"extreme"* path. :help:

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/truvu15_large.html

I have solid supply of essentials of survival:

Spam
Ammo
Beers
Female company

What have I missed? :cool:

But seriously, for those in the bulls eye of this thing, hope you have prepared, and let us know your experiences here.

I'm hoping for a low drama experience...

* = People's Republic of MA

ffhounddog
08-25-11, 12:24
Im working. Hopefully I still have Scotch.

Alex V
08-25-11, 12:38
All of NJ falls in that area as well. People are freaking out... not sure if they are just crazy or I am ignorant...

Got ammo, but never enough... right?

Should have enough food and water to hold us over...

On another note tho, the building I work in is right next to the Passaic River, and apperently a month before I started here the office was closed for a week due to flooding. We are on the 4th floor, but if you cant make it into the parking lot w/o a boat... whats the point. I was told to bring work home lol

WOOT possible vacation

wes007
08-25-11, 12:54
I was reading somewhere lastnite that if the winds reach over 50mph around long island their shutting off the bridges which is going to leave over 7million people trapped. It was said that if a category 3 strikes the damage will be worse than Katrina due to the fact that the structures on Long Island aren't remotely equipped to deal with a C3 hurricane. I was also reading that the American Red cross mentioned that their ability to provide aid to long island would be severely hindered because of geographical restrictions. Simply put, this event has the potential to be much worse than Katrina if not dealt with accordingly. One last thing I read which sent chills up my spine was the economic implications of such a disaster. The fact that our economy is already shit, and having wall street shut down for a few days spells nothing but disaster...

Now what I read was probably a worst case scenario but nonetheless some damn good food for thought. Even if your not within the path of the hurricane my advice would be to grab a few extra supplies just in case.

f.2
08-25-11, 13:13
looks like it'll skirt the coast and they'll only see the western semi-circle, weakest part of a storm where the speed of the storm subracts from the sustained wind. worst quadrant is the front right of course. the media is over blowing this and crying wolf once again.

SteyrAUG
08-25-11, 13:13
I'm not wishing it on anyone, but I sure am glad we are no longer in the center of the cone.

Good luck to you guys, get your preps in order.

GermanSynergy
08-25-11, 13:14
I was reading somewhere lastnite that if the winds reach over 50mph around long island their shutting off the bridges which is going to leave over 7million people trapped. It was said that if a category 3 strikes the damage will be worse than Katrina due to the fact that the structures on Long Island aren't remotely equipped to deal with a C3 hurricane. I was also reading that the American Red cross mentioned that their ability to provide aid to long island would be severely hindered because of geographical restrictions. Simply put, this event has the potential to be much worse than Katrina if not dealt with accordingly. One last thing I read which sent chills up my spine was the economic implications of such a disaster. The fact that our economy is already shit, and having wall street shut down for a few days spells nothing but disaster...

Now what I read was probably a worst case scenario but nonetheless some damn good food for thought. Even if your not within the path of the hurricane my advice would be to grab a few extra supplies just in case.

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure our leadership is on top of this. Have faith in your government!

SteyrAUG
08-25-11, 13:22
I am dead middle of that there magenta
"extreme"* path. :help:

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/truvu15_large.html

Spam
Ammo
Beers
Female company

But seriously, for those in the bulls eye of this thing, hope you have prepared, and let us know your experiences here.

I'm hoping for a low drama experience...

* = People's Republic of MA

Do you have a generator? They are pretty cheap these days.

Being able to run your refrigerator, a window AC unit and a microwave oven are luxuries after a storm. Make sure your propane grill is safe, you will need it.

Amazingly I found this post.

The SteyrAUG Guide To Hurricane (Or Tornado) Survival... (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/472796_.html)

Smuckatelli
08-25-11, 14:12

Spam
Ammo
Beers
Female company

A toga...

WillBrink
08-25-11, 15:52
Do you have a generator? They are pretty cheap these days.

Being able to run your refrigerator, a window AC unit and a microwave oven are luxuries after a storm. Make sure your propane grill is safe, you will need it.

Amazingly I found this post.

The SteyrAUG Guide To Hurricane (Or Tornado) Survival... (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/472796_.html)

I don't have a generator. That may be a future purchase. Good info, thanx.

WillBrink
08-25-11, 15:53
A toga...

You have a point there.

theblackknight
08-25-11, 16:03
Ive got

A plan
Cash
Full tank of gas w a spare tank for extended range
Ammo for all 3 guns
Multiple white lights and common batteries
Red Cross emergency radio
lots of non perishables
a couple MREs
bottles and camelbaks full
A good hide out up state that is cheap
Beer
Wife is on the pill

Add in some mountain biking and this was our camping trip a month ago, add a little rain.

Smuckatelli
08-25-11, 17:09
You have a point there.

We used to look forward to those at Lejuene. We would pawn everything....even if it was right after payday because the electricity would go out. with the money we would buy generic chips & beer (white can black lettering). Once we hit condition II all married bubbas would be sent home and we were secured to the barracks. Condition I, the OOD & SDNCO couldn't leave the Bn CP so our Toga party would begin.....

Irish
08-25-11, 17:37
Candles always come in handy... Good light source if the power gets knocked out and the girls like'em too! :D

WillBrink
08-25-11, 18:19
Candles always come in handy... Good light source if the power gets knocked out and the girls like'em too! :D

I'm never without candles and batteries, which run the ummm, flashlights...

Irish
08-25-11, 18:26
I'm never without candles and batteries, which run the ummm, flashlights...

Great minds think alike. :sarcastic:

theblackknight
08-25-11, 18:44
We used to look forward to those at Lejuene. We would pawn everything....even if it was right after payday because the electricity would go out. with the money we would buy generic chips & beer (white can black lettering). Once we hit condition II all married bubbas would be sent home and we were secured to the barracks. Condition I, the OOD & SDNCO couldn't leave the Bn CP so our Toga party would begin.....

These guys are doin it wrong for a hurrricane. You really only need silkies and boots.Oh and a glo belt, you know, just to be safe.

http://www.nafogel.com/oor/postImgs/1295405309.jpg

Hopefully I wake up and the website says those magical words" Base closed to all non-essential personal . . . .". It's kinda like a snow day with mandatory road trip.

RogerinTPA
08-25-11, 19:04
Agreed. 2 weeks of water, candles, cash, meds, and chow for pets. You guys along the east coast stay safe and watch for looters afterwards.

sl4mdaddy
08-26-11, 06:59
Ridin' it out mid-peninsula in the east end of the county. Wally-world was interesting last night....

tb-av
08-26-11, 08:14
All of NJ falls in that area as well. People are freaking out... not sure if they are just crazy or I am ignorant...

Several years ago when the tropical storm hit the east cost of VA I saw things I just couldn't believe. Rivers that all my life had barely had a ripple on them were flooded, took out my boat, docks, gas pumps and with the exception of the dock the rest were up on land.

Much further into the city I saw ponds that were a good 10 feet or more below the parking lot surface fill up and flood the parking lot. Trees down everywhere.

No electricity for 10 days I think.

BTW...... when your electricity goes out.. Be absolutely certain you have you stove/cook top turned OFF. People start trying to eat all their frozen food, pans, cans, boxes start stacking up. Someone invariably checks the stove and it doesn't work. Then it's used as a storage shelf...... until the electricity comes back on......

So yeah.... depending on what your location can handle water wise if that thing stalls over you it can create a quite a mess. It's more about the water than the wind. Although that was a TS so you are looking at winds that will be 30+ mph faster.

My personal non-scientific prediction is that by the time it gets to NJ it will be C1 at best or it will be tracking out east and maybe C2 turning out over the Atlantic. I think/hope it's going to loose a lot of power over NC though and maybe it will drop into the C1 / TS realm.

sl4mdaddy
08-26-11, 10:00
Several years ago when the tropical storm hit the east cost of VA I saw things I just couldn't believe. Rivers that all my life had barely had a ripple on them were flooded, took out my boat, docks, gas pumps and with the exception of the dock the rest were up on land.

Much further into the city I saw ponds that were a good 10 feet or more below the parking lot surface fill up and flood the parking lot. Trees down everywhere.

No electricity for 10 days I think.

Yup...sounds like Isabel. Supposedly, this storm will have the winds from the east and then switching to west after it passes pushing more water out as opposed to Isabel which had southerly winds driving the surge into the bay/rivers and such causing all the flooding.

We'll see... if this storm hits the peninsula singing Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" then were fooked.

obucina
08-26-11, 10:14

Got ammo, but never enough... right?

Should have enough food and water to hold us over...

On another note tho, the building I work in is right next to the Passaic River, and apperently a month before I started here the office was closed for a week due to flooding. We are on the 4th floor, but if you cant make it into the parking lot w/o a boat... whats the point. I was told to bring work home lol

WOOT possible vacation

they shouldnt be freakin' out, half your population lives in or has family in South Florida!

SteyrAUG
08-26-11, 12:14
Currently down to a Cat 2.

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_5day.gif

ucrt
08-26-11, 12:32

Years ago I was arriving at an Uncle's house in eastern Pa. when a minor hurricane was making landfall in NJ. I couldn't believe the preparations that were not made - trashcans blowing around, boats blown off of trailers, campers laying on their side, large windows unprotected, trampolines in the street, etc.

That was a minor storm and we were well inland but there was still a lot of damage that could have easily been prevented.

Fillup bathtubs, buckets, etc with water so you can at least flush toilets, wash your face, etc.

After Rita, water was in short supply; ice was a delicacy; gasoline cans were non-existent; wire/cable was next to impossible to get; tarps, rope, fans, etc. are very hard to find. The part I dread is after a storm, the sun comes out, humidity is high, it gets so hot, there is a lot of work to do, and a bath or shower is a luxury.

tb-av
08-26-11, 13:46
Yup...sounds like Isabel. Supposedly, this storm will have the winds from the east and then switching to west after it passes pushing more water out as opposed to Isabel which had southerly winds driving the surge into the bay/rivers and such causing all the flooding.

Either that or Gaston. It's the one that stalled out over us. I also may be mis-remembering this but it seemed like one came in on a full moon high tide as well.

The part I dread is after a storm, the sun comes out, humidity is high, it gets so hot, there is a lot of work to do, and a bath or shower is a luxury.

Yep, the only good news is you get so grossed out you don't feel like eating. I luckily have not had to do much cleaning up like the people that get flooded. You're right all the ice goes fast. Even when they get a semi-truck in still goes very fast and you have to be in the right place at the right time to get it. Yeah, it's hard to believe the things people think will not blow away when exposed to 100+ mph winds for a couple of hours.

sl4mdaddy
08-26-11, 14:07
Either that or Gaston. It's the one that stalled out over us. I also may be mis-remembering this but it seemed like one came in on a full moon high tide as well.

Yep, the only good news is you get so grossed out you don't feel like eating. I luckily have not had to do much cleaning up like the people that get flooded. You're right all the ice goes fast. Even when they get a semi-truck in still goes very fast and you have to be in the right place at the right time to get it. Yeah, it's hard to believe the things people think will not blow away when exposed to 100+ mph winds for a couple of hours.

I think you're right on the Gaston thing, forgot about that one. That's the one that turned downtown Richmond into a lake.

WillBrink
08-26-11, 15:51
All kidding aside, I treat this like anything else I can have an effect on the outcome: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

What I lose by not being prepared FAR outweighs what I lost by being prepared and not needing it.

I was well prepared for Y2K, which ended up essentially nothing, and I was happy about that and didn't feel the least bit silly for having been prepared.

HES
08-26-11, 22:58
Well I'm in Woodbridge, VA on business. So I'm stuck in a hotel. Ain't much I can do about it. So I have stocked up on the appropriate supplies:

Batteries
Crown Royal Black
Toilet Paper
Jim Beam
Coca-Cola
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Pringles

Other than that there aint much I can do. For folks like me the biggest problem is gonna be downed trees and power lines. Oh and if any kind soul is in the area, let me know. Ain't like I'm gonna be doing much over the next few days.

usmcvet
08-27-11, 10:26
Hopefully you have a few nice watches so you can keep time when the power goes out. :D

Irish
08-27-11, 10:29
Just read a report that 240,000 people are without electricity and store shelves are already barren... Be prepared.

Although the storm has weakened, stay safe east coasters!

WillBrink
08-27-11, 14:16
Just read a report that 240,000 people are without electricity and store shelves are already barren... Be prepared.

Although the storm has weakened, stay safe east coasters!

Hurricane is now here, and it's raining like a mother f-er outside currently.

Rmplstlskn
08-27-11, 14:50
Nothing but a few mild gusts and an occasional rain... Wife & daughter went shopping...

Rmpl

GermanSynergy
08-27-11, 15:53
Glad I stocked up on Wednesday.

Stay safe, everyone.

WillBrink
08-27-11, 17:24
Glad I stocked up on Wednesday.

Stay safe, everyone.

350k people without power and growing. It's not a major storm as hurricanes go, but it's a big one and could cause a lot of damage. People being stupid by nature will of course make it worse, but there's a potential for billions in damage, etc here for sure.

Artos
08-27-11, 18:29
keep yer heads down...i'm REALLY glad this one did not slip under cuba. 4 or 5 deaths reported which is mind boggling.

The entire state of tx needs rain desperatly but it would have turned into a monster in the gom. Have ridden out many and a generator is a must. I can run everything but the 220 with the 6000w I have now.

One day I'm gonna get a home back up unit so I can run the a/c too. I'm also going to force my wife and kids to go to stay with my sister so I don't have to hear "when's the electricity coming back on"??

Mauser KAR98K
08-28-11, 09:33
The Old Guard was still on duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier the whole storm.

usmcvet
08-28-11, 09:45
The Old Guard was still on duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier the whole storm.

They Are Hardcore!

chadbag
08-28-11, 10:47
There must be a lot of spammers on the east coast. My spam box had barely anything in it this morning. Less than half as many as I usually get when I wake up.

HES
08-28-11, 12:19
There must be a lot of spammers on the east coast. My spam box had barely anything in it this morning. Less than half as many as I usually get when I wake up.
WOW. You are right. This is very interesting.

LHS
08-28-11, 23:22
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/weather

So true...

usmcvet
08-29-11, 00:48
Been at work since 0900 Lots a flooding and scary shit. Going home now. Will bring a change of cloths tomorrow. Had to evacuate our PD, State Police HQ and FD! Water is going down now. Still raining.