PDA

View Full Version : Military suicides linked to low Omega-3 levels - Los Angeles Times

chadbag
08-26-11, 11:57
Military suicides linked to low Omega-3 levels - Los Angeles Times

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/24/news/la-heb-suicide-military-omega3-20110824

---

An Undocumented Worker
08-26-11, 19:54
I don't eat any fish whatsoever, and don't have any depression. I don't buy it.

However there has been a link to dietary fat/cholesterol to depression. That being fats are necessary for mental health, and vegetarians as group are more prone to depression.

chadbag
08-26-11, 20:01
I don't eat any fish whatsoever, and don't have any depression. I don't buy it.

However there has been a link to dietary fat/cholesterol to depression. That being fats are necessary for mental health, and vegetarians as group are more prone to depression.

You do realize that a sample of 1 is worthless? (And DHA is found in lots of other things besides fish -- fish is just the most famous example of Omega 3 / DHA source)

There are lots of other studies that confirm mental wellness and DHA link of some sort.

An Undocumented Worker
08-26-11, 20:04
You do realize that a sample of 1 is worthless? (And DHA is found in lots of other things besides fish -- fish is just the most famous example of Omega 3 / DHA source)

There are lots of other studies that confirm mental wellness and DHA link of some sort.

Yes I am fully aware of that, yet I'm sure you know there is no magic bullet. While DHA may help it is only one tiny piece to a much larger puzzle.

chadbag
08-26-11, 20:11
Yes I am fully aware of that, yet I'm sure you know there is no magic bullet. While DHA may help it is only one tiny piece to a much larger puzzle.

I don't think the article claimed it was a magic bullet. There was significant differences though between low and non-low DHA in terms of the suicide rate.

Mental well being has a lot to do with nutrition.