PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense

m&pstrapped
08-25-11, 20:10
I'm looking into purchasing my first AR. I know very little about ARs but I have decided on a Daniel Defense. Bang for buck and everything I've read on this forum, I think a Daniel Defense is my best option. My questions are:

Is there any difference in durability or reliability with the different models of Daniel Defense ARs?

Where can I get the best deal on one?

Should or could anyone convince me not to get a Daniel Defense?

GermanSynergy
08-25-11, 20:13
No difference in durability among the different DD models that I'm aware of.

Several of the site sponsors here stock them and have good deals on them.

No reason on earth to not get a DD if you're looking for a quality AR.

FYI- using the "search" feature here will yield you a treasure trove of info on DD carbines.

I'm looking into purchasing my first AR. I know very little about ARs but I have decided on a Daniel Defense. Bang for buck and everything I've read on this forum, I think a Daniel Defense is my best option. My questions are:

Is there any difference in durability or reliability with the different models of Daniel Defense ARs?

duece71
08-25-11, 20:44
I have a DDM4V3 (midlength FSB) and it has been exceptional. It does not however like Tula 55 gr. I doubt many ARs do like Tula 55 gr. Good rifle, get one. I would have gone with the DDM4V5 as now I feel I would want to add my own sights. I am happy with the V3 though.

J8127
08-25-11, 20:52
I have a DDM4V3 (midlength FSB) and it has been exceptional. It does not however like Tula 55 gr. I doubt many ARs do like Tula 55 gr. Good rifle, get one. I would have gone with the DDM4V5 as now I feel I would want to add my own sights. I am happy with the V3 though.

I have the v2 and wish I had a v1, I want the 12" FSB rail.

msstate56
08-25-11, 21:01
"Good Motherfu*king choice" as fans of Samuel Jackson Beer would say.

But seriously, DD make great products. I have several of their barrels and uppers, with several thousand rounds of Bear ammo through them. They tend to be very accurate for carbine barrels as well. Just pick the version that suits you and run with it. G&R and Rainier Arms are good places to look for one.

ramsker
08-25-11, 21:03
I love my DD M4XV. Like you, I was brand new to AR's . . . hell, I was basically new to rifles except for shooting .22's growing up. After a bunch of research on this site and some incredible help from the folks here, I settled on the DD a few months ago and it was my first AR purchase.

You'll get excellent advice from this site. I can only comment on my DD and it's been outstanding thus far.

kwelz
08-25-11, 21:36
DD and Noveske are pretty much all I run anymore. In fact the only other company I even consider besides those two is BCM.

aiko
08-25-11, 22:21
The DD M4V5 was my second AR and first big boy AR after my DPMS (which has been fine). Have had the DD for 3-4 months and put about 800 rounds through it. No issues at all, have kept to major brand name ammo. Ordered 2K rounds of PMC XTac which is seems to like pretty well.

Beat Trash
08-25-11, 23:14
The durability and quality between the various models is the same. The only deciding factor between the models would be what features you personally are looking for.

2theXtreme
08-25-11, 23:34
I have the v2 and wish I had a v1, I want the 12" FSB rail.

Meee too!!!

But I absolutely love my DDM4! Go for it! You will be happy with your purchase. I suggest going to a local store that has some to handle and figure out how you want yours set up and purchase accordingly. Do heavy research to make sure you have no buyers remorse on the model you choose. There are infinite options out there.

boomhower
08-26-11, 08:32
I've got two V3's and have been thrilled. No issues and eats Tula just fine.(though only around 100 rounds of Tula)

munch520
08-26-11, 08:43
"Good Motherfu*king choice" as fans of Samuel Jackson Beer would say.

:lol: haven't heard that in a while. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItxVWTikGI

Seriously though, I have been very impressed with both their product and CS. You can't go wrong with DD...grab a middy and shoot the hell out of it.

JasonM
08-26-11, 09:38
The products are great, and if they don't sell a config you want, call them and they will build it for you.

m&pstrapped
08-26-11, 09:53
Thanks for all the info everyone!

I am having a hard time finding anyone in the DFW Texas area that carries Daniel Defense and the ones that do carry them don't have them in stock!

I'm leaning towards the V3 LW simply because I want to start training with it and learn to shoot well with the stock sites. Then I'll purchase some sort of red dot scope! Shopping and researching is half the fun for me so thanks again for all the info.

So whats a good red dot scope to mount on this? The only other thing I might do, at times, is mount a scope for varmit hunting. But mostly the gun will be prepped for HD.

J8127
08-26-11, 10:00
Just to help you with the semantics, it is not a red dot scope. There are Red Dot Sights (RDS) or magnified optics ("scopes" of various power). For HD you are going to want a non-magnified RDS, quality optics and mounts will also return-to-zero so you can switch between your HD RDS and your Varminting scope.

There are a lot of RDS's out there, but this community is going to suggest Aimpoint. Don't buy a cheap knock-off one.

m&pstrapped
08-26-11, 10:13
Just to help you with the semantics, it is not a red dot scope. There are Red Dot Sights (RDS) or magnified optics ("scopes" of various power). For HD you are going to want a non-magnified RDS, quality optics and mounts will also return-to-zero so you can switch between your HD RDS and your Varminting scope.

There are a lot of RDS's out there, but this community is going to suggest Aimpoint. Don't buy a cheap knock-off one.

Ahh haa.... ok thanks. Yea the more I read on here the more I realize how much I have to learn!

munch520
08-26-11, 10:41

It may sound odd to follow that advice with 'look on eBay' but seriously, look. If you're buying an AP for $100...well yea it's fake. But I picked up a few Comp M2s + mount for $300-320 and they work great and are authentic. A little banged up - but they're better that way. Just an easy way to save a couple hundred.

TXBob
08-26-11, 12:05
Thanks for all the info everyone!

I am having a hard time finding anyone in the DFW Texas area that carries Daniel Defense and the ones that do carry them don't have them in stock!

This. Everything has been out of stock even on the interwebs.

i have no problem locating various RRA, BM, DPMS, Black Rain, and various local brew brands though. Notice I said "locating" not "purchasing"

Got my aimpoint in a deal, I think from AIM surplus. Micro T-1 + DD mount. Keep an eye on them. Also LaRue has packages for Aimpoints+Mounts.

fdxpilot
08-26-11, 12:57

Actually, I'm a big fan of the new EOTech XPS sights. Battery life is not as good as an Aimpoint, but I like everything else better.

aiko
08-26-11, 16:14
Actually, I'm a big fan of the new EOTech XPS sights. Battery life is not as good as an Aimpoint, but I like everything else better.

Have to agree, have 2- one paired with a Gen 2 Eotech magnifier.

chamber143
08-26-11, 19:15
i personally run BCM and i mean run the shit out of them and they chew up and spit out any and everything i feed the bitch. That being said DD is also top notch. It is the only rail that run anymore. Not sure DD is cheaper than BCM and they are on the same level as far as many are concerned. Only problem is finding what you want in stock. I had about 1100 without the T1 and i am not sure that DD is cheaper. Either way if you buy BCM i would go through Bravo company usa or grant at g and r tactical. If you go with DD go through Grant. Truly a pleasure to deal with and he gets it right. Let us know what ya did.

BountyXP
08-26-11, 21:51

The only real difference amongst the models will be rail options, barrel lengths, barrel types, accessories, etc. They all have the quality parts you'd want like the cold hammer forged chrome barrels and all the features listed on "The Chart." Buy with confidence.

I picked up DD M4v5 custom built rifle (different rails, butt stock, etc) for a ridiculous deal through forum member JR Tactical...look him up and see what he can do for you. PM me if you have any questions.

Ironbutt
08-26-11, 23:00
I just finished a DD M4 V3 middy/PSA lower build a few months ago. Daniel Defense makes top tier stuff.

Midway has V3's for $950. The upper can be shipped by UPS or USPS to your house. You can get a PSA lower for $80, (Shipped to your FFL) & a lower build kit, including M4 stock & A2 pistol grip for $100. I used the MagPul MOE kit, which was a bit more, but you get the picture.

AR builds are very easy & you can save a lot of $.

m&pstrapped
08-27-11, 07:54
Thanks again for all the info!

I will have to look in to a BCM as well. There is more to learn on all this before I decide. Sounds like I can't go wrong with DD or BCM!