PDA

View Full Version : 2 is 1 and 1 is none. No kidding.

QuadBomb
08-25-11, 19:24
It's hurricane season folks, and here I sit right in Irene's path. The part of North Carolina where I live has seen plenty of hurricanes before and none of them turned out too bad, so I've tentatively decided to stay and weather the storm unless something changes drastically for the worse. My neighbors and landlord have been living here for years and they are not evacuating yet either.

Anyway, we've loaded up on the necessary supplies - fresh water, candles, spare batteries, and non-perishable food. And of course ammo. Not that I'm expecting mass looting like in the wake of Katrina, but you never know. God willing I'll never have to find out.

Unfortunately, as some of you know from reading a thread I started about it, my AR crapped the bed last month. The two set screws that hold the gas block in place came loose and the gas block walked forward, effectively sealing the gas port and making my AR a high-capacity single-shot weapon. She still shoots just fine, but the only way it will cycle is by hand. I don't have the right sized allen wrench or star driver to re-torque the set screws. Even if I did, it's too late now to get out to the range for a test fire. I told a local smith here in the area that I want him to replace the gas block with a normal front sight base with taper pins, and he said he'd order the parts for me. But guess what, he either hasn't ordered them or they haven't got in yet and he didn't answer my calls the last two days.

Well, the good news is I know my HK45c works just fine, and so does my 1911 and my wife's S&W 686. But, dammit, I want my AR. And the time when I feel like I need it the most, it is down for repairs that I can't do myself.

Take a lesson from me, folks. HAVE A FREAKING BACKUP WEAPON. That, and make sure you have the werewithal to fix things like this yourself.

Wiggity
08-25-11, 19:29
It's hurricane season folks, and here I sit right in Irene's path. The part of North Carolina where I live has seen plenty of hurricanes before and none of them turned out too bad, so I've tentatively decided to stay and weather the storm unless something changes drastically for the worse. My neighbors and landlord have been living here for years and they are not evacuating yet either.

Anyway, we've loaded up on the necessary supplies - fresh water, candles, spare batteries, and non-perishable food. And of course ammo. Not that I'm expecting mass looting like in the wake of Katrina, but you never know. God willing I'll never have to find out.

Unfortunately, as some of you know from reading a thread I started about it, my AR crapped the bed last month. The two set screws that hold the gas block in place came loose and the gas block walked forward, effectively sealing the gas port and making my AR a high-capacity single-shot weapon. She still shoots just fine, but the only way it will cycle is by hand. I don't have the right sized allen wrench or star driver to re-torque the set screws. Even if I did, it's too late now to get out to the range for a test fire. I told a local smith here in the area that I want him to replace the gas block with a normal front sight base with taper pins, and he said he'd order the parts for me. But guess what, he either hasn't ordered them or they haven't got in yet and he didn't answer my calls the last two days.

Well, the good news is I know my HK45c works just fine, and so does my 1911 and my wife's S&W 686. But, dammit, I want my AR. And the time when I feel like I need it the most, it is down for repairs that I can't do myself.

Take a lesson from me, folks. HAVE A FREAKING BACKUP WEAPON. That, and make sure you have the werewithal to fix things like this yourself.

I know what you mean. My AR is in the shop as well, but I have my 1911, glock 19, and .375 h&h ready to go.

Failure2Stop
08-25-11, 19:51
...or at least 1 quality AR.
;)

13MPG
08-25-11, 19:53
If you don’t mind shipping the upper send it to Robb or ADCO and have it done correctly. When they say they will do something they do it.

QuadBomb
08-25-11, 20:19
...or at least 1 quality AR.
;)

Touche.

johnson
08-25-11, 20:42
Would it be easier to just pin the gas block you already have?

Eurodriver
08-25-11, 21:07
The following is constructive criticism, please don't take offense.

Why the hell can't you run to the store and get an ALLEN WRENCH to fix your weapon? Why buy ammo, water, food, etc etc in preparation for a potential Category 4 hurricane but not buy the $5 item to fix the best tool you have to protect all that?

Seems foolish to me to rely on handguns when you have an AR that only needs an allen wrench to be fixed. Even without test firing, if worse comes to worse you can at least hope that it works.

markm
08-25-11, 21:21
Set screwed blocks are only acceptable in the competition homo realm.

A pinned forged steel FSB is almost the FIRST requirement in any AR I own.

ra2bach
08-25-11, 21:26

sounds like a trip to the hardware store for an allen wrench or star driver (torx) would get you up and running in the meantime. if it was running fine before you shouldn't have any functional problems if you just slide it back in place. what sights are you using?

opmike
08-25-11, 21:30
When you get a chance, just send your rifle in to ADCO, and have them pin the gas block into place.

A properly pinned and Rocksetted (for any remaining set screws) gas-block isn't going anywhere unless supernatural forces are at work.

0reo
08-25-11, 23:07
Please forgive me in advance for this light ribbing...

What kind of self respecting man doesn't have a basic set of tools that, among other things, includes both metric & standard folding allen sets? Maybe I just take it for granted being one of a long line of handy-men in my family. Reality is. If SHTF you may or may not need a gun but I guarantee you a basic tool set will pay for itself many times over. May even save your life.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-25-11, 23:34
Hardware stores usually have what you need. If I dont have a certain tool, I buy it at Lowes because I KNOW I will need it again.

This reminds me why I love my FSB's....

NWPilgrim
08-26-11, 02:14
Although this situation may be easily repaired or avoided, the adage is still wise advice. I have two of every weapon and most tools I think are essential, and even of less essential ones. I have spare parts and every tool I have conceived of needing, yet I know Mr. Murphy likes to find that one part or combination of events that hose up your one and only.

Two BCM/LMT AR15, 3 Garands, 3 Glocks .40 S&W, 2 M1 Carbines, 2 .22LR Ruger pistols, 3 .22LR rifles. Plus other rifles and handguns that can fill in if needed. Having multiples not only is good backup to your primary arm, they can be used to arm visiting friends and family, and for handing down to multiple children or grandchildren.

TMS951
08-26-11, 08:25
To me a basic set of tools to work on your weapon is more important than a back up weapon.

A set of allens is a basic tool that I couldn't imagine not owning. Its like not owning a hammer or screw drivers. It just leaves you reliant on other people for some of the most basic things. I have always thought its good to be self sufficient, at least in basic things.

Doc Safari
08-26-11, 09:18
If you only have the money for one, buy the best you can. Having said that, unless you are skilled and knowledgeable at repairing your particular SHTF weapon yourself, have a spare in case your primary one goes down. My eventual goal is to obtain armorer-level training on the repair and inspection of AR's, but until then I plan to always have more than one.

NWPilgrim
08-26-11, 11:17
Besides the basic shop tools (like hex key wrenches), if you own a firearm you should have the basic gunsmithing tools as well: gunsmith screwdriver set, brass/nylon hammer, punches, and any special tool needed for disassembly of your firearm. If you have no mechanical inclination then you definitely want a spare or two.

Even if you have the tools and knowledge, though, "two is one and one is none" is good advice. Things seem to always breakdown right when you need them the most. If your rifle is not operational after a malfunction drill then it is nice to have a spare ready at hand and work on the first when when convenient.

QuadBomb
08-26-11, 12:35
The following is constructive criticism, please don't take offense.

Why the hell can't you run to the store and get an ALLEN WRENCH to fix your weapon? Why buy ammo, water, food, etc etc in preparation for a potential Category 4 hurricane but not buy the $5 item to fix the best tool you have to protect all that?

Seems foolish to me to rely on handguns when you have an AR that only needs an allen wrench to be fixed. Even without test firing, if worse comes to worse you can at least hope that it works.

I'm afraid the fail is much worse than that. When I was at the store, I didn't get an allen wrench set because I didn't know what type of driver the set screws required. I didn't know because I didn't check until yesterday. I didn't check because I planned on getting a FSB pinned and I didn't plan on a hurricane. In fact I didn't even know the gas block had set screws until the gun crapped out on me last month, because I assumed that an $800+ upper receiver from a semi-custom shop would use pins instead of set screws to hold the gas block in place.

I made it to walmart and got myself an allen wrench set today. At least I can try to tighten it up now. But since the whole point of this thread is to admonish people not to make the same mistakes as ol' Quadbomb, I take no offense at all.

GunnutAF
08-26-11, 13:26
OP shame on you if thats your only long gun! Double shame on you if thats your only AR. Who only has one AR?:jester:

QuadBomb
08-26-11, 13:44
OP shame on you if thats your only long gun! Double shame on you if thats your only AR. Who only has one AR?:jester:

This guy does. A temporary condition, albeit a long one since new acquisitions aren't high on my priority list right now. Although, for what it's worth I wouldn't be down to just one long gun if I hadn't sold my 870. Who knew.

0reo
08-26-11, 16:35
Yea but as the sayin goes, "Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it [if it works.]"

;)

JW1069
08-26-11, 17:01
No point in worrying about what you don't have. Stay low profile and dance with the ones you've got.

Hopefully, Irene doesn't tear things up too much for you. At least now you have a Golden excuse for adding a top tier AR into the safe when the weather clears. :D

TXBob
08-26-11, 17:08
Don't miss with that first shot.

And get yourself a backup afterwards. AR/Garand/Shotgun/All 3. ALso I recently read an article somehwere about British rifleman and Botl action rifles--properly used they can lay down some mad fire (sniper hide i think)!

In the meantime, hunker down and stay safe. Mother nature appears to be attempting to do what the American Vote cannot--clean out the Eastern Seaboard:jester:

chamber143
08-26-11, 19:04
couldnt agree more...first ar i ripped that fsb and lost it for a flip up. If i knew it wouldnt hurt i would punch myself in the face as hard as i could for that mistake. My go to BCM and every other ar i own has a fixed f fsb. I agree that a pinned fsb is mandatory for me know. I myself am in between charlotte and boone...i will be praying for ya brother. stay safe.

Kfgk14
08-26-11, 20:42
Lowes. Wallet. Allen set.
Functioning rifle.
You're welcome.

Odie Dozer
08-26-11, 20:46
Good luck back there, make sure your pistols are well lubed! Man I'm glad I live in WA, only thing I have to worry about is when the next volcano is gonna blow.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-26-11, 20:48
I assumed that an $800+ upper receiver from a semi-custom shop would use pins instead of set screws to hold the gas block in place.

What is the semi-custom shop that you used?

QuadBomb
08-26-11, 21:03
What is the semi-custom shop that you used?

AR Performance.

Clint
08-26-11, 21:14
I made it to walmart and got myself an allen wrench set today. At least I can try to tighten it up now. But since the whole point of this thread is to admonish people not to make the same mistakes as ol' Quadbomb, I take no offense at all.

Glad you're on your way to getting her fixed up.

Stay safe in the storm. It looks like it's going to be a big one.

ryr8828
08-27-11, 06:39
This guy does. A temporary condition, albeit a long one since new acquisitions aren't high on my priority list right now. Although, for what it's worth I wouldn't be down to just one long gun if I hadn't sold my 870. Who knew.
Don't beat yourself up too bad, you still have one more ar than the people who have no ar.
I've always had allen wrenches and basic tools but I can understand how a city dweller who doesn't fix stuff would be without tools. I didn't gather up brass hammer, punches and such until I built my first stripped lower, and that was after I already had bought 2 complete rifles.

GunnutAF
08-27-11, 15:30
QuadBomb
No biggy I was just busting your chops! Been there when I was young and dumb- but my only rifle was a bolt gun-not real easy to break a bolt and if you did you deserved it!:D Now I have enough to arm a small army!;)