PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with this 1x4 Optic?

RogerinTPA
08-25-11, 12:46
Anyone have any experience with this light weight 1x4 powered optic from IOR Valdada 1:4x32 Pitbull w/ Illuminated CQB Reticle? I'm looking for a light weight quality 1X4 to keep the weight down on one of my ARs. Opinions appreciated.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/VAL1-4PIT.aspx

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/VAL1-4PIT.jpg

Dave L.
08-25-11, 13:12
It looks pretty badass, but looking at the tube it may require a special mount.
I cannot find any info on what caliber the reticule is calibrated for.

ALCOAR
08-25-11, 13:21

Dave L.
08-25-11, 13:25
My $1200 would be going to NF and a baby NXS...

I agree.

RogerinTPA
08-25-11, 13:44
The write up states: "Heavy duty tactical medium height rings are included in the price." but I can see the point of no other mounting solutions.

TOrrock
08-25-11, 15:23
Buddy of mine has one on his SCAR-L and I've used it a little bit.

Seemed decent, but it didn't light my fire.

RogerinTPA
08-25-11, 18:13
I wish this scope was in my area. I'd like to check it out in person, but like all fairly new gadgets, they will invariably have characteristics that one may or may not be able to live with. After further review, the 35mm tube size is a real deal breaker. I'll probably end up with the compact NXS down the road.

Alaskapopo
08-25-11, 21:06
I read a review on it at another site. The illumination is weak like Nightforce. So its fine if you are ok with a black reticle.
Pat

just a scout
08-25-11, 21:33
I had one for 3 days.

Heavy. As a solid iron ruck. You're able to use it as an impact weapon.

The reticle is not very bright in the sun, but the glass was good and bright.

The rings sucked. Very heavy. Bad QC on the screws. One broke while mounting with a torque wrench. Then I went to zero on the range, couldn't hit the ground. As I started to pack up from frustration, I noticed the tops of the rings were loose. Every one of the screws snapped during firing. We torqued then to 35 ib and only one broke during installation. That pissed me off so bad I sent the whole thing back and got an EOTECH (which I just dumped for an RCO).

It needs 35mm rings and mount. Haven't seen very many of those out.

My take: Do Not Buy. Spend the shekels elsewhere.

Alaskapopo
08-25-11, 22:33
I had one for 3 days.

The rings sucked. Very heavy. Bad QC on the screws. One broke while mounting with a torque wrench. Then I went to zero on the range, couldn't hit the ground. As I started to pack up from frustration, I noticed the tops of the rings were loose. Every one of the screws snapped during firing. We torqued then to 35 ib and only one broke during installation. That pissed me off so bad I sent the whole thing back and got an EOTECH (which I just dumped for an RCO).

Larue offers 35 mm mounts.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

Pull down the option tab and 35mm is listed.
Pat

Magic_Salad0892
08-26-11, 05:41
Am I missing something....

IOR: 23oz...has almost no options to mount it ADM MOUNT (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/260/)...Not made in the U.S.A, nor is the CS/QC based in the U.S.A. Has great glass and is well built.

Baby NXS: 17oz...uses any ADM, Bobro, Larue mount, etc...made in U.S.A. and has impeccable U.S.A. based CS/QC. Has great glass and is truly built second to none. ** about 1" longer(reason for better mounting solutions along with not using a 35mm tube.)

My $1200 would be going to NF and a baby NXS, but then again I only used a pitbull on 2-3 occasions and conversely spend quite a lot of time of various baby nxs's.

S&B would like to have a word with you. However... it's almost a grand more. :|

Failure2Stop
08-26-11, 09:51
Baby NXS: 17oz...uses any ADM, Bobro, Larue mount, etc...made in U.S.A. and has impeccable U.S.A. based CS/QC.

Are you referring to the 1-4x NF Compact, or is there another one I don't know about?

RogerinTPA
08-26-11, 10:13
I had one for 3 days.

Jeez...I thought this scope was going to be the sheezit as far as being a nice quality compact 1x4 power scope that would be functional with and without an illuminated retcile. Guess not.:(

ALCOAR
08-26-11, 11:20

Magic_Salad0892
08-27-11, 07:02
Magic....I said it had great glass...not the best like European bird watching glass that SB uses. Secondly, SB shouldn't need to speak w/ me in regards to NF's toughness and overall durability being at worst second to none and imho..the most durable glass made currently, as I am almost positive they couldn't straight face me and proclaim the fact that they build a more durable or hard use optic than NF. Thereby I totally stand by my original statement that you highlighted.

I think at some point, you interpreted my statement as an attack.

BTW: I think to an extent you're right. I think I've decided to get the NXS 1-4X Compact(s) with Mil Dot reticle instead of the S&B 1-8X, for my carbines. You're one of the dudes here who kind of sold me on it. It was either that or USO. USO didn't have the reticle I wanted, the glass wasn't sharp enough, it didn't have ZeroStops, and it was really bulky. Also, it wasn't as easy to adjust as the NF was when I was borrowing it. Glad I got to use it first. I discounted S&B offerings a little while ago due to cost-to-benifit ratio.

Due to eye relief, length, and weight, it should be better for me.

Even if S&B did cram an Aimpoint into their scope, and I kind of like the Mil-Dot CC reticle a little more than the standard Mil Dot.