PDA

View Full Version : Which 308AR to get? ($3500 rifle budget)

coues7
08-25-11, 21:24
I have $3500 to spend on an 308AR rig. What would you recommend? Larue, GAP, APA, DPMS Sass, LMT, POF?

Reagans Rascals
08-25-11, 21:35
I would say save a little longer, despite the growing pain of the money burning a hole in your butt cheek, maybe say an extra $1,500 and purchase an SR-25.... just my opinion

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Rifles-Knights-Armament/c2_13/p1433/Knights-Armament-SR-25-EM-Rifle-.308/product_info.html

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Rifles-Knights-Armament/c2_13/p61/Knights-Armament-SR-25-Light-Weight-Match/product_info.html

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Rifles-Knights-Armament/c2_13/p1432/Knights-Armament-SR-25-EM-Carbine-.308/product_info.html

DocHolliday01
08-25-11, 21:38
Without knowing your purpose for the rifle, LMT MWS.

constructor
08-25-11, 22:55
I have $3500 to spend on an AR10 rig. What would you recommend? Larue, GAP, APA, DPMS Sass, LMT, POF?

Doubt you can get a Gap for $3500 but maybe...then
Armalite -since it is really the only AR10 and best deal for the money
Larue
LMT
Any of them are capable of shooting very well IF...they aren't overgassed and shooting flames out of the ejection port.

Rattlehead
08-25-11, 23:01
I have $3500 to spend on an AR10 rig. What would you recommend? Larue, GAP, APA, DPMS Sass, LMT, POF?

What is this going to be used for?

I would also recommend a search.

Kchen986
08-25-11, 23:08
The GAP10 has a base price of $2,560. With all the goodies (flutes, color, muzzle device and PRS stock, it's roughly $3,445).

I know you posted this on the Hide, and there you really see the GAP10 shine. If I were in your shoes, and building a precision AR10 with a $3,500 budget just for the rifle, I'd look in either a Larue OBR, or the GAP10.

I personally think the GAP10's are more aesthetically pleasing, but the OBR's a proven performer.

ucrt
08-25-11, 23:09

====================================

With your listing DPMS in the mix, I'd say the following:
- search, read and study a little more
OR
- determine a "mission" (purpose) for the rifle
OR
...just guessing but maybe...stop trolling.

But maybe it's just me...

coues7
08-25-11, 23:56
I had originally started rounding parts up for an Iron Ridge Armament build, but has since changed my mind and heading in another direction. I already have a GAP bolt gun. It doesn't shoot all that well for me, so I'm hesitant about that, but I've seen plenty GAP AR10's shoot and shoot lights out.

g5m
08-26-11, 00:54
I had originally started rounding parts up for an Iron Ridge Armament build, but has since changed my mind and heading in another direction. I already have a GAP bolt gun. It doesn't shoot all that well for me, so I'm hesitant about that, but I've seen plenty GAP AR10's shoot and shoot lights out.

I don't know how well your GAP bolt gun is shooting but I'd imagine GAP would like to hear what's going on with it.

JoshNC
08-26-11, 09:11
LaRue OBR is right around $3k. Then save a little longer for some decent glass. Mine is silly accurate.

madcratebuilder
08-26-11, 12:02
Noveske, ArmaLite or LMT would cover about any application.

Bad Medicine
08-26-11, 13:39
Check out PWS

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=208&idcategory=25

I will never go with another AR platform after this one it is amazing!

ccosby
08-26-11, 13:50
Noveske, ArmaLite or LMT would cover about any application.

I'd add larue to that list as well. Really comes down to what you want to do with it.

If you go armalite or noveske you just need to watch for the holiday sales armalite has been doing on mags. I have a dozen or so of their 25 round gen 2 mags that were either 22.50 or 25 bucks a piece when they had them on sale.

Bad Medicine
08-26-11, 13:53
I'd add larue to that list as well. Really comes down to what you want to do with it.

If you go armalite or noveske you just need to watch for the holiday sales armalite has been doing on mags. I have a dozen or so of their 25 round gen 2 mags that were either 22.50 or 25 bucks a piece when they had them on sale.

Yes well the PWS MK214 takes pmags! :dance3:

Iraqgunz
08-26-11, 14:05
I would never purchase an AR10 from Armalite. I think your best options given your price would be the LMT. If you want to save longer then the KAC would be a good choice.

The LaRue OBR seems to be getting some real positive press as well.

I wouldn't even consider POF or DPMS.

Titleist
08-26-11, 14:08
LaRue PredatAR or the OBR. Wasn't exactly thrilled with my experience with the SR-25 in comparison.

Bad Medicine
08-26-11, 14:13
I would never purchase an AR10 from Armalite. I think your best options given your price would be the LMT. If you want to save longer then the KAC would be a good choice.

The LaRue OBR seems to be getting some real positive press as well.

I wouldn't even consider POF or DPMS.

KAC would definitely be my other choice!

JPB
08-26-11, 14:50
Check out PWS

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=208&idcategory=25

I will never go with another AR platform after this one it is amazing!

How much do you know about this product? I've been really interested in the PWS stuff for a while but haven't heard much about their products. One of these mk2 rifles is sitting on the rack at a local store. I'm tempted to pick it up. Not really wanting a gas piston rifle, but this one looks pretty good.

Bad Medicine
08-26-11, 15:02
How much do you know about this product? I've been really interested in the PWS stuff for a while but haven't heard much about their products. One of these mk2 rifles is sitting on the rack at a local store. I'm tempted to pick it up. Not really wanting a gas piston rifle, but this one looks pretty good.

This is my second PWS my first was a MK116 before it was classified as that. The MK 214 is lightweight, low recoil, and mags are cheap and easy to find. PWS claims to have eliminated piston tilt and I would agree after 2500 rounds in my 116 there isn't any buffer tube wear or damage done to the bolt. PWS claims to have taken the piston design from the AK47 and the need for an adjustable gas tube has been eliminated as well. They are great to deal with, sometimes hard to get a hold of due to high call volume but they are pretty good about emails.

IMO scratch POF off the list I was camparing a buddies POF it is lighter and slimmer. Also I hear nothing but bad reviews about it, PWS is the only piston AR that I would own the rest fall extremely short on reliability.

JPB
08-26-11, 15:33
This is my second PWS my first was a MK116 before it was classified as that. The MK 214 is lightweight, low recoil, and mags are cheap and easy to find. PWS claims to have eliminated piston tilt and I would agree after 2500 rounds in my 116 there isn't any buffer tube wear or damage done to the bolt. PWS claims to have taken the piston design from the AK47 and the need for an adjustable gas tube has been eliminated as well. They are great to deal with, sometimes hard to get a hold of due to high call volume but they are pretty good about emails.

IMO scratch POF off the list I was camparing a buddies POF it is lighter and slimmer. Also I hear nothing but bad reviews about it, PWS is the only piston AR that I would own the rest fall extremely short on reliability.

So it looks like the forend rails bolt directly to the barrelnut and gas block itself? They seem quite proud of their non free float system. Accordingly, it would seem like accuracy would take a secondary priority, but they use a SS barrel. Interesting rifle for sure, I may run down there and check it out.

mrosamilia
08-26-11, 16:02
LaRue PredatAR or the OBR. Wasn't exactly thrilled with my experience with the SR-25 in comparison.

Could you elaborate or PM me interested?????????

Titleist
08-26-11, 16:03
Could you elaborate or PM me interested?????????

Feel free to PM me your questions, that said it's not like my experiences were secret squirrel or anything.

Bad Medicine
08-26-11, 17:40
So it looks like the forend rails bolt directly to the barrelnut and gas block itself? They seem quite proud of their non free float system. Accordingly, it would seem like accuracy would take a secondary priority, but they use a SS barrel. Interesting rifle for sure, I may run down there and check it out.

From what I understand the long-stroke piston makes free float rails impossible. IMO this rifle is as accurate as Ill ever need it to be, I'd say at least check it out. I can honestly say I don't have a single regret about buying either one.

duece71
08-26-11, 20:45
The LMT MWS is an excellent rifle. The price won't break the bank and you will have money left over for an optic (maybe) and some ammo. LMT does NOT disappoint.

coues7
08-26-11, 21:18
Does anyone have any experience with doing a complete build from scratch?

ra2bach
08-26-11, 23:51
The LMT MWS is an excellent rifle. The price won't break the bank and you will have money left over for an optic (maybe) and some ammo. LMT does NOT disappoint.

how accurate can this gun be?

JPB
08-27-11, 00:28
how accurate can this gun be?

Trident82 posts some pretty sweet groups with his MRP. I haven't seen anyone post representative groups with the MWS.

TXBob
08-27-11, 09:55
Does anyone have any experience with doing a complete build from scratch?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72044&page=1

Also do a search for the Mega ma-ten. Many folks start with that.

ra2bach
08-27-11, 13:53
Trident82 posts some pretty sweet groups with his MRP. I haven't seen anyone post representative groups with the MWS.

seen it. but I was interested in the MWS. anyone have any anecdotal info - 1 inch... 3/4 inch...?

KG_mauserman
08-27-11, 15:13
Shooting SMK 175's with 44.7 grains of Varget My LMT MWS gave me a ten shot 3/4" group with a CL barrel! I only had ten rounds with that set up as I was going through a series of loads to see which my rifle liked best. I plan on loading up some more and seeing if I can repeat that performance. With 168 SMK's with 44.5 grains of Varget it will hold 7/8" consistently.

I have really come to love my MWS for what it is. The chrome lined barrel is extremely accurate and consistent. I was thinking about getting one of the SS barrels, but I just can't justify it with the performance I'm getting out of the CL barrel.

If you are looking to run and gun with it there are better options out there (SCAR 17, PredetAR, ect.). I would love to see a super light weight barrel come out for them but that just dosen't seem to be in the cards. If you are not looking for a feather weight 7.62 then the MWS is an excellent system.

znztivguy
08-27-11, 22:22
Currently I am gathering parts for my build...
- Mega Maten Monolithic Set
- Giessele trigger
- Noveske 18 inch barrel
- Armalite Carrier, Armalite parts
- PRI Gas Buster Charging handle
- PWS 308 flash hider/compensator
- Magpul Precision Stock
- ELCAN 308 specter scope.

I think once built it can be pretty competitive to those other folks guns....

Nevermiss
09-01-11, 12:40
I have a few for different reasons (LaRue PredatAR, OBR and JP LRP-07). They are all slightly different and you really need to think about what you want from this rifle. I like them all, but the JP is my favorite to shoot.

sgtbutt
09-01-11, 16:21
I am also currently doing a Mega MA TEN build. My Mono set is shipping tomorrow. I'll be getting a Rainier 18 ss bbl just not sure on their Match or Select.
DPMS BCG
DPMS LPK
MAGPUL Furniture
Geissele SSA

Not sure on glass yet but I'll be swapping back and forth with what I have to find a dedicated piece.