10" deep. This gives you 2880 cubic inches. It is set up to contain your laptop, books, spare clothing, snacks, bug-out kit, etc. It has no internal organization, just a big bag. Top-loading, no MOLLE/PALS, just some compression straps and the connection points for the remaining components. It has a draw-string collar on top. A frame-sheet with removable aluminum stays for weight-carriage in the BOB/hiking role.

The next part of the bag is the top lid carry bag. This is the "brain" (in back-pack speak) of the pack. It contains your cell phone, poncho, flashlight, knife, multi-tool, fire kit, GPS, tablet, etc. This part is kind of like a Maxpedition Jumbo bag. It attaches on top of the pack over the draw-string top collar via Fastex buckles to the main bag on one side, Fastex buckles to compression straps on the other side. When the top lid is removed, these compression straps go to the bag attachment points and over the draw-string top. When you detach the top lid, it has a shoulder strap for carry. The bag's dimensions measure 4" tall (when mounted on the core pack) by 14" wide, by 12" deep for a total of 672 cubic inches. This would hold a medium-sized laptop, a few textbooks, etc. Inside, it is lined with loop Velcro to accept patches, organizers, etc. such as are sold by Maxpedition.

The entire system would be made of 500 denier nylon, with padded shoulder straps and YKK zippers. The system's total capacity would be 3552 cubic inches.

I've yet to see a system like this out there, and it's how I want to handle my EDC, if I can get this system made. I know that it seems big, but it compresses for carrying a summer loadout, and opens up for carrying full winter/overnight kit. In my line of work, I have to carry several day's worth of clothing, a shower kit to stay presentable for meetings, and I can go from board meetings to the bush and back in a day. I don't necessarily have time to go home and get changed, because I may find myself a good distance from home on the job.

Of course, I have no godly idea how to get this manufactured. I don't have the skill to stitch it myself, not by a long shot.

Does anyone on here have advise as to who could make this? Are there any companies that would do custom work of this nature?
Thanks.

ClintHall
08-24-11, 22:13
You've almost described a Kifaru G2 Zulu with an XTL. Check 'em out if you haven't already -- www.kifaru.net.

mattjmcd
08-24-11, 22:34
MR or Kifaru would likely fit the bill.

Kfgk14
08-25-11, 13:13
You've almost described a Kifaru G2 Zulu with an XTL. Check 'em out if you haven't already -- www.kifaru.net.

I've certainly looked at Kifaru for a pack, the issue I have is cost. I was hoping I could figure out how to get this made for less $$ than the Kifaru options. Also, I don't necessarily need all that MOLLE webbing, just weight to me.

Danny Boy
08-25-11, 16:15
Sounds like my MR SATL. It would probably be cheaper to have one that's manufactured and in production already than have a one-off custom made for you. That said, SO Tech have a custom shop with a lengthy turn around time.

ClintHall
08-25-11, 18:28
You can go custom, but I'd be surprised if you could meet your design reqs and still come in under what a used Kifaru setup would cost. In any event, I think Tactical Tailor may take custom work. Can't comment as to their quality, but I've seen it on their website.

pmarc
08-25-11, 20:00
Of course, I have no godly idea how to get this manufactured. I don't have the skill to stitch it myself, not by a long shot.

Does anyone on here have advise as to who could make this? Are there any companies that would do custom work of this nature?

Take a look at the DIYtactical forum, there are plenty of folks there that might take you order, even work it out together with you.

They also have better turnaround times than other companies cited above. Plus, since most of them are vets or active mil, they *really* understand attention to detail.

IIRC, I've seen someone from there here in M4c

keeganxt
08-25-11, 22:04
Zulu nylon maybe